ImageImageImage

2019-20 season reboot - 8 game reg. Season and playoffs

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,000

2019-20 season reboot - 8 game reg. Season and playoffs 

Post#1 » by eyeatoma » Fri Jun 5, 2020 1:39 am

Surprised there isn't a dedicated thread for this. Now that we have an official restart date how do people like our chances?

Our schedule is okay, so we should be able to stay where we are or move to 5th. Fourth is a strech but may be possible if Miami starts out slow.

Bodner had a good article on the Athletic today.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,119

Re: 2019-20 season reboot - 8 game reg. Season and playoffs 

Post#2 » by Arsenal » Fri Jun 5, 2020 3:18 am

Prefer 5th. I think we can hang w/MIL in the 2nd round on a neutral site.

More worried about our OKC pick. Hopefully they don't tank to keep it.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,416

Post#3 » by 76ciology » Fri Jun 5, 2020 5:55 am

This is like the 6th season of the House of Cards when Kevin Spacey left the show but they need to close out the series.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,811

Post#4 » by kriss73 » Fri Jun 5, 2020 12:02 pm

Our calendar will look like this:

Game 1: Indiana Pacers
Game 2: Washington Wizards
Game 3: Toronto Raptors
Game 4: Phoenix Suns
Game 5: Portland Trail Blazers
Game 6: Houston Rockets
Game 7: Washington Wizards
Game 8: Orlando Magic

I can't see any reason for the Wiz to win a game in this portion of the season: PO are a long stretch and winning will only worsen their odds in the lottery.

We're definetely going to lose that OKC's pick.
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#5 » by eyeatoma » Fri Jun 5, 2020 12:49 pm

Double post
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#6 » by eyeatoma » Fri Jun 5, 2020 12:49 pm

76ciology wrote:This is like the 6th season of the House of Cards when Kevin Spacey left the show but they need to close out the series.
Huh?

76ciology
RealGM

Post#7 » by 76ciology » Fri Jun 5, 2020 5:32 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
76ciology wrote:This is like the 6th season of the House of Cards when Kevin Spacey left the show but they need to close out the series.
Huh?

This is like house of cards without kevin spacey. They should just forego this season but they just need closure.

Just my take and who knows.. maybe this turns out to be one heck of a playoff and championship run
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#8 » by eyeatoma » Fri Jun 5, 2020 6:08 pm

76ciology wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
Huh?

This is like house of cards without kevin spacey. They should just forego this season but they just need closure.

Just my take and who knows.. maybe this turns out to be one heck of a playoff and championship run
Oh lol... still interesting.

kingerzz
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#9 » by kingerzz » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:53 pm

In my opinion we have no real incentive to win any of these games apart from team moral and confidence. However, I think this would be superficial anyway given the nature of the re-start and the lack of incentives for teams to win. I think we should try to focus on maintaining the 6th seed as the priority and these are my reasons why;

1. I don't think it matters drastically if we play Miami or Boston in the first round (Indiana is unlikely). You could argue that we match up better against Boston as our regular season indicates and the difficulty Boston faces matching up against Embiid.

2. Home court is irrelevant as all games are played at a neutral venue.

3. We should be looking to maximise the court time for Milton, Simmons, Richardson, Harris & Embiid to build chemistry as this lineup hasn't played together and is likely to be one of the most used in the playoffs.

4. We need to manage the time of the core players to ensure they are ready for the playoffs but minimise risk of injury. This can also have the added benefit of giving minutes to the rotational players to get a better indication of who's going to be in the playoff rotation.

5. I don't agree we want to be playing Milwaukee in the second round instead of the third if given the choice. I think the more time our starting five can gel before facing Milwaukee the better. If we lose to Boston or Toronto, let's be honest we weren't beating Milwaukee anyway. There is also the remote possibility Milwaukee lose to Miami in the second round.

6. The OKC pick is more likely to convey. As it currently stand the OKC picks is at 22 which mean OKC can only fall behind 1 more team before we "lose" that pick. The optimal win number for us IMO is the maximum amount that still keeps us below both OKC and Indiana. The current standings that are relevant to this are below;

- Heat (41-24)
- OKC (40-24)
- Houston (40-24)
- Indiana (39-26)
- 76ers (39-26)
- Dallas (40-27)

Be interested to hear others thoughts on the above.
ConstableChaos
Junior
And1: 205

Post#10 » by ConstableChaos » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:42 am

8 games for Simmons to practice shooting.

Only shot Philly have of a ring is this. I'm not holding my breath
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,898

Post#11 » by kuclas » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:03 pm

It takes Embiid 4-5 games just to get back into shape. Honestly this is our best shot of having a healthy Embiid for the playoffs. However. I wouldn’t be shocked if he gets injured game 7-8. Just the way Embiid injury history has gone.

Simmons I’m actually even more concerned with the back injury recurring. These “medical management” back injury can only Delay the inevitable back surgery. He’s had 4 plus months and if it recurs. He’s looking at back surgery and out most of next year.

I don’t care who we play. It’s neutral court. No excuses. Everyone is healthy for now. The first 65 games meant nothing with this being neutral court.

The sixers got off the season in style before the KAT/Embiid fight and the injuries to multiple players set in.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#12 » by 76ciology » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:48 pm

“No basketball until we get this things resolved” - Dwight Howard

So are they pushing it thru?
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,744

Post#13 » by Negrodamus » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:50 pm

76ciology wrote:“No basketball until we get this things resolved” - Dwight Howard

I imagine there are too many who want to start it back up compared to the few against it.

Honestly, I don't understand the sentiment around this distracting from the movement. If anything, right now is the time to make basketball THE platform to fight racism, imo. There will not be a loud dissenting voice against players kneeling or protesting in any way compared to Kaepernick in 2016 and everyone will be watching since it will be the only sport on.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#14 » by 76ciology » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:34 am

Negrodamus wrote:
76ciology wrote:“No basketball until we get this things resolved” - Dwight Howard

I imagine there are too many who want to start it back up compared to the few against it.

Honestly, I don't understand the sentiment around this distracting from the movement. If anything, right now is the time to make basketball THE platform to fight racism, imo. There will not be a loud dissenting voice against players kneeling or protesting in any way compared to Kaepernick in 2016 and everyone will be watching since it will be the only sport on.

I think some view that not playing is sort of a lockout.

Overall, based on history, sports are made for distracting these type of uprising.

Just so weird if there will be some players on some teams who will opt to sit this one out and they still try to continue the this
76ciology
RealGM

Post#15 » by 76ciology » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:58 pm

76ciology wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Overall, based on history, sports are made for distracting these type of uprising.

Just so weird if there will be some players on some teams who will opt to sit this one out and they still try to continue the this

NBA commissioner Adam Silver says that players won't be breaching their contracts if they choose not to play the rest of this season and outlines how the league plans to keep everyone safe.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,744

Post#16 » by Negrodamus » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:52 pm

76ciology wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

This isn't like other protests. Additionally, it's naive to think a couple hours of basketball on some nights is going to end the movement. If NBA players want to encourage people to continue protesting until meaningful change occurs, I cannot imagine the NBA will interfere with that messaging.

Many places are still heavily in quarantine and practicing social distancing. It isn't like everyone can just "move on" from this movement and go about their normal lives. There's some serious teeth with this movement. Sports won't change that.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#17 » by 76ciology » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:06 am

Negrodamus wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

This isn't like other protests. Additionally, it's naive to think a couple hours of basketball on some nights is going to end the movement. If NBA players want to encourage people to continue protesting until meaningful change occurs, I cannot imagine the NBA will interfere with that messaging.

Many places are still heavily in quarantine and practicing social distancing. It isn't like everyone can just "move on" from this movement and go about their normal lives. There's some serious teeth with this movement. Sports won't change that.

We’ll never know.

But seeing Kyrie on the court and seeing Kyrie at the streets, you tend to be in the house and not at the streets if you see Kyrie on the court than at the street.

In our country, we have this “Manny Pacquiao Phenomenon”, were the streets will be empty and there will be literally 0 crime whenever Pacquiao has a match.

Going back to ancient rome, the romans build the coliseum to neutralize the protests or uprising. Thus “feed them bread and circus”.

Not applicable for everyone. But surely applicable for a lot and it’s been tried and tested throughout history
76ciology
RealGM

Post#18 » by 76ciology » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:07 am

Now kyrie is saying they want to have their own league.

Oh okay..
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,536

Post#19 » by SixthStreet » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:55 pm

I'm of the opinion that it's stupid to restart the season at this point and that $$$ is the only reason both parties are doing this, along with LeBron not willing to give up a chance at another title for his resume in the twilight of his career. His public silence on both health and social policies indicates to me he's wielding his considerable power behind the scenes to make sure the season finishes.

I reserve the right to change my mind if the Sixers win the championship.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers