ImageImage

2020 Pre-Draft Discussion

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Re: 2020 Draft Discussion 

Post#441 » by LofJ » Sat May 2, 2020 1:45 pm

_tijo_ wrote:I know Hayes is a different person, etc.

But after Diaw and Batum, I just can't see Michael taking a French player. At least not for a while.

His Dad is American and he was born in Florida, i.e. similar to Tony Parker. I doubt he'll have trouble acclimating to the NBA and life in the US.

The possibility of starting free agency before the draft is really, really intriguing. The draft wouldn't be as chaotic, but from the standpoint of us fans it would give us more time to process and discuss what the team is doing.
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#442 » by CoreyVillains » Sat May 2, 2020 6:00 pm

Hey dudes, saw one of my vids posted here and thought I’d stop by to drop in the rest of the draft scouting videos I’ve made this year for you guys to watch.

LofJ
RealGM

Post#443 » by LofJ » Sat May 2, 2020 7:54 pm

Wiseman looks like a defensive beast in the above video. He's definitely getting slept on, if he played a full season I think he would have been the consensus top pick. I won't get excited about him ever being a Hornet though, the lottery has burned us too many times.

Hayes, Haliburton, or Vassell are who I hope we land with our pick.
Trey24
Sixth Man
And1: 2,004

Post#444 » by Trey24 » Sun May 3, 2020 1:16 am

I am team Wiseman. We dont have the talent to warrant starting someone like PJ at the 5, so we should go the different route with a rim protector IF POSSIBLE. Deni Avidja or however you spell it is an interesting prospect, and he has proven himself against pro talent more than anyone else in this draft. Also, would never have thought I would say this, but Lamelo Ball is definitely going to be a big contributor in the league. I don't think our team is the right fit but we have to draft BPA in this draft and each of the next couple moving forward. We do actually have a need at backup PG. I have more thoughts but whatever, all depends on what type of lottery luck we have. There is a star in this draft, possibly multiple. But it is nore of a question mark than ever about who that will be.
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#445 » by UNCNYC » Mon May 4, 2020 4:06 pm

As a fan I want us to draft HAYES but as a GM I would not do it. Instead I would trade back and pick up a future 1st
and pick like 12 and choose McDaniels first.

Then with the 2nd pick choose out of

PICK 1 - JaDen McDaniels

PICK 2 - Leandro Balmoro, Isaiah Joe, Ayo Dosunmu, Tyrell Terry, Josh Green, Elijah Huges, Immanuel Quickley, Both Gach, TyShon Alexander, Saddiq Bey
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
LofJ
RealGM

Post#446 » by LofJ » Wed May 6, 2020 12:27 pm

This seems like the type of year that the Hornets would win the lottery. If we do who do y'all like at the top of the draft? Edwards, Wiseman, Ball, or someone else?
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#447 » by HornetJail » Wed May 6, 2020 12:38 pm

LofJ wrote:This seems like the type of year that the Hornets would win the lottery. If we do who do y'all like at the top of the draft? Edwards, Wiseman, Ball, or someone else?

hopefully not Ball. I think I'd be happy with Wiseman or Edwards though.

not gonna pretend I know a ton about these guys, I just know I don't want Ball.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
LofJ
RealGM

Post#448 » by LofJ » Wed May 6, 2020 1:29 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
LofJ wrote:This seems like the type of year that the Hornets would win the lottery. If we do who do y'all like at the top of the draft? Edwards, Wiseman, Ball, or someone else?

hopefully not Ball. I think I'd be happy with Wiseman or Edwards though.

not gonna pretend I know a ton about these guys, I just know I don't want Ball.

You have to believe in Ball's intangibles to draft him. Does he have the discipline to remake his shot, learn defensive schemes, and commit to playing winning basketball? I'm not sure he does, so I'd probably pass on him as well. His handle, passing, and rebounding are impressive though, so if you do believe in him there is a foundation to build upon.

Edwards has some of the same issues, but most importantly he doesn't need a jumpshot reconstruction. He just needs to attack the basket more and not settle for contested jumpers. He's not at Ball or Hayes' level as a playmaker, but he's good enough to not hurt his team. If we draft him we'll do so for his scoring and defensive potential. I believe in his commitment and ability to get better, so I'd be more comfortable taking him than I would Ball.

Wiseman is the guy with the highest ceiling of the three. He's the size of Whiteside only more agile and skilled. He has DPOY potential and I think he'll eventually be able to stretch the floor. That said though he's a big and it will take him a few years to develop the awareness he needs to be featured offensively. He's a play for the future more than Ball or Edwards, I'd be thrilled if we land him.

Wiseman is who I would take, but I'd strongly consider Edwards as well. Scoring power guards like him don't come around all that often.
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#449 » by UNCNYC » Thu May 7, 2020 1:10 pm

I think Isaiah Joe, Ayo Dosumnu, and Tyrell Terry are just as good of prospects this year as Halliburton, Edwards and Ball. We should look to trade back and pick up future picks.

We need to clean up in this draft

Here is Isaiah Joe showing his defense

Here is Joe showing his ability to create offense
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#450 » by 316Hornets » Mon May 18, 2020 2:17 am

The way things are going I think any player we get will be brought around more slowly than we are used to. With the likely decreased cap, it looks like we'll be in the running for another top pick next year. This is likely a good thing because it prevents ownership from making desperation trades when we are close to the 8th seed.

What this also means to me is that the project guys are going to be more desirable since we are not likely to be competing for playoffs next season. Guys like James Wiseman, Deni Avdija, and Lamelo Ball now have a higher value in my ranking due to their need for further development as opposed to older guys(> 20) or guys with limited upside.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#451 » by UNCNYC » Wed May 20, 2020 1:48 pm

I have so many players that I have become a fan of in this years draft. Some more than others but this is my latest. He lacks athleticism but he has GREAT court vision. I will do another list of who I want us to draft today or tomorrow and he will definitely be on it. I am a fan now

HIS NAME - uros trifunovic

UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#452 » by UNCNYC » Fri May 22, 2020 1:00 am

I like this kids game but we are kinda deep at PG already. He has good size and skill. He could be available late.

Tre Mann
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#453 » by UNCNYC » Fri May 22, 2020 12:57 pm

Ok guys my scouting is officially complete. I will post my WHO I WILL TAKE IF FELL TO US at 12 noon today. This is the LAST FIND that I think could be a steal late in the draft. His name is Karim Mane. He is Raw but he does have talent. Could be there later on.

A breakdown of his game. Starts at around the 50 second mark

A more complete video
;t=40s
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#454 » by UNCNYC » Fri May 22, 2020 4:05 pm

Hey guys this is my list of WHO I WOULD TAKE IF FELL TO US IN ORDER FROM BEST TO WORST.
I have removed Lamello Ball from the list. I have added some new names in there. Guys like Tre Mann, Uros Trifunovic,
Karim Mane.

I am torn between Isiah Joe, Ayo Dosunmu, Tyrell Terry, Tre Mann and Both Gach. I like ALL of those SG's a lot.

If you don't see names like Ball, Edwards Wiseman etc... That means I am not considering those players.

Overall I think I would trade back and try to add some future draft picks. but here-goes the list...

PICK 1 -
SG - Killian Hayes
SG - Leandro Bolmaro
PF - JaDen McDaniels
SG - Isaiah Joe
SG - Ayo Dosunmu

OUTSIDE LOOKING IN = SG-Tyrell Terry

PICK 2 -
SG - Tre Mann
SF - Josh Green
SG - Both Gach
SG - Uros Trifunovic
SF - Elijah Huges

OUTSIDE LOOKIN IN = SF - Saddiq Bey, PG-Devon Dotson, PG-Malachi Flynn, C-Jalen Smith, SG-Ty-Shon Alexander

PICK 3 -
SF - Malcolm Cazalon
PF - Trendon Watford
PF - Zeke Nnaji
SG - CJ Elleby
SF - Isaiah Mike

OUTSIDE LOOKING IN = SG-John Petty, PF-Jordan Nwora, SG-Karim Mane, SG-MaCio Teague, SG-AJ Lawson
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,822

Post#455 » by Diop » Fri May 22, 2020 7:12 pm

UNCNYC wrote:Ok guys my scouting is officially complete. I will post my WHO I WILL TAKE IF FELL TO US at 12 noon today. This is the LAST FIND that I think could be a steal late in the draft. His name is Karim Mane. He is Raw but he does have talent. Could be there later on.

A more complete video
;t=40s

i do like his explosive, aggressive drives to the basket
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#456 » by UNCNYC » Fri May 22, 2020 7:48 pm

Diop wrote:
UNCNYC wrote:Ok guys my scouting is officially complete. I will post my WHO I WILL TAKE IF FELL TO US at 12 noon today. This is the LAST FIND that I think could be a steal late in the draft. His name is Karim Mane. He is Raw but he does have talent. Could be there later on.

A more complete video
;t=40s

i do like his explosive, aggressive drives to the basket

Yeah he does have a lot of athleticism. This draft is so deep imo I BARELY have him ranked for our 3rd pick. I haven't seen him in any mocks either. I hope we trade back and acquire some future picks because it's too deep to just pick where we are. I rather us trade back to like the 15th pick and pick either McDaniels or Bolmaro (assuming Hayes is off the board by then).

I would be totally find with either McDaniels or Bolmaro with pick 1

and pick 2 - Joe, Dosunmu, Terry etc...
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#457 » by UNCNYC » Fri May 22, 2020 8:06 pm

This is what I would LOVE to happen on draft day.

We trade 10 pick for 15 and select Bolmaro and pick up a future 1st rounder.

Then pick 2 we pick up Jalen Smith or Zeke Nnaji

Then with the final pick we pick either Terry, Joe, Mann or Gach who could still be there

New lineup

Graham / Martin
Rozier / Joe or Terry or Gach or Mann
Bridges / Bolmaro / Martin
Washington / McDaneils
Zeller / Biz / Smith or Zeke

plus future 1st rounder

or get lucky and trade back and have Hayes still there. If we are lucky Bolmaro will still be there at pick #32. This would be best scenerio below...

Trade back to number 15 and pick McDaniels, Then have Balmoro fall to us at pick #32 and pick up best available with the final pick. and have a future first rounder thrown in.

Graham / Martin
Rozier / Joe or Mann or Terry or Goch
Bridges / Bolmaro / Martin
Washington / McDaniels / McDaneils
Biyombo / Zeller

and future first rounder
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#458 » by UNCNYC » Fri May 22, 2020 10:15 pm

Since my draft research is complete this is a list in order of all the players that I liked during my process of evaluating. As you can see the list is LONG lol. A player I MIGHT add before its all said and done is Feron Hunt. I really like his game. I compare Feron to Isaiah Mike. I actually think Feron could be better all around. I just need to re-evaluate him further. I also like Vit Krejci but I would not draft him.

PG -
A = Devon Dotson, Malachi Flynn, Remy Martin, Yam Mador
B = Kira Lewis Jr.

SG -
A = Killian Hayes, Isaiah Joe, Ayo Dosunmu, Tyrell Terry, Trey Mann, Both Gach, TyShon Alexander, Uros Trifunovic
B = Karim Mane, A.J Lawson, MaCio Teauge, John Petty, Vit Krejci, Jordan Tucker

SF -
A = Leandro Balmoro, Josh Green, Elijah Hughes, Saddiq Bey, Malcolm Cazalon, CJ Elleby, Isaiaha Mike
B = Lamar Stevens, Feron Hunt

PF -
A = JaDen McDaniels, Jordan Nwora, Trendon Watford
B = Jeremiah Robinson-Earl

C -
A = Jalen Smith, Zeke Nnaji, D.J. Funderburk, Udoka Azubukie
B =
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
bravor
Starter
And1: 736

Post#459 » by bravor » Sat May 23, 2020 5:01 pm

UNCNYC wrote:I have so many players that I have become a fan of in this years draft. Some more than others but this is my latest. He lacks athleticism but he has GREAT court vision. I will do another list of who I want us to draft today or tomorrow and he will definitely be on it. I am a fan now

His father is coach in Europe (even though the son is a better basketball than his dad a good coach so i assume this is where he developed his basket iq.
For having watched him and his serbian teammates (including their great frontcourt for this golden generation, Pecarski/Petrusev), he runs the floor really well and is a very willing passer, good on the pnr. He is decent in defense (at least in Europe against kids of his age..) but i am not sure he can become really reliable with his jumper (and sometimes he misses some 'cantmiss' lay up too). Not sure he has a high ceiling, despite his good size.
For me he is less talented than Satoranski who is merely seen as a role player here.

Better wait (couple of years, he is 17) for Ousmane Dieng, he could be really special if he develops well.
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#460 » by UNCNYC » Sat May 23, 2020 5:13 pm

bravor wrote:
UNCNYC wrote:I have so many players that I have become a fan of in this years draft. Some more than others but this is my latest. He lacks athleticism but he has GREAT court vision. I will do another list of who I want us to draft today or tomorrow and he will definitely be on it. I am a fan now

His father is coach in Europe (even though the son is a better basketball than his dad a good coach so i assume this is where he developed his basket iq.
For having watched him and his serbian teammates (including their great frontcourt for this golden generation, Pecarski/Petrusev), he runs the floor really well and is a very willing passer, good on the pnr. He is decent in defense (at least in Europe against kids of his age..) but i am not sure he can become really reliable with his jumper (and sometimes he misses some 'cantmiss' lay up too). Not sure he has a high ceiling, despite his good size.
For me he is less talented than Satoranski who is merely seen as a role player here.

Better wait (couple of years, he is 17) for Ousmane Dieng, he could be really special if he develops well.

Great info as usual on our talent around the globe bravor. I love talent from far away. I would draft an alien if I could lmao
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman

Return to Charlotte Hornets