Image ImageImage Image

Is Gafford better than Wendell?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Who do you have, Gafford or Wendell?

Wendell Carter Jr
73%
Daniel Gafford
27%

Total votes: 71

Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,224

Is Gafford better than Wendell? 

Post#1 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:33 am

I think this is a fun comparison that isn’t talked about enough.

Wendell
20 years old
BPM: -2.4
WS/48: .127
PER: 15.5

Gafford
21 years old
BPM: -1.4
WS: .146
PER: 16.2

I think we all agree Wendell has the higher offensive potential, but injuries have played the largest role in defining his career.

Two questions: Who do you like more straight up, Wendell or Gafford.

If your answer is Wendell (perfectly fine answer), does it make some sense to look into trading him as his stock will be higher than Gafford and try an upgrade elsewhere, like the wing position. Package him for someone like Mikai Bridges or Buddy Hield (examples, don’t fight them) and not have so much invested in the center position? Or would you just have these two battle it out for the center position for the next couple years.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,633

Re: Is Gafford better than Wendell? 

Post#2 » by Dez » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:13 am

Wendell and no to trading to him unless the Bulls get something heavily weighted in their favour.

Gafford is getting quite overrated.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,174

Post#3 » by HomoSapien » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:15 am

When healthy, Wendell is definitely the better player. That said, I think Carter's trade value is likely more valuable than his on court value and that Gafford can replicate about 80-85% of Carter's contributions especially if he improves as a rebounder.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
_txchilibowl_
Starter
And1: 2,176

Post#4 » by _txchilibowl_ » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:47 am

I'm expecting Wendell to breakout next year...
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,530

Post#5 » by Andi Obst » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:05 am

Dez wrote:Gafford is getting quite overrated.

This.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
Jvaughn
RealGM
And1: 4,126

Post#6 » by Jvaughn » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:34 am

Wendell, but I don't think the gap is actually that large. As already stated, he's often injured, and when he is on the court, it's been a mixed bag. He's been a good rebounder, and has shown he can put together some good offensive outings, but I've never been super impressed with his overall game. If you can get something of value for him, go ahead and let him go. I think Gafford's rim running game fits the NBA style more anyway. If he's able to put on some more muscle and can stay out of foul trouble, I'd prefer him manning the middle.
spearsy23 wrote:Kobe is a low percentage chucker just like Jennings, he's just better at it.

teamCHItown wrote:Now we have threads on what violent felons think of our Bulls. Great. Next up, OJ Simpson's take on a possible Taj Gibson extension.
VolumePoster
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,025

Post#7 » by VolumePoster » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:10 am

Gafford’s biggest drawback is he’s a poor rebounder. That’s a deal killer.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#8 » by drosereturn » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:11 am

Dez wrote:Wendell and no to trading to him unless the Bulls get something heavily weighted in their favour.

How is he overrated? It is Wendell that is getting overrated here. Gafford wasnt a nobody. Decent prospect but just dropeed to 2nd round bc he was a energy big.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,214

Post#9 » by coldfish » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:07 am

IMO, everyone on the current team should be on the trading block. AK should shop all of them. I wouldn't dump anyone for peanuts but if you can get reasonable value, trade these guys. The team has serious chemistry issues. Wendell has actually been a part of the problem.

That said, I don't see Gafford as someone you want as a long term starter.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,532

Post#10 » by DuckIII » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:46 am

I read the OP as asking who we prefer regardless of injuries. For me that is WCJ by a wide margin. Gafford is a very good backup, but that is all he is.

Trading WCJ is intriguing though. But I agree with coldfish that everyone should be on the table. Personally, I doubt WCJ’s trade value - due to the injuries - is high enough that I would trade him. My guess is I value him higher than his current trade value.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,633

Post#11 » by Dez » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:57 am

Showtime23 wrote:
Dez wrote:Wendell and no to trading to him unless the Bulls get something heavily weighted in their favour.

How is he overrated? It is Wendell that is getting overrated here. Gafford wasnt a nobody. Decent prospect but just dropeed to 2nd round bc he was a energy big.

Carter is getting underrated around here, in no way is he overrated at all.

People are talking about trading him because Gafford blocked a couple of shots this season.
Tetlak
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,134

Post#12 » by Tetlak » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:16 pm

Dez wrote:
Showtime23 wrote:

Carter is getting underrated around here, in no way is he overrated at all.

People are talking about trading him because Gafford blocked a couple of shots this season.

It's perfectly fair to say that Wendell is overrated. Even when he's healthy, hes basically just a 11-10 guy with the game of a paint bully, except that he's 6'9 and not very aggressive. His shotblocking and offense regressed, but nobody could say you're wrong to blame that on coaching (the shot blocking in particular. damn blitzes)
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,641

Post#13 » by sco » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:17 pm

I think WCJ came into last season out-of-shape. There was talk about "bulking-up" to match-up better, but all I saw was a slower, less explosive player. IMO, one of WCJ's strengths in his rookie year was his lateral quickness, which seemed worse last season. Also, more than any player, I think WCJ has been hurt by line-up inconsistencies (mostly injuries, several his own).

I like Gafford too. He is a Shaq Harrison type energy guy that energizes teammates level of play. If he stays as our back-up, he may be resignable on a decent deal...the problem comes when guys start thinking they are starters.

The reason I chose WCJ was that I think he may be the smartest player on the team and probably the best future leader. Reminds me a little of Noah and Deng in that sense. He is still young and is susceptible to pouting when he is playing bad.
:clap:
aramada
Analyst
And1: 950

Post#14 » by aramada » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:32 pm

I have WCJ because his skill level, technique, and BBIQ are more developed. He’s not much younger though, only 7 months.
Gafford also has upside, and a physical profile that’s more fit for the center position. His skill level seems to limit his ceiling, but who knows the type of jump he can make in year 2. If he works hard enough on his offense and his strength, he can become a solid rotation player and maybe a legit starter down the road.
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,050

Post#15 » by erlim » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:47 pm

I am of the feeling that nobody on our roster is that good; the degree of difference in skill level and value of our players from the top to the bottom of the roster is much closer than most NBA clubs (in that none of our guys are impact players at all.)

Wendell is probably better than Gafford, but not to any sort of critical degree. There’s a part of me that feels like keeping Gafford over Wendell would be analogous to when we shed BJ Armstrong’s salary and kept Steve Kerr way back yonder.

It’s been said many times, but none of the roster is untouchable, in fact, I think just blowing up would be equally or more desirable than trying to tinker around Lavine or Markkanen or Coby or anybody we might have developed a positive biased opinion of. I think we have guys that have ceilings of 8th-10th men on a playoff team.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,708

Post#16 » by dougthonus » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:11 pm

Am okay shopping everyone on the roster.

WCJ, if he he can stay healthy, projects into more of a well rounded two way player, but given the injuries and lack of development so far, I'm not tied to him. Gafford is a guy who could maybe be your starting center if you had a lot of talent at other positions. He wouldn't give you an advantage at the position many nights though. If he continues to develop defensively that might change of course.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#17 » by 2018C3 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:34 pm

I like both guys, I don't think either of them is a player who who will develop into a top tier all star who will become a top two player on a wining team, but both are capable of filling and holding down a position.

My gut tells me Wendell will ultimately have the better career, but the drop off to Gafford is not a huge margin in my opinion. I would be perfectly happy if the new front office keeps both of them, and would not be too upset if one gets traded away.

I just hope Gafford does not get tossed in as filler in another trade, because I think he has more potential than just a filler piece, If Wendell gets traded, it has to be for another starter level player.

I would say Wendell has more skill, and Gafford was gifted with more raw athleticism.

Both are young guys, and each have a way to go. When fully developed I see Wendell playing like a middle career age slightly past prime Elton Brand, and see a little bit of Taj Gibson potential in Gafford in respective to team impact for each of them. Thats If everything goes right in each of their development curves.
BahamaBull
General Manager
And1: 2,123

Post#18 » by BahamaBull » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:09 pm

Everytime I think about Wendell Carter Jr 2 years from this what I get:

ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,913

Post#19 » by ChettheJet » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:52 pm

Gafford is raw on both ends of the floor and he just hasn't played very much. If you want to claim that means he has more potential and upside, that's what everybody claims about the newest guy on the roster at any position. He needs a jumpshot, post moves, defensive awareness and that comes with a year of healthy practice and NBA game minutes. He was a 2nd round pick so every team in the league basically had a chance at him and found how many centers more to their liking,

Be glad you got a good prospect in round 2, develop him and see what he becomes, don't talk big on a rookie that hasn't played 50 games.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#20 » by ATRAIN53 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:54 pm

probably not

I mean WCJ was schooled by Coach K. You know he's got solid fundementals top to bottom-

but if you asked me who plays with a higher motor, who runs the floor hard and plays like his ass is on fire - that Gafford by a mile.

WCJ demeanor and facial expressions make me dislike him.
I never see any energy or fire. It's kinda Khawi-ish.

players who play like Gafford make me enjoy watching basketball.
the fact he's mommas good ole country boy really make me like him even more.

Gafford, Cody White, Dunn, and Zach - those are my untouchables and a core I'd like to see blossom.

Return to Chicago Bulls