Image ImageImage Image

Woj: Bulls among non playoff teams considering a short summer league

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,936
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Woj: Bulls among non playoff teams considering a short summer league 

Post#1 » by MalagaBulls » Sat Jun 6, 2020 8:38 pm

Discuss

Read on Twitter
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,534

Re: Woj: Bulls among non playoff teams considering a short summer league 

Post#2 » by Dominator83 » Sat Jun 6, 2020 8:42 pm

Hell yes! I'll take it. Coaching situation may still be a bit awkward though. Maybe since it will be meaningless games, they might just let Jimbo coach so they can then tell J.R. "see, we gave him a chance"
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#3 » by Chi town » Sat Jun 6, 2020 8:51 pm

AK has brought back Loesner as an assistant and he was the HC of the WC Bulls. He could fill in.

Fleming and AK are close. He could fill in too.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,534

Post#4 » by Dominator83 » Sat Jun 6, 2020 9:27 pm

Chi town wrote:AK has brought back Loesner as an assistant and he was the HC of the WC Bulls. He could fill in.

Fleming and AK are close. He could fill in too.

Yea I would definitely go that route over Jimbo. For someone like Fleming, Even if he knows it's a short temporary gig, he would probably still value the experience under his belt
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
SHO'NUFF
Head Coach
And1: 2,154

Post#5 » by SHO'NUFF » Sun Jun 7, 2020 2:05 am

A 16 game summer league tournament would be fun between the 8 teams. Top 4 teams would play single elimination playoffs until there is one winner. It would have no effect in draft placement.
#BullsFansLivesMatter Image
JOHN
General Manager
And1: 90

Post#6 » by JOHN » Sun Jun 7, 2020 2:52 am

How the mighty have fallen....
This is fhe equivalent of ManUnited playing in a competition worse than the Europa League....
While we are at it....why not take the team to Germany and have it play there in the domestic league...it will be more competetive
We all know what summer league is....
Only Mokoka will play
Remember remember the 1st of April.......
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,213

Post#7 » by Red8911 » Sun Jun 7, 2020 4:22 am

These 8 teams are just trying to find a way to make some tv money they lost but this seems pointless if they do it. Players aren’t going to care and fans won’t either. It really sucks that the Bulls won’t be playing any game till December, it’s really bad for our players but again I don’t think this type of summer league will really do any anything
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,060

Post#8 » by MrSparkle » Sun Jun 7, 2020 4:46 am

I'd dig a short and sweet 8-team tournament with a cash prize and silly token cup. Leave the regular season/lotto records as were. I'd focus on making it as weird, unexpected, competitive and fun as possible. Adopt a mini FIBA cup format.

- 2 warm-up exhibition games.

- Randomize into 2 groups of four; 3 group stage games; bottom two in each group get dumped.

- One and done: semi-finals and the big loser-cup final.

Total of 5-7 games for each team. I think it'd be a fun and harmless tourny. Possible scenarios:

Trae vs Curry shoot-out
Bulls vs Knicks (always fun no matter how bad the teams are)
MJ Hornets vs Reinsdorf Bulls
K Love vs Timberwolves

It'd give the giant markets of NY, GS and CHI all extra reason to tune into the NBA.
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,049

Post#9 » by erlim » Sun Jun 7, 2020 5:31 am

JOHN wrote:How the mighty have fallen....
This is fhe equivalent of ManUnited playing in a competition worse than the Europa League....
While we are at it....why not take the team to Germany and have it play there in the domestic league...it will be more competetive
We all know what summer league is....
Only Mokoka will play

Not Germany, but if the Bulls as currently constructed played in Liga ACB, I’m sure they would also miss the playoffs.
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#10 » by TheFinishSniper » Sun Jun 7, 2020 2:53 pm

Bulls should try organize games around the world. Mostly in Europe when corona situation is handled 1000000x betters than in US, And play against better competition than whatever this "summer league" should be. Maybe even try get some TV money and profit as global brand.
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 737

Post#11 » by Hold That » Sun Jun 7, 2020 3:17 pm

If they are hosting all lottery teams then the winner of the tournament should gain the best lottery odds. Runner up should be in the top 4 off lottery odds as well.. If you don’t win then you keep your same odds. Which the two currrent bottom teams would still have high odds since the top 4 in the current draft all have the same percentage..

Playing 7-8 games really won’t do much for these young players anyway. If we want to hide trying to make the most money they can during this pandemic under the guise of player development for the younger players then atleast make these games meaningful.
Lunartic
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,283

Post#12 » by Lunartic » Sun Jun 7, 2020 5:11 pm

Definitely make the reward better odds for the 1-3 picks, it's the only way to actually make it competitive and rewards teams that don't just flat out tank.

Unfortunately, the Warriors are likely to win the tourny.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,895

Post#13 » by meekrab » Mon Jun 8, 2020 7:54 pm

Hold That wrote:If they are hosting all lottery teams then the winner of the tournament should gain the best lottery odds.

This will never happen, for obvious reasons.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,166

Post#14 » by HomoSapien » Mon Jun 8, 2020 8:19 pm

This summer league would be with our regular roster, right? Not just a bunch of people trying to compete for a roster spot?
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,807

Post#15 » by kulaz3000 » Tue Jun 9, 2020 12:02 am

Hopefully by the time this happens, we get in the new head coach to get his legs underneath him, and starts building relationships with some of our players.
Why so serious?
JohnnyTapwater
Analyst
And1: 1,585

Post#16 » by JohnnyTapwater » Tue Jun 9, 2020 12:40 am

Yeah, I like a lotto team tournament.

The more games you win (as a lower seed), the more your odds of having a top 4 or the overall 1 increases.
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#17 » by TheStig » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:40 pm

MrSparkle wrote:I'd dig a short and sweet 8-team tournament with a cash prize and silly token cup. Leave the regular season/lotto records as were. I'd focus on making it as weird, unexpected, competitive and fun as possible. Adopt a mini FIBA cup format.

- Randomize into 2 groups of four; 3 group stage games; bottom two in each group get dumped.

Total of 5-7 games for each team. I think it'd be a fun and harmless tourny. Possible scenarios:

Trae vs Curry shoot-out
K Love vs Timberwolves

It'd give the giant markets of NY, GS and CHI all extra reason to tune into the NBA.

I don't think any one would care to be honest. Is anyone going to watch this with the playoffs going on? The only break isn't until mid October.
MikeDC
Analyst
And1: 1,917

Post#18 » by MikeDC » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:48 pm

TheStig wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:I'd dig a short and sweet 8-team tournament with a cash prize and silly token cup. Leave the regular season/lotto records as were. I'd focus on making it as weird, unexpected, competitive and fun as possible. Adopt a mini FIBA cup format.

Trae vs Curry shoot-out
K Love vs Timberwolves

I don't think any one would care to be honest. Is anyone going to watch this with the playoffs going on? The only break isn't until mid October.

They blew it by deciding not to have a play-in tournament for the final seeds of whatever the "real" playoffs are gonna be.

Nobody's going to watch this when it doesn't mean anything.

But, lots of people would have wanted to see a reasonable chance of Curry and the Warriors sneaking into the playoffs along with the Chicago, NY and Atlanta markets getting some excitement.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,060

Post#19 » by MrSparkle » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:02 pm

TheStig wrote:

Trae vs Curry shoot-out
K Love vs Timberwolves

To each their own. I think it’d be a short and entertaining summer event. Some light competitive betting and drinking games. A chance to test out the Cup style playoff bracket. One and done tournies are a blast regardless of the stakes. Kind of a shame we never experience that phenomena in the NBA.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,699

Post#20 » by dougthonus » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:49 pm

HomoSapien wrote:This summer league would be with our regular roster, right? Not just a bunch of people trying to compete for a roster spot?

That's how I read it.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter

Return to Chicago Bulls