And1: 4,509

Re: Kings General Discussion 2019-2020 

Post#301 » by codydaze » Tue Jun 2, 2020 11:01 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
KF10 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Bittersweet.

I liked him on the broadcast. But he was awful on his radio show. He was always a mouth piece and tool for the organization.

So, who is next in line to replace Grant?

I bet we see a group for the rest of the season. Something like Jerry, Doug, Kayte, Mitch. Who knows, we might see Koz down there. It might be rough for a bit.

I’m really curious who is the long term solution though. Nostalgic players are always fun, but it’s hit or miss. Do we see Chris Webber get lured away from TNT? Probably not and I’m not even sure he’s good. I’d love to pull Garrett Temple if he was retiring. Vince Carter maybe? Probably not. Scot Pollard would be amazing!

I've been seeing Jason Ross as the name mentioned to take over as play by play guy. Webber is terrible on TNT, would not want him on our broadcast team lol. I think Doug sticks around as color commentary and they bring in someone from radio for the play by play.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#302 » by codydaze » Tue Jun 2, 2020 11:03 pm

KF10 wrote:
codydaze wrote:
KF10 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Bittersweet.

I liked him on the broadcast. But he was awful on his radio show. He was always a mouth piece and tool for the organization.

So, who is next in line to replace Grant?

As great of a play by play guy he was, he did this entirely to himself. Boogie asked him a layup of a question, all he had to do was say, "I support Black Lives Matter" and none of this would have happened. His response was totally tone deaf, especially with the timing, and it resurfaced his views on Kaepernick's protests and his defense of Donald Sterling. That right there is three strikes and you're out.

Yeah. I agree.

Barnes, Webber and Cousins pretty much called Grant a racist.

Read on Twitter

I'm not surprised tbh

To be at least a little fair to Grant, each of those three guys hate Grant down to the core lol. I do remember Garrett Temple being disappointed in Grant's comments on Kaep's protests though so I'm sure it goes beyond those three. Still, all Grant had to do was stay out of his own way and he'd still have a job right now.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#303 » by KF10 » Tue Jun 2, 2020 11:04 pm

Please don't bring any homers to the broadcasting team either. I've listened to other team's commentary and they are heavily biased towards the home team. It will get old real quick with all of the circle jerk.

What I liked about Grant and Jerry -- they were very unbiased and downright critical towards the Kings when it was necessary.

Please bring a real professional to the team.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#304 » by kalenclayton » Tue Jun 2, 2020 11:04 pm

KF10 wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:I bet we see a group for the rest of the season. Something like Jerry, Doug, Kayte, Mitch. Who knows, we might see Koz down there. It might be rough for a bit.

I’m really curious who is the long term solution though. Nostalgic players are always fun, but it’s hit or miss. Do we see Chris Webber get lured away from TNT? Probably not and I’m not even sure he’s good. I’d love to pull Garrett Temple if he was retiring. Vince Carter maybe? Probably not. Scot Pollard would be amazing!

I don't think Webber does PBP. He usually does color iirc.

My bad. I wasn’t really thinking that far into it. You are right. I wonder if they tag Gary Gerould for a season or two. I would love that. He deserves it and we know that he’s terrific at PBP. I know there would be a learning curve, but he could really thrive there.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#305 » by KF10 » Tue Jun 2, 2020 11:05 pm

codydaze wrote:To be at least a little fair to Grant, each of those three guys hate Grant down to the core lol. I do remember Garrett Temple being disappointed in Grant's comments on Kaep's protests though so I'm sure it goes beyond those three. Still, all Grant had to do was stay out of his own way and he'd still have a job right now.

I know lol

But Grant always had this mentality towards players. The "shut up and dribble" mentality. That wasn't right.

Grant refused to grow and is paying for the consequences.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,215

Post#306 » by wco81 » Tue Jun 2, 2020 11:10 pm

I'm sure if the media companies didn't fire him, the Kings would have leaned on them to do so.

Teams generally control the personnel who do the TV and radio broadcasts.

Wow interesting history of opinions he's expressed.

Must revel in taking unpopular stances.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#307 » by codydaze » Tue Jun 2, 2020 11:25 pm

KF10 wrote:
codydaze wrote:To be at least a little fair to Grant, each of those three guys hate Grant down to the core lol. I do remember Garrett Temple being disappointed in Grant's comments on Kaep's protests though so I'm sure it goes beyond those three. Still, all Grant had to do was stay out of his own way and he'd still have a job right now.

I know lol

But Grant always had this mentality towards players. The "shut up and dribble" mentality. That wasn't right.

Grant refused to grow and is paying for the consequences.

Absolutely.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,772

Post#308 » by BoogieTime » Wed Jun 3, 2020 12:24 am

I obviously think it’s terrible.

Don’t like him, but he was a top announcer

Fired for middle of the road conservative values? I hope it wasn’t the Kings or else a newfound dislike for Vivek will emerge
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#309 » by OGSactownballer » Wed Jun 3, 2020 1:20 am

BoogieTime wrote:I obviously think it’s terrible.

Fired for middle of the road conservative values? I hope it wasn’t the Kings or else a newfound dislike for Vivek will emerge

“Middle of the road conservative values”

I really hope you aren’t serious here.

His absolutely lame excuse of “I didn’t know” is a carbon copy of every rapist who ever plead innocent.

There is no place on earth for an NBA broadcaster to have not come to the understanding that what he said - to an activist African American player who he knows is volatile - was a direct insult.

He got what he deserved except the BS fact of getting to “resign” rather than be fired for cause. Because I guarantee that his contracts include clauses that allow for immediate firing for blatantly prejudicial statements like that.

The entire Sacramento area disgusts me today. Every damn Karen or Tim that called in was mouthing whitespeak platitudes about how misunderstood he was. How he made a mistake.

We always carry on about being treated like a hick town when it comes to professional sports. Well guess what folks, here’s your case in point example of why. When the majority of the fan base gets on the radio to support a guy who has ALWAYS shown a modicum of veiled prejudice in his statements throughout his career, big cities look at you a say “Hick town”.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#310 » by blind prophet » Wed Jun 3, 2020 1:35 am

We don't have anyone talented enough to do TV play by play. My guess is Koz would get the job if it is local, and it will suck.

Radio games will be fine until GG retires.

Afternoon radio will suck, but hopefully it isn't done by a company man. Grant may of been good at radio when he wasn't blowing smoke but I'm sure we can do better there.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#311 » by BoogieTime » Wed Jun 3, 2020 4:27 am

OGSactownballer wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:I obviously think it’s terrible.

“Middle of the road conservative values”

I really hope you aren’t serious here.

His absolutely lame excuse of “I didn’t know” is a carbon copy of every rapist who ever plead innocent.

There is no place on earth for an NBA broadcaster to have not come to the understanding that what he said - to an activist African American player who he knows is volatile - was a direct insult.

He got what he deserved except the BS fact of getting to “resign” rather than be fired for cause. Because I guarantee that his contracts include clauses that allow for immediate firing for blatantly prejudicial statements like that.

The entire Sacramento area disgusts me today. Every damn Karen or Tim that called in was mouthing whitespeak platitudes about how misunderstood he was. How he made a mistake.

We always carry on about being treated like a hick town when it comes to professional sports. Well guess what folks, here’s your case in point example of why. When the majority of the fan base gets on the radio to support a guy who has ALWAYS shown a modicum of veiled prejudice in his statements throughout his career, big cities look at you a say “Hick town”.

All lives matter = blatantly prejudicial?

There is a divide here as a big as the Grand Canyon, and may I suggest your biased in your views as well?

Dude just appears to me to be a type a personality that holds normal conservative values (pro law enforcement)

To those who don’t think it’s a fireable offense the area just lost a top 3 announcer and a talk show host the chops that he filled in for Rome and talked non stop Kings
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,569

Post#312 » by LightTheBeam » Wed Jun 3, 2020 5:39 am

Grant shouldnt have said that, it was clearly a setup and he should have known better and just ignored cuz.

But the reality is this is a joke.

We live in a world where a guy like Larry Baer can be charged with domestic violence and keep his job. Countless NFL players who history of domestic violence, our very own Darren Collison hit his wife and pleaded guilty only to be slapped on the wrist and completely forgotten about a year later. Tyreek hill who likely broke his 3 year old sons arm, threw hit pregnant wife down a stairs, and threatened to kill her on a voice recording, and is celebrated as a super bowl champion.

But a guy who says all lives matter (insensitive i agree, but not really racist) gets fired on the spot for fear that the team will lose support.

What does that say about us as fans? Half boycott because KAP kneels, the other half boycott because someone says "ALL LIVES MATTER". Meanwhile we forget about guys who beat women one week later because they help our team win.

Everyone on both sides needs a reality check.
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#313 » by Jkam31 » Wed Jun 3, 2020 9:04 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:Grant shouldnt have said that, it was clearly a setup and he should have known better and just ignored cuz.

We live in a world where a guy like Larry Baer can be charged with domestic violence and keep his job. Countless NFL players who history of domestic violence, our very own Darren Collison hit his wife and pleaded guilty only to be slapped on the wrist and completely forgotten about a year later. Tyreek hill who likely broke his 3 year old sons arm, threw hit pregnant wife down a stairs, and threatened to kill her on a voice recording, and is celebrated as a super bowl champion.

But a guy who says all lives matter (insensitive i agree, but not really racist) gets fired on the spot for fear that the team will lose support.

What does that say about us as fans? Half boycott because KAP kneels, the other half boycott because someone says "ALL LIVES MATTER". Meanwhile we forget about guys who beat women one week later because they help our team win.

Preach
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#314 » by BoogieTime » Wed Jun 3, 2020 5:24 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:Grant shouldnt have said that, it was clearly a setup and he should have known better and just ignored cuz.

Nicely written.

Was he fired for fear the team will lose support, or is the team taking a purposefully liberal stance?

They’ve been getting into “social issues”

I’m concerned the team is run by purposefully liberal people now inputting their own views

The bottom line is, would an average team take this measure?
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,215

Post#315 » by wco81 » Wed Jun 3, 2020 6:05 pm

Did he interview the players or need to communicate with them?

Even if he wasn't fired, maybe the players would have avoided talking to him, possibly affecting his ability to do his job.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,569

Post#316 » by LightTheBeam » Wed Jun 3, 2020 6:49 pm

BoogieTime wrote:

Nicely written.

Was he fired for fear the team will lose support, or is the team taking a purposefully liberal stance?

They’ve been getting into “social issues”

I’m concerned the team is run by purposefully liberal people now inputting their own views

The bottom line is, would an average team take this measure?

Absolutely I dont disagree. Vivek and co definitely have a liberal stance in general, but I don't think they would purposefully alienate customers. After all "Republicans buy sneakers" I think its due to the current climate. Teams react based on what is around them. Bottom line is what keeps people supporting $$$$. Right now the majority of people are supporting black lives matters due to recent event (rightfully so). So I do think most teams would have met this with some sort of discipline, maybe not firing but a leave of absence or some sort of mandatory education classes.

He supported this team for 32 years, was a mouth piece for Kings ownership and constantly defended them through nonstop bad press. The first time he messed up publicly they **** can him.

He apologized. Do they really think it would have went over bad had they enforced some sort of mandatory classes. 1-2 weeks from now nobody would even remember this story.

Meanwhile as I said, NFL/NBA players continue to beat women and the response is a slap on the wrist, and donating millions into things like the WNBA and stop domestic violence ads. Like that is great and all, but how is the punishment for this worse than the punishment for beating your wife?

I also think Webber and Barnes chiming in didn't help his cause. Grant was critical of the behavior/actions of all 3 players. He was also a company man, so when they all got traded/cut he was quick to support the team. Of course these 3 hate Grant. I can't remember how many times Grant would yell "DEMARCUS STOP COMPLAINING AND GET BACK ON DEFENSE". We all know Cuz has thin skin, so to him "Grant is racist"
SmellingColors
Pro Prospect
And1: 139

Post#317 » by SmellingColors » Thu Jun 4, 2020 9:48 pm

I agree that it seems unfair for teams to turn a blind eye to domestic violence while shining a spotlight on things like this (Luke Walton was also accused of sexual assault and the team stuck by him), but I don't think this was just about Cousins assuming Grant was racist because he had thin skin. Grant has had a few other pretty poor/possibly racist takes (Donald Sterling isn't racist because he hired black people, saying players shouldn't be protesting at work, the whole "shut up and dribble" mentality, etc.) The fact that Chris Webber said it was known who Napear is and that Cousins, Webber, and Barnes have all said something publicly tells me where there's smoke there may be fire. I've honestly raised my eyebrows a few times on his radio program and I'm not surprised by his reaction to Cousins' BLM comment. He shot himself directly in the foot during an incredibly sensitive and important time for our country. The fact that he didn't realize how "all lives matter" would be taken when he's surrounded by predominantly African-American athletes either tells me he knew how it'd be received and didn't care, or he's unaware of how that could be taken offensively and is completely off the pulse of current thought within that community. Either way, we lost an incredible play-by-play announcer (and I second KF10's hope that we don't get a homer of an announcer because it's incredibly annoying), but I'm not upset that he resigned.
King Baller
Pro Prospect
And1: 168

Post#318 » by King Baller » Mon Jun 8, 2020 3:02 pm

I think the Owners of KHTK and the Kings should have found some middle ground between firing Grant Napier and doing nothing. IMO if they had taken some time to investigate this instead of an immediate firing during a time of high emotion they would still have the Emmy award winning PBP broadcaster on staff. Perhaps he could have taken a step back and dropped the radio show and only do the play by play. Anyhow IMO Grant was made a fall guy for a mistake in judgement that really hurt no one besides himself.
"I don't want to hear what he can't do. Tell me what the player can do to help us." Bill Walsh
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#319 » by BoogieTime » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:48 am

According to Jones, Kings looking at small ball coming up with possibly Barnes at 4, Richaun at 5

For the playoff push I think the team feels it needs it’s best lineup and not focusing on developing Marvin

It seems I’ve been asking for Buddy/Bogdan to start for as long as dinosaurs roamed the free world. They are two of your best players, see if they can start before Buddy complains his way out of Sacramento

Harrison had his best statistical stints in Dallas at 4 and started at PF for team USA

Will be interesting to see how that lineup works this summer
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#320 » by kalenclayton » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:24 pm

G-MAN!!!
Read on Twitter

Return to Sacramento Kings