ImageImageImageImageImage

WARRIORS are willing to pay while still in the Championship window

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

WARRIORS are willing to pay while still in the Championship window 

Post#1 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jun 7, 2020 3:11 pm

It's so encouraging to have the ownership willing to do what it takes in regards to winning while the core is in their prime.

It still remains to be seen if they follow through during this difficult time. But so far I have no reason to doubt them.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/warriors/article/Warriors-offseason-primer-What-must-Golden-15321341.php
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
BballIntellect
Junior
And1: 151

Re: WARRIORS are willing to pay while still in the Championship window 

Post#2 » by BballIntellect » Sun Jun 7, 2020 3:47 pm

Good to see. Hopefully they are willing to use the TPE.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,181

Post#3 » by xdrta+ » Sun Jun 7, 2020 3:49 pm

He mentions Rudy Gay. I wouldn't mind Gay if they could get him for a couple of 2nd round picks.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,793

Post#4 » by cdubbz » Sun Jun 7, 2020 3:54 pm

Management is smart. We won't get a group like this maybe ever again.

A 4th championship and potentially 5th championship is possible especially with this year and next year's draft picks.

The stars around the league are either too young (Luka, Trae, Zion, Morant) or we guys we already know we can beat in Kawhi, PG13, Harden & Russ, Lebron. Would love to pounce on the league for two more Championships
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#5 » by Little Digger » Sun Jun 7, 2020 4:23 pm

I like it and believe it’s true Lacob and the boys will go balls out.

But I’m not a believer in Connor’s “league sources”..He’s a young Tim Kamikaze

Oh and the NBA is an association not a league...So where is his source ? In the NFL? MLB? 20,000 leagues under the sea?
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
The Maestro
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Post#6 » by The Maestro » Sun Jun 7, 2020 4:49 pm

This is great news. Trade 2020 pick and Wiggins for Simmons, use 2021 pick to trade for Oubre and sign Gasol. Plan the parade.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#7 » by wco81 » Sun Jun 7, 2020 6:23 pm

What else are the Warriors going to say?

They paid Steph, Klay and Draymond, would have paid KD too.

But they also have to fill that Chase Center too, starting next season.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,578

Post#8 » by HiRez » Sun Jun 7, 2020 7:07 pm

The Maestro wrote:This is great news. Trade 2020 pick and Wiggins for Simmons, use 2021 pick to trade for Oubre and sign Gasol. Plan the parade.

Even if Simmons is available, I suspect he would cost both FRPs (2020 + 2021 via MIN) to acquire. If he's available for only Wiggins + 2020 FRP, that would be a real steal. Maybe there's some middle ground where they'd accept Wiggins + 2020 FRP + our 2021 FRP (not Minnesota's). But in any case, I don't expect he'd come cheap.
wco81
RealGM

Post#9 » by wco81 » Sun Jun 7, 2020 7:15 pm

HiRez wrote:
The Maestro wrote:This is great news. Trade 2020 pick and Wiggins for Simmons, use 2021 pick to trade for Oubre and sign Gasol. Plan the parade.

Even if Simmons is available, I suspect he would cost both FRPs (2020 + 2021) to acquire. If he's available for only Wiggins + 2020 FRP, that would be a real steal.

Of course Philly is going to try to maximize the return.

But you can argue that Wiggins is a better fit with Embiid than with Simmons, unless Simmons develops a consistent jump shot, including out to 3-point range.

Embiid and Simmons are two of the top 20 players in the NBA but they've had 52 and 51 win seasons, both ending in the second round and so far this year, a lower winning percentage than those 2 previous seasons.

They might break the trend during the regular season, especially with this long layoff, and actually bust past the second round.

Or they might not.

So they have two key players on max second contracts who are both very young, 26 and 24. But the team may already have hit their ceiling with these two as the core.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,656

Post#10 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon Jun 8, 2020 2:52 am

NBA Dynasty rank
1 Russell Celtics
2A and 2b, Mikan Lakers and Jordan Bulls
4,5,6, and 7 in a arguable order but the Curry Warriors are probably 7 for now
Magic Lakers, Shaq Lakers, Duncan Spurs, Curry Warriors.
8th Bird Celtics
Then the repeat champs, Kobe-Gasol Lakers, LeBron Heat, Bad Boy Pistons and Hakeem Rockets.

If some future team gets 3 championships in 4 years the 73 win season tie breaker goes to the Warriors
One more championship for the Warriors in 2021 would make a case for putting the Warriors 4th instead of 7th.
So spend the money.
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Post#11 » by Flash Falcon X » Mon Jun 8, 2020 2:21 pm

The way their 2019 championship run ended due to injury, and this season being wasted due to injury, you can definitely bet that the Warriors are dying to get back on top. Whatever it takes.
#DubNation
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#12 » by cdubbz » Mon Jun 8, 2020 3:55 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:NBA Dynasty rank
1 Russell Celtics
2A and 2b, Mikan Lakers and Jordan Bulls
4,5,6, and 7 in a arguable order but the Curry Warriors are probably 7 for now
Magic Lakers, Shaq Lakers, Duncan Spurs, Curry Warriors.
8th Bird Celtics
Then the repeat champs, Kobe-Gasol Lakers, LeBron Heat, Bad Boy Pistons and Hakeem Rockets.

If some future team gets 3 championships in 4 years the 73 win season tie breaker goes to the Warriors
One more championship for the Warriors in 2021 would make a case for putting the Warriors 4th instead of 7th.
So spend the money.

A championship in 2021 or 2022 would put the Curry Dynasty over the 3peat Laker dynasty for longevity.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#13 » by cdubbz » Mon Jun 8, 2020 3:59 pm

If the Warriors want to continue building for the post Curry years we can't trade those two picks unless it's for a young superstar imo.

I would want to keep the train rolling with upcoming stars on our team with an aging Splash bros.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,326

Post#14 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon Jun 8, 2020 6:39 pm

2020 pick and Wiggins for Simmons sounds great at first glance, but the Simmons contract might actually end up being even worse than Wiggins if Simmons never learns how to shoot. And Oubre and Gasol are pretty meh.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Post#15 » by TB » Mon Jun 8, 2020 7:10 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:2020 pick and Wiggins for Simmons sounds great at first glance, but the Simmons contract might actually end up being even worse than Wiggins if Simmons never learns how to shoot. And Oubre and Gasol are pretty meh.

I respectfully disagree with the majority of this. 8-)

Simmons is a stud. He can't shoot, I get that... but he's basically elite at everything else. Amazing facilitator, amazing defender, really efficient scorer because he doesn't try what he can't do.

It's hard to argue that Wiggins is even above average at anything.

I also disagree with Oubre. I like him more than Wiggins at basically everything other than the ability to put the ball on the floor and be a manageable shot creator in spot occasions.

If we could turn picks and wiggins into Simmons and Oubre... its a no-brainer win for the warriors.

Wiggins, 2020 1st, 2021 wolves for Simmons
TPE and future 1st (or looney) for Oubre
MLE Gasol
Hinton 2nd round

Steph / Bowman / Poole
Klay / Lee / Hinton
Simmons / Oubre / Juan
Dray / Paschall / Smiley
Gasol / Chriss / Looney

That is a really good team right there.
The Maestro
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Post#16 » by The Maestro » Mon Jun 8, 2020 7:31 pm

TB wrote:Steph / Bowman / Poole
Klay / Lee / Hinton
Simmons / Oubre / Juan
Dray / Paschall / Smiley
Gasol / Chriss / Looney

That’s the NBA champion right there. They have everything. Best defense in the league, great shooting, solid depth with the beat 6th man, superior playmaking and vets with championship experience.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,181

Post#17 » by xdrta+ » Mon Jun 8, 2020 7:42 pm

The Maestro wrote:
TB wrote:Steph / Bowman / Poole
Klay / Lee / Hinton
Simmons / Oubre / Juan
Dray / Paschall / Smiley
Gasol / Chriss / Looney

That’s the BA champion right there. They have everything. Best defensive win the league, great shooting, solid delta with the beat 6th man, superior playmaking and vets with championship experience.

Looks good on paper, but there's a lot of ifs. Maybe Gasol signs for 5 mil when he can get more elsewhere, but the biggest for me is that I don't think there's any chance the Suns give up Oubre for a future pick, which won't be very high if the W's are that good, or for a broken down Looney. If they really wanted to get rid of him, which they don't, they could get a lot more than that.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,326

Post#18 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon Jun 8, 2020 8:57 pm

TB wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:2020 pick and Wiggins for Simmons sounds great at first glance, but the Simmons contract might actually end up being even worse than Wiggins if Simmons never learns how to shoot. And Oubre and Gasol are pretty meh.

I respectfully disagree with the majority of this. 8-)

Simmons is a stud. He can't shoot, I get that... but he's basically elite at everything else. Amazing facilitator, amazing defender, really efficient scorer because he doesn't try what he can't do.

It's hard to argue that Wiggins is even above average at anything.

I also disagree with Oubre. I like him more than Wiggins at basically everything other than the ability to put the ball on the floor and be a manageable shot creator in spot occasions.

If we could turn picks and wiggins into Simmons and Oubre... its a no-brainer win for the warriors.

Wiggins, 2020 1st, 2021 wolves for Simmons
TPE and future 1st (or looney) for Oubre
MLE Gasol
Hinton 2nd round

Steph / Bowman / Poole
Klay / Lee / Hinton
Simmons / Oubre / Juan
Dray / Paschall / Smiley
Gasol / Chriss / Looney

I just associate Oubre with loser franchises and don't ever remember him actually doing anything to effect the outcome of the game in a positive manner.

I like Simmons too, but no matter how great he is at those things you mention his shooting will make us easier to defend. Also keep in mind that from this point on Wiggins is owed something like 3/90 and Simmons is 5/170. That's nothing to sneeze at.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,656

Post#19 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Tue Jun 9, 2020 7:17 pm

Because we have Dray, Simmons should be worth less to the Warriors than he is to other teams. Simmons and Dray would compliment each other on defense but on offense I don't want to play them together. Dray minus his passing skills becomes an offensive liability. It would be like playing Dray with a better version of Livingston. Dray with Iguodala was OK even though Iguodala was a passer because Iguodala was Just good enough at catch and shoot to make sagging off Iguodala a strategy that would fail more than it succeeded.

If Simmons is with Dray then Dray is primarily a screen setter. I would take Simmons if we could get him at a discount but I would not want to pay what I think other teams should be willing to pay for Simmons.
wco81
RealGM

Post#20 » by wco81 » Tue Jun 9, 2020 7:31 pm

They wouldn't be good for half court offense but they'd be great in the transition game. Two very good perimeter defenders more likely to cause turnovers than if just one of them is playing and then igniting the fast break off those turnovers or off rebounds.

They could both push the ball. They could both kick out. Simmons is more of a threat to finish if defenders fan out to defend the shooters.

Return to Golden State Warriors