ImageImageImage

CoVid Check in / update..... or 'Where is Paul Panks?'

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Re: CoVid Check in / update..... or 'Where is Paul Panks?' 

Post#81 » by cberry78 » Tue May 5, 2020 9:16 pm

Frank Lee wrote:Well, the flood gates will reopen in AZ soon, so the general public of Lake Havasu is in full force of not practicing any of the recommended guidelines. Its weird... a few weeks back, masks were quite common, often running towards 50%. Went to the store last night and it was 1 of 7-8 may be... I guess the Trumpet's and anti-vaxer's message is settling in. 36 cases here now (doubled in 10 days or so) 4 deaths. No public testing. This past weekend the lake was packed, boat ramps filled to capacity. What virus???? :o
Still lucky to be here,tho freedom could extract a price shortly.

Odd note, The Exaggerator in Chief is in Phoenix today... no reason stated. Chumming with McSally at a refitted mask factory. Wonder if he'll sneak a round in?

I'm praying for heatstroke. :pray: :pray: :pray:
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
NavLDO
Suns Forum Defensive Player of the Year
And1: 1,425

Post#82 » by NavLDO » Wed May 6, 2020 6:35 pm

Frank Lee wrote:Well, the flood gates will reopen in AZ soon, so the general public of Lake Havasu is in full force of not practicing any of the recommended guidelines. Its weird... a few weeks back, masks were quite common, often running towards 50%. Went to the store last night and it was 1 of 7-8 may be... I guess the Trumpet's and anti-vaxer's message is settling in. 36 cases here now (doubled in 10 days or so) 4 deaths. No public testing. This past weekend the lake was packed, boat ramps filled to capacity. What virus???? :o

Odd note, The Exaggerator in Chief is in Phoenix today... no reason stated. Chumming with McSally at a refitted mask factory. Wonder if he'll sneak a round in?

I don't understand it myself...at the end of March, most folks were in a fit over this thing, and there were, what, maybe a 1/3 the total cases we have now, yet once the slightest downturn occurs, and everyone has cabin fever, and are back out, doing stuff, like there's not a concern in the world.

...you know that 2nd wave that has been discussed? at this rate, it's gonna hit within the next week or two, because too many folks are acting like it's over...I'm sorry...has there been a vaccine or antibody released to the general public in the last few days that I am not aware of???

...the Indiana Governor has released a staged/phased plan back to normalcy...like in the next 4-6 weeks, this will be a thing of the past...again, I ask...is there a cure that I am not aware of?? How do I get it!?!?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,412

Post#83 » by bwgood77 » Wed May 6, 2020 7:19 pm

NavLDO wrote:

I don't understand it myself...at the end of March, most folks were in a fit over this thing, and there were, what, maybe a 1/3 the total cases we have now, yet once the slightest downturn occurs, and everyone has cabin fever, and are back out, doing stuff, like there's not a concern in the world.

...you know that 2nd wave that has been discussed? at this rate, it's gonna hit within the next week or two, because too many folks are acting like it's over...I'm sorry...has there been a vaccine or antibody released to the general public in the last few days that I am not aware of???

...the Indiana Governor has released a staged/phased plan back to normalcy...like in the next 4-6 weeks, this will be a thing of the past...again, I ask...is there a cure that I am not aware of?? How do I get it!?!?

Yeah, in Austin, it was near 100% masks as little as a week ago and now it has pulled back. I haven't been to grocery store but at the convenience store a lot of people without them. Some grocery stores and drug stores, probably most, require them though, so that's good.

Austin's a very liberal city, especially for Texas though, so there won't be as much outrage as you see in other places. Cases are still going up though, despite people mostly staying home the last month and a half....however that's likely in large case due to there being a lot more tests....so more confirmed cases and maybe not more overall cases that exist.

It kind of on the surface looks like the stay at home stuff didn't help a lot, as numbers haven't really decreased outside of NY, but I imagine had we gone on as business as usual, things would look REALLY ugly now.

I did kind of think it would start to die down when it got hotter, but I guess it hasn't been that hot in many places for long....but I fear the next flu season without still having a vaccine, especially if people are all happy going back to normal.
cberry78
Bench Warmer

Post#84 » by cberry78 » Wed May 6, 2020 10:16 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
NavLDO wrote:

Yeah, in Austin, it was near 100% masks as little as a week ago and now it has pulled back. I haven't been to grocery store but at the convenience store a lot of people without them. Some grocery stores and drug stores, probably most, require them though, so that's good.

Austin's a very liberal city, especially for Texas though, so there won't be as much outrage as you see in other places. Cases are still going up though, despite people mostly staying home the last month and a half....however that's likely in large case due to there being a lot more tests....so more confirmed cases and maybe not more overall cases that exist.

It kind of on the surface looks like the stay at home stuff didn't help a lot, as numbers haven't really decreased outside of NY, but I imagine had we gone on as business as usual, things would look REALLY ugly now.

I did kind of think it would start to die down when it got hotter, but I guess it hasn't been that hot in many places for long....but I fear the next flu season without still having a vaccine, especially if people are all happy going back to normal.

Early reports are that heat, and especially dry heat, has virtually no bearing on COVID-19, high humidity combined with heat seems to affect it more than not. (If I can find any of the articles I've read supporting this I'll come back and add it.)

There will be a second wave of cases, and with how Arizonans are acting right now, it's gonna be bad, possibly even worse than what we've seen so far. :(
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#85 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed May 6, 2020 11:30 pm

cberry78 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
NavLDO wrote:

Early reports are that heat, and especially dry heat, has virtually no bearing on COVID-19, high humidity combined with heat seems to affect it more than not. (If I can find any of the articles I've read supporting this I'll come back and add it.)

There will be a second wave of cases, and with how Arizonans are acting right now, it's gonna be bad, possibly even worse than what we've seen so far. :(
You're correct that humidity is better than dry for eliminating this on outside surfaces but the sun definitely helps us here in AZ, UV rays are one of natures best disinfectants. I'd guess it's helped keep some numbers down the whole time.

But all in all outdoor spread in any weather isn't the main problem, indoors and high density are far more dangerous conditions.

Another thing to note when it comes to seasonality of any virus is something that has nothing to do with weather, it's schools being out of session which we already have so that help isn't coming.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#86 » by bwgood77 » Wed May 6, 2020 11:58 pm

cberry78 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
NavLDO wrote:

Yeah, I have read the reports. I just thought, in general, other than the much higher spread rates and higher death rate, that it would still die down a bit during the typical non flu months and that it would hit back hard November-March again....probably starting in October hitting harder. But it doesn't seem to be slowing down. It's hard to tell when testing increases along with cases going up....so I don't think it's getting worse, but just not sure it's getting better. I know there are some reports saying you can catch it again or that it's mutated so you can catch it again....but in general, typically if you catch a strain of something you are immune, so I have no idea there. I am thinking it may have mutated in certain places where it spread fast, like in Italy, and had trouble finding hosts where some of those countries completely shut down. I doubt it's mutated much in the U.S. with still plenty of people out and about willing to take it on.
cberry78
Bench Warmer

Post#87 » by cberry78 » Thu May 7, 2020 12:01 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
cberry78 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

You're correct that humidity is better than dry for eliminating this on outside surfaces but the sun definitely helps us here in AZ, UV rays are one of natures best disinfectants. I'd guess it's helped keep some numbers down the whole time.

But all in all outdoor spread in any weather isn't the main problem, indoors and high density are far more dangerous conditions.

Another thing to note when it comes to seasonality of any virus is something that has nothing to do with weather, it's schools being out of session which we already have so that help isn't coming.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

You're thinking of UVC rays, which are great at killing, well, everything, and they're what's filtered by the planets' ozone layer/atmosphere - that's why life on this planet is still alive. The UV rays that we're subjected to every day (UV A & B) are not that good at disinfecting things...they just cause cancer (wear your sunscreen boys and girls).

You're absolutely right about the school situation though. School's being closed during the stay at home order were one of the most effective forms of containment during this pandemic....yeah it's sucked for both parents and kids alike (my son is a graduating HS senior - luckily he couldn't care less about the hoopla that goes along with that, but I know others aren't like him) - but flattening the curve was the idea behind them, and non-essential workers, staying home.

My, personal, fear is actually the outdoor spread. We know that it can live for days on a surface, with how dry it is in Phx during thee summers, we have no real basis to gauge how much it can (and will) be carried on the wind. We already have Valley Fever and the hantavirus blowing in the air across the state, we don't know that this won't act the same.

And thank you for coming to my Ted Talk. /s
cberry78
Bench Warmer

Post#88 » by cberry78 » Thu May 7, 2020 12:04 am

bwgood77 wrote:
cberry78 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Yeah, I have read the reports. I just thought, in general, other than the much higher spread rates and higher death rate, that it would still die down a bit during the typical non flu months and that it would hit back hard November-March again....probably starting in October hitting harder. But it doesn't seem to be slowing down. It's hard to tell when testing increases along with cases going up....so I don't think it's getting worse, but just not sure it's getting better. I know there are some reports saying you can catch it again or that it's mutated so you can catch it again....but in general, typically if you catch a strain of something you are immune, so I have no idea there. I am thinking it may have mutated in certain places where it spread fast, like in Italy, and had trouble finding hosts where some of those countries completely shut down. I doubt it's mutated much in the U.S. with still plenty of people out and about willing to take it on.

They've talked about the extreme high heat of the interior of vehicles in the summer (you really can bake cookies!) being effective at sanitizing the vehicles, but the every day high-heat of AZ desert summers probably isn't going to be enough to make any noticeable difference. :dontknow:

EDIT: I read something yesterday that they've estimated that the "original" COVID-19 has mutated into 30-some genetically different variants already. That in itself isn't uncommon for viruses, but it does make it more difficult to find any sort of vaccine. The common cold is a coronavirus that we've been dealing with for ever and we haven't been able to come up with an effective vaccine against that....granted, it's nowhere near as deadly as what we're facing now, so maybe that catalyst will be more effective in finding a REAL treatment.
JDLAW
Suns Forum CBA and Legal Expert
And1: 1,301

Post#89 » by JDLAW » Thu May 7, 2020 6:26 am

You are right about viruses mutating - most do. As for the heat, it is not a solution to this virus, it is possibly destroyed on a sunbaked surface in 110F but that is not the primary means of transmission.

For all my brothers out there in Suns land, don't take this virus lightly. As BW knows, back in 2011, I had a lung issue in 2011 that was very similar to that the severe COVID-19 patients are going through. I spent a nearly 3 weeks in a coma on a ventilator and an ECMO. The pathogen I had was not able to be identified but like the present day COVID-19 patients my immune system kicked up (cytokine storm) and attacked my lungs. The ventilator seriously damaged my lungs. This is exactly what is going on here. I lost my lungs 5 years later and needed a transplant. I predict that many "recovered" COVID-19 patients will have the same course. The best course is prevention.

It doesn't happen to everyone and it doesn't happen only to the elderly, obese, hypertensive. It can happen to anyone because there is no way to predict how your immune system will respond to an insult from this virus.

I tell you this not for sympathy but because there is too much mis-information out there and too may politicians and others don't have your best interests at heart. I am concerned about when you my brothers and fellow Suns fans emerge from this hibernation. When you get back out there, follow the distancing guidelines, wear your protective gear and wash your hands no matter how big of an inconvenience. Be careful, for you and your loved ones.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#90 » by bwgood77 » Thu May 7, 2020 7:30 pm

JDLAW wrote:You are right about viruses mutating - most do. As for the heat, it is not a solution to this virus, it is possibly destroyed on a sunbaked surface in 110F but that is not the primary means of transmission.

For all my brothers out there in Suns land, don't take this virus lightly. As BW knows, back in 2011, I had a lung issue in 2011 that was very similar to that the severe COVID-19 patients are going through. I spent a nearly 3 weeks in a coma on a ventilator and an ECMO. The pathogen I had was not able to be identified but like the present day COVID-19 patients my immune system kicked up (cytokine storm) and attacked my lungs. The ventilator seriously damaged my lungs. This is exactly what is going on here. I lost my lungs 5 years later and needed a transplant. I predict that many "recovered" COVID-19 patients will have the same course. The best course is prevention.

It doesn't happen to everyone and it doesn't happen only to the elderly, obese, hypertensive. It can happen to anyone because there is no way to predict how your immune system will respond to an insult from this virus.

I tell you this not for sympathy but because there is too much mis-information out there and too may politicians and others don't have your best interests at heart. I am concerned about when you my brothers and fellow Suns fans emerge from this hibernation. When you get back out there, follow the distancing guidelines, wear your protective gear and wash your hands no matter how big of an inconvenience. Be careful, for you and your loved ones.

Yes, I thought about you with this virus and that someone with your history obviously needs to be especially careful. I think in general, also, people that are younger, even without underlying issues, don't realize that even though the death rate is as low as it is for younger people, that it can severely damage your lungs.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,164

Post#91 » by bigfoot » Thu May 7, 2020 7:42 pm

JDLAW wrote:You are right about viruses mutating - most do. As for the heat, it is not a solution to this virus, it is possibly destroyed on a sunbaked surface in 110F but that is not the primary means of transmission.

That's some crazy stuff JD. Like I said earlier, this time last year I had a similar episode over 12 days. Chemo-induced inflammation of the lungs. Doctors said I have a 40% chance of it happening again at some point so I'm trying to be extra careful. Can't imagine being in your situation. Stay safe folks ... we will be watching NBA games on TV sometime soon and at least we won't have to worry about more Lakers fans showing up to our home games than Suns fans.
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Post#92 » by ATTL » Mon May 11, 2020 4:38 am

My dad had to go to the ER to get his surgery but he seems to be doing better.

My uncle is still in the hospital but is doing better. His kidneys were effected from the medication so that may be a problem now.
JDLAW

Post#93 » by JDLAW » Mon May 11, 2020 6:09 am

bigfoot wrote:

That's some crazy stuff JD. Like I said earlier, this time last year I had a similar episode over 12 days. Chemo-induced inflammation of the lungs. Doctors said I have a 40% chance of it happening again at some point so I'm trying to be extra careful. Can't imagine being in your situation. Stay safe folks ... we will be watching NBA games on TV sometime soon and at least we won't have to worry about more Lakers fans showing up to our home games than Suns fans.

Your situation sounds scary too. Stay safe and stay well brother.
JDLAW

Post#94 » by JDLAW » Mon May 11, 2020 6:11 am

ATTL wrote:My dad had to go to the ER to get his surgery but he seems to be doing better.

My uncle is still in the hospital but is doing better. His kidneys were effected from the medication so that may be a problem now.

I wish them the best.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,163

Post#95 » by Frank Lee » Sun May 17, 2020 7:03 am

I swear, this whole push to reopen seems fueled by barflies wanting to reswarm.
What ? Me Worry ?
cberry78
Bench Warmer

Post#96 » by cberry78 » Sun May 17, 2020 10:59 am

Frank Lee wrote:I swear, this whole push to reopen seems fueled by barflies wanting to reswarm.

They're pushing to open as much as possible before Memorial Day weekend. The gubmint understands how much money that means to the state's economy, and they're more than willing to sacrifice 5% of the population for a few bucks. #MURICA!
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#97 » by bwgood77 » Sun May 17, 2020 5:33 pm

I was suprised at biggest grocery store in Austin yesterday I didn't see one person not wearing a mask. I thought with all this mask backlash, there would be some without them.
starbosa10
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,140

Post#98 » by starbosa10 » Sun May 17, 2020 6:05 pm

Frank Lee wrote:I swear, this whole push to reopen seems fueled by barflies wanting to reswarm.

definitely a large contingent for sure.
cberry78
Bench Warmer

Post#99 » by cberry78 » Sun May 17, 2020 6:51 pm

bwgood77 wrote:I was suprised at biggest grocery store in Austin yesterday I didn't see one person not wearing a mask. I thought with all this mask backlash, there would be some without them.
I envy you. I'm going to pick up groceries at Walmart in a little bit, and I know that less than half the people there, employees included, won't be wearing masks.

Sent from my moto e5 play using RealGM mobile app
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#100 » by bwgood77 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:28 pm

cberry78 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:I was suprised at biggest grocery store in Austin yesterday I didn't see one person not wearing a mask. I thought with all this mask backlash, there would be some without them.
I envy you. I'm going to pick up groceries at Walmart in a little bit, and I know that less than half the people there, employees included, won't be wearing masks.

Sent from my moto e5 play using RealGM mobile app

Yeah, most of the backlash, if not all, on my facebook feed, are people from Phx I knew or even some I didn't know but were friend suggestions years ago.

Return to Phoenix Suns