ImageImageImageImageImage

Update: First scrimmage July 23rd vs. Dallas

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,185

Re: Update: Two Lakers players test positive for COVID-19 

Post#81 » by LAKESHOW » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:00 am

I hope not.. But im thinkin at this point, its over. If more and more players test positive, the rosters are gonna be jacked. If we play for example, utah without gobert and mitchell, they minus well wave the white flag. That series is over in 2. There are so many medical Questions unanswered.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,829

Post#82 » by Beethoven » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:13 am

They can recover. Given a couple of months or three they all can play none of them are physically sick. Im sure they're keeping their heads above water and perhaps even practicing and keeping in shape privately
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
jigga_man
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,104

Post#83 » by jigga_man » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:15 am

Beethoven wrote:
jigga_man wrote:The season will likely be cancelled at this point. The stories about the NBA resuming play in empty arenas is non nonsensical when the CDC advises everyone should be practicing social distancing, which doesn't exclude the players.

If this pandemic lasts past the summer, they'll have two options. Either do a quick playoff and come back for a shortened season in Jan 2021, or start training camp in the fall and start a new season in late 2020/early 2021. The latter sounds much more feasible to me while the former sounds like a logistics nightmare with no rest for all parties involved.

You don't make sense ...if pandemic goes into October :

According to you ..Only choices are
1 shortened playoffs and shorten next season
2 cancel this season by having training camp pushed bit later and start new season at latest early 2021 ...which is a shortened new season

So shorten new season either way but just cancel this season or play short playoffs?

There is more invested time into this season ; if you're reasoning shorten next season which will make it TWO asterisk seasons.. Just cancel next season and let this season play out in its entirety whenever it starts back.

There's more than two ways and that makes more sense in all directions which one of them is what i just mentioned.

It's not making any sense to you because you're not thinking from a business perspective. "let this season play out in its entirety whenever it starts back" is lunacy. NBA is a business and revenue are tied to multiple streams, including TV contracts and its prominent values lies during certain times in the year.

After CBA lockouts ended did the nba made sure to schedule the season back when they were able to extract the most value (December/January to June) while still able return back to their normal schedule the following season. Using the logic ""let this season play out in its entirety whenever it starts back." the NBA will never be back on schedule and their contractual obligations with TV providers would diminish.

When it comes to billions worth of revenue, idiotic logic like 'asterisk' strikes are irrelevant. There is a reason why there are multiple stories of the NBA desperate to get the season back by the summer. If they don't, it will be too late and they'll know worst case they need to start the next season by late 2020/2021.
Beethoven
Head Coach

Post#84 » by Beethoven » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:41 am

Two curtailed seasons ( before the on-time, correct start of the 2022-2023 season) which you reason as one of the options, is as legitimate of a decision as one fully played out season and one canceled season (before the on-time, correct start of the 2022-2023 season) , meaning , in my belief, there is more than just one or two options.
Either way brings them back to schedule and contractual obligations w tv providers will not diminish because this is a situation affecting not only nba but transcends to all businesses at the moment. Once this pandemic passes it is not like the TV execs are going to wave their finger at the nba diminishing any relationships bc we "couldn't just make ends meet " ..no they will understand.

Cba lockouts occurred before a season began , so it makes sense to curtail or cancel the season at hand, not like this scenario where the season has been half played out then suspended due to some issue.

Whether desperate to start a delayed new season or keep the existing season ..it still is nba play in some form and it will keep viewership interests more alive to see something played out already to finish than to just cancel and restart.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Post#85 » by myersia » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:23 pm

Hey guys. Just wanted to wish everybody well. Today us Michiganders joined y’all in shutting things down and staying at home. Stay safe everybody
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#86 » by Landsberger » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:17 pm

After 9-11 we had heightened security measures at airports, sports venues and conferences. I can see something similar coming out of this. A guy I used to work with is working for a start up that is developing a mass thermal scanner.... they have now begun working on transferring this technology to a walk through body temperature scanner. Coming to an airport near you within a couple of years is my guess. I could also see it at sports venues and other places where we have large gatherings.

On the duration of these "lock downs". If it goes until the mid summer there will probably be no sports leagues or they will be suspended. If it goes that long there will be no economic base for entertainment. Sad reality but we've yet to see what even 2 weeks of shutting down had done to the economy.... much less 3 months.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,540

Post#87 » by stan francisco » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:51 am

The NBA might slow start it again sometime in January 2021, is my guess.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,540

Post#88 » by stan francisco » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:16 pm

Once we have 5 minute affordable tests, available to everyone (August, September?) then restaurants and businesses can open up to customers who swab themselves in the car before parking etc.

Anecdote. A colleague from China said that they found ONE Corona case in his home city of a million. They locked down the whole city.

Here, we don’t even know if half our population already have it. We have only just started finding out how bad it is. We need to test every American so we can mitigate.

Of all people who contracted it, 70-80% got it from within their home. Don’t kiss your dog. It spreads by droplet contact.

In Iceland where they’ve tested all citizens it turned out that 50% of those who contracted it showed no symptoms at all. No symptoms. That’s how it brought the world to its knees.

‘I feel fine‘, is exactly how people are right now putting their loved ones like grandma at risk.

I’ve been in voluntary isolation for over two weeks already. Not sick, just don’t want to unknowingly spread it around should I have it and be asymptomatic.

Stay inside.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
zuju
Senior
And1: 120

Post#89 » by zuju » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:14 am

stan francisco wrote:Once we have 5 minute affordable tests, available to everyone (August, September?) then restaurants and businesses can open up to customers who swab themselves in the car before parking etc.

Anecdote. A colleague from China said that they found ONE Corona case in his home city of a million. They locked down the whole city.

Here, we don’t even know if half our population already have it. We have only just started finding out how bad it is. We need to test every American so we can mitigate.

Of all people who contracted it, 70-80% got it from within their home. Don’t kiss your dog. It spreads by droplet contact.

In Iceland where they’ve tested all citizens it turned out that 50% of those who contracted it showed no symptoms at all. No symptoms. That’s how it brought the world to its knees.

‘I feel fine‘, is exactly how people are right now putting their loved ones like grandma at risk.

I’ve been in voluntary isolation for over two weeks already. Not sick, just don’t want to unknowingly spread it around should I have it and be asymptomatic.

Stay inside.

Good work, bro

While I am not sure how you got that 70-80% of patients contracted it within their home, I would say stay home is the safest action you can take to protect yourself, your family and/or the others

Sometimes going out and buy some daily commodities or food is inevitable. Wear a mask, sterilize/wash your hand frequently, especially after touching handles, and change & wash your clothes after returning home.

As I have repeatedly urged in this forum, whenever you go out of your home, wear a FACE MASK !! Do not try to sterilize your mask with alcohol or steam it. It will damage the structure of the masks.For instance, steaming a mask will simply destroy the structure of the first 2 layers, the water-proofing nature will be lost and the ability to block virus/bacteria will be vanished.

Stay healthy, Folks.

The situation in the area I live (in Asia) is getting worse recently. Stay Strong together and fight this invisible enemy !

By the way, how are the lakers do? Do the infected recovered ?
Spanish_Laker
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#90 » by Spanish_Laker » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:53 am

Any news of the players' names?
Banned after 15 years in this forum for no reason. Farewell RealGM users
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,652

Post#91 » by dockingsched » Wed Apr 1, 2020 4:16 pm

Read on Twitter
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,228

Post#92 » by EArl » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:57 am

dockingsched wrote:
Read on Twitter

Thats great news to hear.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Update: All players cleared of COVID-19 

Post#93 » by dockingsched » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:30 pm

Just a random thought, is there a point later this summer where if the season were to resume, it makes sense to bring DeMarcus Cousins back onto the roster provided he’s had so many more months to get back healthy. He was waived prior to the playoff eligibility deadline, so he is playoff eligible if he signs with any team. Wonder what his current health status is and if he’s been able to continue his rehab from home.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Post#94 » by Slava » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:34 pm

dockingsched wrote:Just a random thought, is there a point later this summer where if the season were to resume, it makes sense to bring DeMarcus Cousins back onto the roster provided he’s had so many more months to get back healthy. He was waived prior to the playoff eligibility deadline, so he is playoff eligible if he signs with any team. Wonder what his current health status is and if he’s been able to continue his rehab from home.

Can a team re-sign a player they waived the same season?
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#95 » by dockingsched » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:08 pm

Slava wrote:
dockingsched wrote:Just a random thought, is there a point later this summer where if the season were to resume, it makes sense to bring DeMarcus Cousins back onto the roster provided he’s had so many more months to get back healthy. He was waived prior to the playoff eligibility deadline, so he is playoff eligible if he signs with any team. Wonder what his current health status is and if he’s been able to continue his rehab from home.

Can a team re-sign a player they waived the same season?

The only restriction I’m aware of is the trade and release rule that prevents teams from signing players they trade away and were released within a year of that trade.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#96 » by Landsberger » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:22 am

Not sure how the contracts will work out if we play past the July 1st area.... Typically the contracts are dated (my understanding) and not based on the end of play for a given year.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#97 » by dockingsched » Thu May 7, 2020 1:04 am

Read on Twitter
Beethoven
Head Coach

Re: Update: Lakers targeting May 16th to re-open training facility 

Post#98 » by Beethoven » Sat May 16, 2020 10:23 pm

So did they work out today ?
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Update: Lakers targeting May 16th to re-open training facility 

Post#99 » by dockingsched » Mon May 18, 2020 8:09 pm

Read on Twitter
Landsberger
General Manager

Re: Update: California could allow sports without fans by first week of June 

Post#100 » by Landsberger » Mon May 18, 2020 9:48 pm

To the new title of the thread.... Isn't that back to normal for the Clippers?

Return to Los Angeles Lakers