Chris Paul
68%

Total votes: 164

SouthJersey
Starter
And1: 144

Re: Isiah Thomas vs Chris Paul 

Post#21 » by SouthJersey » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:47 pm

It may not be his fault, but it's really hard to overlook CP3 terrible playoff record and the drama he caused with his trade demands.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#22 » by The_Hater » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:57 pm

Metallikid wrote:Chris Paul is one of the five greatest point guards of all time. Isiah isn't.

I agree but IT is clearly in the top 10 so it’s not a ridiculous question to ask either.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
ShotCreator
Analyst
And1: 2,328

Post#23 » by ShotCreator » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:26 pm

DaPessimist wrote:If I'm being honest, CP3 is the more talented and complete player.

That said, Zeke clearly has a large edge in intangibles, and I think I would pick him over CP3 for my franchise. Neither guy is going to carry your franchise to a title, and I prefer Zeke's leadership qualities as a #2 guy.

No, he really doesn’t. He wasn’t well liked and even clashed with teammates himself.

Paul had an ego spat with Griffin and known slackers and headcases.

Even the Harden thing was completely overblown. Tilman leaked false information about a feud to justify a trade.
Swinging for the fences.
ShotCreator
Analyst
And1: 2,328

Post#24 » by ShotCreator » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:29 pm

SouthJersey wrote:It may not be his fault, but it's really hard to overlook CP3 terrible playoff record and the drama he caused with his trade demands.

There was no trade demand drama. What are you talking about? This really is the end game of media and narrative driven nonsense that prioritizes things being fun to talk about versus the actual truth.

I’m sure you think he got into a sword fight with the Clippers after going through a “secret tunnel” in 2018 too.
Swinging for the fences.
rtiff68
Veteran
And1: 3,709

Post#25 » by rtiff68 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:05 pm

Mr Peanut wrote:I find it amusing that people will use MJ's accolades to elevate him over LeBron, but in a similar situation here with Isiah and CP3 that rationale goes out the window.

I do agree though that talent wise CP3 probably has the edge, but the fact that Isiah guided his team to two championships whereas CP3 hasn't even sniffed the finals makes it hard to crown the latter.

This isn’t really a fair comparison because MJ had insane statistics AND accolades. Most people who elevate MJ over LeBron use the former’s advantage in accolades as the difference maker between the two, because LeBron’s statistics are obviously otherworldly as well.

Zeke vs. CP3 is an interesting comparison in the sense that its more of a pure “stats vs. accolades” debate. One would expect someone with CP3’s numbers (traditional and advanced) to have a FAR more impressive playoff resume; conversely, one would also expect the best player on a two time champion (that went through Magic, Bird, and MJ, on top of that) to be FAR more impressive statistically.
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,000

Post#26 » by jokeboy86 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:10 pm

Love Isiah but I'll take Paul. Chris Paul with a sidekick who's not mentally weak probably gets a ring and is probably the best pg of the past two decades. Heck Chris Paul playing his career in the East probably has a couple of MVPs as well.
Buckets22
Sixth Man
And1: 1,510

Post#27 » by Buckets22 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:13 pm

Is that a joke? Zeke over CP3 all the time, ALL THE TIME.

CP3 played in the easiest era for guards and did jack, watch some games instead of DPRTF per 36, if you put him above Isiah Thomas.
:king: King James Peoples' MVP 2020 :king:
limbo
Veteran
And1: 2,677

Post#28 » by limbo » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:20 pm

Isiah isn't eve close to Paul. Not in the same stratosphere.
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#29 » by Galloisdaman » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:24 pm

CP has had a great career but there are other guys at PG that played during his time I would prefer over CP3 starting with Curry.

In regards to Isiah its hard to say. Isiah was not a big driven by stats guy but he did what it took to win. He could have averaged 23ppg-25ppg in this more me first high stats driven era.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 23,972

Post#30 » by cupcakesnake » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:33 pm

Moved to Player Comparison forum. Please post future player comparison topics here.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 36,296

Post#31 » by Tor_Raps » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:38 pm

Mr Peanut wrote:I find it amusing that people will use MJ's accolades to elevate him over LeBron, but in a similar situation here with Isiah and CP3 that rationale goes out the window.

I do agree though that talent wise CP3 probably has the edge, but the fact that Isiah guided his team to two championships whereas CP3 hasn't even sniffed the finals makes it hard to crown the latter.

Ya I dont really understand this. I never got to see Isiah play but the man was the first option on back to back championship teams.

People still go crazy over iverson losing in the finals that one season but isiah cant get any love for winning twice? Guess I'll never be able to understand.
No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Post#32 » by No-more-rings » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:54 pm

That’s not the same at all. Mj and Lebron have comparable stats, Thomas and Paul do not.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,315

Post#33 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:48 pm

GregOden wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:
DaPessimist wrote:If I'm being honest, CP3 is the more talented and complete player.

That said, Zeke clearly has a large edge in intangibles, and I think I would pick him over CP3 for my franchise. Neither guy is going to carry your franchise to a title, and I prefer Zeke's leadership qualities as a #2 guy.

I’m confused- Zeke was the best player on 2 championship teams

I was gonna say something about Billups, but then I saw your screen name. I realized your confusion was purely manufactured :lol:

I get what you are saying, but I don’t think it is clear that Billups was the best piston, while Isiah was definitely the best piston in those runs. Isiah was definitely a better player than Billups
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,961

Post#34 » by Metallikid » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:04 pm

The_Hater wrote:
Metallikid wrote:Chris Paul is one of the five greatest point guards of all time. Isiah isn't.

I agree but IT is clearly in the top 10 so it’s not a ridiculous question to ask either.

I mean that's probably true for most people but it's not a universal truth. Isiah was a better scorer for his era (no significant three point shooting) but Chris Paul basically does everything Isiah did but better, and way better on defense.
Lost92Bricks
Starter
And1: 2,428

Post#35 » by Lost92Bricks » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:24 pm

Not all players are comparable. Isiah can't be compared to CP3. He should be compared to Chauncey Billups. Chauncey was an elite point guard who won a championship and Finals MVP on a great Pistons team. Both players are known for being clutch and having championship intangibles.

Isiah and CP3 are not close to eachother in whichever way you look at it.
SouthJersey
Starter
And1: 144

Post#36 » by SouthJersey » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:32 pm

ShotCreator wrote:
SouthJersey wrote:It may not be his fault, but it's really hard to overlook CP3 terrible playoff record and the drama he caused with his trade demands.

There was no trade demand drama. What are you talking about? This really is the end game of media and narrative driven nonsense that prioritizes things being fun to talk about versus the actual truth.

I’m sure you think he got into a sword fight with the Clippers after going through a “secret tunnel” in 2018 too.

Wow talk about sensitive....attempting to bate people into a political argument because you disagree with someone. Go argue your extreme ideologies with someone else.He definitely did cause drama with his trade demands to specific teams when he was in New Orleans.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,568

Post#37 » by homecourtloss » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:17 am

limbo wrote:Isiah isn't eve close to Paul. Not in the same stratosphere.

Whopper_Sr wrote:Chris Paul is vastly superior offensively AND more impactful defensively.

Peak -> Paul by far
Prime -> Paul (08, 09, 11-18 > peak Isiah)
Longevity -> Obviously Paul

Paul is a top 20 all time player. Isiah is not even in the top 50. No contest.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,221

Post#38 » by ardee » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:24 pm

It's Paul and not even close. He has 10 top 5 level seasons. You an argue Isiah doesn't even have 1.

Completely different classes of players... like comparing Tim Duncan to Kevin McHale maybe.

Sent from my SM-A505F using RealGM mobile app
No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Post#39 » by No-more-rings » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:54 pm

ardee wrote:It's Paul and not even close. He has 10 top 5 level seasons. You an argue Isiah doesn't even have 1.

Slight exaggeration. 08-17 minus 2010 due to injury is 9 at most. And like 4-5 of those years he either missed playoff games or had significant injuries. 09, 12, 15 and 16 at least. Also 2014+2017 he missed 20+ games both seasons. I figured by now the idea of Paul being some iron man was debunked.
woinf
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#40 » by woinf » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:07 pm

The fact that this is even a question shows you how overvalued rings are.

Return to Player Comparisons