ImageImage

Free agents potentially of-interest

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,429

Re: Free agents potentially of-interest 

Post#21 » by CP War Hawks » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:45 am

CP War Hawks wrote:My top two guys are Harrell and Teague. 22m for the former, 13.5m to the latter.

Still leaves you a max slot for 2021 depending on Collins' extension. Bpa for needs or trade up in this draft.

It's important for them to show real growth next season if I'm ressler.

I'm becoming bearish on both particularly Teague. He doesn't play well within the system, and I'd rather go after a bigger combo guard in the mold of a Dinwizzie. There should a plethora of those in the draft.

Harrell is a winner but he will get engulfed by taller players. A cheap and solid backup C may be Favors. He can rebound and block shots if anything else.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,867

Post#22 » by jayu70 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:15 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:
CP War Hawks wrote:My top two guys are Harrell and Teague. 22m for the former, 13.5m to the latter.

Still leaves you a max slot for 2021 depending on Collins' extension. Bpa for needs or trade up in this draft.

It's important for them to show real growth next season if I'm ressler.

I'm becoming bearish on both particularly Teague. He doesn't play well within the system, and I'd rather go after a bigger combo guard in the mold of a Dinwizzie. There should a plethora of those in the draft.

Harrell is a winner but he will get engulfed by taller players. A cheap and solid backup C may be Favors. He can rebound and block shots if anything else.

I don't want Harrell as a fulltime starting Center. He's an energy big off the bench at PF and Center, not worth $22 million.
Teague still showing his Teague-ness (I give him a light pass since I don't think he's had a one practice yet), but the indecisiveness and passiveness - still there.
CP War Hawks
Analyst

Post#23 » by CP War Hawks » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:51 pm

I think Mem and Atl are the two teams with big money to spend. Char probably blows their load on Drummond. The team should get a couple of value deals.

Gasol
Favors
Ibaka
Dragic
Thompson
Marcus Morris
Clarkston
Meyers Leonard
Bogdanovic
Crowder
Baynes
Bertans
Kanter
Noel
Wood
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#24 » by azuresou1 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:19 pm

Signing Montrezl Harrell for 20M+ is criminal mismanagement. He plays no meaningful defense and is an empty stats guy. I'm certainly not using any meaningful cap space on him.

IMO the smart approach is we sign a bunch of productive veterans to big one-year contracts, and then maintain cap space to sign TWO max FAs in 2021. We then pitch Giannis on getting another max player of his choice, while still playing alongside Trae and the Hunter/Reddish/Huerter wing rotation (JC is probably out due to positional overlap and costs).
jayu70
RealGM

Post#25 » by jayu70 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:00 pm

Salary Cap update as it relates to FAcy.
Read on Twitter

.....the original 2020-21 cap projection of $116 million could drop as far as $113 million.

Based on ESPN's conversations with team executives, the potential drop in revenue isn't expected to significantly impact the deadline behavior of teams. Salary-cap space is less important this summer than in past years, because only seven teams are currently poised to have salary-cap space above the projected $9.8 million midlevel exception. Also, the talent pool of players available in free agency isn't considered strong.
CP War Hawks
Analyst

Post#26 » by CP War Hawks » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:17 pm

I think they will lower the salary cap closer to 110m and balloon it up for the monstrous 2021 FAs. For the Hawks, they should take advantage. Not getting any stars out of it but the amount of productive vets can be easily had.

It's almost certain you draft a big. Wiseman might be too enticing to pass up. On the other hand, I'm not opposed of trading the pick. Something along the lines of 2020 top 5 pick for Myles Turner.

Kanter - almost the perfect stop gap. Fits the very productive, affordable, young enough, and strong position need.
Dragic - up there in age but that's not a bad thing. The team needs all his experience to help run them. 2 birds with one stone type of player. Fills the hard to fill back up spot and will fit nicely with Trae as SG.
Bertans - Schlenk will probably have this guy among his top targets.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#27 » by jayu70 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:34 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:I think they will lower the salary cap closer to 110m and balloon it up for the monstrous 2021 FAs. For the Hawks, they should take advantage. Not getting any stars out of it but the amount of productive vets can be easily had.

It's almost certain you draft a big. Wiseman might be too enticing to pass up. On the other hand, I'm not opposed of trading the pick. Something along the lines of 2020 top 5 pick for Myles Turner.

Kanter - almost the perfect stop gap. Fits the very productive, affordable, young enough, and strong position need.
Dragic - up there in age but that's not a bad thing. The team needs all his experience to help run them. 2 birds with one stone type of player. Fills the hard to fill back up spot and will fit nicely with Trae as SG.
Bertans - Schlenk will probably have this guy among his top targets.

At center, I would prefer a C that plays a modicum of defense.
At PG, I'd look at Dunn from Chi.
Bertans - oh yes.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,336

Post#28 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:37 pm

Chris Kirchner wrote:Because Young has advanced his game to a level I don’t think was expected by the franchise this season, the Hawks are going to have to accelerate the rebuild next season. They can’t repeat this season once again.

...The best-case scenario for the Hawks and their fans is that a superstar believes he’s the missing piece and chooses to play for the Hawks...If we’re judging from history, it’s not very likely that one of the superstar-level players is going to choose to sign a long-term deal to play in Atlanta.

It’s likely they try to add younger veterans this offseason instead of looking to acquire bad contracts like they did last offseason. If Davis Bertans or Joe Harris aren’t re-signed by Washington or Brooklyn, respectively, they would be my top two choices for the Hawks to sign. If Gordon Hayward opts out of his contract in Boston, he also would make sense for the Hawks. Orlando’s Evan Fournier and New York’s Moe Harkless would also be solid options for Atlanta.
The Athletic
CP War Hawks
Analyst

Post#29 » by CP War Hawks » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:44 pm

Just scouring the RFA market which is very bare. But Beasley is the one that hit on most of the marks. I still think Grant makes the most sense, you'll need a guy like that to defend the Giannis, KDs, Siakams, etc. we'd face in the playoffs.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#30 » by Jamaaliver » Sat May 16, 2020 2:11 pm

I could go for some low key additions like Cory Joseph, Satoransky or even Kyle Anderson via trade. (We give up Alpha Kaba or protected, future 2nd round picks that are unlikely to convey.)

Q. Because there’s not much star talent on the market this offseason, could you see the Hawks using their cap space to try to trade for established talent? Do you have any favorite hypothetical trades or targets who you think would fit nicely?

A. It will be a more challenging market for salary-clearing trades, largely because there are not nearly as many signings that require facilitation with a weak free-agent class...

Still, there are a few players worth considering depending on how their front offices approach this offseason: Caris LeVert (Nets), Rodney McGruder (Clippers), Tomas Satoransky (Bulls) and Rudy Gay (Spurs), plus the Knicks’ trio of Reggie Bullock, Frank Ntilikina and Dennis Smith as positive value contracts, then James Johnson (Timberwolves), Cory Joseph (Kings), Doug McDermott (Pacers) and Kyle Anderson (Grizzlies) as closer to salary dumps. One big challenge for this offseason is it is hard to imagine anyone giving up strong assets to offload salary, so the goal will be either identifying more viable reclamation projects or targeting closer to neutral value deals like Gay and Satoransky.
The Athletic
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Post#31 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat May 16, 2020 2:30 pm

For due diligence, make an offer to Anthony Davis and Brandon Ingram.

But besides that, I wonder if Millsap, Favors, or Dwight would be willing to come over on a team friendly deal?

I would also like to give a small Hawks' farewell tour to Kyle Korver.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,894

Post#32 » by HMFFL » Sun May 17, 2020 12:40 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:For due diligence, make an offer to Anthony Davis and Brandon Ingram.

But besides that, I wonder if Millsap, Favors, or Dwight would be willing to come over on a team friendly deal?

I would also like to give a small Hawks' farewell tour to Kyle Korver.
Random about Dwight Howard but he's currently in Atlanta or was yesterday. According to someone I know who works at Cheeky Taqueria in Suwanee, GA Dwight Howard, his lady, and body guard went there to eat.

Same situation with a different friend who works at the Cheesecake Factory. They ate there the first of the year. Maybe he spends most of his off time in Atlanta.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#33 » by Spud2nique » Sun May 17, 2020 3:46 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I could go for some low key additions like Cory Joseph, Satoransky or even Kyle Anderson via trade. (We give up Alpha Kaba or protected, future 2nd round picks that are unlikely to convey.)

Q. Because there’s not much star talent on the market this offseason, could you see the Hawks using their cap space to try to trade for established talent? Do you have any favorite hypothetical trades or targets who you think would fit nicely?

A. It will be a more challenging market for salary-clearing trades, largely because there are not nearly as many signings that require facilitation with a weak free-agent class...

Still, there are a few players worth considering depending on how their front offices approach this offseason: Caris LeVert (Nets), Rodney McGruder (Clippers), Tomas Satoransky (Bulls) and Rudy Gay (Spurs), plus the Knicks’ trio of Reggie Bullock, Frank Ntilikina and Dennis Smith as positive value contracts, then James Johnson (Timberwolves), Cory Joseph (Kings), Doug McDermott (Pacers) and Kyle Anderson (Grizzlies) as closer to salary dumps. One big challenge for this offseason is it is hard to imagine anyone giving up strong assets to offload salary, so the goal will be either identifying more viable reclamation projects or targeting closer to neutral value deals like Gay and Satoransky.
The Athletic

Wouldn’t mind McDermott as a sniper off the pine. We need guys that are shot makers besides Trae. He’s a cheaper option to Joe Harris. I don’t think Joe Harris is the right free agent for us and I don’t think we are right for him. Timelines don’t match for the contract amount he’s about to get paid.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#34 » by jayu70 » Mon May 18, 2020 3:04 pm

A look at our own FAs:
Read on Twitter

Jeff Teague 
Contract status: Unrestricted free agent.
Odds he returns: 50 percent.

DeAndre’ Bembry 
Contract status: Restricted free agent if offered a qualifying offer of $7,811,946.
Odds he returns: Five percent.

Skal Labissiere 
Contract status: Restricted free agent if offered a qualifying offer of $7,016,541.
Odds he returns: 60 percent.

Damian Jones 
Contract status: Restricted free agent if offered a qualifying offer of $6,915,171.
Odds he returns: Zero percent.

Treveon Graham  
Odds he returns: 10 percent.

Vince Carter 
Odds he returns: Zero percent.

Brandon Goodwin 
Contract status: $1,701,593 fully guaranteed if on the roster after Aug. 1.
Odds he returns: 80 percent.

kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#35 » by kg01 » Mon May 18, 2020 3:22 pm

jayu70 wrote:A look at our own FAs:
Damian Jones 
Contract status: Restricted free agent if offered a qualifying offer of $6,915,171.

I gotta call bull on this one.

Way too high a percentage.

:)
king01 :king:
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,925

Post#36 » by shakes0 » Mon May 18, 2020 6:14 pm

kg01 wrote:
jayu70 wrote:A look at our own FAs:
Damian Jones 

I gotta call bull on this one.

Way too high a percentage.

:)

bit of a typo by Jayu70. Zero % is actually the % of Damian Jone's brain that is used for basketball IQ.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#37 » by Jamaaliver » Wed May 20, 2020 7:57 pm

NBA free agent scouting report: De’Anthony Melton

The Atlanta Hawks have a need for good basketball players. If you could distill the central task facing President of Basketball Operations and General Manager Travis Schlenk this offseason into a single mantra, it would be this:

Acquire more good basketball players.

...a preference for younger talent has been noted on the record by Schlenk, in an interview with Chris Kirschner of The Athletic:

“Schlenk said, ideally, he will add players he feels are still growing or can still grow with the young core that is currently in place.”

One such young player who could make sense for Atlanta, in terms of both their need for good basketball players and in full view of their long term timeline, is De’Anthony Melton, currently of the Memphis Grizzlies. Take a quick glance at Melton’s statistics and you might be underwhelmed. But look deeper, and you find a winning player.

Per Cleaning the Glass, the best on/off differential on Memphis belongs not to Rookie of the Year frontrunner Ja Morant, but Melton. He also had the best net rating among players who logged at least 500 minutes for the Grizzlies. His team was more than four points worse with him off the floor, according to PBP Stats.

Further, Melton has the team’s second-best mark in total RAPTOR (min. 500 minutes played) as well as the team’s second-highest PIPM. Despite playing only a little over 1,000 minutes, he’s third on the Grizzlies in PIPM’s Wins Added category. In summary, metrics, which attempt to ballpark holistic impact, really like Melton.

Melton provides impact by playing superb defense at the point of attack. With a defensive rating of 105 per NBA Stats, he posted the team’s top rating among players who played at least 500 minutes. Equipped with great hands and instinctive, Melton is a force as an on-ball defender, where he’s usually tasked with mucking up the point of attack and disrupting the opponent’s offensive rhythm. He was one of only five players to post at least a 3% steal rate this season (minimum 40 games played).
Spoiler:
Melton’s anticipation on defense also carries over to blocking shots, where his length (6’8.5 wingspan) is an asset in erasing attempts. This ability allows him to make plays not just as a perimeter defender, but on the interior as well. Owing to his physical tools, instincts, and motor, Melton is able to play bigger than his listed height.

In spite of his height, Melton spent almost 85 percent of his time on the court playing shooting guard. From there, playing next to another ball handler is where he’s most effective, supplying secondary playmaking, knocking down open shots off the catch, and attacking the basket.

Offensively, Melton is a work in progress, yet he posted the team’s best offensive rating among players who played at least 500 minutes, giving him two-way impact. His offensive role could be broadly described as a secondary creator, where he works alongside a primary and fills in gaps in playmaking as needed.

At his best, Melton operates as a secondary offensive conduit, offering his offense the capability to reset possessions with him running pick and rolls, making quick passes to set up teammates, and scoring himself when needed. In essence, Melton allows a team to play with two point guards, gaining the offensive benefits of enhanced playmaking from two-PG lineups, but without the typical defensive trade-offs.

If Schlenk and the Hawks choose to leverage their considerable cap space, the franchise could force Memphis to make a very difficult decision regarding Melton’s future. Moreover, Schlenk could face a tough decision in his own right in terms of how far to go to seal Melton’s signature. Even still, Memphis could decide that Melton is valuable enough to pay a premium for and retain him, but at least then Atlanta made them work for him; even if they lose out on him, at least they followed the right process.
Peachtree Hoops
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#38 » by Spud2nique » Wed May 20, 2020 11:10 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
NBA free agent scouting report: De’Anthony Melton

The Atlanta Hawks have a need for good basketball players. If you could distill the central task facing President of Basketball Operations and General Manager Travis Schlenk this offseason into a single mantra, it would be this:

Acquire more good basketball players.

...a preference for younger talent has been noted on the record by Schlenk, in an interview with Chris Kirschner of The Athletic:

“Schlenk said, ideally, he will add players he feels are still growing or can still grow with the young core that is currently in place.”

One such young player who could make sense for Atlanta, in terms of both their need for good basketball players and in full view of their long term timeline, is De’Anthony Melton, currently of the Memphis Grizzlies. Take a quick glance at Melton’s statistics and you might be underwhelmed. But look deeper, and you find a winning player.

Per Cleaning the Glass, the best on/off differential on Memphis belongs not to Rookie of the Year frontrunner Ja Morant, but Melton. He also had the best net rating among players who logged at least 500 minutes for the Grizzlies. His team was more than four points worse with him off the floor, according to PBP Stats.

Further, Melton has the team’s second-best mark in total RAPTOR (min. 500 minutes played) as well as the team’s second-highest PIPM. Despite playing only a little over 1,000 minutes, he’s third on the Grizzlies in PIPM’s Wins Added category. In summary, metrics, which attempt to ballpark holistic impact, really like Melton.

Melton provides impact by playing superb defense at the point of attack. With a defensive rating of 105 per NBA Stats, he posted the team’s top rating among players who played at least 500 minutes. Equipped with great hands and instinctive, Melton is a force as an on-ball defender, where he’s usually tasked with mucking up the point of attack and disrupting the opponent’s offensive rhythm. He was one of only five players to post at least a 3% steal rate this season (minimum 40 games played).
Spoiler:
Melton’s anticipation on defense also carries over to blocking shots, where his length (6’8.5 wingspan) is an asset in erasing attempts. This ability allows him to make plays not just as a perimeter defender, but on the interior as well. Owing to his physical tools, instincts, and motor, Melton is able to play bigger than his listed height.

In spite of his height, Melton spent almost 85 percent of his time on the court playing shooting guard. From there, playing next to another ball handler is where he’s most effective, supplying secondary playmaking, knocking down open shots off the catch, and attacking the basket.

Offensively, Melton is a work in progress, yet he posted the team’s best offensive rating among players who played at least 500 minutes, giving him two-way impact. His offensive role could be broadly described as a secondary creator, where he works alongside a primary and fills in gaps in playmaking as needed.

At his best, Melton operates as a secondary offensive conduit, offering his offense the capability to reset possessions with him running pick and rolls, making quick passes to set up teammates, and scoring himself when needed. In essence, Melton allows a team to play with two point guards, gaining the offensive benefits of enhanced playmaking from two-PG lineups, but without the typical defensive trade-offs.

If Schlenk and the Hawks choose to leverage their considerable cap space, the franchise could force Memphis to make a very difficult decision regarding Melton’s future. Moreover, Schlenk could face a tough decision in his own right in terms of how far to go to seal Melton’s signature. Even still, Memphis could decide that Melton is valuable enough to pay a premium for and retain him, but at least then Atlanta made them work for him; even if they lose out on him, at least they followed the right process.
Peachtree Hoops

I’m not mad. Saw him live at usc a bit ago. But if we gonna bring him we might as well draft another usc, Okongwu. Let’s go! :wink:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#39 » by Jamaaliver » Sat May 30, 2020 2:47 pm

These are terrible suggestions...

Every NBA Team's 2020 Free-Agency Big Board

Atlanta Hawks

1. Brandon Ingram
  2. Bogdan Bogdanovic
  3. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

When you're projected to have more cap space than anyone else, one good way to put it to use is to make other teams sweat a little. That's why throwing a max offer sheet (for however many years he wants) at Brandon Ingram should be the Atlanta Hawks' top priority.

Ingram is one of the only options who's young enough to fit with the Hawks' core of relative noobs and worth the hassle of tying up spending power while the New Orleans Pelicans decide whether to match—which they almost certainly will, unless they head this whole thing off at the pass by agreeing to a contract that keeps Ingram off the restricted market.

If the Hawks get indications that an Ingram offer sheet would be a waste of time, they should take a look at another restricted free agent, the Sacramento Kings' Bogdan Bogdanovic. The combo guard could help avoid the catastrophe that arises whenever Trae Young rests and provide off-ball scoring when paired with the star guard. Atlanta should be ready to go up to $20 million per season if it wants to make the Kings blink.

The safest and least costly route for Atlanta involves targeting Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, a Georgia product who has an $8.5 million player option for 2020-21. If he opts out, the Hawks could blow away other suitors by offering him a deal worth something like $45 million over three years. His defense would fill a dire need, and his spot-up game means he wouldn't take any touches away from Young.

These are the higher-value targets. Whether the Hawks connect on one of these swings or not, they also have to shore up the backup point guard spot.
Bleacher Report
jayu70
RealGM

Post#40 » by jayu70 » Sat May 30, 2020 3:52 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:These are terrible suggestions...

Every NBA Team's 2020 Free-Agency Big Board

Atlanta Hawks

1. Brandon Ingram
  2. Bogdan Bogdanovic
  3. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

When you're projected to have more cap space than anyone else, one good way to put it to use is to make other teams sweat a little. That's why throwing a max offer sheet (for however many years he wants) at Brandon Ingram should be the Atlanta Hawks' top priority.

Ingram is one of the only options who's young enough to fit with the Hawks' core of relative noobs and worth the hassle of tying up spending power while the New Orleans Pelicans decide whether to match—which they almost certainly will, unless they head this whole thing off at the pass by agreeing to a contract that keeps Ingram off the restricted market.

If the Hawks get indications that an Ingram offer sheet would be a waste of time, they should take a look at another restricted free agent, the Sacramento Kings' Bogdan Bogdanovic. The combo guard could help avoid the catastrophe that arises whenever Trae Young rests and provide off-ball scoring when paired with the star guard. Atlanta should be ready to go up to $20 million per season if it wants to make the Kings blink.

The safest and least costly route for Atlanta involves targeting Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, a Georgia product who has an $8.5 million player option for 2020-21. If he opts out, the Hawks could blow away other suitors by offering him a deal worth something like $45 million over three years. His defense would fill a dire need, and his spot-up game means he wouldn't take any touches away from Young.

These are the higher-value targets. Whether the Hawks connect on one of these swings or not, they also have to shore up the backup point guard spot.
Bleacher Report

I concur...just turrible. Just because you have capspace doesn't mean you still cant be judicious in spending it.

Return to Atlanta Hawks