ImageImageImageImage

Official Speculation Thread '19-'20 V: Purgatory

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Re: Official Speculation Thread '19-'20 V: Purgatory 

Post#561 » by j-ragg » Wed May 27, 2020 2:51 pm

Orlando is really gonna get screwed by this play-in idea aren’t they? Even after hosting the whole thing.

I don’t get why playoff teams (7+8) should have to participate in something to get into the playoffs.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,962

Post#562 » by Ducklett » Wed May 27, 2020 2:56 pm

j-ragg wrote:Orlando is really gonna get screwed by this play-in idea aren’t they? Even after hosting the whole thing.

I don’t get why playoff teams (7+8) should have to participate in something to get into the playoffs.

Do the teams that lose the play-in get put into the lotto? Seems like a win in my book if that's the case.

The western 7 seed has 10 more wins than us. Insane.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#563 » by j-ragg » Wed May 27, 2020 3:15 pm

Ducklett wrote:
j-ragg wrote:Orlando is really gonna get screwed by this play-in idea aren’t they? Even after hosting the whole thing.

Do the teams that lose the play-in get put into the lotto? Seems like a win in my book if that's the case.

I’d assume so. I don’t love the treadmill approach this team has taken but the 12th pick versus the 15th pick isn’t a big deal to me.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,830

Post#564 » by MagicMatic » Wed May 27, 2020 6:21 pm

Don’t really care to watch Orlando get smashed by Milwaukee while playing rusty basketball.

They should probably just get rid of conferences for the playoffs anyway.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,499

Post#565 » by thelead » Wed May 27, 2020 7:02 pm

EAS Law wrote:
pinoynurse wrote:
EAS Law wrote:I have a lot of faith in Fultz. I wish we could bring Lavine here as our SG. He’s obviously extremely athletic and seems to be able to hit the three. It would be like TRoss with the handles of a PG.

serious question and by no means am i trying to be offensive, but what has given you so much optimism on fultz? the reason i ask is because trust me i want to believe but i dont see anything that convinces me.

I see a player that is essentially playing in his first meaningful season and one who has exhibited great court awareness and vision. I like how explosive and athletic he is. I like how he can be a great defensive player and create havoc. He’s extremely young still and learning the NBA game.

He might not ever be an all star or superstar, but for what we gave up to get him, I think he can be a really good starter for us for a long while to come.

For me, he is EASILY the most talented player on our roster. Yes, his 3 point shot is still a work in progress (to put it nicely) but everything else looks fantastic for a player that has played less than 100 games thus far. He has superstar talent. Will he get there? Who knows but he has the best chance out of everyone on this roster.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,499

Post#566 » by thelead » Wed May 27, 2020 7:04 pm

j-ragg wrote:
Ducklett wrote:

I’d assume so. I don’t love the treadmill approach this team has taken but the 12th pick versus the 15th pick isn’t a big deal to me.

I would take the 12th pick and no sweep. It's a moot point anyway IMO. I still don't think the season is happening.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,140

Post#567 » by zaymon » Wed May 27, 2020 7:32 pm

EAS Law wrote:
pinoynurse wrote:
EAS Law wrote:I have a lot of faith in Fultz. I wish we could bring Lavine here as our SG. He’s obviously extremely athletic and seems to be able to hit the three. It would be like TRoss with the handles of a PG.

serious question and by no means am i trying to be offensive, but what has given you so much optimism on fultz? the reason i ask is because trust me i want to believe but i dont see anything that convinces me.

I see a player that is essentially playing in his first meaningful season and one who has exhibited great court awareness and vision. I like how explosive and athletic he is. I like how he can be a great defensive player and create havoc. He’s extremely young still and learning the NBA game.

He might not ever be an all star or superstar, but for what we gave up to get him, I think he can be a really good starter for us for a long while to come.

I value Fultz becouse he can help us win in many ways. He has good vision and very good passing ability, with low turnover rate (which is key for ball handler in Cliffords system). With his handle and shake, he can get to the rim at will, and his finishing is promising. Defensively he is big and strong, which give us option to go more switch heavy. His midrange shooting is solid, and that give me hope he can extend his range beyond 3 point lane, after he gains enough strenght in his injured arm.(unless there is a permament nerve damage).
TLDR i see three basic roles Fultz can perform.
1. Secondary ball handler, big switching guard, limited 3 point shooter- smart. bledsoe
2. Primary ball handler with limited 3 point shot- Jimmy Butler, Victor Oladipo, Draymond Green ? ?,
3. goat

Regarding defensive fit, and draft preference i think Fultz give us advantage by being a bigger than average ball handler so drafting smaller, weaker guard like Terry, Maxey, Maledon, Anthony and to some extent even Lewis seems like a little waste and bigger wings like Vassell, Green, Bolmaro, Bane, gain in my eyes.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,830

Post#568 » by MagicMatic » Wed May 27, 2020 8:38 pm

EAS Law wrote:
pinoynurse wrote:

Agreed. Fultz is the ultimate wildcard for this roster. Orlando can go a lot further if Fultz pans out as one of the best players, especially for what we gave up for him. I think it all depends on how people view Isaac’s trajectory and what role he serves the team moving forward.
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#569 » by nymets1 » Thu May 28, 2020 1:06 am

Does anyone know an outdoor park with a basketball hoop that I could shoot on? Today i went to Wirz park, Red Bug Lake Park, Phelps park and was so shocked that none of the basketball courts are playable. I thought the outdoor places with a basketball court would be playable and indoor courts are not. So I guess the only way to shoot hoops right now is to ask a neighbor can I shoot hoops on your basketball hoop?
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,095

Post#570 » by tiderulz » Thu May 28, 2020 4:57 pm

j-ragg wrote:
Ducklett wrote:

well, last year it was the difference between Chuma and Herro or PJ Washington.
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#571 » by zaymon » Thu May 28, 2020 7:59 pm

tiderulz wrote:
j-ragg wrote:
Ducklett wrote:

I will take Chuma over both of these guys.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,112

Post#572 » by AdamTheGreek » Thu May 28, 2020 9:17 pm

I don't think they'll do the 7-10 or 7-12 play-in. Wizards are 5.5 games back of us. I think they'll do the group stage round robin format before they do the play-in so that they get Dame, Zion, Spurs (playoff streak), and Kings (playoff drought) in and not reward the true bottom feeders.

Penny & Pops Podcast
‘Magical Movies’: Hedo’s Bank Shot - Orlando at Portland - Dec. 9, 2008

iTunes: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/penny-pops-podcast-magicbasketballonline-com/id1114413480#episodeGuid=tag%3Asoundcloud%2C2010%3Atracks%2F830040478

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/3q3uJy9bl4fJcfobCJ3yDA?si=xx9DSJ77Q-qyFu88nPY0BQ

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/137665379/magical-movies-hedos-bank-shot-orlando-at-portland-dec-9-2008-episode-41-may-28-2020

‘Magical Movies’ features a Hedo Turkoglu (24 points) bank shot winner that topped off a 9-0 run in the final two minutes in a 109-108 win for the Orlando Magic on the road in Rose Garden Arena over the Portland Trail Blazers on December 9, 2008. It’s a contest that Brandon Roy (30 points) and LaMarcus Aldridge (25 points) should have won for the home side. Rashard Lewis (27 points), Jameer Nelson (21 points), and of course the Turkish Michael Jordan all hit key shots in a fantastic contest.

Full Game (Portland’s Comcast SportsNet broadcast):
https://youtu.be/hGjoCVGyTgs

The box score: https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200812090POR.html
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,095

Post#573 » by tiderulz » Thu May 28, 2020 11:42 pm

zaymon wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
j-ragg wrote:I’d assume so. I don’t love the treadmill approach this team has taken but the 12th pick versus the 15th pick isn’t a big deal to me.

considered Chuma hasnt played an NBA minute, too early to make that determination
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#574 » by zaymon » Fri May 29, 2020 8:07 am

tiderulz wrote:
zaymon wrote:
tiderulz wrote:well, last year it was the difference between Chuma and Herro or PJ Washington.

considered Chuma hasnt played an NBA minute, too early to make that determination

You kind of did but the other way ;) unless Okeke forgot how to shoot and defend i will take the risk with him. Pj and Herro are good rotation players, but nothing really special.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,223

Post#575 » by pepe1991 » Fri May 29, 2020 8:59 am

zaymon wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
zaymon wrote:I will take Chuma over both of these guys.

You kind of did but the other way ;) unless Okeke forgot how to shoot and defend i will take the risk with him. Pj and Herro are good rotation players, but nothing really special.

Really?
Non of them had year and half rehab due ACL tear, that alone is big factor.
Second, Herro in his frashman year was waaay better than Okeke in his. It's not even really close.

Not only that, we know for fact that both Herro and Washington can contribute right away ( both at 12-13 ppg range ) . It's yet to be seen what Okeke can bring.

Okeke's realistic expetation is to be role player off bench for Orlando, until and if he proves he is more than that. With Aminu,Gordon,Isaac he won't play much anyway any time soon.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#576 » by drsd » Fri May 29, 2020 9:23 am

The idea floating around is that the NBA will have a World Cup (Association Football) type round robin with these groupings; based on seeds:
Group A
Milwaukee Bucks (1)
Miami Heat (8)
Oklahoma City Thunder (9)
Orlando Magic (16)
Portland Trail Blazers (17)
Chicago Bulls (24)

Group B
Los Angeles Lakers (2)
Utah Jazz (7)
Houston Rockets (10)
Brooklyn Nets (15)
New Orleans Pelicans (18)
Charlotte Hornets (23)

Group C
Toronto Raptors (3)
Denver Nuggets (6)
Indiana Pacers (11)
Memphis Grizzlies (14)
Sacramento Kings (19)
Washington Wizards (22)

Group D
Los Angeles Clippers (4)
Boston Celtics (5)
Philadelphia 76ers (12)
Dallas Mavericks (13)
San Antonio Spurs (20)
Phoenix Suns (21)

There is also a 20 game concept where tier-1 teams pick their playoff team from tier-4 (and Orlando could be tier-3 in that discussion).

Neither of these scenarios "screws" the Magic. That this Event is in Orlando, the Magic is not to be screwed even if Stuff needs to suit up. Frankly that Orlando plays every playoff game as a home game is a great outcome for Magic fans.

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#577 » by drsd » Fri May 29, 2020 9:29 am

What would screw the Magic is if the NBA decides to adopt a principle where the top 8 teams of both conferences are in the playoffs and they are seeds based on record alone (that is there would be a lot of E v W games in round 1).

In that: the Bucks is the 1-seed and Orlando is the 16-seed.

zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#578 » by zaymon » Fri May 29, 2020 10:39 am

pepe1991 wrote:
zaymon wrote:
tiderulz wrote:considered Chuma hasnt played an NBA minute, too early to make that determination

Really?
Non of them had year and half rehab due ACL tear, that alone is big factor.
Second, Herro in his frashman year was waaay better than Okeke in his. It's not even really close.

Not only that, we know for fact that both Herro and Washington can contribute right away ( both at 12-13 ppg range ) . It's yet to be seen what Okeke can bring.

Okeke's realistic expetation is to be role player off bench for Orlando, until and if he proves he is more than that. With Aminu,Gordon,Isaac he won't play much anyway any time soon.

I dont know if Chuma will be better, but i like his upside. Its hard to predict development, but his progression rate in college was steep. I would rather bet on 6'7/6'8 forward with 7 foot wingspan and elite team defense, shooting 38% from 3 point range than 6'5 shooting guard with negative wingspan and average at best team defense. I am very curious how miami defense will function in playoffs, Adebayo will have a lot of work.
EAS Law
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Post#579 » by EAS Law » Fri May 29, 2020 1:37 pm

tiderulz wrote:
zaymon wrote:
tiderulz wrote:well, last year it was the difference between Chuma and Herro or PJ Washington.

I haven’t seen much of Washington, but Herro is pretty decent. Even in his best of the best highlights, I cannot see why we chose Chuma even without his injury.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#580 » by MagicFan101 » Fri May 29, 2020 2:12 pm

EAS Law wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
zaymon wrote:I will take Chuma over both of these guys.

I haven’t seen much of Washington, but Herro is pretty decent. Even in his best of the best highlights, I cannot see why we chose Chuma even without his injury.

Chuma was a legitimate mid-late lottery projection pre-injury.

If you appreciate defense and the ability to his open shots then you appreciate Chuma. He is a true 3&D player who can guard multiple positions.

He isn’t overly flashy and isn’t likely to end up in a slam dunk contest if that is what matters to you but he will be productive at a position and skill set of need on this roster.

In the middle of the first round there are always a handful of names worthy of picking. I’m not saying Chuma was the one and only name to pick or even the #1 pick I would have made but if you can’t see why his talent brings value to Orlando then you’re not paying attention.

Return to Orlando Magic