Why do people want to cancel rest of the season?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,680

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#21 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Fri May 22, 2020 1:51 pm

Hellcrooner wrote:Because they want Lakers and Lebron to waste 1 year of their title window.

This sums it up for me.

Plus If the season starts up I assume its right to the playoffs which means the Cs play the sixers in the first round which means the Sixers beat the Celtics easily in 4 or 5 games.
*Insert witty signature here.*
twozeroMM
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,698

Post#22 » by twozeroMM » Fri May 22, 2020 1:52 pm

limbo wrote:Basically, if there's like a 0.5% chance of getting COVID it's not worth the risk for most people. They need a 100% guarantee that everything is safe to commit... which not only will not happen now, but likey won't happen until there's a vaccine out (that's been thoroughly tested). Not to mention there being a pretty widespread belief of a potential 2nd wave coming in less than half a year again... In that case, even having a 2021 season would be viewed as not safe by a lot of people...

So now there's basically two options out there... Barricade yourself in a bunker and wait until the whole mainstream tells you the virus has been eradicated or a vaccine has been develop. Or try and just live life (with certain precautions) and live with the results... Like, people still get in their cars and do all types of dangerous stuff in their day-to-day lives fully knowing the possibilites of every such action being potentially fatal...

I'm not here trying to tell anyone how to approach thr situation on a personal level. If someone wants to barricade themselves they have a right to do that, but at what point do we let people just live their livea, because it's obvious not doing that has a massive negative effect on society in every imaginable aspect...

The thing is, even outside of basketball, things wont be 100% for a long long time. They'll have to get comfortable with the idea of being uncomfortable around people. It'll also start to effect next season if this season gets canceled.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,894

Post#23 » by Damkac » Fri May 22, 2020 1:52 pm

Hellcrooner wrote:Because they want Lakers and Lebron to waste 1 year of their title window.

Yes, because everything is always about the Lakers.
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,680

Post#24 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Fri May 22, 2020 2:01 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:This won't be NBA basketball dude. The players are out of shape. The teams have been away from each other for months now. Now you want to get rid of home court which makes seeding and the regular season even less valuable. It isn't like teams knew going in there would be less games like in 99 or 00 but the season came to an abrupt end and locked in weird seeding. Next you want to remove fans so the games won't feel normal at all (for players or fans).

So basically you want out of shape players, weird dead arenas, to completely dismiss the value of home court, and to now push the playoffs 2 months deeper into the summer.

I'm sorry but that's not the nba, that's not professional basketball.

Worse yet with fat nba players, odds are we'll see the worst playoffs ever in terms of injuries to key players.

They are saying that there will be a 4-6 week training camp. So even if they get the green light say June 1st the first playoff game will be July 1st.

I do agree with the rest of your post though. Not that that it can be helped but whatever the NBA throws together will be a half assed half hearted playoffs that will resemble something close to a summer league game.
*Insert witty signature here.*
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,214

Post#25 » by dhsilv2 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:00 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:This won't be NBA basketball dude. The players are out of shape. The teams have been away from each other for months now. Now you want to get rid of home court which makes seeding and the regular season even less valuable. It isn't like teams knew going in there would be less games like in 99 or 00 but the season came to an abrupt end and locked in weird seeding. Next you want to remove fans so the games won't feel normal at all (for players or fans).

So basically you want out of shape players, weird dead arenas, to completely dismiss the value of home court, and to now push the playoffs 2 months deeper into the summer.

I'm sorry but that's not the nba, that's not professional basketball.

Worse yet with fat nba players, odds are we'll see the worst playoffs ever in terms of injuries to key players.

They are saying that there will be a 4-6 week training camp. So even if they get the green light say June 1st the first playoff game will be July 1st.

I do agree with the rest of your post though. Not that that it can be helped but whatever the NBA throws together will be a half assed half hearted playoffs that will resemble something close to a summer league game.

This vs having summer league, training camp, preseason, and then a season. Not to mention that normally players aren't without access to gyms and trainers (I'm sure some players have home gyms and their trainers still came over but I doubt everyone did). For the older guys the off season is a huge deal and critical in keeping them able to play. This is just going to be a mess, even with a month or so of prep time.

Mind you, would love to be wrong and this turns into the greatest playoffs we've ever seen. But odds are it'll be a mess and won't feel like we got a real playoffs anyway. Watch some random WTF team win the title with lebron, harden, giannis, and 10 other stars all injured.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#26 » by dhsilv2 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:01 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:

This sums it up for me.

Plus If the season starts up I assume its right to the playoffs which means the Cs play the sixers in the first round which means the Sixers beat the Celtics easily in 4 or 5 games.

I'm betting money embiid comes in 30 pounds over weight and cant play past 20 minutes a game :(
jg77
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#27 » by jg77 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:06 pm

I want it cancelled if continuing the season pushes next season even further out.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#28 » by dhsilv2 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:09 pm

jg77 wrote:I want it cancelled if continuing the season pushes next season even further out.

There's no assurance we'll have a next season either is the scary thing. The fear of a second wave is real, but I sure hope it's not close to as bad as they think.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Post#29 » by bondom34 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:11 pm

Health is generally most important. Oh and when a player gets sick (it almost certainly happens) in the middle of a playoff series and can't play it's going to be really interesting and awkward. We've got a distinct chance of having entire teams quarantine in the middle of a playoff or a major player getting sick.

Oh and again, health. Yeah IDC if the Lakers or whoever win, but health is more important than basketball.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 42,990

Post#30 » by DaGawd » Fri May 22, 2020 3:17 pm

bondom34 wrote:Health is generally most important. Oh and when a player gets sick (it almost certainly happens) in the middle of a playoff series and can't play it's going to be really interesting and awkward. We've got a distinct chance of having entire teams quarantine in the middle of a playoff or a major player getting sick.

Oh and again, health. Yeah IDC if the Lakers or whoever win, but health is more important than basketball.

This.. it's wild people are really trying to make this about whose rooting for a good team vs whose rooting for worse teams or who people don't want to see win.. I'd say it's mainly about health for those who don't want to see this season continue.. myself included
BaF
Washington Wizards
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Post#31 » by bondom34 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:25 pm

DaGawd wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Health is generally most important. Oh and when a player gets sick (it almost certainly happens) in the middle of a playoff series and can't play it's going to be really interesting and awkward. We've got a distinct chance of having entire teams quarantine in the middle of a playoff or a major player getting sick.

This.. it's wild people are really trying to make this about whose rooting for a good team vs whose rooting for worse teams or who people don't want to see win.. I'd say it's mainly about health for those who don't want to see this season continue.. myself included

Also I didn't add but if something does happen, all this does is really screw over next season. People saying not continuing makes less season less likely, but what if they try this and there's some outbreak? And by next season it is more under control? Then people are going to be super skeptical and we've lost a full season over it.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
jg77
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#32 » by jg77 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:30 pm

Wouldn't they at least have to test around 300 people or so? Players and coaching staff included. I don't think every test coming back negative is realistic.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,391

Post#33 » by SpreeChokeJob » Fri May 22, 2020 3:33 pm

Without the fans, it would seem like a scrimmage game. The excitement comes from the momentum of the crowd. We don’t watch for the play but the atmosphere of sports.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#34 » by dhsilv2 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:34 pm

bondom34 wrote:
DaGawd wrote:

Also I didn't add but if something does happen, all this does is really screw over next season. People saying not continuing makes less season less likely, but what if they try this and there's some outbreak? And by next season it is more under control? Then people are going to be super skeptical and we've lost a full season over it.

Everyone is so focused on the players who are extremely low risk, they forget the ages of a lot of coaches, refs, and others involved. Not everyone is under 40 and an elite athlete. If it were just the players, I think the health risks are small enough that this is a pretty minor thing.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,322

Post#35 » by Duke4life831 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:35 pm

jg77 wrote:Wouldn't they at least have to test around 300 people or so? Players and coaching staff included. I don't think every test coming back negative is realistic.

It will be a lot more than 300 people. For comparison for the first UFC event they had about 300 people to test once you included all the fighters, coaches, media and so on. I mean there are 400+ players on roster alone. Let alone the coaching staffs, the medical and training staffs for each team, the families of the players and so on. You're going to be looking at like 1000 people to test.
mtron929
Head Coach
And1: 5,267

Post#36 » by mtron929 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:41 pm

Pretty much agreed. Basketball is one of these endeavours where social distancing is pretty much impossible. Moreover, the NBA has an elongated playoff format such that there is so many games that needs to be played to determine the champion. On top of that, if there is even one player who comes down with the coronavirus, the whole structure will just collapse. The NBA will be put in a situation where if they proceed, they will be **** and if they stop, they will be ****.
ProcessDoctor
General Manager
And1: 5,155

Post#37 » by ProcessDoctor » Fri May 22, 2020 3:43 pm

chitownsalesmen wrote:So I understand that there is a safety concern with COVID, but what is with people on realgm that don't want basketball this season?

I can appreciate someone who lives with an at risk person not wanting to expose them self to such a viral load but why do posters here not want basketball to see NBA basketball return and I'm not hearing safety concerns mentioned.

My theory based on what I've seen is either people with agendas who don't certain players to achieve success or fans of the bottom of the barrel teams that are just jealous.

What do you guys think?

That should be reason enough. There is still a misconception that only some people are at risk. EVERYONE has a risk of acquiring it and getting very sick from it.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Council
Oubre/Batum/Martin
Harris/Covington/Wilson
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
ProcessDoctor
General Manager
And1: 5,155

Post#38 » by ProcessDoctor » Fri May 22, 2020 3:45 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:

This sums it up for me.

While I'd love for that to happen, don't underestimate our complete lack of identity :lol:
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Council
Oubre/Batum/Martin
Harris/Covington/Wilson
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,241

Post#39 » by sfernald » Fri May 22, 2020 3:48 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:

This sums it up for me.

While I'd love for that to happen, don't underestimate our complete lack of identity :lol:

Celtics need to be banned from the playoffs because they make people sick.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 55,447

Post#40 » by bisme37 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:59 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:

This sums it up for me.

Return to The General Board