Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Re: Around the NBA XI 

Post#641 » by Kilroy » Tue May 5, 2020 11:57 pm

Watching the last dance...
More than anything, it makes me miss that era of NBA... The rivalries... The work ethic... When fan-bases and teams mattered more than personal brands... MJ changed that, but it didn't matter as much because of his nightly approach to the game...

Aside from that, it brought back something that stuck out to me during his career, and afterwords... And has spawned a conspiracy theory in my mind...
David Stern was a full-on MJ fan-boy... I remember thinking at the time that hearing Stern talk about MJ was nauseating, but it didn't bother me that much because he had liked the Lakers and Magic too, to a certain extent... But with Bird and Magic, his approach always seemed very professional... With MJ, it was different... You got the sense he was watching all MJs games and rooting for him...
Granted, MJ was the NBA's cash cow... He was basically printing money for the league... So a certain amount of promotion on Sterns part may have been understandable. But watching the last dance, it's clear that's not all that was going on...
Like has been mentioned in the film... MJ invented 'superstar rules'... Or at least took them to another level... There were rumors at the time Stern was protecting him... Sure seems possible watching this.

So now for my wild-ass conspiracy theory... Stern vetoed the CP3 trade to keep Kobe from passing MJ for 6 rings.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Post#642 » by Slava » Wed May 6, 2020 6:41 am

I think Stern would have been as much a fan of a Kobe-LeBron finals match up as he was of MJ and the league as a whole was basically raking in money in 2011 compared to Jordan's years when it was just realizing its potential to a foreign audience. As much of a Lakers fan as I'm, I don't even think the Lakers beat Miami 2011-2014 with CP3 who was unreliable health-wise to tag along to an aging Kobe, busted Bynum or immature Dwight Howard. Those Miami teams were a buzzsaw on defense for less athletic and aging ball handlers.

I don't think there was anyone in the MJ orbit that wasn't a fan of him, he was utterly charismatic, maniacally focussed on his craft and winning.

NBA probably invented the superstar call for MJ but every star wing since then has benefitted from them without taking the kind of abuse MJ and Scottie took at the hands of the Pistons. The most physical facsimile for wing defenders since the bad boy Pistons was Ron Artest in his prime.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#643 » by Landsberger » Wed May 6, 2020 2:18 pm

As a guy who's watch the NBA since the mid 70's as a kid I can say the superstar call has existed well before MJ. Adrian Dantley and Moses Malone were the ones that stand out in my memory as players that without them they would not have been nearly as effective.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#644 » by Kilroy » Thu May 14, 2020 3:32 am

Aaaand Dwight needs to STFU... Don't blow it bro and talk yourself out of LA... Again.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,177

Post#645 » by LAKESHOW » Thu May 14, 2020 5:03 am

I dont know and frankly dont care what he said. I have no problem with Dumping him.
He Promised to be a soldier, and we had to get folks to sign off on bringing his a@@ in.
And ive seen him in the crunch, big games. HE DOES NOT SHOW UP. When he shoots 3s, plays around, yeah, he plays big. But not dependable in my opinion, when we are going to need him the most.
I was on board to bring him in. I wanted to see and evaluate. After a season with dwight, you cant teach an old dog new tricks. He is who he is.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#646 » by Kilroy » Sat May 23, 2020 4:27 am

Slink
Bench Warmer
And1: 940

Post#647 » by Slink » Sun May 24, 2020 7:18 pm

LeBron James' media company producing docuseries on Astros cheating scandal

https://sports.yahoo.com/le-bron-james-media-company-producing-docuseries-on-astros-cheating-scandal-224559811.html

“The documentary will transcend the baseball diamond to explore larger themes of greed, cheating, corruption, sportsmanship and social media activism,” Quibi said in a press release, courtesy of the Houston Chronicle. "Sign Language will be the definitive documentary about the scandal that rocked America's pastime."

Major League Baseball initiated an investigation in November after former Astros pitcher Mike Fiers revealed elements of the team’s illegal sign-stealing scheme to The Athletic. At the conclusion of its investigation in January, MLB fined the Astros $5 million and suspended manager A.J. Hinch and general manager Jeff Luhnow for one year after discovering the team used a camera to illegally steal and relay signs to hitters during games.

Both Hinch and Luhnow were immediately fired.

LeBron James was among the athletes to publicly condemn the Astros for cheating and call out commissioner Rob Manfred for his handling of the situation.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#648 » by snaquille oatmeal » Tue May 26, 2020 9:04 pm

Lol at Chick closing the refrigerator door in the first quarter

Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#649 » by Kilroy » Wed May 27, 2020 12:03 am

snaquille oatmeal wrote:Lol at Chick closing the refrigerator door in the first quarter

Watching that... I miss Chick, but I also wonder if anything like he did could happen again. He's talking the whole time... That's just not done anymore. The game speaks for itself a bit more these days with all the camera angles and stuff like that. I'm not sure you could have a true play by play guy rattling off all the events in the game anymore.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#650 » by Landsberger » Wed May 27, 2020 12:55 am

I was at that game!! It was complete destruction.

As for Chick... I loved him too. He was a radio guy primarily IMHO. I could almost get a better feel for a game on the radio with him than on TV.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,466

Post#651 » by dockingsched » Wed May 27, 2020 3:18 am

Kilroy wrote:
snaquille oatmeal wrote:Lol at Chick closing the refrigerator door in the first quarter

Watching that... I miss Chick, but I also wonder if anything like he did could happen again. He's talking the whole time... That's just not done anymore. The game speaks for itself a bit more these days with all the camera angles and stuff like that. I'm not sure you could have a true play by play guy rattling off all the events in the game anymore.

Gotta remember that it used to be a simulcast where chick was on tv and radio, so he had to keep his radio listeners in mind. No one does that anymore.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,177

Post#652 » by LAKESHOW » Wed May 27, 2020 3:31 am

Chick was outright hilarious and ruthless at times, it was comical. Truly a guy who didnt give a chit and would put it straight about a situation or a team mistake, or sometimes persons.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#653 » by Landsberger » Thu May 28, 2020 3:15 am

dockingsched wrote:
Kilroy wrote:

Gotta remember that it used to be a simulcast where chick was on tv and radio, so he had to keep his radio listeners in mind. No one does that anymore.

One of my favorite radio stations was KNW 1070.... Lakers simulcasts and retro radio like the Lone Ranger at 2am when I couldn't sleep.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#654 » by Kilroy » Thu May 28, 2020 11:49 pm

Folks calling out the NBA about the 'covid playoff' proposal, for trying to backdoor Zion into the playoffs...
Not in the least surprised if true, but if so, it's beyond lame... He'll have plenty of opportunities to be in the playoffs, don't be so desperate...
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#655 » by Landsberger » Fri May 29, 2020 2:37 am

Kilroy wrote:Folks calling out the NBA about the 'covid playoff' proposal, for trying to backdoor Zion into the playoffs...
Not in the least surprised if true, but if so, it's beyond lame... He'll have plenty of opportunities to be in the playoffs, don't be so desperate...

Yeah... it's a real thing IMHO. Bron is toward the end... Durant is as well and never was the "face of the NBA" kind of guy and Curry is on the downslope. They absolutely need Zion to be that next guy. Magic/Bird, Jordan, Shaq/Kobe, Lebron. That's a string of all time greats. Not sure then next one of those Mt Rushmore guys is here or even in the wings yet. Zion is the closest and he already gets more NBA attention than the Freak. He seems to be the "next" contestant.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#656 » by snaquille oatmeal » Fri May 29, 2020 2:30 pm

Double post
Forum permissions