Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,457

Re: Let's start the rebuild! 

Post#201 » by Canadafan » Wed May 13, 2020 11:06 am

From Bleacher Report

Pistons Receive: C Myles Turner, SG Jeremy Lamb

Sixers Receive: PF Blake Griffin

Pacers Receive: C Al Horford, 2020 first-round pick (via Pistons)

Starting with Philly, getting Al Horford off the books needs to happen, even if it's for Griffin's deal that runs a year shorter.

A healthy Griffin would raise the ceiling of this Sixers team, and the 31-year-old has already turned in All-Star seasons playing next to big men like DeAndre Jordan and Andre Drummond. Putting Griffin in a starting unit with Joel Embiid, Tobias Harris and Ben Simmons would not only give Philly the biggest lineup in the NBA, but the strongest as well.

For Indiana, Turner's production is slipping to the point that it's time to be concerned. Horford gets to return to the center position full-time, giving Indiana a good defender next to Domantas Sabonis and someone who is playoff-tested.

For taking on Horford's contract, the Pacers would also get the Pistons' first-rounder (currently projected at No. 5 overall), where players like Deni Avdija, Obi Toppin and Killian Hayes could be available. Indiana doesn't have a first-round pick after sending it to the Milwaukee Bucks in the Malcolm Brogdon sign-and-trade.

For a rebuilding Pistons team, Turner is just 24 years old and has already led the NBA in blocks per game. While giving up a high draft pick hurts, it rids them of the remaining two years and $76 million of Griffin's contract.
JohnReese
Senior
And1: 270

Post#202 » by JohnReese » Wed May 13, 2020 2:16 pm

[gfycat][/gfycat]
Canadafan wrote:From Bleacher Report

Starting with Philly, getting Al Horford off the books needs to happen, even if it's for Griffin's deal that runs a year shorter.

A healthy Griffin would raise the ceiling of this Sixers team, and the 31-year-old has already turned in All-Star seasons playing next to big men like DeAndre Jordan and Andre Drummond. Putting Griffin in a starting unit with Joel Embiid, Tobias Harris and Ben Simmons would not only give Philly the biggest lineup in the NBA, but the strongest as well.

For Indiana, Turner's production is slipping to the point that it's time to be concerned. Horford gets to return to the center position full-time, giving Indiana a good defender next to Domantas Sabonis and someone who is playoff-tested.

For taking on Horford's contract, the Pacers would also get the Pistons' first-rounder (currently projected at No. 5 overall), where players like Deni Avdija, Obi Toppin and Killian Hayes could be available. Indiana doesn't have a first-round pick after sending it to the Milwaukee Bucks in the Malcolm Brogdon sign-and-trade.

For a rebuilding Pistons team, Turner is just 24 years old and has already led the NBA in blocks per game. While giving up a high draft pick hurts, it rids them of the remaining two years and $76 million of Griffin's contract.

Makes 0 sense for everyone:

The Pacers are moving Sabonis to the Center and need and athletic PF that can help defensively.

Tobias best spot is PF, getting Blake move him again to the 3.

The Pistons are not going to compete in the next years, so, we are not trading picks.
JohnReese
Senior
And1: 270

Post#203 » by JohnReese » Wed May 13, 2020 2:41 pm

One trade I would like a lot is trading down a gettin Mikal Bridges and the Suns pick.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,457

Post#204 » by Canadafan » Wed May 13, 2020 3:05 pm

Yes I'd be against trading our pick as well
Hopefully we can add picks this draft with our bit of cap space to help teams dump contracts
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#205 » by Pharaoh » Wed May 13, 2020 9:13 pm

No way that's ever gonna happen and whoever wrote it should be ashamed of themselves!

#5 & Griffin are not going to land us Myles Turner! Dude might be underrated af on here but players, coaches & GMs know what he brings on both ends of the floor.

Far more likely we can deal Griffin to New York for Randle and Portis. Knicks get a "star" to sell and we get out 2 pieces that may or may not fit as we go.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#206 » by edmunder_prc » Wed May 13, 2020 9:28 pm

There are only a handful of contracts worse than Blakes in the league.

Getting a very good player in return is on another level of impossible. :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D Bleacher report writer cracked during the quarantine.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,871

Post#207 » by MotownMadness » Thu May 14, 2020 4:29 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:

Getting a very good player in return is on another level of impossible. :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D Bleacher report writer cracked during the quarantine.

I wouldnt even do that. Losing our pick for the rights to replace Blake with Turner doesnt do much for us. Also i like how Philly just sneaks in for no reason at all to dump that horrible Horford deal. Why wouldnt Indiana just deal with us and take Blake and the pick instead

First i think Turner is overrated and wants nothing to do with the dirty work near the rim. Good but is not as impactful as some act to me.

Second i dont care if Blake just rots while we suck til his contract is up.
DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#208 » by DCintheD » Thu May 14, 2020 11:46 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
edmunder_prc wrote:

I wouldnt even do that. Losing our pick for the rights to replace Blake with Turner doesnt do much for us. Also i like how Philly just sneaks in for no reason at all to dump that horrible Horford deal. Why wouldnt Indiana just deal with us and take Blake and the pick instead

First i think Turner is overrated and wants nothing to do with the dirty work near the rim. Good but is not as impactful as some act to me.

This. I like Turner but as crazy as this might sound I think Wood is and will be better. Giving up the pick for him makes zero sense. Plus Blake’s deal no longer hurts us. Just ride it out if there’s nothing logical out there.
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#209 » by MotownMadness » Fri May 15, 2020 3:12 pm

Wonder if the Kings would dump Barnes with some assets? He's gotta alot of money left on his deal but he would still fill a role here and could maybe get a extra lottery pick for it.

I know they want to keep Bogdanovic so they might. Would even swap them Kennard in the deal.

Kennard
For
Barnes+12
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,756

Post#210 » by theBigLip » Fri May 15, 2020 10:56 pm

First of all, we are rebuilding. IMHO, we should not trade our first round picks.

It totally makes sense to move Griffin to continue our rebuild, but trading him before next season is a waste of time. We need him to prove to the league he is healthy, so we have to keep him at least until early next season, and most likely to right up until the trade deadline. That's when we can make this move.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#211 » by Manocad » Sat May 16, 2020 1:08 am

theBigLip wrote:First of all, we are rebuilding. IMHO, we should not trade our first round picks.

It totally makes sense to move Griffin to continue our rebuild, but trading him before next season is a waste of time. We need him to prove to the league he is healthy, so we have to keep him at least until early next season, and most likely to right up until the trade deadline. That's when we can make this move.

I'd even posit that moving Blake is impossible at this point until he's an expiring contract. He just makes too damn much. Even if he was a guaranteed 25/10/5 player you could expect to play all 82 games, is he worth $40 million in a time when the cap is expected to go down?
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,299

Post#212 » by NotACat » Sat May 16, 2020 10:35 am

MotownMadness wrote:Wonder if the Kings would dump Barnes with some assets? He's gotta alot of money left on his deal but he would still fill a role here and could maybe get a extra lottery pick for it.

I know they want to keep Bogdanovic so they might. Would even swap them Kennard in the deal.

Kennard
For
Barnes+12

Sac probably says no since they don't need another SG (they have Hield and Bogi)
Black Lives Matter
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 468

Post#213 » by Crymson » Mon May 18, 2020 5:02 pm

Canadafan wrote:Mehhhhh we're pretty horrible. I dont think jordan in his prime would help us win many games let alone a healthy Blake

There will be the usual bevy of bad teams next season, and a healthy Griffin would undoubtedly help the Pistons win games season. The 2021 draft will be strong. Every loss counts.

Ironically, this past season's "healthy" Griffin would be most helpful toward that purpose; he was terrible. Unfortunately for Blake, there's no telling what his ceiling is following his fourth and fifth knee surgeries.

Bleacher Report has, over the years, somehow cadged itself an undeserved reputation as a reputable source of news and analysis. The quality of the average NBA content is very poor, present example included. This is an absolutely terrible proposition for the Pistons, and bad for the Sixers as well.

MotownMadness wrote:Wonder if the Kings would dump Barnes with some assets? He's gotta alot of money left on his deal but he would still fill a role here and could maybe get a extra lottery pick for it.

Kennard
For
Barnes+12

I'm curious what role you feel Barnes could fill for the Pistons at this stage. In the first place, he's the sort of ball-stopping shooter who scores points without actually helping his team. In the second, he's extremely overpaid for what he provides. In the third, he doesn't play at a position of need. Finally, the Pistons are by all indications not looking to compete right now in the first place.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#214 » by MotownMadness » Mon May 18, 2020 5:59 pm

Kennard
For
Barnes+12

I'm curious what role you feel Barnes could fill for the Pistons at this stage. In the first place, he's the sort of ball-stopping shooter who scores points without actually helping his team. In the second, he's extremely overpaid for what he provides. In the third, he doesn't play at a position of need. Finally, the Pistons are by all indications not looking to compete right now in the first place.

Where did i say i want him to help us try to win? I said i would want to take on his overpaid contract for their lottery pick. His role for the mean time would be just play the 3 spot.
Crymson
Rookie

Post#215 » by Crymson » Mon May 18, 2020 7:59 pm

MotownMadness wrote: Where did i say i want him to help us try to win? I said i would want to take on his overpaid contract for their lottery pick. His role for the mean time would be just play the 3 spot.

Kennard is himself worth a pick in the low teens. Kennard for Barnes plus #12 would amount to taking on Barnes for nothing.

Even were Kennard not involved, the guy has three years remaining on his deal and is the absolute perfect type to steal usage from the roster's youth. No thanks.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#216 » by DetroitDon15 » Mon May 18, 2020 10:18 pm

DCintheD wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
edmunder_prc wrote:

This. I like Turner but as crazy as this might sound I think Wood is and will be better. Giving up the pick for him makes zero sense. Plus Blake’s deal no longer hurts us. Just ride it out if there’s nothing logical out there.

I’m confused. Horfords deal is longer and worse than Griffin. I think that Philly needs a pick to move it. I wouldn’t swap Griffin/Horford without a pick coming back. If you take out Detroit's pick and swap in a Phill pick, it might make sense. 4 more years of an injured 34 year old Horford scares me more than two of Griffin.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,585

Post#217 » by NYG » Sun May 24, 2020 8:44 am

Would the Pistons dump Tony Snell if no assets were sent out or returned to them?
Crymson
Rookie

Post#218 » by Crymson » Sun May 24, 2020 5:37 pm

NYG wrote:Would the Pistons dump Tony Snell if no assets were sent out or returned to them?

Absolutely. He was bad last season, and will serve no practical purpose in what will almost certainly be a rebuilding season. Unfortunately, nobody is likely to want him. He's not a good NBA player, he's very overpaid at $12 million, and the cap will be going down.

Fortunately, the Pistons haven't got any need for cap space next season short of the ability to absorb bad contracts.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#219 » by Pharaoh » Mon May 25, 2020 3:18 am

Crymson wrote:
NYG wrote:Would the Pistons dump Tony Snell if no assets were sent out or returned to them?

Absolutely. He was bad last season, and will serve no practical purpose in what will almost certainly be a rebuilding season. Unfortunately, nobody is likely to want him. He's not a good NBA player, he's very overpaid at $12 million, and the cap will be going down.

Fortunately, the Pistons haven't got any need for cap space next season short of the ability to absorb bad contracts.
I think there's several teams that could use Snell IF they had anything we needed.

He's a good 3&D wing that doesn't get outside his toolbox.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,374

Post#220 » by Billl » Mon May 25, 2020 1:56 pm

For immediate cap space? Sure. Otherwise, he's an expiring. We aren't going to move him unless it improves our future in some way.

Return to Detroit Pistons