Why do people want to cancel rest of the season?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

chitownsalesmen
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,740

Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#1 » by chitownsalesmen » Fri May 22, 2020 9:13 am

So I understand that there is a safety concern with COVID, but what is with people on realgm that don't want basketball this season?

I can appreciate someone who lives with an at risk person not wanting to expose them self to such a viral load but why do posters here not want basketball to see NBA basketball return and I'm not hearing safety concerns mentioned.

My theory based on what I've seen is either people with agendas who don't certain players to achieve success or fans of the bottom of the barrel teams that are just jealous.

What do you guys think?
GhosDini
Junior
And1: 685

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#2 » by GhosDini » Fri May 22, 2020 9:45 am

Empty gyms, nuetral locations, a 3 month mid-season break, and an arbitrary playoff seeding is not NBA basketball.
Hellcrooner
Veteran
And1: 2,133

Post#3 » by Hellcrooner » Fri May 22, 2020 9:52 am

Because they want Lakers and Lebron to waste 1 year of their title window.
chitownsalesmen
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,740

Post#4 » by chitownsalesmen » Fri May 22, 2020 9:57 am

GhosDini wrote:Empty gyms, nuetral locations, a 3 month mid-season break, and an arbitrary playoff seeding is not NBA basketball.

How is it an arbitrary playoff seeding they will have played 70 games which is over 85% of the regular(regular season). Yeah its not a typical season but every team has to deal with the same conditions. Literally nothing you said is a good reason.
limbo
Veteran
And1: 2,677

Post#5 » by limbo » Fri May 22, 2020 9:59 am

Basically, if there's like a 0.5% chance of getting COVID it's not worth the risk for most people. They need a 100% guarantee that everything is safe to commit... which not only will not happen now, but likey won't happen until there's a vaccine out (that's been thoroughly tested). Not to mention there being a pretty widespread belief of a potential 2nd wave coming in less than half a year again... In that case, even having a 2021 season would be viewed as not safe by a lot of people...

So now there's basically two options out there... Barricade yourself in a bunker and wait until the whole mainstream tells you the virus has been eradicated or a vaccine has been develop. Or try and just live life (with certain precautions) and live with the results... Like, people still get in their cars and do all types of dangerous stuff in their day-to-day lives fully knowing the possibilites of every such action being potentially fatal...

I'm not here trying to tell anyone how to approach thr situation on a personal level. If someone wants to barricade themselves they have a right to do that, but at what point do we let people just live their livea, because it's obvious not doing that has a massive negative effect on society in every imaginable aspect...
TheRealKaboom
Sixth Man
And1: 1,716

Post#6 » by TheRealKaboom » Fri May 22, 2020 11:34 am

Fans of loser teams want the season the be cancelled. Winners want it to resume. That's why.
Birth of the Cool
Analyst
And1: 1,449

Post#7 » by Birth of the Cool » Fri May 22, 2020 11:48 am

My theory is that weird people don't understand that there's a worldwide pandemic going on that has infected over 1.5 million people and killed over 95,000 people in the USA alone (put that in perspective, that's as if 9/11 attacks happened 32 times since March...).

Also OP it's not even about effecting a person you live with that is an at-risk demographic. If that's your threshold for social distancing then you are pretty selfish. It's about not having mass gatherings that are a breeding ground to quickly spread Covid (multiplying effect).

What kind of messed up head do you have to have to think people don't want the NBA season to proceed because they don't want some other team or player to win a Championship or they are jealous...who thinks like that? Your paranoia is kicking in. Maybe, just maybe most healthy / normal thinking individuals just think in the big scheme of things NBA basketball, as much as we all love it, isn't that important considering the circumstances. Call me crazy!!
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM
And1: 5,695

Post#8 » by Benedict_Boozer » Fri May 22, 2020 11:49 am

Hellcrooner wrote:Because they want Lakers and Lebron to waste 1 year of their title window.

This - pretty obvious
BigtimeNBAfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,960

Post#9 » by BigtimeNBAfan » Fri May 22, 2020 12:22 pm

90% of them don't want Lebron to win another title. Maybe it is more than that. A long layoff is not a good enough reason to just flat out cancel the season.
BigtimeNBAfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,960

Post#10 » by BigtimeNBAfan » Fri May 22, 2020 12:24 pm

limbo wrote:Basically, if there's like a 0.5% chance of getting COVID it's not worth the risk for most people. They need a 100% guarantee that everything is safe to commit... which not only will not happen now, but likey won't happen until there's a vaccine out (that's been thoroughly tested). Not to mention there being a pretty widespread belief of a potential 2nd wave coming in less than half a year again... In that case, even having a 2021 season would be viewed as not safe by a lot of people...

So now there's basically two options out there... Barricade yourself in a bunker and wait until the whole mainstream tells you the virus has been eradicated or a vaccine has been develop. Or try and just live life (with certain precautions) and live with the results... Like, people still get in their cars and do all types of dangerous stuff in their day-to-day lives fully knowing the possibilites of every such action being potentially fatal...

I'm not here trying to tell anyone how to approach thr situation on a personal level. If someone wants to barricade themselves they have a right to do that, but at what point do we let people just live their livea, because it's obvious not doing that has a massive negative effect on society in every imaginable aspect...

Pretty much. Obviously we should take it seriously and take necessary precautions. Get good testing, socially distant and wear masks. Yet we can't just permanently shut down the world until a miracle cure that may or may not ever come arrives.
Side beard
Analyst
And1: 2,297

Post#11 » by Side beard » Fri May 22, 2020 12:24 pm

Health > meaningless fan entertainment
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#12 » by 12footrim » Fri May 22, 2020 12:29 pm

chitownsalesmen wrote:
GhosDini wrote:Empty gyms, nuetral locations, a 3 month mid-season break, and an arbitrary playoff seeding is not NBA basketball.

How is it an arbitrary playoff seeding they will have played 70 games which is over 85% of the regular(regular season). Yeah its not a typical season but every team has to deal with the same conditions. Literally nothing you said is a good reason.

Exactly.

Also if you can't pull this off you just as well cancel next season completely too because it sure as hell isn't happening. They need this controlled trial run if for nothing else as a contingency plan for next season and how to make it work. Do people really think everything is going back to normal in October with fans in the stands? This is going to be our new normal for a while.

Also all these people still want to be paid just like other American's going to work, at the end of the day it's a job and if you don't play the NBA doesn't make money and doesn't pay. This is a way to salvage at least a chunk of revenue and give the majority of the fans who are hungry for something, something.

The good thing with NBA players is they should be financially independent unlike most Americans and if they don't want to play or the risk is to much then I'm sure they could walk away and the NBA would probably even support that. It's really no different than the risk every other American is taking only everyone else pretty much has to, to pay the bills and eat and this work place is going to test and have medical personnel on site.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
TheRealKaboom
Sixth Man
And1: 1,716

Post#13 » by TheRealKaboom » Fri May 22, 2020 12:53 pm

Side beard wrote:Health > meaningless fan entertainment

Mental health or physical health?
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,569

Post#14 » by JayMKE » Fri May 22, 2020 12:56 pm

I think it's a minority opinion of fans on non-contending teams with nothing to play for anyways, there are few others that are especially fearful & want to shut down everything forever until there is some magical silver bullet vaccine that might never come. It would be better to play now in the summer than wait until fall/winter when it becomes flu season and respiratory viruses become much easier to spread.
FREE GIANNIS
BAMAFREAK
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,369

Post#15 » by BAMAFREAK » Fri May 22, 2020 1:05 pm

Politics
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,458

Post#16 » by dhsilv2 » Fri May 22, 2020 1:13 pm

This won't be NBA basketball dude. The players are out of shape. The teams have been away from each other for months now. Now you want to get rid of home court which makes seeding and the regular season even less valuable. It isn't like teams knew going in there would be less games like in 99 or 00 but the season came to an abrupt end and locked in weird seeding. Next you want to remove fans so the games won't feel normal at all (for players or fans).

So basically you want out of shape players, weird dead arenas, to completely dismiss the value of home court, and to now push the playoffs 2 months deeper into the summer.

I'm sorry but that's not the nba, that's not professional basketball.

Worse yet with fat nba players, odds are we'll see the worst playoffs ever in terms of injuries to key players.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,018

Post#17 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Fri May 22, 2020 1:21 pm

I'm hoping we are in a situation where in 2 months people will think it is weird we thought this was unsafe when the average american is back to 90% real-life and players are still quarantined in a Disney bubble.
mtron929
Head Coach
And1: 5,269

Post#18 » by mtron929 » Fri May 22, 2020 1:41 pm

I guess for me, I don't want to witness a potential trainwreck that would occur if couple of players get infected during the playoffs. Now, if there was a guarantee that none of the players will get the coronavirus, then sure restart the season. But who can guarantee this?
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#19 » by celticfan42487 » Fri May 22, 2020 1:41 pm

Because they understand basic science
gabri3l3
Junior
And1: 468

Post#20 » by gabri3l3 » Fri May 22, 2020 1:48 pm

Side beard wrote:Health > meaningless fan entertainment

yes the lockdown destroyed my mental health

Return to The General Board