Damian Lillard Thought He Would Be Traded To Knicks 'A Few Years Ago'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Damian Lillard Thought He Would Be Traded To Knicks 'A Few Years Ago' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:46 pm

Damian Lillard revealed in an interview with Lisa Robinson of Vanity Fair that he thought he might get traded to the New York Knicks

Lillard signed a four-year, $196 million supermax contract with the Portland Trail Blazers during the 2019 offseason. 

"I thought I was headed there a few years ago; I was hearing trade rumors," said Lillard of the Knicks. "The Garden is my favorite place to play."

Via Lisa Robinson/Vanity Fair

HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,805

Re: Damian Lillard Thought He Would Be Traded To Knicks 'A Few Years Ago' 

Post#2 » by HotelVitale » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:52 pm

Really, Dame? You thought PDX would trade you for like Luke Kornet and Kyle O'Quinn?
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#3 » by Scalabrine » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:19 pm

We probably could have moved Porzingis for him. Instead we got f'n Dennis Smith Jr.

God I hate my team!!!!
Go Knicks!
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#4 » by Cassius » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:54 pm

Scalabrine wrote:We probably could have moved Porzingis for him. Instead we got f'n Dennis Smith Jr.

God I hate my team!!!!

He wasn't overpaid enough yet LOL
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#5 » by MegaK » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:05 pm

combination of Porzingis, tnilikina, expiring contract(s) and draft picks at the time of porzingis trade probably would've worked for both teams. Knicks are stupid and firesaled porzingis for no good reason.
jstudabaka
Bench Warmer
And1: 681

Post#6 » by jstudabaka » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:28 pm

MegaK wrote:combination of Porzingis, tnilikina, expiring contract(s) and draft picks at the time of porzingis trade probably would've worked for both teams. Knicks are stupid and firesaled porzingis for no good reason.

They had a damn good reason -- to free up cap space to pursue Durant and another max. It didn't work out, but at the time it made a lot of sense. An injured KP going into his walk year wasn't that much of a prize anyway.
jstudabaka
Bench Warmer

Post#7 » by jstudabaka » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:29 pm

Scalabrine wrote:We probably could have moved Porzingis for him. Instead we got f'n Dennis Smith Jr.

God I hate my team!!!!

I seriously doubt it. The league wasn't that high on Porzingis.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#8 » by Scalabrine » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:47 pm

MegaK wrote:combination of Porzingis, tnilikina, expiring contract(s) and draft picks at the time of porzingis trade probably would've worked for both teams. Knicks are stupid and firesaled porzingis for no good reason.

It was a great reason. We signed Julius Randle and Elfrid Payton!
Go Knicks!
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,491

Post#9 » by Wildcat » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:54 pm

jstudabaka wrote:

They had a damn good reason -- to free up cap space to pursue Durant and another max. It didn't work out, but at the time it made a lot of sense. An injured KP going into his walk year wasn't that much of a prize anyway.

So, like he said, "No damn good reason." You had players wanting to play with KP. There's no defending how ridiculous this trade was and on discounted the front office was with their star player.
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#10 » by luss54321 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:07 pm

jstudabaka wrote:

They should have known that wouldn't work. Free agents avoid the Knicks like the plague. The Knicks have one of the worst reputations in the NBA. They are notoriously dysfunctional and incompetent. I can't even think of the last time a marquee free agent signed with the Knicks.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,805

Post#11 » by HotelVitale » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:21 pm

Nah, there still wouldn't be any reason for the Blazers to trade Lillard. This is probably just Lillard hearing general, vague trade rumors and bringing up how he once thought playing for the Knicks would be cool. It wasn't about to happen or anything.
jstudabaka
Bench Warmer

Post#12 » by jstudabaka » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:25 pm

Wildcat wrote:
jstudabaka wrote:

So, like he said, "No damn good reason." You had players wanting to play with KP. There's no defending how ridiculous this trade was and on discounted the front office was with their star player.

KP wasn't and isn't a star, and I doubt there was a long list of players stoked to play with someone who mostly couldn't stay on the floor. Even playing next to the GOAT, Donicic, KP is putting up pretty middling numbers. He may develop into an elite player, but the Mavs have a 150 million dollar lottery ticket. There were so much buzz about KD going to the Knicks at the time that it was a reasonable gamble to free up space for him. Hell, as a Knicks fan, I'm just glad we avoided sinking 150 million dollars into Porzingis.
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#13 » by MegaK » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:30 pm

jstudabaka wrote:
Wildcat wrote:
jstudabaka wrote:

KP wasn't and isn't a star, and I doubt there was a long list of players stoked to play with someone who mostly couldn't stay on the floor. Even playing next to the GOAT, Donicic, KP is putting up pretty middling numbers. He may develop into an elite player, but the Mavs have a 150 million dollar lottery ticket. There were so much buzz about KD going to the Knicks at the time that it was a reasonable gamble to free up space for him. Hell, as a Knicks fan, I'm just glad we avoided sinking 150 million dollars into Porzingis.

GM's and Scouts will always lust Porzingis. He is a unicorn, he's a very mobile, shot blocking, 3 point shooting, putting the ball on the floor 7 foot 3 inch young player. He is a match up nightmare and can generate his own shot. Guys like him will always be lusted. We could have traded him for almost any other all star player. We certainly didn't need to trade him for smith jr who isn't any where close to porzingis talent level.
jstudabaka
Bench Warmer

Post#14 » by jstudabaka » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:38 pm

MegaK wrote:
jstudabaka wrote:
Wildcat wrote:

GM's and Scouts will always lust Porzingis. He is a unicorn, he's a very mobile, shot blocking, 3 point shooting, putting the ball on the floor 7 foot 3 inch young player. He is a match up nightmare and can generate his own shot. Guys like him will always be lusted. We could have traded him for almost any other all star player. We certainly didn't need to trade him for smith jr who isn't any where close to porzingis talent level.

They got picks too. The Knicks floated KP in Anthony Davis trade talks and NO wasn't that interested. GMs see the upside, obviously, but they also see the injury risk.
niha17
Rookie
And1: 68

Post#15 » by niha17 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:32 pm

It's his favorite place to play but he sign that extension with portland. I guess 40 mil extra on that contact makes you think twice bout about playing in the place you call your favorite. Knicks dodged a bullet not making that trade. Hes good but over rated knicks been down that road before.. Just ask Carmelo
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,494

Post#16 » by elchengue20 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:43 pm

luss54321 wrote:
jstudabaka wrote:

They should have known that wouldn't work. Free agents avoid the Knicks like the plague. The Knicks have one of the worst reputations in the NBA. They are notoriously dysfunctional and incompetent. I can't even think of the last time a marquee free agent signed with the Knicks.

I think you can say Stoudemire in 2010, still it was after Lebron/Wade/Bosh didnt want to go there and he was a big injury risk who some teams wanted to avoid or give a shorter contract. So yes,maybe it doesn't count lol.
USER0023942
Sophomore
And1: 17

Post#17 » by USER0023942 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:32 pm

Dame is Portland royalty alongside BRoy and RLEC. They wouldn't have traded him for anything outside of LeBron.

Return to Wiretap Discussion