Why do people want to cancel rest of the season?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#101 » by 12footrim » Sat May 23, 2020 3:22 pm

HMFFL wrote:
otwok wrote:
Mind_Odyssey wrote:Why will this season have an asterisk? EVERY team is having to deal with this.

I only give an asterisk to a team that had some unfair competitive advantage.
Well some players have access to equipment while others don't. Example is those with gym equipment or basketball while under stay at home while others don't. Then there are reports of private practices when those are against guidelines.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Are you seriously going to make this about gym equipment? That's your argument as to why a team that wins the championship will have an asterisk.......

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

No $hit. These are multi millionaires. If Giannis can't order a goal or some work out equipment off amazon or where ever and have it delievered to his house that's on him. I heard the coach of the mid major basketball university I went to talking about all his players finding places to practice and they were spread out all over the country. I have a hard time believing if NBA players wanted to find a hoop or a treadmill and some weights they couldn't or couldn't have them brought to them even.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,238

Post#102 » by SNPA » Sat May 23, 2020 3:22 pm

Mogspan wrote:I think a safe return is feasible, and the potential societal morale boost in sports resuming could outweigh the drawbacks of several elite athletes getting the sniffles.

This idea that they are only risking getting the sniffles is extra dumb.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/05/22/entertainment/nick-cordero-health-update/index.html

41. Blood clots. Lost his leg. Intensive care for weeks. Might not make it.

How many NBA players in the last few years have been like Bosh and diagnosed with some heart condition they didn’t know they had? Odds of all these guys not having some comorbidity is slim, and COVID hits some people harder than others and we do know why yet.

Also, COVID attacks the lungs. That can end an NBA career.

It’s risking more than the sniffles. Picture an NBA player in intensive care in a ventilator, with blood clots. That’s the risk. And that’s before we get to their families being at higher risk.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,194

Post#103 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat May 23, 2020 3:59 pm

chitownsalesmen wrote:
Mind_Odyssey wrote:Why will this season have an asterisk? EVERY team is having to deal with this.

Because some people are stuck to their political views more than their love for basketball.

Who are you, Michael Jordan? Quit acting like your passion for the game as a fan is bigger than what’s going on in the world right now.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Mind_Odyssey
Analyst
And1: 4,957

Post#104 » by Mind_Odyssey » Sat May 23, 2020 5:00 pm

otwok wrote:
HMFFL wrote:
otwok wrote:Well some players have access to equipment while others don't. Example is those with gym equipment or basketball while under stay at home while others don't. Then there are reports of private practices when those are against guidelines.

Are you seriously going to make this about gym equipment? That's your argument as to why a team that wins the championship will have an asterisk.......

I personally don't care who wins this year, I have no horse in the race. I do see this argument and I could see it as valid. Access is a valid reason why one team or player means its not a fair field. Personally, I couldn't care less. If they start the season up, cool. If they cancel, cool. It's all entertainment.

These guys are mega millionaires. I feel pretty confident that they can afford gym equipment.
MikeM
General Manager
And1: 9,878

Post#105 » by MikeM » Sat May 23, 2020 5:03 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
MikeM wrote:People want to pretend like their basketball connoisseurs or something but the second the NBA comes back they'd throw their grandma in a covid volcano to watch Giannis vs. Lebron.

Don't give me this BS about 3 months to prepare, 20K fans in the stands, etc. You could hand them the ball tomorrow and have an insanely watchable product. They've been playing ball their whole lives!

I want the nba, not a watchable product. I also don't want to see Lebron or Giannis getting hurt coming back out of shape (though those two might be the only two guys I can't imagine coming in out of shape).

Counter point: Players are tired and hurt all the time going into the playoffs. Now they're not.
otwok
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,327

Post#106 » by otwok » Sat May 23, 2020 5:26 pm

Mind_Odyssey wrote:
otwok wrote:
HMFFL wrote:

I personally don't care who wins this year, I have no horse in the race. I do see this argument and I could see it as valid. Access is a valid reason why one team or player means its not a fair field. Personally, I couldn't care less. If they start the season up, cool. If they cancel, cool. It's all entertainment.

These guys are mega millionaires. I feel pretty confident that they can afford gym equipment.
Maybe, maybe not. We have no idea what their expenses are. I would venture to say that 85% of the NBA players wouldn't be able to go a few months without a paycheck.

MikeM
General Manager
And1: 9,878

Post#107 » by MikeM » Sat May 23, 2020 5:42 pm

otwok wrote:
HMFFL wrote:
otwok wrote:Well some players have access to equipment while others don't. Example is those with gym equipment or basketball while under stay at home while others don't. Then there are reports of private practices when those are against guidelines.

There are teams that fly thousands of miles more than other teams, every NBA season.

It's crazy that the more people bring up all these "unfair" things, the more I think the pandemic actually makes things MORE fair. Neutral sites, same travel, same accommodations. Everything is the same for every team now.
chitownsalesmen
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,740

Post#108 » by chitownsalesmen » Sat May 23, 2020 5:43 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
chitownsalesmen wrote:

Because some people are stuck to their political views more than their love for basketball.

Who are you, Michael Jordan? Quit acting like your passion for the game as a fan is bigger than what’s going on in the world right now.

So your calling me the goat.

Nice.
otwok
Assistant Coach

Post#109 » by otwok » Sat May 23, 2020 5:48 pm

MikeM wrote:
otwok wrote:
HMFFL wrote:

There are teams that fly thousands of miles more than other teams, every NBA season.

It's crazy that the more people bring up all these "unfair" things, the more I think the pandemic actually makes things MORE fair. Neutral sites, same travel, same accommodations. Everything is the same for every team now.
Sure that's fair. But your argument isn't more valid than theirs.

Quite honesty I think the idea of people concerned about some imaginary asterisk is crazy. Who cares what others say, if the season continues whoever wins, 20 years from now will be seen as champions regardless.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,008

Post#110 » by HMFFL » Sat May 23, 2020 5:49 pm

otwok wrote:
HMFFL wrote:

I understand.
Thankfully, teams shipped equipment to many of the players. I believe going forward more players will look to have home gyms and not splurge in other areas. Let's face it, some can afford to have the gyms, and some not as much under their lifestyles.

chitownsalesmen
Lead Assistant

Post#111 » by chitownsalesmen » Sat May 23, 2020 5:59 pm

otwok wrote:
MikeM wrote:
otwok wrote:I personally don't care who wins this year, I have no horse in the race. I do see this argument and I could see it as valid. Access is a valid reason why one team or player means its not a fair field. Personally, I couldn't care less. If they start the season up, cool. If they cancel, cool. It's all entertainment.

Quite honesty I think the idea of people concerned about some imaginary asterisk is crazy. Who cares what others say, if the season continues whoever wins, 20 years from now will be seen as champions regardless.

Thats not how any of this works. People are saying that the suspension of the season invalidates the season and its eventual champion which is ridiculous and clearly the whole point of this thread which was to draw out all these stupid ideas which have all been shuttered. The burden of proof is on the side saying the season will be asterisked when theirs really no good reason for it.

Now of course I'm speaking outside of safety concerns, if people wanted to not have the season happen due to safety thats another thing entirely that no one really has concretion answers to at this point as to what exactly is and will be safe, and for the most part its a personal choice as to how much risk that person is willing to take.
otwok
Assistant Coach

Post#112 » by otwok » Sat May 23, 2020 6:14 pm

chitownsalesmen wrote:
otwok wrote:
MikeM wrote:

Thats not how any of this works. People are saying that the suspension of the season invalidates the season and its eventual champion which is ridiculous and clearly the whole point of this thread which was to draw out all these stupid ideas which have all been shuttered. The burden of proof is on the side saying the season will be asterisked when theirs really no good reason for it.

Now of course I'm speaking outside of safety concerns, if people wanted to not have the season happen due to safety thats another thing entirely that no one really has concretion answers to at this point as to what exactly is and will be safe, and for the most part its a personal choice as to how much risk that person is willing to take.
Yea and who are these people? A bunch of nobodies on a message board posting nonsense. Why does it bother you? Sure they'll talk about it for a few years afterwards nobody will care. They did the same in 99 with the spurs when shaq called them asterisk champions. What does it matter.

The season hasn't even started up again so we don't even know what the results will be. So what does it really matter. The idea of asterisk championships is just talk to get under people's skins

chitownsalesmen
Lead Assistant

Post#113 » by chitownsalesmen » Sat May 23, 2020 6:20 pm

otwok wrote:
chitownsalesmen wrote:
otwok wrote:Sure that's fair. But your argument isn't more valid than theirs.

Yea and who are these people? A bunch of nobodies on a message board posting nonsense. Why does it bother you? Sure they'll talk about it for a few years afterwards nobody will care. They did the same in 99 with the spurs when shaq called them asterisk champions. What does it matter.

The season hasn't even started up again so we don't even know what the results will be. So what does it really matter. The idea of asterisk championships is just talk to get under people's skins

I mean if you don't want to have the conversation no one is forcing you to be at your keyboard.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,350

Post#114 » by Nuntius » Sat May 23, 2020 7:08 pm

chitownsalesmen wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:
Mogspan wrote:
You could also say it's sad that someone would use money to get guacamole on their burrito when they could have bought malaria nets instead. You and everyone else prioritizes comfort at the opportunity cost of saving others' lives. I think a safe return is feasible, and the potential societal morale boost in sports resuming could outweigh the drawbacks of several elite athletes getting the sniffles.

Yea guacamole = pandemic for sure.

I don't blame you for strawmaning I wouldn't know how to get out of that corner you painted yourself into either.

What are you talking about? Mogspan's post was a complete whataboutism and he responded to it in kind.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#115 » by Nuntius » Sat May 23, 2020 7:15 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
chitownsalesmen wrote:

What's even slimier is that he's trying to make it about politics. Pandemics aren't about politics. The virus itself doesn't give a crap about what you believe in. The countries that have realized that and have put their political differences aside on this topic have generally done a good job at fighting it.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
NY 567
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,437

Post#116 » by NY 567 » Sat May 23, 2020 7:25 pm

Because people want to live in fear. Life doesn't come without any risk. In all honestly, this has been relatively tame compared to what could have been. What do we do now, shut down every time something bad happens? Do people realize the insane precedent that creates? That's also a whole lot of power to give to your government. It would be pretty easy and tempting to abuse that power. At some point, you have to put on your big boy pants and move on with your lives. I agreed with a short term shutdown to flatten the curve and better understand what we were up against, but we've gone too far now. Two months and counting, and most of our political class doesn't seem to have any intention of restoring normalcy.
chitownsalesmen
Lead Assistant

Post#117 » by chitownsalesmen » Sat May 23, 2020 7:47 pm

Nuntius wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:
chitownsalesmen wrote:

What's even slimier is that he's trying to make it about politics. Pandemics aren't about politics. The virus itself doesn't give a crap about what you believe in. The countries that have realized that and have put their political differences aside on this topic have generally done a good job at fighting it.

What are you talking about? Are you not paying attention to how this has been covered? This entire pandemic has been politicized, on both sides, I'm very liberal I campaigned for Bernie Sanders in 2016 + 2020 and I can see people on the left clearly leveraging this to hate republicans + trump get real dude.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#118 » by Nuntius » Sat May 23, 2020 7:57 pm

chitownsalesmen wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:

What are you talking about? Are you not paying attention to how this has been covered? This entire pandemic has been politicized, on both sides, I'm very liberal I campaigned for Bernie Sanders in 2016 + 2020 and I can see people on the left clearly leveraging this to hate republicans + trump get real dude.

Yes and what I'm saying is that it is **** up that you managed to politicize this situation. Pandemics shouldn't be politicized and not every country in the world has politicized like the US (some definitely have, the US isn't alone in this, but they aren't the majority).
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,247

Post#119 » by xdrta+ » Sat May 23, 2020 8:14 pm

Nuntius wrote:
chitownsalesmen wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

Yes and what I'm saying is that it is **** up that you managed to politicize this situation. Pandemics shouldn't be politicized and not every country in the world has politicized like the US (some definitely have, the US isn't alone in this, but they aren't the majority).

So pointing out how the Administration bungled the situation, and how many lives could have been saved by not denying it was happening, and putting precautions in place earlier, is politicizing it? Pointing out that Trump continues to lie about the current status is politicizing? Actually, it's merely describing reality.
chitownsalesmen
Lead Assistant

Post#120 » by chitownsalesmen » Sat May 23, 2020 8:16 pm

Nuntius wrote:
chitownsalesmen wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

I'm just calling a spade a spade. I said in the OP I understand having health concerns for example someone who lives with an at risk family member or other health concerns for wanting to not have the season. That is not the type of response I have an issue with at all.

I'm a liberal, and as a liberal I've started to notice this problem with people of the liberal side of the aisle that have some unrelenting need to constantly out lib other liberals. People who are acting like by the NBA starting to plan to reopen the season are literally taking N95 masks off of health care workers, or otherwise squandering resources that would be going to people who need them all because their a big bad corporation and the current meta is thinking this country should remained sheltered indefinitely.

What I'm saying is f**k trump, **** the grandstanding of the dems, I want basketball and theirs really no good reason to not have the season, especially given the amount of precautions the NBA is likely to take. Yet here we are 6 pages deep and not one legit point has been made that justifies not having the season just a bunch of poor mouthing of how terrible america/the nba is treating restarting and reopening.

And understand this is coming from some who isn't afraid to self identify as a socialist in a room full of trump supporters. I'm just calling out bs on sight regardless of whose **** it is.

Return to The General Board