ImageImageImage

Paul Pierce clutchness

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,902

Paul Pierce clutchness 

Post#1 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon May 18, 2020 4:43 pm

Look who's been involved in the most buzzer beaters in NBA history :

https://hoopshype.com/2020/05/14/paul-pierce-has-been-involved-in-more-buzzer-beaters-than-any-other-player-ever/

Yeah, you guessed right.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,621

Re: Paul Pierce clutchness 

Post#2 » by Green89 » Mon May 18, 2020 4:53 pm

Nice. I wonder if they included playoffs? Funny that no one in the top 5 has more than one assist. They were all guys who only wanted to take the final shot themselves. Pierce was the true team player with a whopping five assists on game winners!
neno
Rookie
And1: 918

Post#3 » by neno » Mon May 18, 2020 10:40 pm

Green89 wrote:Nice. I wonder if hey included playoffs? Funny that no one in the top 5 has more than one assist. They were all guys who only wanted to take the final shot themselves. Pierce was the true team player with a whopping five assists on game winners!

Ain't that the Truth
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Post#4 » by Captain_Caveman » Tue May 19, 2020 2:49 am

I believe that Pierce once led the NBA in game-winning assists over a 10-year period.
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,002

Post#5 » by exculpatory » Tue May 19, 2020 12:39 pm

Truuuuuuth
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,461

Post#6 » by celtxman » Tue May 19, 2020 5:18 pm

Paul Pierce had always been just flat underrated, including by some on this board. His clutchness wasn't just in game winning shots, it went all the way back to him winning games with clutch rebounds or keeping weak teams in games and playoff hunts that had no business being there. What was memorable was that 2006/07 team stumbling through 18 straight losses with him out. Then he came back at 75% and pudgy, and they quickly realized they were going to win too many games for the Durant/Oden lottery so they sat him down.
Game 7 of the ECF semi-finals against Lebron and the Cavs the championship year is required watching for a young player who wants to learn what clutch is.
The article is no surprise
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
exculpatory
RealGM

Post#7 » by exculpatory » Tue May 19, 2020 5:24 pm

celtxman wrote:Paul Pierce has always been just flat underrated, including by some on this board! His clutchness wasn't just in game winning shots, it went all the way back to him winning games with clutch rebounds or keeping weak teams in games and playoff hunts that had no business being there. What was memorable was that 2006/07 team stumbling through 18 straight losses with him out. Then he came back at 75% and pudgy, and they quickly realized they were going to win too many games for the Durant/Oden lottery so they sat him down.
Game 7 of the ECF semi-finals against Lebron and the Cavs the championship year is required watching for a young player who wants to learn what clutch is.

I have posted this 1 quadrillion times in the last 16 years!
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
celtxman
Analyst

Post#8 » by celtxman » Wed May 20, 2020 1:01 pm

exculpatory wrote:
celtxman wrote:Paul Pierce has always been just flat underrated, including by some on this board! His clutchness wasn't just in game winning shots, it went all the way back to him winning games with clutch rebounds or keeping weak teams in games and playoff hunts that had no business being there. What was memorable was that 2006/07 team stumbling through 18 straight losses with him out. Then he came back at 75% and pudgy, and they quickly realized they were going to win too many games for the Durant/Oden lottery so they sat him down.

I'm glad that this story got out, but sorry that anyone would need this to validate how great he was. I've posted many times myself about this topic
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Post#9 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu May 21, 2020 3:41 am

The other thing is that Pierce was a great defender in final-shot situations and the like. I recall him stopping prime TMac. I recall him stopping old Jordan.

For a while, crunch-time stats were sponsored by Nestle. One the one hand, I think they included stops. On the other hand, I think it was before defensive stats were that rich. So obviously, some aspect of my memory is incorrect. :)
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,534

Post#10 » by KGtabake » Thu May 21, 2020 9:23 am

Irrelevant but he must leave ESPN asap.
Getting tired of defending his takes on GB every once in a while.
People love to hate him whatever he says. He's not doing himself any favors tho.
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
exculpatory
RealGM

Post#11 » by exculpatory » Thu May 21, 2020 5:59 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
1. The other thing is that Pierce was a great defender in final-shot situations and the like. I recall him stopping prime TMac. I recall him stopping old Jordan.

2. Otherwise, most aspects of my memory are incorrect. :)

1. Absolutely true.
2. True. :D
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#12 » by 3D Chess » Thu May 21, 2020 6:07 pm

exculpatory wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:
1. The other thing is that Pierce was a great defender in final-shot situations and the like. I recall him stopping prime TMac. I recall him stopping old Jordan.

2. Otherwise, most aspects of my memory are incorrect. :)

1. Absolutely true.
2. True. :D

Ex, you are required in the Game of Zones thread.
ConnorHenry
Senior
And1: 194

Post#13 » by ConnorHenry » Thu May 21, 2020 7:43 pm

Truth had ice in his veins. Just watch a highlight reel of 2008. I think why he doesn't get the accolades he deserves is half of his career was on mostly bad teams, and then he finished with teams (Nets, Clips) that didn't give him much of a chance to be clutch.

He's gotta go down as a member of an elite few who you'd want to have the ball at the end of a game with the outcome on the line.

And Truth played LeBron tough:

[tweet]

Read on Twitter

[/tweet]
My name's Henry Connor.
Conner Henry was a Celtic.
Hence the pun.
Big Joke Line
Sixth Man
And1: 1,692

Post#14 » by Big Joke Line » Fri May 22, 2020 2:48 am

celtxman wrote:
exculpatory wrote:

I'm glad that this story got out, but sorry that anyone would need this to validate how great he was. I've posted many times myself about this topic

Was there a story? I couldn’t navigate past the first slide.
Hey Man, nice shot!
La Flame
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,105

Post#15 » by La Flame » Mon May 25, 2020 10:48 am

ConnorHenry wrote:Truth had ice in his veins. Just watch a highlight reel of 2008. I think why he doesn't get the accolades he deserves is half of his career was on mostly bad teams, and then he finished with teams (Nets, Clips) that didn't give him much of a chance to be clutch.

He's gotta go down as a member of an elite few who you'd want to have the ball at the end of a game with the outcome on the line.

And Truth played LeBron tough:

[tweet]

Read on Twitter

[/tweet]

He had plenty of clutch moments with the Nets and Wizards, mostly on the Raps lol
La Flame
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,105

Post#16 » by La Flame » Mon May 25, 2020 10:53 am

celtxman
Analyst

Post#17 » by celtxman » Tue May 26, 2020 12:27 am

Big Joke Line wrote:
celtxman wrote:
exculpatory wrote:

Was there a story? I couldn’t navigate past the first slide.
the story objectively tells that Pierce has been involved in more buzzer beater plays, be it passing or scoring himself, at the end of the game than any player ever including Jordan,Lebron and Kobe.
From the Hoopshype article

If you combine baskets and assists, no one can top Celtics legend Paul Pierce in buzzer-beating plays in NBA history.
exculpatory
RealGM

Post#18 » by exculpatory » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:05 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Boston Celtics