Adam Silver: Resumption Of Season Will Require 'Enormous Sacrifice On Behalf Of Everyone'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Adam Silver: Resumption Of Season Will Require 'Enormous Sacrifice On Behalf Of Everyone' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:23 am

Adam Silver and Damian Lillard appeared on ESPN's Return to Sports special to address the challenges of potentially resuming the NBA season amid nationwide unrest.

"We are trying to find a way to our own normalcy in the middle of a pandemic, in the middle of essentially a recession or worse with 40 million unemployed, and now with enormous social unrest in the country. And so as we work through these issues, I can understand how some players may feel, that it's not for them ... it may be for family reasons, it may be for health reasons they have, or it may be because they feel -- as some players have said very recently -- that their time is best spent elsewhere," said Silver.

A coalition lead by Kyrie Irving and Avery Bradley is further examining the NBA's plans to restart in Orlando, with an eye towards social justice reform. 

Dwight Howard also has yet to decide whether to play this season.

Lillard, who admitted that he didn't "feel 100 percent comfortable" returning to play, said that he understood Irving and Howard's positions. 

"I think our league is made up of so many African American players. And a lot of our hearts are with our people; our minds are with our people. And we feel like we should be a part of that fight. And that's where the struggle is; I think that's where you're hearing a lot of guys kinda coming out, saying maybe we should be focused on that instead of worrying about going back in and jumping into the season," said Lillard.

Silver admitted that there may not be "a uniform view" among players concerning the resumption of the season.

Silver added that the league will continue to give its players a platform to fight for racial equality.

Via Ohm Youngmisuk/ESPN

IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Re: Adam Silver: Resumption Of Season Will Require 'Enormous Sacrifice On Behalf Of Everyone' 

Post#2 » by IWishIWasHarden » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:45 pm

What is the difference between saying the season will require "enormous sacrifice from everyone" and "all lives matter."
xx1c1cle
Sophomore
And1: 54

Re: Adam Silver: Resumption Of Season Will Require 'Enormous Sacrifice On Behalf Of Everyone' 

Post#3 » by xx1c1cle » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:58 pm

IWishIWasHarden wrote:What is the difference between saying the season will require "enormous sacrifice from everyone" and "all lives matter."

He is the chief executive leader of the NBA. it is his responsibility to do what is best for the league. he stated more than you quoted- he stated the league will continue to provide a platform to the players to fight for racial equality. I expect Silver to step up, and he will.
Chi Dynasty12
Analyst
And1: 140

Post#4 » by Chi Dynasty12 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:05 pm

The seasons over, give it up
Chicago Bears 2025 Super Bowl Champions
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,664

Post#5 » by nedleeds » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:00 pm

Enormous sacrifice, staying at the Four Seasons and being paid millions to do something I'd kill a man to do right now which is play a game of basketball. Stunning. Brave.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#6 » by dautjazz » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:02 pm

nedleeds wrote:Enormous sacrifice, staying at the Four Seasons and being paid millions to do something I'd kill a man to do right now which is play a game of basketball. Stunning. Brave.

The whole damn world is working through this, they have so much testing on their hands, some players will get it, and people will blame the season resuming for it, but come on, people are getting it from take out, or any other activity the players would be subject to outside the bubble. I prefer an asterisk champion, than no champions.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
dautjazz
RealGM

Post#7 » by dautjazz » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:08 pm

IWishIWasHarden wrote:What is the difference between saying the season will require "enormous sacrifice from everyone" and "all lives matter."

I don't see what's wrong with Adam Silver's comment, he wasn't people saying Black Lives Matters instead of All Lives Matters. He's saying the truth, lots of players are probably not comfortable playing basketball with COVID-19, and ofcourse there are some players who would probably want to continue protests. I think you're reaching.
NickAnderson wrote:

dautjazz
RealGM

Post#8 » by dautjazz » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:10 pm

Chi Dynasty12 wrote:The seasons over, give it up

If there is a place where we can make a wager, I would be up for it, cause I am QUITE sure the season is not over.
NickAnderson wrote:

Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#9 » by Barcs » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:52 pm

I just don't see a point resuming as late as July.. From that point you would only have a month or so until training camp would normally start anyways. Might as well just move on.

They should just start the next season a little early. I don't like the idea of a quick mini season then another season right after. I get guys are resting now, but this is going to wear them down quite a bit come next year's playoffs.

I get that the NBA is super desperate to recoup some losses but they could really make things worse if another wave of COVID hits. Florida is having the highest covid #s it's ever had right now and they want to go THERE? Plus it's optional for the players? How on earth is that going to work out when you might have high profile players opt out?
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
mastermixer
Starter
And1: 2,941

Post#10 » by mastermixer » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:36 pm

I think the people that take offense with “All Lives Matter” feel as though it is used to marginalize what they’re fighting for.

As if the response to “Black Lives Matter!” Is sarcastically:
“Well all lives matter kid, move along.”

At least that’s the way I understood it, but I’m very out of touch with reality and you shouldn’t rely on my opinion.

But I do see the parallels depending on how you take Silver’s quote.

It’s kinda like the players are saying “players lives matter” and silver is saying “all lives matter (including owners/ execs)”

But I don’t think silver meant it like that
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr

Return to Wiretap Discussion