ImageImageImage

In case going straight to playoff, could the Mavs get past Clippers?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

In case going straight to playoff, could the Mavs get past Clippers? 

Post#1 » by Darren » Wed May 27, 2020 2:46 am

The Mavs struggle blutantly against the Clippers this season so far. Beverely just makes things tough for Doncic. George and Kawhi also takes turn guarding Doncic as well. This kind of matchup overwork Doncic on both end of the floor. This results in rather depressing outing against the Clippers. The Mavs lose by at least 10-18 points against full-team Clippers. Guarding the paint is also a problem. Clippers are also more mobile in all position. As the Mavs has to switch a lot, troubles come. This leaves a lot of rooms for outside shooters as the Mavs is preoccupied in the paint. That's kind of difficult matchup. Combined with streaky stepback 3 from Doncic, things are always tough. Any way to make it a competitive series?
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Re: In case going straight to playoff, could the Mavs get past Clippers? 

Post#2 » by BlueSan » Wed May 27, 2020 4:22 am

In a one elimination game yes. In a best of 7 not a chance
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,957

Post#3 » by Mr B » Wed May 27, 2020 4:42 am

If the NBA decides to go with a tournament style playoffs (which is my preference) they would likely take the top 20 teams, seed them 1-20 and then reseed after each round. That’s one scenario I’ve heard they are discussing. If they do that the Mavs wouldn’t be matched against the Clippers, not in the 1st round anyways.

If they do face the Clippers though and it’s a 1 game elimination the Mavs could absolutely pull off the upset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#4 » by arkuo » Wed May 27, 2020 9:49 am

In a 7 game series, quick answer is no.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#5 » by Mr B » Wed May 27, 2020 3:15 pm

Mr B wrote:If the NBA decides to go with a tournament style playoffs (which is my preference) they would likely take the top 20 teams, seed them 1-20 and then reseed after each round. That’s one scenario I’ve heard they are discussing. If they do that the Mavs wouldn’t be matched against the Clippers, not in the 1st round anyways.

If they do face the Clippers though and it’s a 1 game elimination the Mavs could absolutely pull off the upset.

I saw this posted yesterday. So even in a 20 team tournament it looks like the Mavs would still draw the Clippers. Image

ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#6 » by ejs78 » Wed May 27, 2020 3:39 pm

There's only 16 teams in this
Mr B wrote:
Mr B wrote:If the NBA decides to go with a tournament style playoffs (which is my preference) they would likely take the top 20 teams, seed them 1-20 and then reseed after each round. That’s one scenario I’ve heard they are discussing. If they do that the Mavs wouldn’t be matched against the Clippers, not in the 1st round anyways.

I saw this posted yesterday. So even in a 20 team tournament it looks like the Mavs would still draw the Clippers. Image

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Mr B
RealGM

Post#7 » by Mr B » Wed May 27, 2020 7:45 pm

ejs78 wrote:There's only 16 teams in this
Mr B wrote:

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

Yea I noticed that after I posted it. Yesterday there was a report though that NBA is considering the top 20 teams instead of 16.

dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,796

Post#8 » by dirkforpres » Thu May 28, 2020 3:08 pm

No way. Still no Powell or Brunson and they have arguably 3 of the top 5 or 6 defenders in the league starting for them.

If everything goes right, Mavs could push it to 7, but there’s no way the league lets an LA cash cow team like the Clips get bumped in R1
FIRE JASON KIDD
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 2,984

Post#9 » by daoneandonly » Thu May 28, 2020 4:56 pm

Honestly, Mavs would be lucky to get 1 against the CLipps. The absolute last team I want to face, and we match with them no matter what. That Lakers game we got cheated out of really bit us, and the oens where we shot our own foot like the Wizards and 2 Knicks games.
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#10 » by dirkforpres » Thu May 28, 2020 7:50 pm

daoneandonly wrote:Honestly, Mavs would be lucky to get 1 against the CLipps. The absolute last team I want to face, and we match with them no matter what. That Lakers game we got cheated out of really bit us, and the oens where we shot our own foot like the Wizards and 2 Knicks games.

Bingo. Mavs have no one to blame but themselves for their playoff seeding. So many blown 4th quarter leads that we would likely have been Top 4 without them
FIRE JASON KIDD
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 340

Post#11 » by Michaellam1987 » Fri May 29, 2020 3:10 pm

No chance for DAL to beat a full team LAC in a seven game series, unless KP is playing like when he won the player of the week AND Luka is playing like when he won the player of the month in Nov, for the whole series.
chokingmav
Sophomore
And1: 44

Post#12 » by chokingmav » Fri May 29, 2020 5:33 pm

I’m interested to see ‘playoff Luka’. If he has another gear and KP plays well, anything is possible. If not, I think our only chance would involve injuries to key Clippers.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#13 » by Mr B » Fri May 29, 2020 7:10 pm

Michaellam1987 wrote:No chance for DAL to beat a full team LAC in a seven game series, unless KP is playing like when he won the player of the week AND Luka is playing like when he won the player of the month in Nov, for the whole series.

What if it is a 1 game elimination, loser goes home tournament style? Would the Mavs have a chance?

Bluelabel24
Junior
And1: 51

Post#14 » by Bluelabel24 » Sat May 30, 2020 8:54 am

daoneandonly wrote:Honestly, Mavs would be lucky to get 1 against the CLipps. The absolute last team I want to face, and we match with them no matter what. That Lakers game we got cheated out of really bit us, and the oens where we shot our own foot like the Wizards and 2 Knicks games.

this... gotta agree strongly. id even rather face the lakers than the clippers based solely on the regular season match up results..
DoctorMiau
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#15 » by DoctorMiau » Mon Jun 1, 2020 7:29 pm

dirkforpres wrote:

Bingo. Mavs have no one to blame but themselves for their playoff seeding. So many blown 4th quarter leads that we would likely have been Top 4 without them

Regardless of how amazing Luka is and how good KP came back from injury, being the 6th/7th seed in the current western conference is a huge accomplishment for the current Mavs. Sure, they´ve lost a few games that they shouldn´t have, but they also won a few they had on paper no business winning. Their seed is on par with the level of talent on their roster.
MiltTheStilt
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#16 » by MiltTheStilt » Mon Jun 1, 2020 8:38 pm

DoctorMiau wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

Regardless of how amazing Luka is and how good KP came back from injury, being the 6th/7th seed in the current western conference is a huge accomplishment for the current Mavs. Sure, they´ve lost a few games that they shouldn´t have, but they also won a few they had on paper no business winning. Their seed is on par with the level of talent on their roster.

I agree at this point the Mavs are one more big player away.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#17 » by Mr B » Tue Jun 2, 2020 12:53 am

DoctorMiau wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

Even Donnie Nelson and Carlisle have said this team has progressed (mostly because of Luka) much quicker than they expected to. At the beginning of the season I was thinking they would end up somewhere between 8-10 which would have been a huge accomplishment. Regardless of the outcome of the playoffs this has been a great season for the Mavs and their growth as a team.

Oscar9992
Analyst
And1: 2,904

Post#18 » by Oscar9992 » Wed Jun 3, 2020 12:25 pm

Clippers are worst possible opponents for Mavs.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#19 » by Mr B » Thu Jun 4, 2020 3:41 pm

Mavs may not actually draw the Clippers if the NBA does what the latest rumors say. 8 games to solidify the seeding and then playoffs.

dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#20 » by dirkforpres » Thu Jun 4, 2020 4:00 pm

Mr B wrote:Mavs may not actually draw the Clippers if the NBA does what the latest rumors say. 8 games to solidify the seeding and then playoffs.

Houston, Denver, and Utah are the 3 teams that the Mavs will be luckiest to face in R1. Not saying any matchup is easy, but those give us the best opportunity to advance. Ideally, I wouldn’t want to face the Clippers until the WCF, so getting a 5 seed would be the best outcome IMO. That would likely mean Utah in R1 and Lakers in R2.
FIRE JASON KIDD

Return to Dallas Mavericks