ImageImageImage

If this happens, how would you feel?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

If this happens, how would you feel? 

Post#1 » by Jedzz » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:11 am

If say Beasley is not resigned here given what he showed as soon as he got here, how will you feel about it?

I'll be disgusted with all the trading that occured last season if one of the best players to come in from it by all apparent playing so far is lost already.

I realize there is a limit to what they can afford, but I would rather swing for the fences with a few high level shooters than let them walk away and be stuck with another boatload of nonshooters. Your thoughts?
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,125

Re: If this happens, how would you feel? 

Post#2 » by Calinks » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:20 am

Im still happy we got off of Wiggins deal. I will be really bummed if we don't keep Beasley though. I'd live but feel we really botched it by letting him go. Think he can be our long term 2 guard.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,962

Post#3 » by shrink » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:21 am

I think you’re right. It’s an unlikely, but very real, possibility that Beasley gets an offer that is too rich for us to match.

While the whole deal involved four teams, the Nuggets and Wolves part was discrete. We don’t need to discuss the value of Covington - the Nuggets deal was separate and could have been done alone, after the RoCo trade. It ended up being this:

DEN GETS: HOU 1st, Keita Bates-Diop, Noah Vonleh and Shabazz Napier
MIN GETS: Malik Beasley, Juancho Hernangomez, and Jarred Vanderbilt

One of the reasons teams do deals with expiring young players is to audition them, and that has value. They want to see how these players fit next to their current players, in the club house, with the coaches, and especially — to figure out what a reasonable longterm offer would be. Getting Beasley’s Bird rights allow us to match other offers regardless of our cap space, but matching an overpriced offer just makes problems for us down the road.

I think whether we bring back Beasley will depend on what those offers are. Beasley has been underpaid his whole career, so he may be looking for a payday. Unfortunately for him (and fortunately for us), I don’t think he will get one in the COVID economic climate.

I hate to lose the value of any pick, even a late one like the HOU 1st. However, the truth is, most late first round prospects don’t end up making an impact. I hope we will keep Beasley on a reasonable deal, because we can use his shooting, but he is not the perfect fit next to Russell. I hope we don’t match an overpaid deal, just because we don’t want to look like we lost the HOU 1st for nothing. It gives us the option without free cap space — we aren’t locked in.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,135

Post#4 » by winforlose » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:03 am

Jedzz wrote:If say Beasley is not resigned here given what he showed as soon as he got here, how will you feel about it?

I'll be disgusted with all the trading that occured last season if one of the best players to come in from it by all apparent playing so far is lost already.

I realize there is a limit to what they can afford, but I would rather swing for the fences with a few high level shooters than let them walk away and be stuck with another boatload of nonshooters. Your thoughts?

So what does Beasley bring to the table. He is a great scorer with an intense attitude. That said, he played 14 games with us and was a bench player for Denver. His defense was sub par and he had 2-3 games where he disappeared completely for at least a half. Personally I like him for our offense, but I wouldn’t be heartbroken if we lost him. That said, his value is between 12-15. Would Rosas maybe go to 17-18 to match a high end offer, probably. Is a team likely to offer more than that for a pure shooter with a track record of being a bench player on a playoff team, probably not. Moreover, I cannot think of a team that needs him so badly they would risk a multi year overpayment on a player not good enough to start on Denver despite his shooting. I think he is safe.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#5 » by Jedzz » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:45 am

winforlose wrote:
Jedzz wrote:If say Beasley is not resigned here given what he showed as soon as he got here, how will you feel about it?

So what does Beasley bring to the table. He is a great scorer with an intense attitude. That said, he played 14 games with us and was a bench player for Denver. His defense was sub par and he had 2-3 games where he disappeared completely for at least a half. Personally I like him for our offense, but I wouldn’t be heartbroken if we lost him. That said, his value is between 12-15. Would Rosas maybe go to 17-18 to match a high end offer, probably. Is a team likely to offer more than that for a pure shooter with a track record of being a bench player on a playoff team, probably not. Moreover, I cannot think of a team that needs him so badly they would risk a multi year overpayment on a player not good enough to start on Denver despite his shooting. I think he is safe.

Great scorer, intense effort for entire games. That's the kind of players you need to keep the slouches engaged. It's the kind of attitude that keeps your team coming back right to the end to fight. Have enough of these guys and all of a sudden there is always someone picking you back up. It's hard enough to find the average or lousy shooters that are intense effort guys at least. To find an energizer bunny and find out he can find the hoop! You get both with him and I think it would be a massive loss to let him walk. I would overpay if needed. I would overpay just to keep him loving life and charging the team up. I'd want him to love it here.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#6 » by Jedzz » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:51 am

shrink wrote: I hope we will keep Beasley on a reasonable deal, because we can use his shooting, but he is not the perfect fit next to Russell.

Who is the perfect fit next to Russell? No one Wolves can likely attain. I'll take a 3 pt workhorse for a SG any day of the week over the next 50 players someone describes as a more versitile wing but we can't trust their shooting. But that's me. Seems like for as far back as I can remember I've been watching this team play tweeners or players in a position that doesn't look like their best possible position. To find a guy you can say, yeah, now that's a Shooting Guard and you can rely on him. It's really rare here. I think back to maybe Kevin Martin as a solid 2guard coming in and that was the expectation but he ended up already kind of on the down swing and the shooting wasn't his career best once here. More streaky then I expected. Wolves just haven't had them. Do we have to go back to Fred Hoiberg?

I didn't even think much about the Houston pick until you brought it up. I lost a lot of detail in all those trades at the time and was just looking at the outcomes.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#7 » by Calinks » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:33 am

There are a few really key reasons why I value Beasley pretty highly for us.

First of all, he's 23. That's young. He has only been in the NBA for 3 and a half seasons. He still has time to grow and get better he is not a finished product.

Secondly, he has the mindset of a winner, this can be overrated, not every player with that mindset is good but its a big bonus. We need passionate player, guys who will give that extra effort, guys with irrational confidence and a strong aversion to losing.

Finally, he fits the system. We are tailor-made for a player with his skillset. He is a gunner and we got plenty of bullets. It could be the perfect fit for the shape of his game and the way we want to play. I think he's basically the kind of player you want to plug in.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#8 » by theGreatRC » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:36 am

I'll be pretty pissed. Beasley comes off as a gym rat that knows it takes hard work to be great..reminds me of Zach when he was here.

I think a DLO/Beas back court will be one of the top 3 shooting 1/2 combos in the L
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,135

Post#9 » by winforlose » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:38 am

Calinks wrote:There are a few really key reasons why I value Beasley pretty highly for us.

First of all, he's 23. That's young. He has only been in the NBA for 3 and a half seasons. He still has time to grow and get better he is not a finished product.

Secondly, he has the mindset of a winner, this can be overrated, not every player with that mindset is good but its a big bonus. We need passionate player, guys who will give that extra effort, guys with irrational confidence and a strong aversion to losing.

Finally, he fits the system. We are tailor-made for a player with his skillset. He is a gunner and we got plenty of bullets. It could be the perfect fit for the shape of his game and the way we want to play. I think he's basically the kind of player you want to plug in.

Pretend team X offers to bring him in for 20 a year for 4 years. Now pretend the wolves counter with 17 mil a year for 3 years. If MB bets on himself and believes with starting minutes he can become a star, the shorter deal is a plus for him. Also, on the Wolves he is the third option in the offense and going to be kept behind the 3pt line. On another team he might be higher priority. The higher the priority, the tougher the defender and the more likely you are to get doubled (something he cannot handle.) If MB wants to raise his stock for years to come, his best bet is playing for us. As you said, his game is a perfect fit with our system. Also, his staying shows loyalty to the team that gave him a shot. Now obviously if someone tries to max him then we let him go. But if it comes down to a couple mil above our price range now you see what the kid is truly about. Is this all about the money, or does he have heart to go along with his attitude.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#10 » by Calinks » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:00 am

I do think we are one of the best situations in the NBA for him to put up big numbers. He can really flourish here, I think any wing player who can shoot can flourish on this team. It's a great fit. I also think its important to show that so future shooters will have us on their radar as a destination.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,962

Post#11 » by shrink » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:06 am

theGreatRC wrote:I think a DLO/Beas back court will be one of the top 3 shooting 1/2 combos in the L

.. and the bottom 3 defensive 1/2 combo’s?

What team would be worse?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#12 » by minimus » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:08 am

I will be pissed as hell. But I hope Rosas and Gupta have calculated risks and have plan B to mitigate them.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#13 » by Calinks » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:13 pm

shrink wrote:
theGreatRC wrote:I think a DLO/Beas back court will be one of the top 3 shooting 1/2 combos in the L

.. and the bottom 3 defensive 1/2 combo’s?

What team would be worse?

No doubt defense is going to be a problem. At this point though I think we need to focus on having one of the best offenses and then work on fixing the defense over the next couple of seasons. The Rockets didn't have a great defense for a while either. No way we are winning a title without good defense but a really high caliber offense can get us int he playoffs and maybe win a series. A good place to start.
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#14 » by Norseman79 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:53 pm

I don't think I could say how I felt until the off-season was over and I see the trade off to not signing him.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 681

Post#15 » by karch34 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:40 pm

I'd be disappointed as Beasley seems to have the offensive game, effort, and leadership capabilities to fit in nicely here. Is he the 3rd option on a contender? Don't know yet but good results with more minutes than he's had previously.

That said I would take the gamble of a non lotto pick and KBD for 3 players with long term fit, especially 2 we likely could never get in FA, everytime. If end result winds up only being a 21 year old Vanderbilt with 2 years NBA/G League experience vs say the 21st pick its probably a wash at worst. Not saying we couldn't get better than Vanderbilt at 21 but I can live with it.

I really think management views Beasley as part of the future unless there's an offer (and I don't know where it would come from) that just doesn't make sense to match. Juancho I see as a piece they like but the $ that they pass at is significantly less.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Post#16 » by KGdaBom » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:06 am

winforlose wrote:

Very well said.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,167

Post#17 » by Neeva » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:44 am

He should get 13-15 million per season anything more is probably overpay.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Post#18 » by KGdaBom » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:56 am

Neeva wrote:He should get 13-15 million per season anything more is probably overpay.

That should be his max. He has 14 games with us after having a crappy 40 or so with Denver.
Macwolf527
Junior
And1: 217

Post#19 » by Macwolf527 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:55 am

For me it depends on the draft. I’m one of the few who struggle with Russell and Beasley in the backcourt together as a championship combination. I always felt like Culver was the better long term solution, but his shooting brings that into question. So longterm, I lean towards Edwards or Ball in the backcourt with Russell. Solely because they have other intangibles that might work better in the long run as mates with Russell. Namely, size, but other things as well. Ball has the playmaking ability and I think Edwards will eventually be a poor mans Dwayne Wade.

To bring all of this back to Beasley. If we land either of those two in the draft, then Beasley would be a better bench option on a championship squad. I think he needs a certain number of shots to be efficient and I don’t think thoses shots are there with a healthy KAT and Russell leading the way. So, you need a player that offers other intangibles like defense, playmaking, or closing ability. Beasley doesn’t offer much outside of shooting in my opinion, which we need of course, desperately. But we already have two high priced one dimensional players in the starting lineup. For us to keep Beasley, we need our 3 and 4 positions to ball out defensively with a touch of shooting.

Ultimately, I think we sign him, but if we bring in Ball or Edwards in the draft, I would strongly consider saving the money on Beasley or signing him as a bench player longterm. That’s under $12 million annually. Anymore than that and I might consider letting him walk with Ball or Edwards in the fold.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#20 » by Jedzz » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:35 am

Neeva wrote:He should get 13-15 million per season anything more is probably overpay.

It seems easy to say such things, but Wolves paid Teague 20/yr, Dieng 16-18/yr, and there are some other names/deals I would rather forget. Here we have a 23 yr old that can really shoot and is known as a full game energizer bunny competitor. I know another big deal hurts and is difficult but I'm really concerned about trying to lowball this guy. Like shrink was sayin, the current financial situation the league is/will be in might impact this. I would just rather not lose him or not piss him off and have him itching to force a trade a year later.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves