2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Are you happy with the Thunder’s draft night decisions?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:08 pm

Yes
36%
No
18%
Not sure
45%

Total votes: 11

jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#141 » by jambalaya » Wed May 13, 2020 6:46 pm

PIPM projections for Queen are good. Wasn't that impressed with the video.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#142 » by getrichordie » Wed May 13, 2020 6:52 pm

jambalaya wrote:PIPM projections for Queen are good. Wasn't that impressed with the video.

Yeah, he’s the most impressive prospect on tape, but he showed some nice passes and good defensive reads and can hit from deep. Took a couple of iffy shots. I was really impressed with the offhand pass into the post for an assist.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#143 » by jambalaya » Wed May 13, 2020 6:54 pm

The comps on Wizzy's app https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/advanced/
are good and not so much. I guess both are possible, don't pin the answer down.

In Jackson Frank's database against the top 100. Queen only has 2 games and rated as only barely positive in them. He is less proven than other prospects.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#144 » by getrichordie » Wed May 13, 2020 7:33 pm

jambalaya wrote:The comps on Wizzy's app https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/advanced/
are good and not so much. I guess both are possible, don't pin the answer down.

In Jackson Frank's database against the top 100. Queen only has 2 games and rated as only barely positive in them. He is less proven than other prospects.

I mean, smaller schools as a whole will struggle against top 100 teams. He’s definitely not as proven, but there is upside there. You can find more tape on YouTube, this is just one game. PIPM also factors SOS into its calculations so there’s that.

Regardless, his impact is really good.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#145 » by getrichordie » Thu May 14, 2020 6:40 am

I would be pretty happy if Presti drafted one of Nate Hinton or Paul Reed. Hinton projects to be close to a bigger Josh Hart in my eyes, though not as proven as a shooter yet, but form looks good and percentages aren't terrible.

[twitter] @thunderdustin
Mattv
Junior
And1: 33

Post#146 » by Mattv » Sun May 17, 2020 4:36 pm

I hope Presti keeps the core together and trades future picks and players lik Burton Diallo ect to get Jaden Mcdaniells and Patrick Willams and maybe a backup C. I think both Mcdaniells and Willams would be great player epically with CP3 and Galo as mentors.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#147 » by getrichordie » Mon May 18, 2020 12:45 pm

I have us getting Bolmaro in my latest mock. Anyone in particular you guys would rather have? I'd make a case for Woodard, Hinton, and maybe Jones, but that's about it.

25. okc — leandro bolmaro
26. bos — xavier tillman
27. nyk — saddiq bey
28. tor — nate hinton
29. lal — jalen crutcher
30. bos — precious achiuwa
---
31. dal — jalen smith
32. cha — jaden mcdaniels
33. min — tyler bey
34. phi — robert woodard ii
35. sac — tre jones
[twitter] @thunderdustin
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#148 » by jambalaya » Mon May 18, 2020 2:42 pm

Based on stats, I'd take almost anyone on that list instead of Bolmaro.

Way below average on 3pt fg% and ft% this season. Someone on net said he had good shooting form. He is shooting 28% from 3 and 68% from ft line. Either the form or the execution is not good / bad for pros.

Steals are his best mark. Assists good, turnovers pretty high.

Based on first video I'd want to watch more video, but I start out skeptical. He is probably a 3-5 year project who doesn't come over right away. Similar in some ways to Abrines.

Not being a good shooter or rebounder and being light, I have doubts about him at wing. His style is primary ballhandler but I don't think he is particularly impressive at that. Pretending to be a PG is a good way for tall international perimeters to get draft hype though, especially if they don't have adequate NBA skills & size to likely do anything else. Either he develops a lot or is a bad pick. It is a conceivable gamble if you don't like anyone else better and aren't in a hurry.

I would go with J Smith, T Bey, Achiuwa, T Jones or maybe S Bey if those guys were gone
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#149 » by jambalaya » Mon May 18, 2020 6:13 pm

Watched more highlights and there is plenty. Variety. Not same move but some being repeated is good. Aggressive on offense and defense.

Still havent seen weakness video or standard unedited game. Bad stats suggest more bad than good but would want to see how bad and if bad in same ways over and over.
Mattv
Junior

Post#150 » by Mattv » Mon May 18, 2020 11:12 pm

getrichordie wrote:I have us getting Bolmaro in my latest mock. Anyone in particular you guys would rather have? I'd make a case for Woodard, Hinton, and maybe Jones, but that's about it.

25. okc — leandro bolmaro
26. bos — xavier tillman
27. nyk — saddiq bey
28. tor — nate hinton
29. lal — jalen crutcher
30. bos — precious achiuwa
---
31. dal — jalen smith
32. cha — jaden mcdaniels
33. min — tyler bey
34. phi — robert woodard ii
35. sac — tre jones

Jaden Mcdaniels all day long..
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#151 » by getrichordie » Tue May 19, 2020 12:06 am

jambalaya wrote:Watched more highlights and there is plenty. Variety. Not same move but some being repeated is good. Aggressive on offense and defense.

Still havent seen weakness video or standard unedited game. Bad stats suggest more bad than good but would want to see how bad and if bad in same ways over and over.

He’s similar to Avdija but not quite as big. He’s been compared to Ginobili or a taller Rubio. Just like Avdija, his numbers aren’t great, but he’s flashed enough to intrigue some folks. A lot of talking heads have him as a clear FRP. Others have him as an early 2nd.

Don’t know what video you’ve watched but I like how crafty he is and I like his vision and competitiveness. His defense is VERY promising. He sits down and slides well. He also strikes me as a late bloomer, though I don’t know how true that is.

I can’t say I like McDaniels a whole lot more as I think he also has serious hurdles to climb as well.

The last thing we need is another guy who can’t shoot or do much offensively in Achiuwa, IMO. Bolmaro has shown a lot more than he has on that end.

Saddiq Bey is getting a lot of love but I see him being average at best defensively. Don’t like the way he moves on the defensive side but positioning is good. His offense looks good on surface, but he hasn’t flashed much range, his FT numbers are just okay and he has a ton of body crunch when he shoots and is easy to push around in the post. Where I buy his value is as a potential stretch 4, but still think he lacks the burst and athleticism to get by his guy or utilize screens well. Just not sold on him.

Tyler Bey looks like a worse version of Roberson, IMO. Not sure I want to see that again. We don’t have a Westbrook to make up for the lack of offense.

Woodard has shown some great defense. He’s going to be a problem. He’s as good of a defender as any wing in this draft not named Tyler Bey but his shot sort of scares me as he seems streaky and FT shooting isn’t great.

Jalen Smith could be a tweener, even in today’s league. 210 lbs. Maybe 215. Not big. Not super long. Not super tall for a 5. Not mobile enough to be a 4. You’d be drafting a small ball/back up stretch 5 at best, IMO.

Butler and Crutcher excite me. Butler has flashed some serious ability to ISO and get his own basket and/or collapse defense and hit 3s while Crutcher is a threat from 3 every time he steps on the floor and could bend defenses to let the likes of SGA, Schroder, etc. take advantage of space.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#152 » by getrichordie » Tue May 19, 2020 12:08 am

Oh, and Tre Jones is a steady hand but I don’t think his ceiling is very high but his floor is solid. He’d be a good back up point for us. I’d hope for a bit more at 25, hence the Bolmaro upside pick.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Mattv
Junior

Post#153 » by Mattv » Fri May 22, 2020 1:14 am

Nate Hinton is a guy that could be a steal in the 2md round or even undrafted. I would love for the Thunder to get him.. Hinton and dort on the floor together would be a nightmare for opposing teams.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#154 » by getrichordie » Fri May 22, 2020 9:12 pm

Mattv wrote:Nate Hinton is a guy that could be a steal in the 2md round or even undrafted. I would love for the Thunder to get him.. Hinton and dort on the floor together would be a nightmare for opposing teams.

Highly doubt he goes undrafted. I have him as a late FRP. 30-45 at worst. I think his competitiveness, work ethic, upside is going to be too much to pass up and will shine in a weird draft.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
thor19
Junior
And1: 65

Post#155 » by thor19 » Sat May 23, 2020 12:10 am

Three situations, if we lose Gallo, you would exchange our pick for a higher one and who would you choose. If we keep our pick, who would you choose? and would you finally exchange our pick for two second round?
Mattv
Junior

Post#156 » by Mattv » Sat May 23, 2020 2:37 am

I see Galo wanting to resign. But if he does I at least see him doing a sign and trade and if he does leave without the Thunder getting anything I would try to sign Harry Giles.
Mattv
Junior

Post#157 » by Mattv » Sat May 23, 2020 2:41 am

getrichordie wrote:
Mattv wrote:Nate Hinton is a guy that could be a steal in the 2md round or even undrafted. I would love for the Thunder to get him.. Hinton and dort on the floor together would be a nightmare for opposing teams.

Highly doubt he goes undrafted. I have him as a late FRP. 30-45 at worst. I think his competitiveness, work ethic, upside is going to be too much to pass up and will shine in a weird draft.

Ever mock draft I see he is at earliest a higher 2nd round pick to undrafted. But I agree with you but I would have said thing about Dort last year.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#158 » by getrichordie » Sat May 23, 2020 2:43 am

thor19 wrote:Three situations, if we lose Gallo, you would exchange our pick for a higher one and who would you choose. If we keep our pick, who would you choose? and would you finally exchange our pick for two second round?

1. An oft-injured 32 y.o. shouldn't have any bearing on who we select.

2. If there is a guy we really like that is reasonably within our reach, sure. I personally like Maledon and Ramsey as candidates for a trade up if necessary. If Nesmith drops far enough, he's a guy I wouldn't mind spending some capital to get. If Hampton drops, I'd like to take a shot on him as well.

3. Depends largely on combine (if there is one) for me. If we keep our pick, I like Riller if he's there. Woodard, Hinton, Flynn are my other guys. Depending on measurements, might take a swing on Isaiah Stewart (turned 19 today) or Jalen Smith.

4. I think I'd be against exchanging our FRP for a couple of SRPs unless it is #31 and #34 or something like that and we feel comfortable that the guy we want is going to be there. If I'm not mistaken, a FRP gives us 4 years of team control whereas a SRP gives us only 3 years and that's probably more of a factor with cap situation than ever before, so I'd be in favor of keeping our pick if not trading up.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#159 » by getrichordie » Sat May 23, 2020 2:51 am

Mattv wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

Ever mock draft I see he is at earliest a higher 2nd round pick to undrafted. But I agree with you but I would have said thing about Dort last year.

I think Dort and Hinton are two very different prospects. Hinton has more size, is a better all around offensive player. Might not be the on-ball defender Dort is, but he's the better overall defender and can crash boards as well, something Dort wasn't great at.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
thor19
Junior
And1: 65

Post#160 » by thor19 » Sat May 23, 2020 3:11 am

getrichordie wrote:
thor19 wrote:Three situations, if we lose Gallo, you would exchange our pick for a higher one and who would you choose. If we keep our pick, who would you choose? and would you finally exchange our pick for two second round?

1. An oft-injured 32 y.o. shouldn't have any bearing on who we select.

2. If there is a guy we really like that is reasonably within our reach, sure. I personally like Maledon and Ramsey as candidates for a trade up if necessary. If Nesmith drops far enough, he's a guy I wouldn't mind spending some capital to get. If Hampton drops, I'd like to take a shot on him as well.

3. Depends largely on combine (if there is one) for me. If we keep our pick, I like Riller if he's there. Woodard, Hinton, Flynn are my other guys. Depending on measurements, might take a swing on Isaiah Stewart (turned 19 today) or Jalen Smith.

4. I think I'd be against exchanging our FRP for a couple of SRPs unless it is #31 and #34 or something like that and we feel comfortable that the guy we want is going to be there. If I'm not mistaken, a FRP gives us 4 years of team control whereas a SRP gives us only 3 years and that's probably more of a factor with cap situation than ever before, so I'd be in favor of keeping our pick if not trading up.

I know we can lose Gallo and that is the future, look for younger players, but Gallo is an important part of our offense, and he is a good shooter, so I suggest changing our pick for a higher one in order to select someone better.
The option to change our pick for two second-round picks is because many of the names I have read, in many mock drafts they are placed at the beginning of the second round, something like our first pick for pick 33 and 35 of the 76ers

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder