Edwards
Halliburton
Okongwu
Vassell

Trading down to low lottery or out of lottery
Vassell
S.Bey
Nesmith

I think this big board is close to what I prefer as well. I would add Desmond Bane to trading down list and move some names around the other list. Also if we can get a mid-late 1st round pick along with our lottery pick because I would like if we could get a shooter from this draft. Cheap, long term contracts won't hurt for our championship window. So something like

Drafting for trade value
Ball
Edwards
Wiseman
Deni

Keeping the pick
Edwards
Wiseman
Halliburton
Vassell

Trading down to low lottery or out of lottery or acquiring an extra 1st round pick
Nesmith
Desmond Bane
S.Bey
Vassell
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,793

Re: 2020 Draft Thread 

Post#1462 » by cdubbz » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:05 pm

CaliWG wrote:
cdubbz wrote:
vagelis wrote:My top 3 is

Wiseman
Edwards
Lamelo

I think that the best player and the best fit for Warriors is Wiseman.
He is the most athletic big I have seen the last many years.
He is strong, he has hoops but he is also very fast and quick.
I think he can be an excellent defender right away and he can have a lot of easy points with lobs.
I see him as a bigger(3 inches taller) and stronger version of Marquess Chriss.

The other players will come from the bench for Warriors but Wiseman can start right away and contribute.

If we land the 3rd pick and somehow Edwards, Wiseman go 1 & 2 I wonder if we got with Lamelo Ball or not.

That is a prime trade back scenario. There are 3 or 4 teams that would love to have Ball. Getting a pick swap plus either an addition 1st or a quality rotational piece with the TPE would be a solid outcome in that scenario. I like the idea of Haliburton+Nesmith as they both have skills that allow them to contribute immediately, but they can also be part of a young core with Paschall, Wiggins & the '21/'22 Minnesota pick.

On Haliburton & Nesmith: I like the combo, but

In championship years is so difficult to develop young guys (who knows maybe this year is possible) but we would have Haliburton, Nesmith, Poole, Paschall, Smailagic on the roster. 5 young guys. Our core vets may not have the time to develop them
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
CaliWG
Freshman
And1: 13

Post#1463 » by CaliWG » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:06 pm

cdubbz wrote:
CaliWG wrote:
cdubbz wrote:

If we land the 3rd pick and somehow Edwards, Wiseman go 1 & 2 I wonder if we got with Lamelo Ball or not.

That is a prime trade back scenario. There are 3 or 4 teams that would love to have Ball. Getting a pick swap plus either an addition 1st or a quality rotational piece with the TPE would be a solid outcome in that scenario. I like the idea of Haliburton+Nesmith as they both have skills that allow them to contribute immediately, but they can also be part of a young core with Paschall, Wiggins & the '21/'22 Minnesota pick.

On Haliburton & Nesmith: I like the combo, but

In championship years is so difficult to develop young guys (who knows maybe this year is possible) but we would have Haliburton, Nesmith, Poole, Paschall, Smailagic on the roster. 5 young guys. Our core vets may not have the time to develop them

Maybe its the old school Warriors' fan in me, but I don't want to fall back into a position of perpetual rebuilding (see the Bulls since '98). If the front office has a chance to build a young core to ensure future success (even if its not championship level), I want them to take advantage of that opportunity. Young guys can eat up regular season minutes and save the legs of Steph, Klay & Dray. And by having these guys play on the second unit as opposed to being expected to perform as primary go-to starters they can develop while contributing to a contender. I don't know how this will play out come playoff time, but I'd rather have a core piece(s) of a future playoff team who needs experience than some 32 year old bench guy who has experience but is likely not the key to a championship.

Two potentially very high draft picks (or more with a trade down), Wiggins, Paschall, etc. represent a chance to rebuild while still in the championship window. Hopefully these pieces don't get sold for 50 cents on the dollar just to land a less than stellar piece that is viewed as an immediate help to win a championship.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,137

Post#1464 » by wco81 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:03 pm

But of those 5 players, which ones are going to be all-stars or potentially all-NBA year after year?

Nice starters and role players but not sure any of them break out.

That might lend more credence to arguments about going for a player with a high ceiling.

They might not get another top 3 pick for awhile. Sure they have Minnesota pick next year but that could land more in the mid lottery for all we know. Minnesota has two lotto picks so they could improve.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#1465 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:10 pm

CaliWG wrote:Maybe its the old school Warriors' fan in me, but I don't want to fall back into a position of perpetual rebuilding (see the Bulls since '98). If the front office has a chance to build a young core to ensure future success (even if its not championship level), I want them to take advantage of that opportunity. Young guys can eat up regular season minutes and save the legs of Steph, Klay & Dray. And by having these guys play on the second unit as opposed to being expected to perform as primary go-to starters they can develop while contributing to a contender. I don't know how this will play out come playoff time, but I'd rather have a core piece(s) of a future playoff team who needs experience than some 32 year old bench guy who has experience but is likely not the key to a championship.

Two potentially very high draft picks (or more with a trade down), Wiggins, Paschall, etc. represent a chance to rebuild while still in the championship window. Hopefully these pieces don't get sold for 50 cents on the dollar just to land a less than stellar piece that is viewed as an immediate help to win a championship.

I think all the talk about drafting a player for this year are pure BS. They are not drafting for 1 year. They want to keep it going beyond this group of players, or at least have the smallest dip possible.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,793

Post#1466 » by cdubbz » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:55 pm

James Wiseman posted a video in his IG of him doing a dribbling drill while moving forward. He doesn’t look too bad doing the drill — game ready skill? Probably not, but for a big it’s not bad.

I could be very wrong and Wiseman could develop more wing skills than I thought he would be able to.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,697

Post#1467 » by whatisacenter » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:47 am

cdubbz wrote:James Wiseman posted a video in his IG of him doing a dribbling drill while moving forward. He doesn’t look too bad doing the drill — game ready skill? Probably not, but for a big it’s not bad.

I could be very wrong and Wiseman could develop more wing skills than I thought he would be able to.

I think it really comes down to whether he can move his feet on defense and hold his own on the perimeter if he gets caught up on a switch or not. Wiseman, Edwards, Okongwu and Hampton look like they have the top athleticism of the draft and it comes down to which of them can add the skill to their game to play well at the next level. Getting the players in for an in-person workout is going to be so important in trying to find a star in this draft.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,656

Post#1468 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:48 pm

Physically Wiseman has quicker feet than most centers. He has the footbspeed of the undersized quicker centers but he isn't undersized. Mentally? First he is basically straight out of high school. He has no business knowing where to move his feet at this age. Some guys will never have fast mental reactions to developing plays. Some guys may react fast enough but react wrong. Klay and Steph have slow feet for their positions but they have fast correct minds.

I still want Wiseman. I just expect tons of rookie mistakes.
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 258

Post#1469 » by ShayDee » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:57 pm

https://www.sfchronicle.com/warriors/article/6-potential-sleepers-for-the-Warriors-in-a-15334612.php

This seems interesting. Not sure how credible or how much of a smoke screen but I like this list of players if we trade back.

Bey and Vassell obviously no-brainer, I prefer them (closer towards Bey because he has a higher floor and can help almost immediately) over some of the other guys in the lottery (like Okoro, Okongwu, Toppin). Not sure about Jalen Smith although I like his upside? Just pick Wiseman. I like Patrick Williams ahead of Okoro, if we are going to pick a defense only guy hoping for offense to come later, I think he has a higher ceiling imo. The last two seem ok if we picking in the 2nd round
hamncheese
Assistant Coach
And1: 849

Post#1470 » by hamncheese » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:27 pm

Who are the last two? I don't have a subscription and can't see.
Bob Myers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#1471 » by ChuckDurn » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:13 am

hamncheese wrote:Who are the last two? I don't have a subscription and can't see.

The 6 players in the article are Saddiq Bey, Devin Vassell, Patrick Williams, Jalen Smith, Mamadi Diakite (Virginia), and Borisa Simanic.

The last guy is a 22-year old 6’11” string bean with an outside shot, but he can’t get any time in the EuroLeague. He would definitely be a heat check.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
The Maestro
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Post#1472 » by The Maestro » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:01 am

Patrick Williams is a stud. Just watched some film on him and he’s definitely on my trade down list. He might even fall to the 2nd round. That dude is gonna be tough.
CaliWG
Freshman

Post#1473 » by CaliWG » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:01 am

ShayDee wrote:https://www.sfchronicle.com/warriors/article/6-potential-sleepers-for-the-Warriors-in-a-15334612.php

This seems interesting. Not sure how credible or how much of a smoke screen but I like this list of players if we trade back.

Bey and Vassell obviously no-brainer, I prefer them (closer towards Bey because he has a higher floor and can help almost immediately) over some of the other guys in the lottery (like Okoro, Okongwu, Toppin). Not sure about Jalen Smith although I like his upside? Just pick Wiseman. I like Patrick Williams ahead of Okoro, if we are going to pick a defense only guy hoping for offense to come later, I think he has a higher ceiling imo. The last two seem ok if we picking in the 2nd round

I prefer Nesmith over all of them. He has a high level NBA skill right now (shooting) and he has the size & athleticism to be a quality defender. He could very well be the next Klay Thompson with his ability to catch & shoot, come off screens, pin downs, curls, etc. I’d take him as high as 3rd if I really had to choose between prospects straight up. 52% from 3 is an absolutely ridiculous number, and his advanced stats are off the charts offensively. A lot of teams will regret passing on him a few years from now.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#1474 » by Mylie10 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:21 am

The Maestro wrote:Patrick Williams is a stud. Just watched some film on him and he’s definitely on my trade down list. He might even fall to the 2nd round. That dude is gonna be tough.

He's not even 19 yet either. He had a fantastic second part of his season.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
The Maestro
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Post#1475 » by The Maestro » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:09 am

CaliWG wrote:
ShayDee wrote:https://www.sfchronicle.com/warriors/article/6-potential-sleepers-for-the-Warriors-in-a-15334612.php

I prefer Nesmith over all of them. He has a high level NBA skill right now (shooting) and he has the size & athleticism to be a quality defender. He could very well be the next Klay Thompson with his ability to catch & shoot, come off screens, pin downs, curls, etc. I’d take him as high as 3rd if I really had to choose between prospects straight up. 52% from 3 is an absolutely ridiculous number, and his advanced stats are off the charts offensively. A lot of teams will regret passing on him a few years from now.

Nesmith is going to be really good. Vassell, Nesmith, S.Bey and Williams are all guys I like a lot.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#1476 » by ChuckDurn » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:26 am

The Maestro wrote:Patrick Williams is a stud. Just watched some film on him and he’s definitely on my trade down list. He might even fall to the 2nd round. That dude is gonna be tough.

Williams will likely go somewhere between 10 and 16 or so. No way he’s falling to the second round, unless some crazy news about him comes out..... (like, a year-long injury or something.....)
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,137

Post#1477 » by wco81 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:49 am

CaliWG wrote:I prefer Nesmith over all of them. He has a high level NBA skill right now (shooting) and he has the size & athleticism to be a quality defender. He could very well be the next Klay Thompson with his ability to catch & shoot, come off screens, pin downs, curls, etc. I’d take him as high as 3rd if I really had to choose between prospects straight up. 52% from 3 is an absolutely ridiculous number, and his advanced stats are off the charts offensively. A lot of teams will regret passing on him a few years from now.

That's the thing, do you go for raw physical and athletic talent and hope that they develop shooting skills?

Or do you get the shooter and try to develop him into an effective defender?

The first model is something like what Orlando did, drafting Gordon #4 and then Issac #6? Both were one-and-done players so didn't have much of a college record but their NBA shooting has settled in around what they did in their one seasons in college, which is subpart 3-point shooting and okay FT shooting. Their overall FG percentage is decent but probably a lot are dunks.

Second model is obviously someone like Klay.

Honestly, Klay making the second All-Defensive Team in 2018-2019 seems to be an exception more than the rule.

https://www.nba.com/history/awards/defensive-team

Regardless he's a good defender but it seems the top defenders do have the physical and athletic attributes.

So realistically, you may have to choose one or the other, either an athletic freak who could be developed at the NBA level or a shooter or floor-spacer.

Seems 3 and D is pretty elusive.
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 258

Post#1478 » by ShayDee » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:28 am

CaliWG wrote:

There's probably a reason Nesmith isn't mentioned. I think Connor probably asked the FO about sleepers and most likely these guys are on their board, but there's still some other guys I think the warriors want, Nesmith included. So most probably The FO told him the only names he was allowed to publish and hide some of the guys they really actually want. Or I might be wrong and they actually don't like Nesmith and see some flags with him regarding his injury/defense/fit/upside with the team? I've done a lot of research on this draft and see like 3 guys that would fit the team really well that Connor didn't mention as trade back/2nd round targets
CaliWG
Freshman

Post#1479 » by CaliWG » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:32 am

wco81 wrote:
CaliWG wrote:I prefer Nesmith over all of them. He has a high level NBA skill right now (shooting) and he has the size & athleticism to be a quality defender. He could very well be the next Klay Thompson with his ability to catch & shoot, come off screens, pin downs, curls, etc. I’d take him as high as 3rd if I really had to choose between prospects straight up. 52% from 3 is an absolutely ridiculous number, and his advanced stats are off the charts offensively. A lot of teams will regret passing on him a few years from now.

That's the thing, do you go for raw physical and athletic talent and hope that they develop shooting skills?

Or do you get the shooter and try to develop him into an effective defender?

The first model is something like what Orlando did, drafting Gordon #4 and then Issac #6? Both were one-and-done players so didn't have much of a college record but their NBA shooting has settled in around what they did in their one seasons in college, which is subpart 3-point shooting and okay FT shooting. Their overall FG percentage is decent but probably a lot are dunks.

Second model is obviously someone like Klay.

Honestly, Klay making the second All-Defensive Team in 2018-2019 seems to be an exception more than the rule.

https://www.nba.com/history/awards/defensive-team

Regardless he's a good defender but it seems the top defenders do have the physical and athletic attributes.

So realistically, you may have to choose one or the other, either an athletic freak who could be developed at the NBA level or a shooter or floor-spacer.

Seems 3 and D is pretty elusive.

See I don’t trust a wing who still can’t shoot by the time he comes out of college. Kawhi Leonard is the exception, while Josh Jackson is the norm. The fact that Okoro is even mentioned as a potential target for the Warriors is disappointing. They can sign Josh Jackson this offseason for the vet minimum if they really want a young versatile defender, and Jackson is actually better than Okoro both defensively and offensively.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#1480 » by Mylie10 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:37 pm

I actually think Memphis will keep Josh Jackson. He improved this season and seems to fit their younger core. I thin he found a home
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...

Return to Golden State Warriors