Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#661 » by Trader_Joe » Fri May 29, 2020 5:42 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:A couple things...

1) Dinwiddie was just on First Take this morning, reiterating what he has said before. He knows he can start elsewhere, he knows he can make more money elsewhere, but he believes that being here makes him a part of a championship contending core, and he'd rather have that over a mediocre team where he gets more money, and playing time. Sure, the guy loves flirting with media/fans, and he tries to get as much publicity as possible. But he's being genuine when he talks about wanting to be here, and competing for a championship. Remember that this guy helped recruit Kyrie, knowing that it would more or less kill his chances of being a starter here. He has also already talked about his willingness to take a step back, and be a supporting player when Kyrie & KD come back. He's a very good player in his prime, getting better each year, relatively injury free, and on a great contract for at least one more season. I'm only letting him go if we're getting a star or getting significantly better through moves.

2) For me personally, wanting to trade Allen has nothing to do with DJ's supposed preference to start. It has to do with the belief that Allen isn't capable of being a starter on a championship team. Maybe he'll get there someday but that time isn't now, and there are way too many question marks. Aside from that, I also believe that having a stretch 5 would help us tremendously, as DJ already is similar to Allen in what he provides. Having both Allen, and DJ is kinda redundant because their skillset is the same.

How do they overlap if they don't see the floor together?
It allows them to run 48 minutes of a lobs and block player, both going full speed and contributing in the same offense. And, there are injuries and foul trouble.
Their skillset overlaps in the sense that there is no alternate option in playstyle, you can't have a proper five out offense, not that they actually play together. I'm saying its good to have that kind of flexibility.

I'd rather have the ability to run our usual offense for up to 48 minutes over 82 games.
KD, Claxton and potentially Kurucs can be that stretch 5 if needed.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,559

Post#662 » by DarkXaero » Fri May 29, 2020 6:31 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:How do they overlap if they don't see the floor together?
It allows them to run 48 minutes of a lobs and block player, both going full speed and contributing in the same offense. And, there are injuries and foul trouble.
Their skillset overlaps in the sense that there is no alternate option in playstyle, you can't have a proper five out offense, not that they actually play together. I'm saying its good to have that kind of flexibility.

I'd rather have the ability to run our usual offense for up to 48 minutes over 82 games.
KD who is coming off torn achilles, and two completely unproven options? There is no "usual offense" with Kenny gone, we're getting a new head coach, we don't know what our offense will look like.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#663 » by Trader_Joe » Fri May 29, 2020 6:50 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:Their skillset overlaps in the sense that there is no alternate option in playstyle, you can't have a proper five out offense, not that they actually play together. I'm saying its good to have that kind of flexibility.

KD who is coming off torn achilles, and two completely unproven options? There is no "usual offense" with Kenny gone, we're getting a new head coach, we don't know what our offense will look like.

I assume DJ is here and our starting Center. There is no other way to play him than pick n'roll, lobs and blocks.
And yeah.. if KD can't do that, then we're screwed either way. He's a long 7 footer than can play from anywhere on the court. On offense the stretch 5 role doesn't change much for what he can do, on D, I'd rather him guard bigger slower players, than speedy perimeter threats which would require more strain on his Achilles chasing them.

Sign a minimum C spacer if needed.. like Tolliver, Bender, whoever, but I'd much rather have the have duplication and replication over the course of 48min/82 games than changing the dynamic with a 22 minute back-up who would play polar opposite of DJ.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,853

Post#664 » by MrDollarBills » Fri May 29, 2020 7:07 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:I'd rather have the ability to run our usual offense for up to 48 minutes over 82 games.

I assume DJ is here and our starting Center. There is no other way to play him than pick n'roll, lobs and blocks.
And yeah.. if KD can't do that, then we're screwed either way. He's a long 7 footer than can play from anywhere on the court. On offense the stretch 5 role doesn't change much for what he can do, on D, I'd rather him guard bigger slower players, than speedy perimeter threats which would require more strain on his Achilles chasing them.

Sign a minimum C spacer if needed.. like Tolliver, Bender, whoever, but I'd much rather have the have duplication and replication over the course of 48min/82 games than changing the dynamic with a 22 minute back-up who would play polar opposite of DJ.

and most likely we will be running a death line up if the next head coach has any common sense, so KD can play some 5
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#665 » by MrDollarBills » Fri May 29, 2020 7:11 pm

Read on Twitter

TAMPERING SEASON IS ONCE AGAIN UPON US :nod:

Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#666 » by Trader_Joe » Fri May 29, 2020 7:16 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:KD who is coming off torn achilles, and two completely unproven options? There is no "usual offense" with Kenny gone, we're getting a new head coach, we don't know what our offense will look like.

and most likely we will be running a death line up if the next head coach has any common sense, so KD can play some 5

Exactly.
And I don't see why Claxton can't play that role either. He showed range in the G.League as well as the handles/perimter game. Kurucs is 6'10 and long as well. I'm not trading Allen so we can add a back-up C with a different style that may or may not work with us, because we know Allen does fit. If I trade Allen, it's because he might be un-affordable, unhappy or we can bolster another position of need.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#667 » by MrDollarBills » Fri May 29, 2020 7:18 pm

Also it looks like a lot of Euroleague players want to join the NBA before the season resumes. we may end up getting someone good for the minimum

Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#668 » by Claud » Fri May 29, 2020 9:16 pm

Beal has become an absolute killer, no doubt about it. Ever since Wall has been out he's taken his game to another level.

The question is, in a championship run, do we want another legit star alongside Ky and KD or do we want more depth?

Caris + Dinwiddie + Fro + picks for beal would be a fair deal but is it a smart move?

Caris was starting to blossom and peak at the right time until the pandemic broke out and everything stopped.

Dinwiddie had a great start to the year but fizzled out but was still putting together a strong overall season. (30% from 3 is not good though)

The Fro had an inconsistent year but it's not like DJ was incredible either. I still firmly believe Allen is better C than DJ is at this stage of his career and the stats back it up. I think 48 minutes of DJ/Fro is a good C rotation for a championship run although I see the point about adding a stretch 5 to diversify the offense... Brook anyone? :)

The fact that we have these 2 great options going forward speaks volumes of the work Marks has done since taking over also a great situation for the franchise to be in.

Either a killer trio of KD/Kyrie/Beal or KD/Kyrie + great depth + good young talent. Can't go wrong either way in my view. Long gone are the days of Purple Hayes, Farmar and Shane Larkins of the world :lol:
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#669 » by GTR11 » Sat May 30, 2020 10:18 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Read on Twitter

TAMPERING SEASON IS ONCE AGAIN UPON US :nod:

If we miss out on playoffs we can have two picks going into this off-season :nod:
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#670 » by GTR11 » Sat May 30, 2020 10:24 am

I know I'm in minority here but Nic can be out back up. This is assuming Allen is as good as gone as a trade piece. You all already know I love the fact that he can expend our offense to another level.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,871

Post#671 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sat May 30, 2020 2:52 pm

If Washington wants to trade Beal I feel like they can get a lot better than Levert/Allen/picks. Dinwiddie is a FA agent anyway so he has little value to them.

With that being said, if KD/Kyrie want Beal and he demands a trade only to Brooklyn then I wouldn't hate the move.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#672 » by DarkXaero » Sun May 31, 2020 4:10 am

A revised version of my previously suggested trades.

1st trade:

BKN trades: Spencer Dinwiddie, Rodion Kurucs, Dznan Musa, Theo Pinson
ORL trades: Aaron Gordon, Gary Clark, Magic 2020 1st round pick

2nd trade:

BKN trades: Caris Levert, Jarrett Allen, Taurean Prince, Philadelphia 2020 1st round pick, Orlando 2020 1st round pick, 2021 pick swap option, Brooklyn 2022 top-8 protected 1st round pick, Brooklyn 2024 top-5 protected 1st round pick
WSH trades: Bradley Beal, Moritz Wagner

Depth Chart:

Kyrie/DJ Augustin*/Chiozza
Beal/Temple
KD/Harris/TLC
Gordon/Claxton
DJ/Wagner

*signed from tax payer MLE

Might be able to do better than Augustin for tax payer MLE, but I put that in there as a realistic target for a position of need. I think this is a pretty reasonable scenario overall, if Beal ends up being on the move. Wizards get a couple good young pieces in Levert & Allen, and 5 potential picks (with 4 guaranteed). Orlando gets the best player in their trade (Dinwiddie over Gordon), and PG is a need for them. To sweeten the deal, Kurucs is added to convince Orlando to offer their 1st round pick. We still retain a pretty good bench unit, so it's not like we don't have decent depth. Gordon gives us an athletic defender against the star forwards in the league. Adding Wagner allows us to run a proper five out offense if we want.

Also get the opportunity to develop Claxton by giving him backup minutes. Can fill out the rest of the roster with good vet min moves.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#673 » by DarkXaero » Sun May 31, 2020 8:02 pm

https://theathletic.com/1846036/2020/05/31/a-reminder-amid-the-rumors-the-wizards-still-dont-want-to-trade-bradley-beal/

The Beal-should-be-traded storyline isn’t only media-driven. There are loads of people inside the league who believe the Wizards would be better off if they dealt him for young players and/or draft picks as soon as they could.

Most of the article is about how Beal isn't getting traded now, unless something changes drastically (either Beal wanting out or Wizards FO changing their mind). I've maintained that a Beal trade can only happen if he wants out, and requests a trade here. So whatever recruiting KD & Kyrie are doing, it has to be effective.

Problem is that Beal still has the misguided thinking of wanting to be the man, and having his own team, leading his team to a championship (invokes Dirk comparison). It's misguided because Wizards are not in a position to do that at all, they're stuck with Wall's supermax, and along with Beal's big contract, they can't add **** in free agency. They can't really make a trade for a star either because Beal is basically the only star in trade rumors. If Wall comes back healthy, they're still at best, 8th, 7th or maybe 6th seed in the East. All the top teams in the East are likely to get better next season, so it's really not possible for Wizards to make that kind of leap. There is one inevitable conclusion to this, and I hope Beal realizes it sooner rather than later.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,366

Post#674 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun May 31, 2020 9:38 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:If Washington wants to trade Beal I feel like they can get a lot better than Levert/Allen/picks. Dinwiddie is a FA agent anyway so he has little value to them.

I do not, not in the least.

On it's own, with zero context, this is a straight up good package for anyone in the league, sans a handful of guys like LeBron, AD, Giannis, Harden, etc. and even when guys like that are traded, it's often for only slightly better and sometimes for a lot less.

Then read between the lines, that obvious space wider then the water the Brooklyn Bridge crosses and let's just stop bs'ing and understand he wasn't going to be a Wizard past the coming season's trade deadline anyway.

Then add the context that you essentially need Beal's blessing to trade him anywhere for anything of value.
You aren't going to get some top 3 lotto team to deal their pick for him, plus future picks and other real prospects on rookie contracts unless Beal says he wants to go there. He might as well be on an expiring contract. No one wants a disgruntled star and no one is going to trade away their blue chip assets just to acquire a pissed off star and throw him on a barren roster worse than the Wizards' last season with little to no way to improve, just to watch him walk after a season or two of temper tantrum chucking.

LeVert/Allen, top 18 pick this draft, future pick(s), salary filler and possibly even Dinwiddie to a 3rd team for some sort of additional asset, or combining of pieces to create a 3rd top notch asset is a GREAT package for a guy like Beal.

Over and over and Over and OVER and OVERRRRRRR we see stars traded for solid to bad packages and yet every time everyone is in denial until it happens. I just don't get it lol. :lol:

Like AD just went for one of the best packages in recent history of a star and that's with the context they created a mockery of the process and the hindsight that Ingram is really really good. Hell, it feels like myself and like 2 posters from here(I forget who, might have even been you as one of them), were the only ones on the planet who still loved Ingram as a prospect to still come around and start legit fulfilling his potential. Most looked at that package as meh on the surface and Ingram a so-so stringbean liable to become an oft injured Rudy Gay type.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#675 » by Prokorov » Mon Jun 1, 2020 3:36 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:If Washington wants to trade Beal I feel like they can get a lot better than Levert/Allen/picks. Dinwiddie is a FA agent anyway so he has little value to them.

On it's own, with zero context, this is a straight up good package for anyone in the league, sans a handful of guys like LeBron, AD, Giannis, Harden, etc. and even when guys like that are traded, it's often for only slightly better and sometimes for a lot less.

Then read between the lines, that obvious space wider then the water the Brooklyn Bridge crosses and let's just stop bs'ing and understand he wasn't going to be a Wizard past the coming season's trade deadline anyway.

Then add the context that you essentially need Beal's blessing to trade him anywhere for anything of value.
You aren't going to get some top 3 lotto team to deal their pick for him, plus future picks and other real prospects on rookie contracts unless Beal says he wants to go there. He might as well be on an expiring contract. No one wants a disgruntled star and no one is going to trade away their blue chip assets just to acquire a pissed off star and throw him on a barren roster worse than the Wizards' last season with little to no way to improve, just to watch him walk after a season or two of temper tantrum chucking.

LeVert/Allen, top 18 pick this draft, future pick(s), salary filler and possibly even Dinwiddie to a 3rd team for some sort of additional asset, or combining of pieces to create a 3rd top notch asset is a GREAT package for a guy like Beal.

Over and over and Over and OVER and OVERRRRRRR we see stars traded for solid to bad packages and yet every time everyone is in denial until it happens. I just don't get it lol. :lol:

Like AD just went for one of the best packages in recent history of a star and that's with the context they created a mockery of the process and the hindsight that Ingram is really really good. Hell, it feels like myself and like 2 posters from here(I forget who, might have even been you as one of them), were the only ones on the planet who still loved Ingram as a prospect to still come around and start legit fulfilling his potential. Most looked at that package as meh on the surface and Ingram a so-so stringbean liable to become an oft injured Rudy Gay type.

I tend to agree with this. Beal stayed with washington because he wanted to be a wiz for life. if they want to trade him, he isnt going to let them deal him anywhere. he is going to give them a list of teams.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#676 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jun 2, 2020 3:45 am

Prokorov wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:

I tend to agree with this. Beal stayed with washington because he wanted to be a wiz for life. if they want to trade him, he isnt going to let them deal him anywhere. he is going to give them a list of teams.

it will most likely be the Nets. However, as much as I would love to see an Irving/Beal/Durant trio, we would also need to obtain a solid wing defender to help overcome how awful defensively Irving and Beal would be in the backcourt.

DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#677 » by DarkXaero » Tue Jun 2, 2020 6:15 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:I do not, not in the least.

it will most likely be the Nets. However, as much as I would love to see an Irving/Beal/Durant trio, we would also need to obtain a solid wing defender to help overcome how awful defensively Irving and Beal would be in the backcourt.
According to Wizards fans, and also based on what I've seen, Beal is capable of being a pretty decent defender when he tries. He hasn't tried much this season because of his offensive responsibilities and the defensive personnel around him (terrible). I really don't think Beal is worse than Levert, Dinwiddie or Joe Harris level on defense.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#678 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jun 2, 2020 8:42 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

According to Wizards fans, and also based on what I've seen, Beal is capable of being a pretty decent defender when he tries. He hasn't tried much this season because of his offensive responsibilities and the defensive personnel around him (terrible). I really don't think Beal is worse than Levert, Dinwiddie or Joe Harris level on defense.

Well, here he won't have to shoulder a high usage on offense so he could focus on defense.

The more i think about it the more excited by the idea of adding him. That's some serious offensive fire power.

I'm not worried about depth so much. These other franchises field super teams and somehow manage to get veterans for scraps. I think Marks will be able to pull this off and field a championship level club in 2020-2021

Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,871

Post#679 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu Jun 4, 2020 9:54 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:I do not, not in the least.

Beal has been a good defender in the past. I'm not convinced he can't be good if he doesn't have to be the only scoring option on his whole team.

Still I don't think it makes much sense to put 30m into your third best player. Diminishing returns. We will have serious deficiencies elsewhere.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,366

Post#680 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Jun 5, 2020 5:12 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Well, here he won't have to shoulder a high usage on offense so he could focus on defense.

The more i think about it the more excited by the idea of adding him. That's some serious offensive fire power.

I'm not worried about depth so much. These other franchises field super teams and somehow manage to get veterans for scraps. I think Marks will be able to pull this off and field a championship level club in 2020-2021

Exactly.

There will be guys like the Morris Twins who will come here for the BAE or maybe even vet min.

Wilson Chandler is still an option. When he isn't overextended and run into the proverbial ground coming back off one of his many perpetual injuries, he's still a great 10 to 20mpg option for 50 to 60 games a season, minutes based randomly on the matchup and where his head and shot is at that night.

Depending on the trade we'd still have Dinwiddie or Prince as salary filler for a much better player as well. Not someone super valuable on paper trade-wise, but similar value to Dinwiddie or Prince respectively. Maybe someone like Otto Porter, or Terrence Ross or Aaron Gordon.

Temple is also a good defender, and again, he's more effective when his minutes are limited and he's not called on every night though.

Ibaka may come here for taxpayer's MLE.

Avery Bradley
Courtney Lee
Wes Matthews
Alec Burks
MKG
Jae Crowder
Darius Miller
RHJ
Gallo
Harkless

These guys will all likely be out there.

I also love the idea of trying to trade for a guy like Keita Bates-Diop or Jerami Grant from Denver.

How about calling up Detroit on acquiring Luke Kennard?

We should have faith in Marks getting creative and the ring chasers knocking on our door, tbh, this is exciting stuff.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.

Return to Brooklyn Nets