Michael Jordan would really struggle against today's athletes

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Re: Michael Jordan would really struggle against today's athletes 

Post#81 » by Galloisdaman » Fri May 22, 2020 4:59 pm

Pennebaker wrote:
AussieCeltic wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:But you post a picture from the late 80's and he couldn't even beat the weak athletes from that era. How is he supposed to handle Kawhi Leonard when he couldn't even handle Joe Dumars?

Bruh. How could Lebron handle Dumars if he couldn't handle JJ Barea?

No. Jordan literally struggled against Dumars for years. Every year. Same problem over and over again. Jordan said Dumars was the best defender he's ever faced and the only one that checked him for an entire game.

Sometimes it would be better not to post this stuff because you are making Lebron stans look obsessed.

Head to Head match ups.

Jordan averaged 31.1 ppg- 6.5rpg-5.6apg
Dumars averaged 15.4ppg-1.9rpg-3.9apg
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,468

Post#82 » by Pelly24 » Fri May 22, 2020 5:19 pm

draftnightsuit wrote:
Eddy_JukeZ wrote:
draftnightsuit wrote:
There was absolutely no defense in the NBA in 1987. The pace was also faster back then.

Walter Davis averaged 24 PPG in 1987 LOL

MJ would have absolutely zero chance of touching 37 PPG today. He’d struggle to get to 30 PPG without a 3-point shot, which he never had.

The only time he was able to shoot was when they pushed in the 3-point line.

Giannis averages 30 pgg without a 3pt shot.

Just stop. You're embarrassing yourself.

The greatest scorer of all-time would have no problems averaging 30 ppg.

With the amount of switching that occurs in today's games, he'd destroy teams in isolation.

Giannis is 6’11” and has about 50 lbs of solid muscle on MJ. They have nothing in common.

Go ahead and name the SGs who are averaging 30 without a 3-point shot.

Russell Westbrook just averaged 31 ppg in 2016-2017 and he was a pretty unreliable shooter. He did shoot 34% from three that year, but MJ shot like 33% for his career and had playoff runs with the line not shortened where he shot 38% from three. MJ was just as quick as Westbrook but could move like DWade (shiftiness, body control) while maneuvering in mid-air like a 6'5" Kyrie Irving and he had footwork that was even better than Kobe's or as good (he taught Kobe afterall) and had Kawhi Leonard-sized hands and he shot in the high-40s from mid-range with the highest volume in the league.

With all of that in mind, I honestly don't see any way MJ doesn't average 30 a game unless he only plays 28 minutes a game. Again, DWade was a considerably worse shooter from midrange than MJ and averaged 30 on great efficiency as recently as 2009. Give him more spacing that version of DWade could do that now too.
audiosway
Junior
And1: 263

Post#83 » by audiosway » Fri May 22, 2020 5:36 pm

Pennebaker wrote:
AussieCeltic wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:
I'm going to guess that you're younger and you don't really know about what happened in the 80's?

This is what really happened. It really did.

And Lebron averaged 18 points in a finals series against JJ Barea. Does that diminish his other games?? I literally posted MJ's stats against Dumars.. Whichever way you cut it, 31/7/6 is not struggling

Still no. Look, LeBron played 43 minutes a game. Barea didn't even play half that and when he did play he mostly defended other guards. Barea was only on LeBron sporadically and he was an overall -24 in 6 games in general.

Marion was the primary guy assigned to LeBron, obviously. But even that is somewhat irrelevant because LeBron's statistics in that series had less to do with defense and more to do with confusion between him and Wade over roles.

In any case, Dumars vs Jordan were legendary, epic struggles, which saw Jordan ultimately on the losing end for 3 consecutive seasons.

Barea wasn't the problem. Jason Terry was. The JET called him out in the media then did this to him.

I watched Jordan's entire career. He never let anyone do "that" to him. Forget Lebron being the best ever. He's not even the best Laker ever.

In case you think that's a one off here is plenty more.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Post#84 » by ILOVEIT » Fri May 22, 2020 6:07 pm

LeBron as a defender is very average....but primarily because of the lack of effort on that side of the court. Can run down and block like noone before him. But ask him to chase through screens....eh.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Petergrifindor
Rookie
And1: 1,431

Post#85 » by Petergrifindor » Fri May 22, 2020 6:39 pm

draftnightsuit wrote:
Chevymana wrote:

This video says otherwise. What's crazy is, I don't know if there is an athlete in today's current NBA that can match this guy in terms of speed, quickness, agility, strength, coordination (take into account ALL of these elements). Remember, this is a video of a man playing over 30 yrs ago and still looks better than everybody we have today. PLEASE LOOK AT THIS OBJECTIVELY AND TAKE YOUR FEELINGS OUT OF IT!!! This guy would murder this current NBA.

He’d be like the 6th best athlete in today’s NBA.

bull

Today at MJ's level of athleticism, there is Giannis... and that's all.

If Lebron was in his prime, Lebron too.

After that, you have to go back to Shaq to find another specimen that special.
GordanFreeman
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,165

Post#86 » by GordanFreeman » Fri May 22, 2020 7:41 pm

Pennebaker wrote:
AussieCeltic wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:
I'm going to guess that you're younger and you don't really know about what happened in the 80's?

This is what really happened. It really did.

And Lebron averaged 18 points in a finals series against JJ Barea. Does that diminish his other games?? I literally posted MJ's stats against Dumars.. Whichever way you cut it, 31/7/6 is not struggling

Still no. Look, LeBron played 43 minutes a gWame. Barea didn't even play half that and when he did play he mostly defended other guards. Barea was only on LeBron sporadically and he was an overall -24 in 6 games in general.

Marion was the primary guy assigned to LeBron, obviously. But even that is somewhat irrelevant because LeBron's statistics in that series had less to do with defense and more to do with confusion between him and Wade over roles.

In any case, Dumars vs Jordan were legendary, epic struggles, which saw Jordan ultimately on the losing end for 3 consecutive seasons.

What a shameless b**** sheesh
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#87 » by Galloisdaman » Fri May 22, 2020 8:42 pm

Dumars himself would laugh at the notion that he shut Jordan down or dominated him. That is funny. The Pistons defense wasn't called the Dumar rules. They called it the Jordan rules because so much of their focus was on Jordan.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
Alize
Senior
And1: 283

Post#88 » by Alize » Fri May 22, 2020 9:15 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:LeBron as a defender is very average....but primarily because of the lack of effort on that side of the court. Can run down and block like noone before him. But ask him to chase through screens....eh.

Sent from my SM-G950F using RealGM mobile app
Drylick
Pro Prospect
And1: 274

Post#89 » by Drylick » Sat May 23, 2020 6:24 am

Pennebaker wrote:But you post a picture from the late 80's and he couldn't even beat the weak athletes from that era. How is he supposed to handle Kawhi Leonard when he couldn't even handle Joe Dumars?

Stop while you're only 2 feet deep.
Drylick
Pro Prospect
And1: 274

Post#90 » by Drylick » Sat May 23, 2020 6:24 am

Alize wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:LeBron as a defender is very average....but primarily because of the lack of effort on that side of the court. Can run down and block like noone before him. But ask him to chase through screens....eh.

You can laugh all you want but the take is true especially these past years.
Brooklyn_Ball33
Sophomore
And1: 194

Post#91 » by Brooklyn_Ball33 » Sat May 23, 2020 6:41 am

Pennebaker wrote:
The problem remains. MJ could jump out of the gym in 1988, sure, but he couldn't figure out Joe Dumars, who was the bane of his existence.

Jordan averaged like 40 ppg on 52+% FG over 10 meetings vs. Detroit and Dumars/Rodman in 1987 and 1988. That's why they devised the Jordan Rules afterwards. lol @ thinking that Dumars alone did anything to him. Dude was getting lit up before they decided to base an entire defense around Jordan with hard double and triple teams and dirty the game up.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,231

Post#92 » by monopoman » Sat May 23, 2020 7:12 am

It's hilarious when the big "black mark" on MJ is that he apparently struggled with the Bad Boy Pistons when really he just didn't have enough of a supporting cast to match them.

The Bulls were complete garbage when they drafted Jordan period, he took a team that had almost 0 success before he was drafted to the championship 6 times.
Alize
Senior

Post#93 » by Alize » Sat May 23, 2020 8:01 am

Dude, in the first sentence you talk about the team, that it was too bad to compete and then in the next sentence you say he turned them around from bad to 6 rings.
Hilarious.
monopoman wrote:It's hilarious when the big "black mark" on MJ is that he apparently struggled with the Bad Boy Pistons when really he just didn't have enough of a supporting cast to match them.

The Bulls were complete garbage when they drafted Jordan period, he took a team that had almost 0 success before he was drafted to the championship 6 times.

michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,792

Post#94 » by michaelm » Sat May 23, 2020 8:15 am

Alize wrote:Dude, in the first sentence you talk about the team, that it was too bad to compete and then in the next sentence you say he turned them around from bad to 6 rings.
Hilarious.
monopoman wrote:It's hilarious when the big "black mark" on MJ is that he apparently struggled with the Bad Boy Pistons when really he just didn't have enough of a supporting cast to match them.

Saint Lazarus
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,442

Post#95 » by Saint Lazarus » Sat May 23, 2020 8:18 am

Could Michael Jordan take on Conor McGregor in a street brawl though?
dorkestra wrote:Embiid is embarrassing the whole city of Philadelphia. Wake up you little bitch

The Comedian wrote:Saint Lazarus playing 4D chess right now.

This dude legit has other Celtics fans arguing with him :lol:
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,792

Post#96 » by michaelm » Sat May 23, 2020 8:21 am

Alize wrote:Dude, in the first sentence you talk about the team, that it was too bad to compete and then in the next sentence you say he turned them around from bad to 6 rings.
Hilarious.

What is completely ludicrous is to question MJ because he was a generational athlete 25 -30 years ago. There might be more high quality athletes these days with a bigger sport drawing from a larger talent pool with better talent identification and the employment of modern training methods, but generational athletes are generational athletes. As I implied earlier there are not 5 Shaqs or 5 Wilts running around out there currently, and I somehow don’t think we will be seeing someone with LeBron’s combination of size, athleticism and durability in every draft class going forward either even though he was drafted over 15 years ago now as well.
trueballer7
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,153

Post#97 » by trueballer7 » Sat May 23, 2020 11:53 am

michaelm wrote:
Hilarious.

What is completely ludicrous is to question MJ because he was a generational athlete 25 -30 years ago. There might be more high quality athletes these days with a bigger sport drawing from a larger talent pool with better talent identification and the employment of modern training methods, but generational athletes are generational athletes. As I implied earlier there are not 5 Shaqs or 5 Wilts running around out there currently, and I somehow don’t think we will be seeing someone with LeBron’s combination of size, athleticism and durability in every draft class going forward either even though he was drafted over 15 years ago now as well.

You know how they bring up 'evolution' but dont know what evolution is? With modern medicine, instead of survival of the fittest, we have survival of just about everybody. And then we have reproduction of those inferior genes. The pool is certainly larger, but the water inside is carse in terms of evolution. Which is why those 'quality' athletes fall appart left and right
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#98 » by 76ciology » Sat May 23, 2020 12:20 pm

We will never know.

What’s certain is the league is way talented than before. And MJ is the GOAT because of his accolades.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Alize
Senior

Post#99 » by Alize » Sat May 23, 2020 5:59 pm

Lol what, "quality that falls apart left and right" because of??
trueballer7 wrote:
michaelm wrote:
Hilarious.

You know how they bring up 'evolution' but dont know what evolution is? With modern medicine, instead of survival of the fittest, we have survival of just about everybody. And then we have reproduction of those inferior genes. The pool is certainly larger, but the water inside is carse in terms of evolution. Which is why those 'quality' athletes fall appart left and right

trueballer7
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,153

Post#100 » by trueballer7 » Sat May 23, 2020 7:47 pm

Alize wrote:Lol what, "quality that falls apart left and right" because of??
trueballer7 wrote:
michaelm wrote:What is completely ludicrous is to question MJ because he was a generational athlete 25 -30 years ago. There might be more high quality athletes these days with a bigger sport drawing from a larger talent pool with better talent identification and the employment of modern training methods, but generational athletes are generational athletes. As I implied earlier there are not 5 Shaqs or 5 Wilts running around out there currently, and I somehow don’t think we will be seeing someone with LeBron’s combination of size, athleticism and durability in every draft class going forward either even though he was drafted over 15 years ago now as well.

Lol what? Imao what? Lolz wow!

Return to The General Board