ImageImage

Playoff bound Hornets?

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,227

Playoff bound Hornets? 

Post#1 » by amcoolio » Tue May 26, 2020 8:36 pm

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29224715/mark-cuban-suggests-play-tournament-final-2-seeds-nba-playoffs

In this scenario we could play ourselves into the playoffs since we are 10th in the East
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,079

Re: Playoff bound Hornets? 

Post#2 » by JDR720 » Tue May 26, 2020 10:29 pm

If we make the playoffs after all of the stuff thats been going on, it'll be hilarious. I sort of want it to happen.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,535

Post#3 » by HornetJail » Tue May 26, 2020 11:45 pm

imagine all the years we missed it with Kemba, when we thought we'd at least have a chance to make it a series with some team, but we just couldn't get over the hump. Out of all years, why this one? Too funny
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,146

Post#4 » by Braggins » Wed May 27, 2020 3:56 am

They'd probably miraculously make the playoffs and then obviously get swept by the Bucks/Lakers. Its this teams destiny to never have a good draft pick ever.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,535

Post#5 » by HornetJail » Wed May 27, 2020 11:53 am

Braggins wrote:They'd probably miraculously make the playoffs and then obviously get swept by the Bucks/Lakers. Its this teams destiny to never have a good draft pick ever.

then we better start taking pages from the Houston/Denver/Utah playbook and make savvy trades and picks over the next couple years. It can be done.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#6 » by BigSlam » Wed May 27, 2020 1:22 pm

I bet Tony Parker would be p*ssed.
B B M F 'ers
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,050

Post#7 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed Jun 3, 2020 4:38 pm

No playoffs. Seasons over.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,159

Post#8 » by Rich4114 » Wed Jun 3, 2020 4:39 pm

Welp, guess we don’t need to worry about playoffs now. Wonder how they’ll do the lottery? Does this make it so we can’t drop below 8th pick?
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,396

Post#9 » by Hornet Mania » Wed Jun 3, 2020 6:13 pm

Rich4114 wrote:Welp, guess we don’t need to worry about playoffs now. Wonder how they’ll do the lottery? Does this make it so we can’t drop below 8th pick?

I think there will be the same number of lotto teams, we're just locked into the 8th slot and can't hurt our position by winning a few games.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#10 » by 316Hornets » Wed Jun 3, 2020 11:55 pm

NBA is really busting our balls man. How do they let the 13th seed in the West keep playing but not the 10th team in the East. They better not let any of those teams in the lottery. We need some type of compensation for having such a long layoff between games.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#11 » by Snidely FC » Thu Jun 4, 2020 12:03 pm

No competitive basketball for our Hornets until December; brutal
Hornet Mania
General Manager

Post#12 » by Hornet Mania » Thu Jun 4, 2020 1:00 pm

316Hornets wrote:NBA is really busting our balls man. How do they let the 13th seed in the West keep playing but not the 10th team in the East. They better not let any of those teams in the lottery. We need some type of compensation for having such a long layoff between games.

Seems like it's all about Zion to me, then for the sake of not being too obvious a few tweaks were made to get us where we are today.

The league wanted to make sure the Pelicans, and to a lesser extent the Blazers, had a shot to get in the playoffs over Memphis. They couldn't just say 'we'd rather have Zion in the playoffs' so they had to act like it was really about giving all the teams on the bubble a shot.

Initially the reports claimed the league's preference was just 20 teams (16 current playoff teams + POR/NOP/SAC/SA) but I'm sure the East franchises raised a stink that this was obviously favoritism towards the West. So the league compromised a bit, threw in the Wizards since they're 9th seed in the East and because the Suns are technically 1.5 games ahead of the Wizards they got thrown in too for the sake of consistency.

I'd bet good money that if Memphis was 9th and New Orleans was 8th on the day of the league shutdown we would be going straight to the playoffs, maybe with a few tuneup games that didn't count beforehand.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,159

Post#13 » by Rich4114 » Thu Jun 4, 2020 5:15 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:
316Hornets wrote:NBA is really busting our balls man. How do they let the 13th seed in the West keep playing but not the 10th team in the East. They better not let any of those teams in the lottery. We need some type of compensation for having such a long layoff between games.

Seems like it's all about Zion to me, then for the sake of not being too obvious a few tweaks were made to get us where we are today.

The league wanted to make sure the Pelicans, and to a lesser extent the Blazers, had a shot to get in the playoffs over Memphis. They couldn't just say 'we'd rather have Zion in the playoffs' so they had to act like it was really about giving all the teams on the bubble a shot.

Initially the reports claimed the league's preference was just 20 teams (16 current playoff teams + POR/NOP/SAC/SA) but I'm sure the East franchises raised a stink that this was obviously favoritism towards the West. So the league compromised a bit, threw in the Wizards since they're 9th seed in the East and because the Suns are technically 1.5 games ahead of the Wizards they got thrown in too for the sake of consistency.

I'd bet good money that if Memphis was 9th and New Orleans was 8th on the day of the league shutdown we would be going straight to the playoffs, maybe with a few tuneup games that didn't count beforehand.

This wouldn't surprise me and if it is the case, I am rooting for Memphis to storm through the West. I understand it is really unfair to the top teams or teams that had momentum before all of this started, but the reality is the league and teams will be different when it starts back up. It's practically been the amount of time that a normal off-season is. I think the best way to have handled this would've been a one and done 32 team tournament that gives people what they missed with March Madness while still crowning an NBA champion and then giving the league the ability to still start around when they would've or maybe at worst a month later. Think of what it would've done to have an NBA tournament and a model for the future. Damn that would've been fun and given every teams fans something to watch and root for. Now as usual, we suck wind and on top of that end up picking 8th or 9th again.
bravor
Starter
And1: 736

Post#14 » by bravor » Thu Jun 4, 2020 5:21 pm

Will they hold a lottery for next draft and if so, when ? No matter what, from the nba board decision i assume it means that the Hornets 1st cannot be worst than 7th, right?
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#15 » by UNCNYC » Thu Jun 4, 2020 6:20 pm

I think what they should do is come back with summer league rules like they do for the vegas summer league. They should allow every team to play around 10 games each and then have a single elimination tournament which would include every team.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
SteveMorrison15
Bench Warmer
And1: 51

Post#16 » by SteveMorrison15 » Fri Jun 5, 2020 1:42 am

Fan perspective v.s. Logic Perspective I do prefer to watch a game if Zion is in it for the pure Blake Griffin freak-ness is involved. Much like the Happy Gilmore (he gets last place but attracts the most eyes) but for the teams like Memphis that have played well to get to a "potential" Playoff spot I think the 8 and 8 should stay the same. So change my online handle to Natalie Imbruglia because I am clearly TORN.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,520

Post#17 » by Bassman » Fri Jun 5, 2020 2:09 am

Well that was a quick exit!

Agree we should be guaranteed no worse than 8th in lottery. For teams not making this playoff format, draw between them for pick selection 1 thru 8, then place remaining teams based on final records.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
Hornet Mania
General Manager

Post#18 » by Hornet Mania » Fri Jun 5, 2020 10:07 am

It sounds like MJ was a big influence on the league deciding against a group stage or other major playoff overhaul.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29269506/adam-silver-pondering-older-coaches-bench-nba-returns

"Once the playoffs start, and this was a point made by Michael Jordan, whose team is not one of the 22 teams [that will play in Orlando], but he is clearly the most respected voice in the room when it comes to basketball. He felt it was very important that after we established the 16 teams, we not get gimmicky. Because there were a lot of proposals on the table to do unique tournaments and do pool play like you see in international competition. And we took many of those proposals very seriously.

"But, ultimately, I agreed with Michael. There's so much chaos in the world right now, even before the racial unrest we are experiencing right now, that let's come as close to normal as we can. And that is top eight in the West, top eight in the East, playing four rounds of seven games. So that is what we intend to do, and our goal is to crown the champion."

I think he was right about that. There will be less asterisk talk if the format sticks as close to normal as possible.
-Ian-
Analyst
And1: 849

Post#19 » by -Ian- » Fri Jun 5, 2020 12:04 pm

MJ/Hornets better be compensated through the draft lottery for being left out.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,517

Post#20 » by LofJ » Fri Jun 5, 2020 1:39 pm

-Ian- wrote:MJ/Hornets better be compensated through the draft lottery for being left out.

I want Anthony Edwards. This team needs a player that can bring excitement and score. It's time for the league to stop **** on this franchise and give us something.

Return to Charlotte Hornets