ImageImageImage

Marcus Smart Value

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,210

Re: Marcus Smart Value 

Post#21 » by Parliament10 » Thu Jun 4, 2020 8:49 am

Cuban Pete wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Bimbo_Coles wrote:There has been talk of the Celtics looking to drop salary once Tatum signs his extension, and the Warriors are a potential buyer. What do you think it would cost?

Even in a bad draft, #1 overall pick seems too steep, so I think a 3-way trade could work.

Would the celts be looking for a pick, or more established player? What positions would you target?

PASS.

It woud take a whole lot more to pry Smart from our hands.

All that grit and toughness (when he's not injured and battling the his weight) for only $12mil per, I'm surprised Angie's phone isn't ringing off the hook.

Seriously, I'd rather have Bruce Brown (or a close copy) coming off the bench for a quarter of the cost.

Smart is the Quintessential 6th-Man that you want filling in for your Starters.
In fact, this season he's filled in so much, that he's considered a Starter by NBA Rules.

Bruce Brown would be nice, behind Smart on the Depth Chart.
But the Celtics are perfectly fine with Smart. -- B. Brown and the Pistons are far from the Playoffs.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,528

Post#22 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Jun 4, 2020 11:56 pm

Smart's leadership is really, really needed on this particular team. The roster is full of nice guys who can be persuaded to do all the right things, but there isn't a lot of fanatical devotion to consistent effort. Jaylen is a natural charismatic leader, but his interests go well beyond basketball. Ditto Enes, actually. Jayson still needs to be led. Kemba inspires niceness in others more than he does fanatical competitiveness. Etc.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
claycarver
Sixth Man
And1: 2,099

Post#23 » by claycarver » Fri Jun 5, 2020 1:07 am

Only Tatum on that rookie deal has more value relative to his contract. Moving him to save money makes zero sense.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#24 » by Ernest » Sun Jun 7, 2020 6:02 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:I think for Boston to deal Smart they'd have to be getting a better, more impactful player. A draft pick could work in theory if they love a guy. But there's the risk there of projecting how good the player actually is and then the development time it takes to get him there. More likely in the event that Smart is dealt would be Smart packaged with young player(s) and/or pick(s) for a proven NBA player.

Ultimately I just don't envision a scenario where dealing Smart would make sense.

BINGO! I think we see how good Smart is and I think Ainge does too. I'd bet if all GMs made a secret list rating every player, Ainge has Smart ranked around 20 higher than most GMs, so I don't see a trade. Also Smart is on small money and so will Tatum too really. The first max contract a player gets is nothing like those ones a 30+ year old can get.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,603

Post#25 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:25 am

He's a younger, healthier, taller stronger version of Patrick Beverly. He doesn't shoot quite as well, but Smart is improving. I don't know how to place a value on the fact that he's the heart and soul of this Celtics team and defines its personality. Maybe someone else could assume that role if Smart were gone-- but maybe not.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,011

Post#26 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:45 am

Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#27 » by sully00 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:49 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:Would anyone trade Smart in a deal for John Collins? Obviously filler can be added if need be, but it feels like Smart would be an ideal fit next to Trae and that Collins would be a pretty great fit with our current team.

I don't think so. Not that I don't want to make a move for Collins I do just that making that move with any other player than Hayward basically means you going to lose Hayward as well, the math just becomes crazy. Smart's contract and ability to defend multiple positions as well as start or come off the bench make him too valuable to what the C's are trying to do.

Boston can just hold serve on this and stick with Hayward and figure out the money. Or you can look to move him in a deal for a player like Collins and turn Hayward's 35 mil in 25 mil. But you can't turn Smart's 12.5 mil into Collins 25 mil and keep Haywards 35 mil make sense?
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,528

Post#28 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:20 pm

Old friend KP with a good line about "heart and soul of the team" Marcus:

“You see him in a fight with a bear, you better help the bear”

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2020/06/27/paul-pierce-kendrick-perkins-celtics-bucks-eastern-conference
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,210

Post#29 » by Parliament10 » Fri Jul 3, 2020 7:30 pm

Read on Twitter

Smart's gotta make All-Defensive Team again.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,011

Post#30 » by ConstableGeneva » Fri Jul 3, 2020 7:47 pm

1st Team All-Defense for me. Most versatile defender in the league at his size. Can guard guys 1 thru 5. Takes on the all-star assignments at critical moments. His block rate this year is at a career-best. He also seems to foul and flop less. It's scary that he's still improving on the defensive end. Perfect guy to have too for our super-switchy scheme.

If I'm Grant Williams, I'd hang out more around the Cobra. He's paved the way to having a fruitful multi-year NBA career as a key rotational player.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#31 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Sat Jul 4, 2020 12:22 am

If Marcus is ever traded, I will be upset REGARDLESS of who we get back. I don't care if we are getting back Larry Bird or Michael Jordan in their prime. I will still be upset. I will protest outside of the Celtics practice facility with the fervor of Floridians marching against not wanting to wear a mask.

I love Marcus Smart. I trust Marcus Smart. I would let Marcus Smart raise my kids if I were to pass away suddenly. I want Marcus Smart to retire a Celtic.

Return to Boston Celtics