John Collins Wants To Stay With Hawks, Feels He's In Conversation For Max

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

John Collins Wants To Stay With Hawks, Feels He's In Conversation For Max 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri May 15, 2020 3:07 pm

John Collins will be eligible for a rookie extension this offseason and his future with the Atlanta Hawks remains uncertain.

“When we’re talking max numbers and money, I feel like I definitely (am in) the conversation to have earned that money with the Hawks specifically, but obviously I know there’s business and we don’t always get exactly what we want,” Collins said. “But I want to be a Hawk, I want to stay with the Hawks."

Collins will be a restricted free agent in 2021 if he doesn't sign an extension.

“I feel like we’ve both invested ourselves in each other… I feel like we both want to see our investments in each other pay off. In that sense, I just want to know where I am. I want to know I’m locked in as soon as I can rather than having to wait, which I know happens, but when you do wait, a lot of other stuff mentally creeps in during the season while I’m tired, while I’m playing, ups and downs, injuries, but that’s also a part of just being a pro athlete.”

As a team, the Hawks struggled during the 19-20 season, but Collins believes they're close to breaking through.

“I want them to know we’re not as far away as you think,” Collins said. 

Via Sarah K. Spencer/Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,084

Re: John Collins Wants To Stay With Hawks, Feels He's In Conversation For Max 

Post#2 » by Lockdown504090 » Fri May 15, 2020 3:15 pm

if bigs who cant create their own shot, carry a defensive unit to respectability can get max, idk what the NBA has become.
BasketballJunky
Sophomore
And1: 15

Post#3 » by BasketballJunky » Fri May 15, 2020 3:29 pm

Kid has good numbers. Double double numbers I wouldn’t give him quite max money but he should be paid handsomely.
birdlives_ma
Senior
And1: 779

Post#4 » by birdlives_ma » Fri May 15, 2020 4:35 pm

I mean, what's he supposed to say? "Eh, I'm pretty good, but I probably only deserve like 10-15 mil..." He sounds like he already knows he's not gonna get it, and he wants to be here. But slow news cycle I guess
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#5 » by King4Day » Fri May 15, 2020 5:43 pm

birdlives_ma wrote:I mean, what's he supposed to say? "Eh, I'm pretty good, but I probably only deserve like 10-15 mil..." He sounds like he already knows he's not gonna get it, and he wants to be here. But slow news cycle I guess

I bet his plan is to sign a smaller deal with Atlanta and then say, 'i know I could have gotten more elsewhere, but this is where I wanted to be'. To make himself look less greedy.

He does need to be careful though. If he is offered 80 mil this offseason and turns it down, the risk of what happened with Nerlens Noel is always there. This isn't a Pippen situation. Collins should take the security (assuming it's fair) and do enough to warrant more money long term.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Temuhjan
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#6 » by Temuhjan » Fri May 15, 2020 7:00 pm

Boy maybe a little raw. But two-way bigs with range are rare in the L. I can count with five fingers. He will be in demand.
bullsnewdynasty
RealGM
And1: 2,544

Post#7 » by bullsnewdynasty » Fri May 15, 2020 8:14 pm

He is definitely a max guy, just stay away from the roids
Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 370

Post#8 » by Elnegron » Sat May 16, 2020 1:12 am

:x the only player that deserve a max in that class is bam adebayo and the spyder. Atl save your money because the cap won't go up fast enough after covid. He a good player but not max
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,543

Post#9 » by dice » Sat May 16, 2020 5:18 am

Lockdown504090 wrote:if bigs who cant create their own shot, carry a defensive unit to respectability can get max, idk what the NBA has become.

you kinda described charles barkley...who put up very similar numbers
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
random_hero891
Rookie
And1: 810

Post#10 » by random_hero891 » Sat May 16, 2020 7:10 am

I feel like there should be certain benchmarks for max contracts, Atlanta's record in past years suggests there isn't a max contract player on their team. Does he deserve a big raise? definitely. Does he deserve the biggest raise? Not quite.
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,859

Post#11 » by KingDavid » Sat May 16, 2020 9:41 am

He can ask for a max when his stats lead to wins.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
Pukovnik
Senior
And1: 168

Post#12 » by Pukovnik » Sat May 16, 2020 10:04 am

This is what is wrong with today's NBA, everybody thinks they are entitled to something. Yes, his numbers are very good this season, but they don't translate into wins. And after what he did before the season, getting suspended for 25 games because of drug use, he should stay quiet, work hard and ask something next year. Right now, the only Hawks player that is worth the max contract is Trae Young.
Lockdown504090
RealGM

Post#13 » by Lockdown504090 » Sat May 16, 2020 12:59 pm

dice wrote:
Lockdown504090 wrote:if bigs who cant create their own shot, carry a defensive unit to respectability can get max, idk what the NBA has become.

Totally different nba, chuck also was was a first option for almost his whole career,

These are literally all assisted baskets out the pick and roll. In a PS game, theyre just going to switch that, Collins needs to be able to create against strong small forwards.

This is the best game i found of him. The Celtics arent really playing solid defense because its the hawks, but thats not a max guy.

Even if he gets stronger and moves to center, he still doesnt have the length or size for the position defensively. It doesnt make sense for the Hawks to max a guy who cant play elite defense if they want to build around trae young. If he is just going to make plays out of pick and roll, there are a few dozen guys who can do that for a lot less.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#14 » by Killboard » Sat May 16, 2020 5:43 pm

When potential becomes pay the teams aren't so fun anymore.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#15 » by dautjazz » Sat May 16, 2020 6:47 pm

Damn Atlanta is so bad that he kinda flew under the radar for me, I didn't remember he was putting up 22/10. Those stats at 22 definitely should put him in the conversation for a max.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
WuriderX
Junior
And1: 403

Post#16 » by WuriderX » Sat May 16, 2020 9:25 pm

I am a Hawks fan and never miss a game. I am telling you guys that he is way better then he gets credit for. There are some nights when he literally does whatever he wants to out there. He is really that good. Guys I am talking scary good!!! He is the closest thing I have seen to Karl Malone since Karl Malone. Our record was a whole lot better with him then without. We still need to see what he and Capela can do together. Alot of folks think that John is a center. I do feel that max contracts get tossed around little too much today.
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#17 » by luss54321 » Sat May 16, 2020 9:39 pm

For some reason, fans have this idea that only the top 5 or 10 players in the league deserve max contracts.

About 30 players in the NBA are currently playing on max contracts. If you have a young player who has very real potential to be a top 30 player, then a max contract (or something close to it) should absolutely be in the conversation.

John Collins is 22 years old, he averaged 22 PPG, 10 REB, 1.6 BLK, on 58% FG, 40% 3PT, and 80% FT. Those are some of the best shooting numbers in the league.

Adjust your expectations to reality.
Lockdown504090
RealGM

Post#18 » by Lockdown504090 » Sat May 16, 2020 10:58 pm

luss54321 wrote:For some reason, fans have this idea that only the top 5 or 10 players in the league deserve max contracts.

About 30 players in the NBA are currently playing on max contracts. If you have a young player who has very real potential to be a top 30 player, then a max contract (or something close to it) should absolutely be in the conversation.

John Collins is 22 years old, he averaged 22 PPG, 10 REB, 1.6 BLK, on 58% FG, 40% 3PT, and 80% FT. Those are some of the best shooting numbers in the league.

Adjust your expectations to reality.

many of those players are on contending teams, many are also putting mediocre teams in cap hell.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,543

Post#19 » by dice » Sun May 17, 2020 1:49 am

Lockdown504090 wrote:
dice wrote:

Totally different nba...

and collins is putting up his points and efficiency...in today's nba

chuck also was was a first option for almost his whole career

same usage in their 3rd seasons

These are literally all assisted baskets out the pick and roll. In a PS game, theyre just going to switch that, Collins needs to be able to create against strong small forwards.

i don't know what a PS game is, but if he was easy to defend why haven't teams been able to do it?

This is the best game i found of him. The Celtics arent really playing solid defense because its the hawks, but thats not a max guy.

so he's been really good because teams across the board aren't taking his team seriously?

It doesnt make sense for the Hawks to max a guy who cant play elite defense if they want to build around trae young. If he is just going to make plays out of pick and roll, there are a few dozen guys who can do that for a lot less.

that may well be
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Lockdown504090
RealGM

Post#20 » by Lockdown504090 » Sun May 17, 2020 2:53 am

dice wrote:
Lockdown504090 wrote:
dice wrote:you kinda described charles barkley...who put up very similar numbers

Totally different nba...

and collins is putting up his points and efficiency...in today's nba

chuck also was was a first option for almost his whole career

same usage in their 3rd seasons

i don't know what a PS game is, but if he was easy to defend why haven't teams been able to do it?

so he's been really good because teams across the board aren't taking his team seriously?

It doesnt make sense for the Hawks to max a guy who cant play elite defense if they want to build around trae young. If he is just going to make plays out of pick and roll, there are a few dozen guys who can do that for a lot less.

that may well be

1. points and efficency are easier as a play finisher, especially playing with young.

2.that has nothing to do with his ability to create shots

3. im talking a playoff game, teams run their default offense and defense and dont run specific packages on defense unless its game the players and coaches really care about..... the hawks are that for no one. (see KAT against houston doing similar defenses a few years ago)

Return to Wiretap Discussion