ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks reportedly remain open to trading Julius Randle

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 37,863

Re: Knicks reportedly remain open to trading Julius Randle 

Post#81 » by KnicksGod » Mon Jun 8, 2020 7:35 pm

Trade him. He'll have value to some bubble teams. He's not for us but he still does have somewhat rare, though far from unheard of, scoring skill.

In a system that relied on him a lot less, he could be good. I see him as a threat next to KP and Luka, in that order.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 37,863

Post#82 » by KnicksGod » Mon Jun 8, 2020 7:43 pm

Randle and all the picks for KAT? Plus maybe one good young player not RJ. And don't ask me who.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 47,893

Post#83 » by DOT » Mon Jun 8, 2020 7:43 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:but Mitch is a better finisher than Randle.

So he's not a better rim runner finisher than Mitch. He can't space the floor so if you take the ball away from his what does he actually do well?

Issue is he's a C on offense and a PF on defense

I mean, f*ck's sake, Knox played like half as many minutes and got 6 more blocks

He has things he does well, but not well enough to make up for his shortcomings. And building around him takes way too much effort to make it worthwhile

correct so when you already have core pieces like RJ and Mitch that don't mesh well with Randles skillset (no one is calling him a bum) he just doesn't really have a role on our team outside of racking up pts and rebs in losses.

We would be better off trying to build a semblance of an NBA roster. If we want Mitch/RJ to thrive we need to give them pieces that will compliment them and having Randle on the books just doesn't make a sense value wise. Like you said he would need a perfect environment to be successful but it makes no sense to tailor your team to his skillset which as you put it is a Center on offense but he provides no rim protection or interior defense to play that position on defense.

And most center can't shoot so right off the bat you would have two positions that limit your spacing...which is not good.

Like, if you look at the Pelicans when he was there, both AD and Jrue benefited from him being on the floor. He had his role, and he was very good at it, and the players around him were able to make up for his weaknesses

But when neither Jrue nor AD were on the floor with him, he was a negative player. He's not the type of player you build around, he's a complimentary piece at best. If RJ were much better and Mitch could shoot, he might be a decent fit, but that's not our situation, and you don't pay players like that 20 million a year, and there would be much better fits much cheaper. Like Morris would be a much better PF on almost any team in terms of fit. You just don't see players with his skillset as the #1 guy on top teams. Closest you could argue is Siakam, but that Raptors squad is really talented from top to bottom, plus they have those guys in Ibaka and Gasol who play the 5 on defense but step out and shoot 3s on offense
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,793

Post#84 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Jun 8, 2020 7:47 pm

knicksNOTslick wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
It's purpose was for him to take 2 years instead of 3.

It's not the end of the world.

that 4 mill wasn't needed to make him sign. he was not gonna turn down the deal without it. and it makes the contract unwieldy. if it was 1 or 2 mill he would basically be an expiring but the 4 makes him harder to trade.

The 4 million hit is the typical Knicks move of overbidding yourself. It was not necessary to make the deal but we do it anyways, just because we can. It's terrible business decision making from THJ's trade kicker, Melo's No Trade Clause, Amare's uninsured contract, overpaying Jerome James for 5 years because of one playoff series, overpaying Eddy Curry despite the health and weight risks, and it all started when we overpaid Allan Houston.

It was dumb. Not the end of the world
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,648

Post#85 » by nedleeds » Mon Jun 8, 2020 7:57 pm

I remain open to trading the dump I took this morning. It's about 9 ounces, some corn, pretty solid.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,236

Post#86 » by Zenzibar » Mon Jun 8, 2020 10:04 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
KnicksGadfly wrote:
He gave us a classic KOQ game. Like you know KOQ is gonna scrub out against good teams, but man, put him against the Orlando Magic (his former team) and other scrub teams with poor records, and he's gonna go 20-15 and ruin your lotto chances.

Do it against a top team and then we talk. Otherwise, if he can't produce like a star, then he better start playing like a good role player, cause only the top stars are allowed to loaf like he does.

I don't know. Seems Randle plays well against top teams too. That narrative is baseless.

They force fed Randle so he put up numbers, but he def struggled against decent teams (42.8% fg)

Vs .500+ Teams:
17.7ppg, 9.6rpg, 2.9apg, 42.8%fg, 22.5% 3pt

Vs Sub .500 Teams:
20.9ppg, 9.8rpg, 3.2apg, 48.4%fg, 31.8% 3pt

:roll: That's a non-statistic. 99% of the players put up lower numbers against 500+ teams.

If you put Randle on the block, he's pretty tough, Zach Randolph lite. Zack played sht defense but put up big numbers. A great 3 option!
Also someone please tell me, where did Fiz get Randle is the next Magic Johnson, cause I have no idea.

Noone is paying JRandle to be the main star of the team, just one of them,,jeez. They've not just mishandled Randle, but Iso-Zo, Kevin Knox, almost Mitch Rob and partially Frank. These last few coaching staffs have done nothing to impress me in regards to development.

But as mentioned earlier, Julius Randle and Mitchell Robinson both played better under Mike Miller than the previous coaching staff. So there's hope that they can put Randle and Knox in a positions to succeed and develop correctly.

Yo, some of you guys are undercover still stuck on Porzingis........he left you for another guy (Cuban). Get over it. :lol:
knickstape21
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,738

Post#87 » by knickstape21 » Tue Jun 9, 2020 12:21 am

Some people are short sided here. Go back and watch 5 games in a row. 4 games nonsense, 1 game good (but we still lost).

Time to move on. You’ll never win with him in your starting lineup.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,451

Post#88 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Jun 9, 2020 12:49 am

Zenzibar wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:

I don't know. Seems Randle plays well against top teams too. That narrative is baseless.

They force fed Randle so he put up numbers, but he def struggled against decent teams (42.8% fg)

Vs .500+ Teams:

Vs Sub .500 Teams:

:roll: That's a non-statistic. 99% of the players put up lower numbers against 500+ teams.

If you put Randle on the block, he's pretty tough, Zach Randolph lite. Zack played sht defense but put up big numbers. A great 3 option!
Also someone please tell me, where did Fiz get Randle is the next Magic Johnson, cause I have no idea.

Noone is paying JRandle to be the main star of the team, just one of them,,jeez. They've not just mishandled Randle, but Iso-Zo, Kevin Knox, almost Mitch Rob and partially Frank. These last few coaching staffs have done nothing to impress me in regards to development.

But as mentioned earlier, Julius Randle and Mitchell Robinson both played better under Mike Miller than the previous coaching staff. So there's hope that they can put Randle and Knox in a positions to succeed and develop correctly.

Yo, some of you guys are undercover still stuck on Porzingis........he left you for another guy (Cuban). Get over it. :lol:

You guys were saying Randle played well against good teams. I was curious so pulled up the stats.

We dont need zbo lite, pg Randle or a guy that can spin into triple teams. Just no room here for Randle. Glad the knicks front office see that.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Zenzibar
General Manager

Post#89 » by Zenzibar » Tue Jun 9, 2020 12:55 am

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

Vs .500+ Teams:

Vs Sub .500 Teams:

You guys were saying Randle played well against good teams. I was curious so pulled up the stats.

We dont need zbo lite, pg Randle or a guy that can spin into triple teams. Just no room here for Randle. Glad the knicks front office see that.

1. Yes but you didn't qualify that by saying if it's a normal trend for all players against 500+ teams.
2. That point god Randle played for Fiz, Mike Miller had him, along with Mitch, playing much better toward the latter part of the season.

BTW, The front office ain't really saying sht.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,616

Post#90 » by KnicksGadfly » Tue Jun 9, 2020 1:24 am

Zenzibar wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:

Vs .500+ Teams:

Vs Sub .500 Teams:

1. I disagree. That's a significant statistic because that's an insane drop. It pretty much explains my point.'We could probably force-feed a bunch of players in this league and get nice numbers against the Pistons, Hawks, etc. However, if any player decided to have a season like Randle did against .500+ teams, he'd get benched...fast. He certainly wouldn't get paid.

2. I agree. Like you said, 99% of players put up lower numbers against top teams. It's the 1% that can be consistent night in and night out. For the 99% to have success, they better learn how to contribute in other ways. More specifically, we've all acknowledged that Randle is not a 1% player. So he better start learning how to play defense and shoot, like the role player he is. If he can't, then no offense, but boot him off the team, buy him out, and let him be the 9th man on the Clippers or something.

3. Let's not lump Randle with Mitch, Knox, Frank, etc. All of those guys are on rookie contracts. They've been in the league for much less. For Randle, he's getting paid 20 mill...I got no time for a player who needs THIS MUCH development for 20 mill a year. Randle is basically getting to "Kevin Knox"-rookie season this year. He gets to chuck, put up numbers, but he's gonna get his ass benched when he gets exposed. How much value are we getting in return for Randle, in regards to that contract?

4. You place blame on the FO for not developing the players well. It's not Randle's fault that the Knicks were stupid, but he's holding Mitch back, he's taking Knox's minutes and his non-shooting ability means that he's held back DSJ, Frank and a bunch of other guys. Now some of those guys can't shoot for **** either, but they ain't getting paid like Randle is.
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,913

Post#91 » by Richard4444 » Tue Jun 9, 2020 2:02 am

knicksNOTslick wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
It's purpose was for him to take 2 years instead of 3.

It's not the end of the world.

that 4 mill wasn't needed to make him sign. he was not gonna turn down the deal without it. and it makes the contract unwieldy. if it was 1 or 2 mill he would basically be an expiring but the 4 makes him harder to trade.

The 4 million hit is the typical Knicks move of overbidding yourself. It was not necessary to make the deal but we do it anyways, just because we can. It's terrible business decision making from THJ's trade kicker, Melo's No Trade Clause, Amare's uninsured contract, overpaying Jerome James for 5 years because of one playoff series, overpaying Eddy Curry despite the health and weight risks, and it all started when we overpaid Allan Houston.

How do you know it was not necessary. I dont discard that he could get a 3 or 4 years contract elsewhere. He got a 35% outside shooting past season.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,354

Post#92 » by F N 11 » Tue Jun 9, 2020 3:15 am

knickstape21 wrote:Some people are short sided here. Go back and watch 5 games in a row. 4 games nonsense, 1 game good (but we still lost).

Thank you
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,325

Post#93 » by Worst_to_First » Tue Jun 9, 2020 1:17 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:Maybe he’s not a great fit on the Knicks but I think it’s hilarious how people are scapegoating him. He was pretty good this season and averaged 20/10/3. If we can get a stretch 4 in the starting lineup, why not keep Randle as a 6th man. He played that role great on the Pelicans.

Also, Wiseman can shoot.

I'm ok with bringing him off the bench in limited minutes, playing next to a C who can shoot, or even playing him as a small-ball 5. But in between RJ and Mitch, it's not a fit, spacing is too bad

Can Wiseman shoot? We didn't see him make 3's in the major HS circuit games, or FIBA, or in his small college sample size. Mitch can shoot too, did it in HS, we've seen the videos (there's one video out there where he's draining more 3's then Knox), but is a non-factor shooting in games. It's no sure-thing Wiseman will be a capable NBA shooter, especially this early in his career

My preference would be to trade Randle. I like the idea of trading him, #27 to the Twolves for James Johnson, #16

Wiseman took and made more jumpers in college than Mitch did these last 2 years. I am definitely buying into his shot. I’ve been watching him since he was in high school. In high school he was taking fade-away jumpers, step backs, etc. Mitch only took wide open jumpers in high school. That’s the difference. Wiseman is like how KAT was in college offensively. Played primarily in the paint but flashed a jumper and a post game. Once Wiseman is in the league, you will see how talented he is.

Yes can’t wait to see Wiseman in the league. I think he will be what I thought KAT would be in terms of being a two-way beast.
Zenzibar
General Manager

Post#94 » by Zenzibar » Tue Jun 9, 2020 1:22 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

Vs .500+ Teams:

Vs Sub .500 Teams:

1. I disagree. That's a significant statistic because that's an insane drop. It pretty much explains my point.'We could probably force-feed a bunch of players in this league and get nice numbers against the Pistons, Hawks, etc. However, if any player decided to have a season like Randle did against .500+ teams, he'd get benched...fast. He certainly wouldn't get paid.

2. I agree. Like you said, 99% of players put up lower numbers against top teams. It's the 1% that can be consistent night in and night out. For the 99% to have success, they better learn how to contribute in other ways. More specifically, we've all acknowledged that Randle is not a 1% player. So he better start learning how to play defense and shoot, like the role player he is. If he can't, then no offense, but boot him off the team, buy him out, and let him be the 9th man on the Clippers or something.

3. Let's not lump Randle with Mitch, Knox, Frank, etc. All of those guys are on rookie contracts. They've been in the league for much less. For Randle, he's getting paid 20 mill...I got no time for a player who needs THIS MUCH development for 20 mill a year. Randle is basically getting to "Kevin Knox"-rookie season this year. He gets to chuck, put up numbers, but he's gonna get his ass benched when he gets exposed. How much value are we getting in return for Randle, in regards to that contract?

4. You place blame on the FO for not developing the players well. It's not Randle's fault that the Knicks were stupid, but he's holding Mitch back, he's taking Knox's minutes and his non-shooting ability means that he's held back DSJ, Frank and a bunch of other guys. Now some of those guys can't shoot for **** either, but they ain't getting paid like Randle is.

Understand and no arguments on your points from me. Unfortunately the KP fiasco set the team back 2-3 years. KP and Mitchell would have been the longest most talented 1-2 punch this side of the Lakers. Would have the KP accusations have been too much to ignore, especially in NY? Don't know.

So now we're looking for backcourt court AND front court help.

While Randle in NOT the answer, he's a realtively cheap plug-in and next year on a team option. While there're may be dump trade options, it would have to absolutely be a great deal for the team.

For folks like you to just say "buy him out", is just a very emotional and not well thought-out response.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,021

Post#95 » by moocow007 » Tue Jun 9, 2020 1:43 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:Lol @ his source

That sly devilish smile. :lol: :lol:
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#96 » by moocow007 » Tue Jun 9, 2020 1:48 pm

FutureKnicksGM wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:Good sign that we are open to trade him, but it will be tough to find a decent deal. Give me Batums contract and a 2nd rounder or something and id be happy...even for just Batum i would do it just to move on

Randle is not a fit, but he’s not trash.
Batum will be lucky to get another vet min deal (while being paid $27 mill), he’s washed, he literally moves slower than Melo on the court.
Hopefully Perry won’t be as defeatist to accept trash in return.

Randle really going to be THjr 2.0? ‘Trash’ here, gets ‘dumped’ for nothing, but instantly becomes a decent 3rd option for a playoff team as soon as he is out of a Knicks jersey.

Yep. This is where the grass is greener, the other teams big contract is better rears is ugly head again. This is actually a perfect example cause folks haven't seen how absolutely brutal Batum has been and still fantasizing about the Batum from his prime. At least Randle does something on the floor. Batum doesn't contribute much of anything, not even on the defensive end where he's an even bigger net negative than Randle. The only thing this does is get the Knicks less salary cap space for next offseason (Batum will be owed $7 million more than Randle) by offsetting that the following offseason when Batum will be a UFA while Randle would need to be paid $4 million to get out of his contract a year early.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#97 » by moocow007 » Tue Jun 9, 2020 1:55 pm

knickstape21 wrote:Some people are short sided here. Go back and watch 5 games in a row. 4 games nonsense, 1 game good (but we still lost).

4 games of nonsense doing what? Trying to force the issue on offense? So again, who did the Knicks have that actually could create shots for himself and/or others? Frank Ntilikina? Elfrid Payton? Dennis Smith Jr? RJ Barrett? Bobby Portis? Mitch Robinson? Reggie Bullock? Taj Gibson? Kevin Knox? That's the alternatives. None of those guys could consistent create any shots and not a single one of them are known for being able to get other players better shots. And that logic would apply to pretty much every player on this roster. The Knicks had one of the least efficient offenses in the NBA cause they had no one that could create easy shots. They struggled to put every point they put up on the board cause they simply did not have any talent of the sort when it came to efficient offense. The reality is that Randle was the one single guy that could. Folks seem to be under the notion that Randle is the reason that the Knicks offense was inefficient when it was the Knicks team that forced Randle to be in the situation where he had to do what he did. If not, then tell me who they should have given the ball to when there was nothing going on offense? Randle isn't Lebron James to be not only trying to create for himself but others as well. If Randle isn't ideally anything more than a 4th option then pretty much every other player on this team shouldn't even be touching the ball when the Knicks are on offense.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 99,643

Post#98 » by mpharris36 » Tue Jun 9, 2020 2:20 pm

they also struggled to put up every point because they had the worst shooting starting lineup in the NBA. If teams don't respect your shooting you have a clogged paint and no spacing.

Randle and Payton were direct causes of that spacing issue. Replace both with at least the threat of shooting and RJ especially will have much more success driving the the basket creating offense for himself and possibly others.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,451

Post#99 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Jun 9, 2020 2:25 pm

moocow007 wrote:
FutureKnicksGM wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:Good sign that we are open to trade him, but it will be tough to find a decent deal. Give me Batums contract and a 2nd rounder or something and id be happy...even for just Batum i would do it just to move on

Randle is not a fit, but he’s not trash.
Batum will be lucky to get another vet min deal (while being paid $27 mill), he’s washed, he literally moves slower than Melo on the court.
Hopefully Perry won’t be as defeatist to accept trash in return.

Randle really going to be THjr 2.0? ‘Trash’ here, gets ‘dumped’ for nothing, but instantly becomes a decent 3rd option for a playoff team as soon as he is out of a Knicks jersey.

Yep. This is where the grass is greener, the other teams big contract is better rears is ugly head again. This is actually a perfect example cause folks haven't seen how absolutely brutal Batum has been and still fantasizing about the Batum from his prime. At least Randle does something on the floor. Batum doesn't contribute much of anything, not even on the defensive end where he's an even bigger net negative than Randle. The only thing this does is get the Knicks less salary cap space for next offseason (Batum will be owed $7 million more than Randle) by offsetting that the following offseason when Batum will be a UFA while Randle would need to be paid $4 million to get out of his contract a year early.

The trade wouldn't be about Batum. It's more about clearing out Randle so we can put better fitting pieces around RJ and Mitch while clearing salary for the following season. Maybe we even get a 2nd rounder or something to sweeten the deal.

Grass wouldn't be greener. But Randle is like having an inflatable santa clogging the lawn in July. He just doesn't fit here. We desperately need better spacing and more shooting. Not that Randle is the lone reason the Knicks are bad, but it's just a step in trying to put a cohesive team together to help the young players.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#100 » by moocow007 » Tue Jun 9, 2020 2:30 pm

mpharris36 wrote:they also struggled to put up every point because they had the worst shooting starting lineup in the NBA. If teams don't respect your shooting you have a clogged paint and no spacing.

Randle and Payton were direct causes of that spacing issue. Replace both with at least the threat of shooting and RJ especially will have much more success driving the the basket creating offense for himself and possibly others.

Randle isn't a PG...and honestly Payton wasn't really one either. You need a capable shot creator in order to create better spacing. Even if the Knicks had the best 3 point shooter in the NBA they'd still have problems getting that shooter good looks at the basket. Randle by no means is a keeper but he's basically getting blamed for the Knicks offensive inefficiencies as if they had much in the way of alternatives to force feed on offense which is basically what they were doing with him cause they simply could not execute an offense. The notion that Mike Miller somehow didn't allow and enable Randle to dominate the ball is farfetched IMO. IMO Miller clearly game planned around Randle doing most of the heavy lifting simply because he had no one else that could do anything on offense (that's not opinion, that's reality).

Return to New York Knicks