ImageImage

OT: Covid-19 - NO POLITICS!!!

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,760

Re: OT: Covid-19 - NO POLITICS!!! 

Post#1701 » by HaroldinGMinor » Thu May 14, 2020 2:16 pm

crkone wrote:https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20200511&instance_id=18384&nl=the-morning&regi_id=105432490&segment_id=27239&te=1&user_id=a3d1d174f4e66d2604fa38ce095177af

Interesting post on how social distancing really only works outside because of viral loads sticking around in the air.

<insert viral load joke here>
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,373

Post#1702 » by MickeyDavis » Thu May 14, 2020 2:17 pm

Mags FTW wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:So I see a clip this morning of 3 reporters from a certain news channel applauding the WI SC decision, how "courageous" it was, people have nothing to be afraid of because this is Merica after all. Of course each of the 3 were broadcasting from home.

Because that's how their company has decided to do business.

People who believe in Concealed Carry and have permits don't carry at work if their employer has a No Gun Policy.

It's ironic that a company telling people there's nothing to be afraid of won't let their' own employees go back to their office.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#1703 » by crkone » Thu May 14, 2020 2:18 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:
crkone wrote:https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20200511&instance_id=18384&nl=the-morning&regi_id=105432490&segment_id=27239&te=1&user_id=a3d1d174f4e66d2604fa38ce095177af

Interesting post on how social distancing really only works outside because of viral loads sticking around in the air.

<insert viral load joke here>

Oh you got herpes? Sorry man. :D

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1704 » by MickeyDavis » Thu May 14, 2020 2:20 pm

What we need here in WI is some sustained nice weather. It looks like some is coming next week. Everyone is in a funk. Some warm sunny days would go a long way. I just want to be able to sit out on the deck. I don't golf much but I'd love to go to a driving range and hit a bucket or two. Go biking, hiking, anything to get out of the house.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#1705 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu May 14, 2020 2:23 pm

th87 wrote:Wonder how medical professionals feel and whether they'd ever consider not seeing new COVID patients. If people want to pack bars, fine, just don't drag caregivers into it.

This is a bit much. There were going to be COVID patients no matter what. If we "open up" something there would be a positive move of cases no matter when.

At some point you could argue that those medical professionals would be taking major paycuts or out of jobs at some point if we don't allow some sort of reintroduction. I know that doesn't necessarily mean piling in bars and potentially more patients of COVID, but hospitals are going deeply in debt without elective surgeries. Of course this doesn't mean that both have to reopen but we cannot remain closed forever. Goalposts cannot keep moving.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,024

Post#1706 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu May 14, 2020 2:24 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:What we need here in WI is some sustained nice weather. It looks like some is coming next week. Everyone is in a funk. Some warm sunny days would go a long way. I just want to be able to sit out on the deck. I don't golf much but I'd love to go to a driving range and hit a bucket or two. Go biking, hiking, anything to get out of the house.

Damnit, Md. Pick a side and stick to it. :D
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,902

Post#1707 » by buckboy » Thu May 14, 2020 2:35 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:What we need here in WI is some sustained nice weather. It looks like some is coming next week. Everyone is in a funk. Some warm sunny days would go a long way. I just want to be able to sit out on the deck. I don't golf much but I'd love to go to a driving range and hit a bucket or two. Go biking, hiking, anything to get out of the house.

A lot of people are going to have a lot of problems mentally when November rolls around and his thing is still going on, barring a miracle. It's gonna be bad.

I've personally had no issues with the stay at home order because I've been to work every day, but if my kids aren't in school in September, and I believe there's a pretty good chance they won't be, my wife is going to lose it. And I don't blame her. Sitting inside all winter is going to be a very unpleasant experience for a LOT of people.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Re: OT: Covid-19 

Post#1708 » by Mags FTW » Thu May 14, 2020 2:36 pm

crkone wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:

And there, right out of Evers' mouth, is why it got to this point.

The existing plan was purely his with no input from the Legislature. He didn't even tell them it was being extended to the 26th. It was "I" vs. "They". When he knew his 60-day Emergency would expire he tried to circumvent the state Constitution by saying it was Palm (an unelected bureaucrat who hasn't even been approved by the Legislature yet) extending the order. If he would've met with the Legislature and crafted a plan together that was then approved, it would've been constitutional and survived a lawsuit brought forth by a private citizen or entity.

That's what the 6 days was for. It gave the Legislature time to approve rules proposed by Evers that were actually constitutional and punishable.

Not their fault the court decided to scrap the stay.

But they had 2 months to craft a plan and work with Evers. It wasn't all or nothing for Evers, it was an emergency plan. He wanted to work with them and said so numerous times. They didn't want their names tied to a plan that keeps businesses closed. They absolutely refused to do anything.

If he really wanted to work with them, he would've accepted that his the Emergency had a 60-day lifespan and began making rules with them near it's expiration. Instead he went the Palm route to circumvent the law.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1709 » by MickeyDavis » Thu May 14, 2020 2:46 pm

My company says the earliest anyone will be back in the office is September and even then it will be a small amount. They don't expect everyone to be back until next spring. Working from home doesn't affect my productivity and there are advantages of course but I'm itching to get back in the office. It really wouldn't work to do some kind of flex where you are at the office one week, home the next. Having to tear down my stuff, move it back to the office and set everything up is a pain in the ass.
vital_signs
Analyst
And1: 2,239

Post#1710 » by vital_signs » Thu May 14, 2020 2:51 pm

Question for those upset about last night's ruling, generally curious to see what everyone's plan was.

After 05/26, how did you envision restaurants/bars reopening? Were you looking at extending their closures? If not, what difference was an extra 13 days really going to make? Delaying the inevitable is how I see it. After 2 months of closures an extra 13 days wasn't going to change much. If I understood Ever's Badge Bounce Back we were getting close, if not already, at the criteria to meet phase 1 which would have opened up restaurants with social distancing.

I'll be disappointed if most counties don't extend to some degree, past memorial day IMO to avoid those crowds but I'm still not opposed to allowing local governments to make that call.
Inadequate perception I reckon it's from the Valium
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 9,960

Post#1711 » by sidney lanier » Thu May 14, 2020 2:52 pm

On a non-life-and-death note, I'm starting to wonder what happens if all the major (and minor) sports decide to resume at about the same time. The natural breathing room the sports customarily give each other will be gone, and it will be every empty stadium for itself, I guess.
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1712 » by MickeyDavis » Thu May 14, 2020 2:55 pm

I look forward to the NBA Finals, World Series and Super Bowl to happen in the same 2 week period.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,902

Post#1713 » by buckboy » Thu May 14, 2020 2:59 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I look forward to the NBA Finals, World Series and Super Bowl to happen in the same 2 week period.

Throw in the Masters and Wimbeldon. I'll be hung over for a week.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,760

Post#1714 » by HaroldinGMinor » Thu May 14, 2020 3:02 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I look forward to the NBA Finals, World Series and Super Bowl to happen in the same 2 week period.

JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,579

Post#1715 » by JayMKE » Thu May 14, 2020 3:03 pm

Its simply not feasible for things to stay shutdown until then imo, what about people that aren't getting paid and don't even have access to high speed internet to work/go to school remotely? Something like 40% of the state doesn't have access to high speed internet, what might work for the urban communities might not work for rural ones. There isn't a one size fits all solution for this unfortunately, maybe the more piecemeal approach will be better.
FREE GIANNIS
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,723

Post#1716 » by emunney » Thu May 14, 2020 3:10 pm

These cotton face coverings are a fine stop gap, but we're not just resting on that, right? Feels like there's a lot more potential in the area of mechanical prophylaxis that we should be pushing on, i.e., the best possible masks.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1717 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu May 14, 2020 3:13 pm

emunney wrote:These cotton face coverings are a fine stop gap, but we're not just resting on that, right? Feels like there's a lot more potential in the area of mechanical prophylaxis that we should be pushing on, i.e., the best possible masks.

If you could make those better masks attach to one of these and maintain efficacy, I think you'd pass up Jeff Bezos in net worth.

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#1718 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu May 14, 2020 3:18 pm

Personally I wish more time had been spent the past couple months educating and preparing the public for how to protect themselves and reduce spread while things are up and running. Like the minute things shut down the goal should have been how to do we reopen with as much reduced risk as possible. We should have also been putting specific plans in place how to protect the highest risk population.

The fact this whole thing morphed into a political back and forth while not surprising is disappointing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,024

Post#1719 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu May 14, 2020 3:20 pm

vital_signs wrote:Question for those upset about last night's ruling, generally curious to see what everyone's plan was.

After 05/26, how did you envision restaurants/bars reopening? Were you looking at extending their closures? If not, what difference was an extra 13 days really going to make? Delaying the inevitable is how I see it. After 2 months of closures an extra 13 days wasn't going to change much. If I understood Ever's Badge Bounce Back we were getting close, if not already, at the criteria to meet phase 1 which would have opened up restaurants with social distancing.

I'll be disappointed if most counties don't extend to some degree, past memorial day IMO to avoid those crowds but I'm still not opposed to allowing local governments to make that call.

I think part of this is these lock downs really gave some gravity to the situation. My employer didn't do anything until the state had these orders. I think they got the hint and will continue the work from home regardless but if there isn't a unified message the resolve weakens at the individual level. I don't eat at restaurants a ton either way, but I think it changes from restaurants having to have COVID restrictions to them doing it on their own. I think many restaurants will think it's too expensive or ruins the environment to change seating or install barriers, or have servers have masks. If they were a requirement to open they would have adapted.

I wonder how rural counties are going to play out with music festivals. Hodag is still on for July and Country USA in August. Hopefully we have it under control by then but kind of lucky June events were postponed due to economic/lockdown reasons. I don't see a local official in a rural community like Rhinelander having the balls to say no to a big revenue generator like these music festivals when they have the loudest "liberate WI" base.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1720 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu May 14, 2020 3:21 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Personally I wish more time had been spent the past couple months educating and preparing the public for how to protect themselves and reduce spread while things are up and running. Like the minute things shut down the goal should have been how to do we reopen with as much reduced risk as possible. We should have also been putting specific plans in place how to protect the highest risk population.

The fact this whole thing morphed into a political back and forth while not surprising is disappointing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

I think part of the problem is that we're still learning, though on the past page or two I think some posters have basically hit the key points of transmission.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks