ImageImageImageImageImage

The Washington Redskins Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Re: The Washington Redskins Thread 

Post#1441 » by payitforward » Mon Jun 8, 2020 9:43 pm

How 'bout "the Washington Taxation-W/o-Representations"? Nickname would be, um, let me see... hmmm.... Can't come up with anything, sorry!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1442 » by Ruzious » Mon Jun 8, 2020 10:00 pm

payitforward wrote:How 'bout "the Washington Taxation-W/o-Representations"? Nickname would be, um, let me see... hmmm.... Can't come up with anything, sorry!

I'd go with the Fighting Pickles, but obviously the University of North Carolina School of the Arts already has it, and people would sour on them.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#1443 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue Jun 9, 2020 2:17 am

Ruzious wrote:
queridiculo wrote:Man, I can't believe this team name is still a thing.

With all the **** that's happening, how does Snyder not recognize the massive opportunity to do the right thing and rename the team.

Washington Natives, Warriors, what else have you.

This franchise could really embrace the natives heritage and actually use their platform to do good for a community that's largely overlooked and dismissed, more so than any other minorities in this country.

From a marketing and merchandising perspective this is really a total no-brainer and you'd think that Snyder's stadion plans would probably be looked at in a far more positive light than what's going on with this franchise right now.

It pains me that this racist nickname continues to be a thing, for **** sake, change it already.

This is not going to be an easy battle. It's because a lot of fans just refuse to believe that the team they've grown up with and loved has a disgraceful name. I remember growing thru that myself - probably 15 years ago or so. I justified it then by saying we respect the name and we certainly don't mean it as an insult. When we say Hail to the ..., we mean it as a celebration. Since then, I studied up on it, and there's no doubt it's unacceptable. But I have relatives, who I can't talk to about it - because they love that name, and they will get red (literally) in the face arguing with me. If the name is changed, a portion of fans will feel betrayed and drop the team.

I’m guessing some percentage of people (like me) care a lot and can’t quite stomach rooting for the team anymore because of its racist name.

Some percentage — probably the majority — don’t really have strong feelings and will root for the team either way.

Some percentage are your red in the face relatives who hold on tightly and might drop the team if the name changed. I’d bet that this is a pretty small percentage.

I’m sure that there’s a growing list of free agents that won’t consider coming here to play because of the racist moniker.

It seems like a no brainer to change the name. And maybe Danny really has an exit strategy here - like trade the name for a stadium deal.

Or maybe, just maybe he, himself, is a no brainer.
In Rizzo we trust
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1444 » by Ruzious » Tue Jun 9, 2020 11:22 am

Listening to the local sports talk shows, unfortunately - I think there are a lot more people married to the name than you think.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,161

Post#1445 » by AFM » Tue Jun 9, 2020 3:02 pm

How about we go full blown racist and call it “The Washington Bloodthirsty Savage Indians”. Don’t half ass anything is my motto
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,364

Post#1446 » by doclinkin » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:30 pm

AFM wrote:How about we go full blown racist and call it “The Washington Bloodthirsty Savage Indians”. Don’t half ass anything is my motto

That was my argument for keeping it. Why paper over the history with pretty lies? It was a racist ass team with a racist ass history and racist logo and racist fight song. And the fans like it that way.

But if we had to change I like “The Washington Rednecks”. Mascot has a meshback cap and a mullet. And instead of a feather hanging off the circle we could dangle a pair of those rubber trucknuts. I tried drawing the design a few times but it came off more ‘Chief Wahoo’ than Noble Savage type.

But whatever. I thought the lawsuit would change it. That you can’t trademark racial slurs.

I also thought they ought to make it fair and offend everybody with alternate jerseys/logos. Whiteskins Blackskins Yellowskins whatever. But now I think maybe the humor on all that has soured a bit...

Still. I’d buy one of every hat if they did.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#1447 » by Wizardspride » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:14 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1448 » by Wizardspride » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:18 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1449 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:51 pm

Interesting that Rivera didn't just say No about Antonio Brown. I would have said NO. Not only is he a rotten guy, but he'll turn 32 next month. He's probably got something left, but how many 32 year old 5'10 185 lb WR's are there in the NFL?

Anderson should start at OLBer. As great as our front 4 should be, I'm not real comfortable with our LBers. We're going to need Reuben Foster to be ready to play, imo.
popper
Veteran
And1: 366

Post#1450 » by popper » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:31 pm

[code][/code]Snyder might consider changing the name from Redskins to Red Skins (celebrating the red skin potato). Replace Chief Zee with a red skin spud highlighting its waxy exterior (weatherproof) and a tough fibrous interior. Replace the tomahawk chop with a dicing motion and problem solved. Spuds on the warpath, fight fight fight.
wermolwermol777
Rookie
And1: 15

Post#1451 » by wermolwermol777 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:30 pm

Ruzious wrote:Interesting that Rivera didn't just say No about Antonio Brown. I would have said NO. Not only is he a rotten guy, but he'll turn 32 next month. He's probably got something left, but how many 32 year old 5'10 185 lb WR's are there in the NFL?

He is obviously a rotten guy beyond belief, but AB is just a year removed from a 15TD season. It would be tough to make a claim talent/contribution wise for anyone besides Terry being better than him and even that would be because of youth.

Unlikely as it may be, but maybe a year of clown-assery and really (deserved) ridicule from everyone has him with a good chip on his shoulder. I'm a big fan of what Riverboat Ron has shown so far, if he were to give the guy a short leash on the cheap. I'd be down to gamble
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1452 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:16 pm

wermolwermol777 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Interesting that Rivera didn't just say No about Antonio Brown. I would have said NO. Not only is he a rotten guy, but he'll turn 32 next month. He's probably got something left, but how many 32 year old 5'10 185 lb WR's are there in the NFL?

He is obviously a rotten guy beyond belief, but AB is just a year removed from a 15TD season. It would be tough to make a claim talent/contribution wise for anyone besides Terry being better than him and even that would be because of youth.

Unlikely as it may be, but maybe a year of clown-assery and really (deserved) ridicule from everyone has him with a good chip on his shoulder. I'm a big fan of what Riverboat Ron has shown so far, if he were to give the guy a short leash on the cheap. I'd be down to gamble

Just my 2 cents: If the Skins don't understand that they need to rebuild this season, they're never going to improve. I think they do understand. Don't rebuild with a 32 year old blocking your inexperienced WR's. And don't rebuild with an individual like him being around your young guys.
wermolwermol777
Rookie
And1: 15

Post#1453 » by wermolwermol777 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:58 pm

Ruzious wrote:
wermolwermol777 wrote:

Just my 2 cents: If the Skins don't understand that they need to rebuild this season, they're never going to improve. I think they do understand. Don't rebuild with a 32 year old blocking your inexperienced WR's. And don't rebuild with an individual like him being around your young guys.

That makes a lot of sense, I definitely agree this is a rebuild and I wouldn't want us to give him a contract anywhere near what he was worth or going for a year+ ago. I guess what I was trying to get across was that if the coach were to consider it viable (if AB somehow is not a massive clown anymore this year) - there's got to be something to learn from the talent and ability rather than the character/antics of the player.

In any case - doesn't look like that's the case and I am certainly not going to lose sleep over us passing on him haha
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 884

Post#1454 » by badinage » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:52 pm

doclinkin wrote:
AFM wrote:How about we go full blown racist and call it “The Washington Bloodthirsty Savage Indians”. Don’t half ass anything is my motto

I also thought they ought to make it fair and offend everybody with alternate jerseys/logos. Whiteskins Blackskins Yellowskins whatever. But now I think maybe the humor on all that has soured a bit...

This is brilliant. A season-long piece of theater that would do more to right the wrong than simply changing the name. And it would just take four uni colors. Well, five — Mulattoskins. No, six — Purpleskins, to honor all the right-wingers and rednecks who say: “I don’t care if he’s black, brown, yellow, or purple ... “
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1455 » by Ruzious » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:27 am

badinage wrote:
doclinkin wrote:

This is brilliant. A season-long piece of theater that would do more to right the wrong than simply changing the name. And it would just take four uni colors. Well, five — Mulattoskins. No, six — Purpleskins, to honor all the right-wingers and rednecks who say: “I don’t care if he’s black, brown, yellow, or purple ... “

Or since Danny and the boys are so adamant that the name is to honor the Native Americans, how about actually naming them after the most prominent local Indian tribe - which happens to be the Piscataways. And we could shorten that. Ohhh. No, I meant shorten it to the Cats.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1456 » by payitforward » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:45 pm

Ruzious wrote:
payitforward wrote:How 'bout "the Washington Taxation-W/o-Representations"? Nickname would be, um, let me see... hmmm.... Can't come up with anything, sorry!

I'd go with the Fighting Pickles, but obviously the University of North Carolina School of the Arts already has it, and people would sour on them.

Fine, Mr. Smarty Pants! But not undill you come up with something better!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1457 » by payitforward » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:51 pm

doclinkin wrote:

That was my argument for keeping it. Why paper over the history with pretty lies? It was a racist ass team with a racist ass history and racist logo and racist fight song. And the fans like it that way.

But if we had to change I like “The Washington Rednecks”. Mascot has a meshback cap and a mullet. And instead of a feather hanging off the circle we could dangle a pair of those rubber trucknuts. I tried drawing the design a few times but it came off more ‘Chief Wahoo’ than Noble Savage type.

But whatever. I thought the lawsuit would change it. That you can’t trademark racial slurs.

"Rednecks" is great. But, hell, why not go all the way; just call the team the Washington Racists.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1458 » by Ruzious » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:46 pm

payitforward wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Fine, Mr. Smarty Pants! But not undill you come up with something better!

Something even better? How about the Washington Worcestershires? We could expand the fan base to England, sell our own sauces, and our nickname could be the wo... ohhh, back to the drawing board.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1459 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:45 am

I am absolutely shocked that changing the name hasn't come up on ESPN with all that's going on .

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1460 » by Wizardspride » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:40 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Return to Washington Wizards