Utah Pizza Guy Tells His Version Of Delivery To Michael Jordan On Eve Of 'Flu Game'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Utah Pizza Guy Tells His Version Of Delivery To Michael Jordan On Eve Of 'Flu Game' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue May 19, 2020 5:28 pm

The man who made the pizza Michael Jordan ate the night before Game 5 of the 1997 Finals has come forward to share his side of the story.

Craig Fite was working a new job as an assistant manager at the Pizza Hut in Park City, Utah when an order arrived from the Marriott. Fite lived in Utah, but was a huge Jordan fan and named his son after him.

“I had bets, wagers with everybody on the store with it,” Fite told “The Big Show” on 1280 The Zone in Salt Lake City.

Fite washed his hands and didn't let the cooks make the pizza.

“I will make the pizza because I don’t want any of you doing anything to it,” Fite said.

Jordan and his entourage said that five guys from a local pizza place showed up with the delivery and that caused concern about tampering.

“Five guys delivering one pizza?” Tim Grover said. “They’re all trying to look in. I take the pizza. I pay them. I put this pizza down. I say, ‘I’ve got a bad feeling about this pizza.’ ”

“I ate the pizza,” Jordan said. “All by myself. Nobody else ate the pizza. I wake up about 2:30 throwing up left and right … It really wasn’t the flu game. It was food poisoning.”

Fite disputed what was broadcast on ESPN.

“That’s a bunch of crap,” Fite said. “Sorry, we were five creepy looking guys that the guy felt threatened? I guess you have to sell your book but it really wasn’t that exciting.”

Fite says it was just himself and his delivery driver.

“There were two of us,” Fite said. “I didn’t even have that many people working [at the Pizza Hut].”

Fite was greeted at the door by Grover.

“‘Hey, can I at least say hi to Mike?’” Fite said he said. “I mean, why not? It’s my one shot. The door kind of opens up a little more. Mike is sitting at the chair, he’s playing cards or whatever, raises his hand and says, ‘Thanks man.’ The guy looks at me and shuts the door.”

Fite also confirmed that Jordan was in Park City at least until approximately 11 PM, which dispels the rumor that Jordan went to Las Vegas for a night of gambling and partying.

Via Dan Wetzel/Yahoo! Sports

oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Re: Utah Pizza Guy Tells His Version Of Delivery To Michael Jordan On Eve Of 'Flu Game' 

Post#2 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Tue May 19, 2020 9:34 pm

Maybe cigars and an entire pizza before the big game did him in.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
hippesthippo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,298

Re: Utah Pizza Guy Tells His Version Of Delivery To Michael Jordan On Eve Of 'Flu Game' 

Post#3 » by hippesthippo » Tue May 19, 2020 10:02 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:Maybe cigars and an entire pizza before the big game did him in.

Pre-Loading on carbs the night before a big event/meet is not an uncommon practice for athletes.

However, cigars do make me sick. But does Mike ever actually smoke them, or just chew on them?
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#4 » by IWishIWasHarden » Tue May 19, 2020 10:07 pm

5 people, 2 people . . . what's the difference when you're Michael Jordan?

Hilarious Jordan expected the pizza man to not be listening to this story.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,041

Post#5 » by robillionaire » Wed May 20, 2020 12:10 am

A dispute about a 23 year old Pizza Hut delivery, the sports story of the day I guess. Please come back soon NBA
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#6 » by Pennebaker » Wed May 20, 2020 12:25 am

Sure, blame it on the pizza guy. Just an everyday working class guy - let's smear his reputation.

I'm warning you guys - don't trust anything Jordan says. He tries to control his image more than the Kim dynasty in North Korea.

So MJ is likely hiding something with yet another BS story.

My theory is that he was either hungover or he wasn't actually sick at all.

At the time there were accusations that he was faking. Even myself as a Jordan fan watching as a kid, I thought he was selling it. I didn't say anything though. No one dared.
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,093

Post#7 » by Tron Carter » Wed May 20, 2020 12:35 am

Nobody would even know who the hell this guy is if he didn’t feel the need to open his trap. Acting as if Jordan called him out by name. Enjoy your 15 minutes
R.I.P Black Mamba
tihsad
Junior
And1: 158

Post#8 » by tihsad » Wed May 20, 2020 1:06 am

Pennebaker wrote:Sure, blame it on the pizza guy. Just an everyday working class guy - let's smear his reputation.

I'm warning you guys - don't trust anything Jordan says. He tries to control his image more than the Kim dynasty in North Korea.

At the time there were accusations that he was faking. Even myself as a Jordan fan watching as a kid, I thought he was selling it. I didn't say anything though. No one dared.

Don't worry, regardless of the number of pizza people involved, tin foil hat theorems, and quasi virtue shout outs to the "working people", Lebron is still a great player in conversation for the GOAT. Quit trying so hard - it's actually killing what you'd like to achieve (or who knows, maybe you're a troll looking to bump MJ).
The Rodzilla wrote:He has all the ingredients of a superstar, he banged the Madonna, he is in the movies, he is in the hall of fame, he grabs all the rebounds etc
Grew
Rookie
And1: 1,757

Post#9 » by Grew » Wed May 20, 2020 1:15 am

I've gotten food poisoning from pizza hut too. I'm goin with black jesus on this one.
Pipp33
Rookie
And1: 642

Post#10 » by Pipp33 » Wed May 20, 2020 2:03 am

Pennebaker wrote:Sure, blame it on the pizza guy. Just an everyday working class guy - let's smear his reputation.

At no stage was the Pizza place or guy named, so how the hell do we even know if this is the guy?

And who gives a toss either way??

Don't know what game you were watching, but sure as hell didn't look well to me
Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#11 » by karkinos » Wed May 20, 2020 3:21 am

11pm that's it?
he def still could have gone to vegas.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,719

Post#12 » by BoyzNTheHood » Wed May 20, 2020 4:03 am

The pizza guy's acting like it's impossible to under cook something even if you know what you're doing, or that certain ingredients could be past their expiry date (especially meat).
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
Plutonashfan
Analyst
And1: 3,124

Post#13 » by Plutonashfan » Wed May 20, 2020 6:17 am

wtf tin foil hat crap is this??
The Champ is HERE!!!
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#14 » by cheese318 » Wed May 20, 2020 7:38 am

BoyzNTheHood wrote:The pizza guy's acting like it's impossible to under cook something even if you know what you're doing, or that certain ingredients could be past their expiry date (especially meat).

Of course that’s an option with it actually just being bad food. But the story on Sunday night was it was done with intent which he is putting on record saying it’s not true. But again we don’t know if this is even the guy. I’d hope he wouldn’t lie about it but who knows.
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
ImaCLEFanNotLBJ
Ballboy
And1: 31

Post#15 » by ImaCLEFanNotLBJ » Wed May 20, 2020 9:27 am

This makes me feel better about myself. If eating a Pizza Hut at 11pm is good enough for MJ then maybe we have more in common than I thought.
oceanlife
Junior
And1: 727

Post#16 » by oceanlife » Wed May 20, 2020 2:16 pm

The truth is likely that Michael was heavily drinking the night before and had a massive hangover on "the flu game".
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#17 » by 12footrim » Wed May 20, 2020 3:19 pm

robillionaire wrote:A dispute about a 23 year old Pizza Hut delivery, the sports story of the day I guess. Please come back soon NBA

It's been talked about for years and understandably so as it's at the center of one of the biggest most iconic games in NBA history.

Jordan was obviously sick as hell but I personally don't believe it was food poisoning or a hangover. People get nasty vomit viruses all the time. It happens and I think that's pretty much the start and end of what happened here. No conspiracy's needed.

I don't believe a 35 year old grown man is going to get so hungover he looks like Jordan did the night before one of his biggest games in his career under any circumstance when it wasn't his first rodeo. He had dealt with the same pressures many times so there wasn't a reason or history to suggest that, and good god what a hangover are we talking if he's that drunk the next night.

Also the pizza food poisoning theory come on. What did they get an unexpected call at freaking Pizza Hut and just have rotten meat waiting for him , drugs or put feces on it? Get real he would have noticed a taste or smelled that IMO. We aren't talking about professionals here, we are talking about Pizza Hut employee's who had 30 minutes to get it done.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Bk68
Sophomore
And1: 10

Post#18 » by Bk68 » Wed May 20, 2020 3:54 pm

robillionaire wrote:A dispute about a 23 year old Pizza Hut delivery, the sports story of the day I guess. Please come back soon NBA

Word!!!!
castor777
Senior
And1: 110

Post#19 » by castor777 » Wed May 20, 2020 4:28 pm

Favorite part of that episode was right when he said it was food poisoning I had a flashback of having the worst food poisoning of my life in Salt Lake City. Ate at a KFC before catching a movie in the afternoon, then worked a night shift at work, and an hour or two into my shift I ran into the only bathroom we had on the first floor and vomited all over the place and even managed to get some on the ceiling. I don't relate it to being an SLC thing or someone intending to get another sick, just the bad luck you can face when you decide to eat crappy food. With Jordan it certainly makes for a better story that someone was out to get him, and that's possible since knowing the Bulls were staying at that hotel but still a bit unlikely since they wouldn't have put the order in Jordan or any players name. So either the pizza chain was willing to get anyone at the hotel sick as hell in hopes it was one of the Bulls or Jordan paid the price we all do once in awhile for eating a crappy meal before a crucial game.

Return to Wiretap Discussion