ImageImageImage

Woj: Pistons Begin Search for New General Manager

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 324

Re: Woj: Pistons Begin Search for New General Manager 

Post#61 » by Drwho17 » Thu Jun 4, 2020 4:40 pm

Well, I don't think they can get anybody good with Stefanski still around. Gores is in a tough spot, he tried the former player GM thing, and Dumars didn't work out, then he made the big outside hir with VG didn't work out, now he's got milktoast Stefanski he's putting his trust int. I don't think Stefanski is going to make a hire that would threaten his position within the organization, I think Chauncey/Tayshaun might be a bit of a political problem for him.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,665

Post#62 » by Invictus88 » Thu Jun 4, 2020 7:00 pm

Drwho17 wrote:Well, I don't think they can get anybody good with Stefanski still around. Gores is in a tough spot, he tried the former player GM thing, and Dumars didn't work out, then he made the big outside hir with VG didn't work out, now he's got milktoast Stefanski he's putting his trust int. I don't think Stefanski is going to make a hire that would threaten his position within the organization, I think Chauncey/Tayshaun might be a bit of a political problem for him.

Isn't it normal to have separate GM and President of basketball operations roles on NBA teams?

I'd honestly think that if the roles were clearly defined such that the GM focused on all things basketball with the team and the President focused on all of the business-related aspects with running a franchise then it would actually be an appealing situation for a new GM.

Plus, as others have pointed out, Stefanski is getting up there in years. His tenure is going to end up being short. So it could be that his initial presence will allow the GM to ease into eventually running everything; having just to worry about basketball at the start.

I honestly don't get the Stefanski hate. Through inaction and the small moves he has made he has performed light-years better than SVG and back half of Dumars' tenure. People have to be angry about something I guess? :dontknow:
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,349

Post#63 » by Billl » Fri Jun 5, 2020 1:45 pm

Most teams have a brain trust, not a one man show, for the front office. That isn't really a problem in itself. Multiple people can work together towards a common goal.

The problem has been Gores giving the brain trust a direction that had no chance of success. You can't take a mediocre, older roster and decide you want to make a playoff push. It just isn't going to work. Hopefully, he's seen the light a little bit and will start letting the management team try to build a core that has a shot at eventually competing for a championship.
Invictus88
Analyst

Post#65 » by Invictus88 » Mon Jun 8, 2020 4:56 pm

I honestly like hearing this. It's not clear to me that either has any practical experience managing a team; so the fact that they are being slotted into learning roles instead of being handed the keys to the kingdom is a good sign.

I don't know if either will accept it though.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,339

Post#66 » by flow » Mon Jun 8, 2020 6:42 pm

Invictus88 wrote:I honestly like hearing this. It's not clear to me that either has any practical experience managing a team; so the fact that they are being slotted into learning roles instead of being handed the keys to the kingdom is a good sign.

I don't know if either will accept it though.

Nothing you say here is false. But this situation is just messy. Whoever gets hired as the GM will really be the assistant gm to Ed, at least for a while. Which means whoever is hired as assistant gm will basically be a gopher/scout. Chauncey's not doing that. Neither is Tay. They look at Dumars and say, 'You trusted him and it worked out. Have to trust us, too.'

Moreover, nobody they'd target as GM would be comfortable with Chauncey or Tay being hired as basically their replacement at the same time.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,607

Post#67 » by Snakebites » Mon Jun 8, 2020 7:21 pm

Why would Chauncey want an Assistant role with us? He turned down Cleveland’s GM job. Seems like he wants the right TOP job.

We might have a shot if we were offering a proper top job to one of them, not that I’m sure that’s a good idea. This looks like we’re just trying to replace Rose with one of them. I’m not seeing the incentive, especially since we ARE looking for a top GM and appear to not be considering them. They’d want to know why, qualified or not.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#68 » by Pharaoh » Mon Jun 8, 2020 9:38 pm

Even assuming Tay or Chauncey would agree to be the assistant GM for a year or 2 who is going to take the GM job knowing you're training your own replacement?

Would be another retread for sure and then we'd have Ed & this dude training Prince or Billups!

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,441

Post#69 » by Canadafan » Mon Jun 8, 2020 10:33 pm

Chauncey as Gm. Learning under Ed. And his assistant can be whoever he wants
pistonpat
Freshman
And1: 47

Post#70 » by pistonpat » Tue Jun 9, 2020 12:07 am

This is turning into the Ed Stefanski, Asst. GM Search Version 2. What are we doing? Ed already slid himself into the de facto GM when he was supposed to be an advisor a couple years ago, but Gores is asleep at the wheel and just lets it ride. All the good candidates dropped out last time.

Now this time around, we are not getting any good candidates interested but former Pistons and a few has beens. They all know Ed will still put himself in charge of everyone and they won't have the power of a real GM. Ed has never won anywhere he has been but has experience. Evidently , this must somehow leave Gores spellbound. Weaver is a legit candidate from OKC< but there is not evidence he is interested.

The franchise has been garbage for a decade due to poor ownership and their management decisions. Gores just continues to let this sad situation repeat itself because he is unaware and detached to what is happening with smart organizations.
pistonsbball
Veteran
And1: 1,543

Post#71 » by pistonsbball » Tue Jun 9, 2020 4:23 am

I can't see Chauncey walking away from his TV job, especially not for an assistant GM job with the Pistons. The longer you're out of the league the less relevant you become, no way I'd give up his current job to join our front office. Guy probably works 15-20 hours a week and gets to spend the rest with his young family.

Pistons GM in the modern NBA is pretty much a doomed position, the only way forward is through tanking and the draft.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,441

Post#72 » by Canadafan » Tue Jun 9, 2020 12:21 pm

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2895345-report-pistons-would-welcome-chauncey-billups-reunion-in-assistant-gm-role

Hmmmm, maybe the new GM will eventually take over for whatever Ed's title is and Billups becomes GM eventually when he gains experience/proves himself worthy
DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#73 » by DCintheD » Tue Jun 9, 2020 12:35 pm

Canadafan wrote:https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2895345-report-pistons-would-welcome-chauncey-billups-reunion-in-assistant-gm-role

Hmmmm, maybe the new GM will eventually take over for whatever Ed's title is and Billups becomes GM eventually when he gains experience/proves himself worthy

If anything now is the time to hire Chauncey (or Tayshaun) as GM and let Ed groom them for a year or two. Otherwise wtf is Ed?? No need for two hires if Ed is sticking around. It just doesn’t make sense. I don’t accept this role if I’m Chauncey or Tayshaun if another GM is hired.
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,927

Post#74 » by Uncle Mxy » Tue Jun 9, 2020 6:41 pm

A GM who can't name their coach isn't a GM.
Invictus88
Analyst

Post#75 » by Invictus88 » Tue Jun 9, 2020 10:35 pm

Uncle Mxy wrote:A GM who can't name their coach isn't a GM.

I mean, on the surface this statement is correct.

But where are people getting these magical bits of info that make them state with certainty that this is the case?

Is there a news source somewhere that I'm missing?
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,786

Post#76 » by DBC10 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:58 am

Canadafan wrote:https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2895345-report-pistons-would-welcome-chauncey-billups-reunion-in-assistant-gm-role

Genuine question, but when's the last time anything like this happened within the same org? A mere assistant manager groomed for X team and then said X team eventually replaces the incumbent with assistant after learning so much.

I legitimately can't recall in the last decade or so. What usually ends up happening is they become groomed and either A. Flame out and or gets blamed/fired. Or B. They use teams like us as a way to leverage their actual dream job in a much more appealing market.

I'm just highly skeptical Tom/Ed/whoever/bag of coke would even let a traditional process like that to flow through, much less the patience required.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,927

Post#77 » by Uncle Mxy » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:50 am

Invictus88 wrote:
Uncle Mxy wrote:A GM who can't name their coach isn't a GM.

I mean, on the surface this statement is correct.

But where are people getting these magical bits of info that make them state with certainty that this is the case?

Is there a news source somewhere that I'm missing?

From the Woj-bomb:
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29222943/sources-pistons-starting-search-gm-work-ed-stefanski
The new GM will work closely with Stefanski and coach Dwane Casey on personnel matters

Now "work with" could be a euphemism for "work to move Casey to the next phase of his career, if necessary".
But, at the face of it, it doesn't sound like the GM immediately get hiring/firing privs on Casey or anyone else.
Thus, not a GM. Or at least on this board, not a RealGM. :)
detroitKG
RealGM
And1: 5,509

Post#78 » by detroitKG » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:02 am

Read on Twitter
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,019

Post#79 » by bstein14 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:16 am

Thunder have been garbage. They drafted 3 MVP players in Durant, Westbrook and Harden and they have screwed everything up since. Somehow they even managed to lose the Paul George trade they were praised for. Oladipo and Sabonis both turned out to be young all-star caliber players.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#80 » by Pharaoh » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:57 am

bstein14 wrote:Thunder have been garbage. They drafted 3 MVP players in Durant, Westbrook and Harden and they have screwed everything up since. Somehow they even managed to lose the Paul George trade they were praised for. Oladipo and Sabonis both turned out to be young all-star caliber players.
Ownership had something to do with messing up the KD, Russ, Harden, Ibaka squad.

At the time I doubt anyone thought they lost the PG trade too.

At the end of the day he's served a decent apprenticeship with the Thunder, who seem to have a bright future despite losing or trading KD, Russ AND PG over the last few years years.

How much did he really have to do with any of that though?

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app

Return to Detroit Pistons