ImageImage

OT: Covid-19 - NO POLITICS!!!

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,758

Re: OT: Covid-19 - NO POLITICS!!! 

Post#1721 » by HaroldinGMinor » Thu May 14, 2020 3:24 pm

To this point, Wisconsin has seemingly gotten through this better than Iowa or Minnesota. Lower death rate than either of them (by far), and lower case rate with comparable testing rates.
vital_signs
Analyst
And1: 2,239

Post#1722 » by vital_signs » Thu May 14, 2020 3:25 pm

Some of my pals back home are already testing my opinion on the reopening. You really don't have anything better to do with your life than run to a dusty dark bar the minute they are back open? Pandemic or not that's sad. Perhaps I am giving people too much credit to go about their lives in a slightly altered fashion even if these establishments can open.
Inadequate perception I reckon it's from the Valium
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#1723 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu May 14, 2020 3:25 pm

emunney wrote:These cotton face coverings are a fine stop gap, but we're not just resting on that, right? Feels like there's a lot more potential in the area of mechanical prophylaxis that we should be pushing on, i.e., the best possible masks.
I agree, should be more of them in the market.

Cool mask story. One of my neighbors works for Twitter and he mentioned in one of their company slacks that him and his wife wanted to make masks to give away and Jack shot him a message telling him to send the invoice for any supplies they need and he'd reimburse it all. They have been making cloth masks with an opening you can slide a coffee filter in for a little extra barrier. They've made 100s and have been dropping off as many as people want on their doorsteps in my neighborhood.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#1724 » by HaroldinGMinor » Thu May 14, 2020 3:27 pm

Read on Twitter
vital_signs
Analyst
And1: 2,239

Post#1725 » by vital_signs » Thu May 14, 2020 3:33 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
vital_signs wrote:Question for those upset about last night's ruling, generally curious to see what everyone's plan was.

After 05/26, how did you envision restaurants/bars reopening? Were you looking at extending their closures? If not, what difference was an extra 13 days really going to make? Delaying the inevitable is how I see it. After 2 months of closures an extra 13 days wasn't going to change much. If I understood Ever's Badge Bounce Back we were getting close, if not already, at the criteria to meet phase 1 which would have opened up restaurants with social distancing.

I'll be disappointed if most counties don't extend to some degree, past memorial day IMO to avoid those crowds but I'm still not opposed to allowing local governments to make that call.

I wonder how rural counties are going to play out with music festivals. Hodag is still on for July and Country USA in August. Hopefully we have it under control by then but kind of lucky June events were postponed due to economic/lockdown reasons. I don't see a local official in a rural community like Rhinelander having the balls to say no to a big revenue generator like these music festivals when they have the loudest "liberate WI" base.

Feel the same about the Cadott Festivals - Rock and Country Fest. It's fairly well accepted that sports fans won't be in the seats for some time so I don't understand the difficulty of accepting that these can wait till 2021. Like you said though, money.
Inadequate perception I reckon it's from the Valium
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#1726 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu May 14, 2020 3:35 pm

vital_signs wrote:
vital_signs wrote:Question for those upset about last night's ruling, generally curious to see what everyone's plan was.

After 05/26, how did you envision restaurants/bars reopening? Were you looking at extending their closures? If not, what difference was an extra 13 days really going to make? Delaying the inevitable is how I see it. After 2 months of closures an extra 13 days wasn't going to change much. If I understood Ever's Badge Bounce Back we were getting close, if not already, at the criteria to meet phase 1 which would have opened up restaurants with social distancing.

I'll be disappointed if most counties don't extend to some degree, past memorial day IMO to avoid those crowds but I'm still not opposed to allowing local governments to make that call.

I wonder how rural counties are going to play out with music festivals. Hodag is still on for July and Country USA in August. Hopefully we have it under control by then but kind of lucky June events were postponed due to economic/lockdown reasons. I don't see a local official in a rural community like Rhinelander having the balls to say no to a big revenue generator like these music festivals when they have the loudest "liberate WI" base.

Feel the same about the Cadott Festivals - Rock and Country Fest. It's fairly well accepted that sports fans won't be in the seats for some time so I don't understand the difficulty of accepting that these can wait till 2021. Like you said though, money.

I think the discussion may start and end on whether the artists actually show up and I think there will be PR pressure on them not to.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,139

Re: OT: Covid-19 

Post#1727 » by DingleJerry » Thu May 14, 2020 3:37 pm

vital_signs wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:I'd guess he doesn't do something like state of emergency or anything else to keep the fight going, someone has to be the adult in the room.

I don't think saying counties can decide for themselves qualifies as not being an adult in the room.

No, immediately taking the governor to court at a time of unknown emergency and making a big political fight instead of working together is though. That's what I'm talking about and why I don't think Evers will continue with a big fight. It's just not worth it

AS I've said for a while now, I'm fine with a diverse plan and not one size fits all. Thing is that process was working already, there was no need for a big fight.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,022

Post#1728 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu May 14, 2020 3:39 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:
Read on Twitter

Today I learned Harry Truman died when he was 83 because he refused to leave the mountain and his house was over taken with volcanic material.

Today I also learned it was a different Harry Truman.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#1729 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu May 14, 2020 3:43 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
vital_signs wrote:
MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:I wonder how rural counties are going to play out with music festivals. Hodag is still on for July and Country USA in August. Hopefully we have it under control by then but kind of lucky June events were postponed due to economic/lockdown reasons. I don't see a local official in a rural community like Rhinelander having the balls to say no to a big revenue generator like these music festivals when they have the loudest "liberate WI" base.

I think the discussion may start and end on whether the artists actually show up and I think there will be PR pressure on them not to.

One of the headliners is Toby Keith and include acts like Lee Greenwood (God Bless the USA). They know who their base is and they don't want to upset them. They will also be isolate and tested constantly.

I don't think they get the full 50k, but there will be plenty of people willing to go and plenty of artists willing to play for money.
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,598

Post#1730 » by tski1972 » Thu May 14, 2020 3:51 pm

emunney wrote:These cotton face coverings are a fine stop gap, but we're not just resting on that, right? Feels like there's a lot more potential in the area of mechanical prophylaxis that we should be pushing on, i.e., the best possible masks.

“Made in China”.....the American way.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#1731 » by crkone » Thu May 14, 2020 3:53 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
vital_signs wrote:Feel the same about the Cadott Festivals - Rock and Country Fest. It's fairly well accepted that sports fans won't be in the seats for some time so I don't understand the difficulty of accepting that these can wait till 2021. Like you said though, money.

One of the headliners is Toby Keith and include acts like Lee Greenwood (God Bless the USA). They know who their base is and they don't want to upset them. They will also be isolate and tested constantly.

I don't think they get the full 50k, but there will be plenty of people willing to go and plenty of artists willing to play for money.

Hell I'm going to the https://doorcountybeerfestival.com/ YOLO

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,139

Re: OT: Covid-19 

Post#1732 » by DingleJerry » Thu May 14, 2020 3:54 pm

Spoiler:
MAC1987 wrote:CNN headline: 19 coronavirus cases -->connected<-- to Wisconsin primary election, state health official says

(CNN)At least 19 people in Wisconsin who said they voted in-person or worked the polls for the state's April 7 primary election have tested positive for the coronavirus, according to the state health department.

Wisconsin Department of Health Services Deputy Secretary Julie Willems Van Dijk said that the 19 people received positive test results after April 9, which was first reported Tuesday by Talking Points Memo.

However, Willems Van Dijk said that several of those people "reported other possible exposures as well."

"Since we only have data on positive cases (without a comparison group of people who were not tested or tested negative), there is no way to know with certainty if any exposures at the polls that are reported are in fact attributable to COVID-19 illness," Willems Van Dijk said in a statement provided to CNN Wednesday.

Another headline:
52 who worked or voted in Wisconsin election have COVID-19

These articles go on to say they dont know if it was due to the election. So why pick these headlines that is trying to link the voting to covid19? Asking for a friend.

DingleJerry wrote:https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/may/12/one-america-news/mainstream-media-surge-COVID-Wisconsin-election/

I'd say this kind of summarizes the pitfalls of the misinformation going on this and how they do it in order to fan the flames and pit sides against each other.

Sent from my SM-T510 using RealGM mobile app

Are you serious here? The article says all the info clearly, so now it's the media's fault if people can't read? But the non mainstream media that takes an article out of context, grasps at one part of it and blows it out of proportion then paints it as "everyone in MSM" in order to pump hatred/clicks is not the problem? That's what I was point out.

Moreover, it is pointing out that this many known people were there. Therefore everyone they crossed path with was exposed, and so on and so and so on, the trickle down of it all. Essentially it's just showing it's still there and the potential of the spreading by creating events with a bunch of people gathered together. All while fully acknowledging even clearly says there is no for sure way of knowing if/when they got it. Plus, this is the exact type of thing that would need to be monitored after an event of that nature to gather the data on it, just like it will have to happen now to see what happens 2--4 weeks from now in WI.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#1733 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu May 14, 2020 4:12 pm

crkone wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

Hell I'm going to the https://doorcountybeerfestival.com/ YOLO

https://doorcountybeerfestival.com/faqs/
I have the face of the girl at every beer and wine tasting. 100% focused; 0% retention.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#1734 » by HaroldinGMinor » Thu May 14, 2020 4:24 pm

Interesting take from a UMich economist:

Read on Twitter
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#1735 » by Chuck Diesel » Thu May 14, 2020 4:31 pm

The same group that disagrees with/doesn’t care about objective, non partisan evidence regarding our dying planet taken the same stance regarding it’s dying people. Shocking.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,576

Post#1736 » by JayMKE » Thu May 14, 2020 4:33 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:Interesting take from a UMich economist:

Read on Twitter

I know a lot of people don't understand or can't accept mainstream economics but this is one of the most insane articles I ever read, you can't just redefine problems away. Holy ****.
FREE GIANNIS
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,330

Post#1737 » by MickeyDavis » Thu May 14, 2020 4:39 pm

Ok guys, time for a break. I'll reopen this thread maybe in a day or two. In the meantime please don't carry this over into other threads. Those posts will be deleted. The stickied thread on the Bucks is to stay Bucks related only. Here's the current affairs virus thread viewtopic.php?f=69&t=1962318&start=980

There has been some good discussion here. I appreciate everyone's point of views. There is no right/wrong on this topic.

As I've said before the Bucks board is first and foremost a basketball board with some benign OT topics. Other stuff has never been allowed here. Just because there is no current basketball doesn't mean the rules of the board change.

We all get enough political talk/debate in our "real lives". This board is suppose to be fun and it will remain that way. A diversion from every day life. Disagree with me if you wish but I appreciate everyone's understanding that I'm just trying to keep this board fun as best I can.

In the meantime, maybe we can all take a break from the debates and read, exercise, listen to music, spend time with your SO, try to enjoy life as much as you can. Hopefully sports will be back soon in some way, shape, form.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks