5 game $hit$how

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Sactowndog
Kings Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 1,709

Re: 5 game $hit$how 

Post#21 » by Sactowndog » Sat May 23, 2020 5:06 pm

NBA considering per Shams replacing the first round with a soccer style group stage. That would be interesting, I wonder how they would do that.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,492

Post#22 » by bisme37 » Sat May 23, 2020 5:08 pm

I think the best reason for having a few more regular season games is the same reason there are preseason games. No one wants to watch an entire first round of the playoffs where guys are fat and rusty and stuck in mud. Having teams play a few games before the playoffs will help guys get in shape and in rhythm so the playoffs are a better product.
Jayt99
Rookie
And1: 1,552

Post#23 » by Jayt99 » Sat May 23, 2020 5:12 pm

Sactowndog wrote:
Jayt99 wrote:Wouldn't mind a play-in series between teams 7 to 10

Who is 10 in the west? New Orleans and Sacramento are tied.

Guess Head to head would decide who gets the spot
Sactowndog

Post#24 » by Sactowndog » Sat May 23, 2020 5:13 pm

Jayt99 wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:

Guess Head to head would decide who gets the spot

Given only 1 game was played not sure best measure
Sactowndog

Post#25 » by Sactowndog » Sat May 23, 2020 5:18 pm

Group stage model:

or group stage that replaces first round of playoffs and all participating in groups (each team plays two games against each group opponent and top two teams from each group advances to traditional second round).

The traditional second round has 4 teams per conference so that must mean two groups of what size? The group stage would seem better in front of a first stage.

So that means two groups of
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,936

Post#26 » by Anticon » Sat May 23, 2020 5:32 pm

Sactowndog wrote:
Anticon wrote:It seems ridiculous that teams will be forced to come back to play 5 games. Just finalize playoff seedings and let everyone else regroup.

I agree but owners and players don’t want to lose the money. So we get a 5-7 game summer league that will impact draft standings way more than play-off chances.

In an ideal world the Kings starting lineup would be

PG: Kyle Guy
SG: DaQuan Jeffries
SF: Justin James
PF: Jabari Parker
C: Alex Len

Lmao what a waste of time.

I can understand taking the risk for the overall resumption of the season, but to force teams to reconvene, quarantine for two weeks then have a training camp to play five pointless games? Totally ridiculous.

Even without Covid that would be a silly use of resources. Just pay off tv providers for the remaining games and develop some modified format for the playoff teams.
Sactowndog

Post#27 » by Sactowndog » Sat May 23, 2020 6:45 pm

Anticon wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:
Anticon wrote:It seems ridiculous that teams will be forced to come back to play 5 games. Just finalize playoff seedings and let everyone else regroup.

I agree but owners and players don’t want to lose the money. So we get a 5-7 game summer league that will impact draft standings way more than play-off chances.

In an ideal world the Kings starting lineup would be

PG: Kyle Guy
SG: DaQuan Jeffries
SF: Justin James
PF: Jabari Parker
C: Alex Len

Lmao what a waste of time.

I can understand taking the risk for the overall resumption of the season, but to force teams to reconvene, quarantine for two weeks then have a training camp to play five pointless games? Totally ridiculous.

Even without Covid that would be a silly use of resources. Just pay off tv providers for the remaining games and develop some modified format for the playoff teams.

Yeah from the article Shams posted it seems like the NBA is coming to the same conclusion. I would see a 6 or eight team mini tournament for the last seed or better the last two seeds. But I think just going to the playoffs might be best.
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,290

Post#28 » by CIN-C-STAR » Sat May 23, 2020 7:01 pm

Yeah making teams comeback that have no shot at a playoff spot is foolish.
First off, those games won't be interesting at all. No one wants to see Chicago play Golden State, or Golden State get trucked by Milwaukee, etc.
Second off, what if one of the players on a terrible team brings the coronavirus? The more players and staff you have interacting, the higher the chance of the disease getting spread. Is it really worth the risk?
I can't see the tv partners busting balls about 5 games in the current situation we are in. Offer a single-elimination play-in tourny or something like that in exchange, which will surely get MUCH higher ratings than 5 mostly-meaningless regular season games, and I bet the tv partners would be willing to make that trade.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,243

Post#29 » by itrsteve » Sun May 24, 2020 2:18 pm

Sactowndog wrote:

The point with the 10 spot is that with 5 games remaining, nearly every team has a shot at making it into that 7-10 tournament (except MIN and GSW). Sure, it may take a miracle for some, but it would place a lot of meaning in those five games for the bottom feeders.

This is a hell of a time to test out the 7-10 play-in idea to see how it would work for future seasons. Not saying your proposal wasn’t good, but it’s catered to this single scenario.
sule
RealGM
And1: 34,205

Post#30 » by sule » Sun May 24, 2020 2:42 pm

If my team is out of it, or I'm a pending free agent, what motivation is there for me to put myself in harms way?

In such a situation, I expect quite a few players to stay home (and rightfully so).

i think it's irresponsible of the NBA to try this.
Wolf of Ball St
Junior
And1: 519

Post#31 » by Wolf of Ball St » Sun May 24, 2020 3:10 pm

sule wrote:If my team is out of it, or I'm a pending free agent, what motivation is there for me to put myself in harms way?

In such a situation, I expect quite a few players to stay home (and rightfully so).

i think it's irresponsible of the NBA to try this.

I agree. Whatever plan is agreed upon, there are still going to be some flaws.

If all teams come back to complete a 70-game regular season (essentially a reboot of the preseason), teams out of contention will have g-league style lineups. No Beal, Young, Towns, Booker...even Zion and Lillard are probably out with chances of making up 3.5 games in 5 nearly impossible.

If you go straight into the playoffs, those first round series are going to be rough. And we’ll probably see some upsets we otherwise wouldn’t see.

If you switch it up and implement some sort of play in tourney, how does that effect draft odds?

I haven’t done enough research on the timing of completing a full 82 game schedule. Would the playoffs have to be condensed to 5 game series for the first / first and second rounds?

Lots of questions yet to be answered. And whatever answer comes of this, there will be flaws.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,022

Post#32 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Sun May 24, 2020 3:21 pm

HMFFL wrote:
If only TV contracts worked like that.
Playoff bound teams probably prefer a few games before they begin the postseason. Conditioning will be an issue for some players.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

I'm just surprised ESPN doesn't cut a deal. Instead of a crappy five game schedule that will water down enthusiasm, accept a play in tourney of meaningful games with guys like Zion being highlighted.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,547

Post#33 » by Duke4life831 » Sun May 24, 2020 4:17 pm

They're going to have to get creative or you're going to get a lot of "injuries" that occurred over the break for every team that isn't already seeded 1-8. Use the Pels for example, you're 3.5 games out and just 5 games isn't worth trying to make that gap. Why risk something happening to Zion that might effect next season. I wouldn't be shocked if Zion "tweaked a hamstring" and doesn't go to Orlando.
Sactowndog

Post#34 » by Sactowndog » Sun May 24, 2020 11:18 pm

itrsteve wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:

The point with the 10 spot is that with 5 games remaining, nearly every team has a shot at making it into that 7-10 tournament (except MIN and GSW). Sure, it may take a miracle for some, but it would place a lot of meaning in those five games for the bottom feeders.

This is a hell of a time to test out the 7-10 play-in idea to see how it would work for future seasons. Not saying your proposal wasn’t good, but it’s catered to this single scenario.

Oh interesting. I hadn’t considered a 5 game mini to get into a 7-10 play-in game. That idea definitely has merit and isn’t the 5 game and go home model that would be the **** show I mentioned.
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,243

Post#35 » by itrsteve » Sun May 24, 2020 11:26 pm

Sactowndog wrote:
itrsteve wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:

Oh interesting. I hadn’t considered a 5 game mini to get into a 7-10 play-in game. That idea definitely has merit and isn’t the 5 game and go home model that would be the **** show I mentioned.

Clarification: since they're rumoring 5 regular season games to meet the contractual minimums, those five games would be near useless to almost everybody. However, if there was a 7-10 play-in for the final two seeds, then things could get interesting and at least put a little bit of meaning to them or at least give a few teams home/justification to actually attend & workout.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,576

Post#36 » by JayMKE » Sun May 24, 2020 11:54 pm

They should just start the playoffs now, it's the most logical thing to do given that the standing are unlikely to change much. Far less disruption bringing in 16 teams instead of 30.
FREE GIANNIS

Return to The General Board