Why do people want to cancel rest of the season?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

NPZ
Analyst
And1: 2,505

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#81 » by NPZ » Sat May 23, 2020 8:38 am

PharmD wrote:We'd be getting pre-season level basketball played weirdly in silence. Players would not be in shape to play normal amount of minutes.

This coming from TWolf/KAT fan. You just laid out what you experience with the Wovles and KAT under NORMAL circumstances.
NPZ's Definitive Magic Johnson highlight reel

49, 50, 52, 53, 54, 72, 80, 82, 85, 87, 88, 00, 01, 02, 09, 10, 20
NPZ
Analyst
And1: 2,505

Post#82 » by NPZ » Sat May 23, 2020 8:43 am

Bornstellar wrote:
Ree4erMadness wrote:My first observation is that many people here aren't old enough to remember the '99 season.

The 99 season was played continuously once is started. It didn't start and then get held up for months in the middle of the season due to the lockout. Not even remotely comparable situations

And fans called that a weird season or an asterisk season for years afterward, and not just Laker fans. It took a long time before that season was accepted as a legit one. So be it if that's the fate of the team that wins this year.
NPZ's Definitive Magic Johnson highlight reel

49, 50, 52, 53, 54, 72, 80, 82, 85, 87, 88, 00, 01, 02, 09, 10, 20
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,377

Post#83 » by durden_tyler » Sat May 23, 2020 8:51 am

Hellcrooner wrote:Because they want Lakers and Lebron to waste 1 year of their title window.

Or they could also be Lakers fans not wanting to see the season play out because it could mean LeBron coming up short again and maybe choking against the Clippers or Bucks?
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
bamheat
Senior
And1: 1,152

Post#84 » by bamheat » Sat May 23, 2020 8:53 am

GhosDini wrote:Empty gyms, nuetral locations, a 3 month mid-season break, and an arbitrary playoff seeding is not NBA basketball.

Yeah and wearing masks, social distancing, and washing your hands 24/7 isnt normal either yet here we are. Everyones lives have changed, NBA is no different.
bamheat
Senior
And1: 1,152

Post#85 » by bamheat » Sat May 23, 2020 8:59 am

durden_tyler wrote:
Hellcrooner wrote:Because they want Lakers and Lebron to waste 1 year of their title window.

Or they could also be Lakers fans not wanting to see the season play out because it could mean LeBron coming up short again and maybe choking against the Clippers or Bucks?

Lebron has beaten every east coast team in a series the past 9 years while the Bucks havent even sniff the finals. Also Lebron is the most clutch playoff performer of all time....he finally had a decent team this year instead of trash. I'm sure laker fans would like to see the Lakers play...who the hell wants to waste a year as the #1 seed with the GOAT on your team?
GhosDini
Junior
And1: 685

Post#86 » by GhosDini » Sat May 23, 2020 9:02 am

bamheat wrote:
GhosDini wrote:Empty gyms, nuetral locations, a 3 month mid-season break, and an arbitrary playoff seeding is not NBA basketball.

Yeah and wearing masks, social distancing, and washing your hands 24/7 isnt normal either yet here we are. Everyones lives have changed, NBA is no different.

That's ridiculous. Its not the fact things have changed thats the problem. Its the fact that they've changed completely in the middle of the season. Makes much more sense to scrap this season and prepare for next season. If next season requires a bunch of change well at least teams and fans know that going in.
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 20,477

Post#87 » by AussieCeltic » Sat May 23, 2020 9:04 am

Considering a player has already lost his mum to this pandemic, it’s pretty obvious why.

Australia probably has been a world leader in response to this pandemic and I’m still shocked our football leagues are starting next week. If a second wave hits, the world economy is going to crash
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,201

Post#88 » by dhsilv2 » Sat May 23, 2020 9:17 am

NPZ wrote:
Bornstellar wrote:
Ree4erMadness wrote:My first observation is that many people here aren't old enough to remember the '99 season.

The 99 season was played continuously once is started. It didn't start and then get held up for months in the middle of the season due to the lockout. Not even remotely comparable situations

And fans called that a weird season or an asterisk season for years afterward, and not just Laker fans. It took a long time before that season was accepted as a legit one. So be it if that's the fate of the team that wins this year.

A few loud trolls does not make up all fans. Most of us accepted 99 just fine. Remember, nobody is going to call something a real season. You only hear from a vocal minority of people who like to put down everything they can.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,201

Post#89 » by dhsilv2 » Sat May 23, 2020 9:21 am

MikeM wrote:People want to pretend like their basketball connoisseurs or something but the second the NBA comes back they'd throw their grandma in a covid volcano to watch Giannis vs. Lebron.

Don't give me this BS about 3 months to prepare, 20K fans in the stands, etc. You could hand them the ball tomorrow and have an insanely watchable product. They've been playing ball their whole lives!

I want the nba, not a watchable product. I also don't want to see Lebron or Giannis getting hurt coming back out of shape (though those two might be the only two guys I can't imagine coming in out of shape).
Mind_Odyssey
Analyst
And1: 4,957

Post#90 » by Mind_Odyssey » Sat May 23, 2020 11:17 am

Why will this season have an asterisk? EVERY team is having to deal with this.

I only give an asterisk to a team that had some unfair competitive advantage.
BigtimeNBAfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,960

Post#91 » by BigtimeNBAfan » Sat May 23, 2020 11:19 am

bamheat wrote:
durden_tyler wrote:

Lebron has beaten every east coast team in a series the past 9 years while the Bucks havent even sniff the finals. Also Lebron is the most clutch playoff performer of all time....he finally had a decent team this year instead of trash. I'm sure laker fans would like to see the Lakers play...who the hell wants to waste a year as the #1 seed with the GOAT on your team?

Haha did he seriously say Lakers as the number 1 seed wouldn't want the playoffs to be played because "they might come up short"?

With that logic nobody should want to finish the season. The Bucks must be scared to play again since the Greek Freak has done nothing but come up short his whole career.
ProcessDoctor
General Manager
And1: 5,153

Post#92 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat May 23, 2020 1:55 pm

Mogspan wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:The NBA resuming the season is honestly a very sad thing. There are good and bad American stereotypes from around the world. This will fall into the 'bad' category. Putting lives at risk for the purpose of money and entertainment. Using medical resources that could help a community, but are instead being used to protect millionaires playing a game. I'm even more ashamed at the number of NBA players who came from less privileged communities that are basically saying "Well, sucks to suck. I want to play basketball."

You could also say it's sad that someone would use money to get guacamole on their burrito when they could have bought malaria nets instead. You and everyone else prioritizes comfort at the opportunity cost of saving others' lives. I think a safe return is feasible, and the potential societal morale boost in sports resuming could outweigh the drawbacks of several elite athletes getting the sniffles.

Yea guacamole = pandemic for sure.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Council
Oubre/Batum/Martin
Harris/Covington/Wilson
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
chitownsalesmen
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,740

Post#93 » by chitownsalesmen » Sat May 23, 2020 2:06 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
Mogspan wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:The NBA resuming the season is honestly a very sad thing. There are good and bad American stereotypes from around the world. This will fall into the 'bad' category. Putting lives at risk for the purpose of money and entertainment. Using medical resources that could help a community, but are instead being used to protect millionaires playing a game. I'm even more ashamed at the number of NBA players who came from less privileged communities that are basically saying "Well, sucks to suck. I want to play basketball."

You could also say it's sad that someone would use money to get guacamole on their burrito when they could have bought malaria nets instead. You and everyone else prioritizes comfort at the opportunity cost of saving others' lives. I think a safe return is feasible, and the potential societal morale boost in sports resuming could outweigh the drawbacks of several elite athletes getting the sniffles.

I don't blame you for strawmaning I wouldn't know how to get out of that corner you painted yourself into either.
ProcessDoctor
General Manager
And1: 5,153

Post#94 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat May 23, 2020 2:11 pm

chitownsalesmen wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:
Mogspan wrote:

I don't blame you for strawmaning I wouldn't know how to get out of that corner you painted yourself into either.

Sometimes analogies are so far off that you don’t have to explain why it’s absurd.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Council
Oubre/Batum/Martin
Harris/Covington/Wilson
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
chitownsalesmen
Lead Assistant

Post#95 » by chitownsalesmen » Sat May 23, 2020 2:39 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
chitownsalesmen wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:

Sometimes analogies are so far off that you don’t have to explain why it’s absurd.

Almost as bad as those stereotypes you are worried about.
chitownsalesmen
Lead Assistant

Post#96 » by chitownsalesmen » Sat May 23, 2020 2:40 pm

Mind_Odyssey wrote:Why will this season have an asterisk? EVERY team is having to deal with this.

Because some people are stuck to their political views more than their love for basketball.
otwok
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,327

Post#97 » by otwok » Sat May 23, 2020 2:48 pm

Mind_Odyssey wrote:Why will this season have an asterisk? EVERY team is having to deal with this.

Well some players have access to equipment while others don't. Example is those with gym equipment or basketball while under stay at home while others don't. Then there are reports of private practices when those are against guidelines.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,893

Post#98 » by HMFFL » Sat May 23, 2020 2:53 pm

otwok wrote:

Well some players have access to equipment while others don't. Example is those with gym equipment or basketball while under stay at home while others don't. Then there are reports of private practices when those are against guidelines.

Are you seriously going to make this about gym equipment? That's your argument as to why a team that wins the championship will have an asterisk.......

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,349

Post#99 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Sat May 23, 2020 3:07 pm

bamheat wrote:Lebron has beaten every east coast team in a series the past 9 years

False. LeBron wasn't in the playoffs last year.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
otwok
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,327

Post#100 » by otwok » Sat May 23, 2020 3:20 pm

HMFFL wrote:
otwok wrote:

Are you seriously going to make this about gym equipment? That's your argument as to why a team that wins the championship will have an asterisk.......

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
I personally don't care who wins this year, I have no horse in the race. I do see this argument and I could see it as valid. Access is a valid reason why one team or player means its not a fair field. Personally, I couldn't care less. If they start the season up, cool. If they cancel, cool. It's all entertainment.

Return to The General Board