Increasing Number Of COVID-19 Cases In Florida Raising Concern Among Players, Executives

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Increasing Number Of COVID-19 Cases In Florida Raising Concern Among Players, Executives 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:40 am

The rising number of COVID-19 places in Florida is raising concern from players and team executives across the league, reported Baxter Holmes and Zach Lowe of ESPN.

Florida recorded 4,049 new cases on Saturday, posting a new record high for the third consecutive day.

Adam Silver acknowledged the rising rates in a recent call, which one executive described as tense.

Silver expressed resolve and confidence in continuing the plan to resume the season in Orlando.

Players expressed their concern earlier this week about how Walt Disney World staffers would not be subject to testing, though it was cited that most of the new cases are not in Orlando.

NBA spokesman Mike Bass told ESPN that the league is "closely monitoring the data in Florida and Orange County and will continue to work collaboratively with the National Basketball Players Association, public health officials and medical experts regarding our plans."

NBPA executive director Michele Roberts brought up the possibility of adding restrictions to Disney staffers, though it may not be possible given that many Disney employees are in a union.

Via Baxter Holmes & Zach Lowe/ESPN

FreeBoosie
Senior
And1: 119

Re: Increasing Number Of COVID-19 Cases In Florida Raising Concern Among Players, Executives 

Post#2 » by FreeBoosie » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:59 am

Lol Silver probably pissed af right now. Odds keep stacking against him and the owners because of all the obstacles that come up everyday that could keep them from lining up their pockets. From Dr Fauci indirectly saying it’s a bad idea, BLM/Kyrie’s coalition against resuming to now this. Highly doubt the season resumes.
Hans1984
Pro Prospect
And1: 307

Re: Increasing Number Of COVID-19 Cases In Florida Raising Concern Among Players, Executives 

Post#3 » by Hans1984 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:29 am

Chances are high this whole thing gets cancled.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,010

Post#4 » by Lalouie » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:51 am

wait a minute. i thought EVERYONE was tested. to not test the disney staffers is insane, ridiculous, and absent minded all at once
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,037

Post#5 » by Revived » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:23 pm

FreeBoosie wrote:Lol Silver probably pissed af right now. Odds keep stacking against him and the owners because of all the obstacles that come up everyday that could keep them from lining up their pockets. From Dr Fauci indirectly saying it’s a bad idea, BLM/Kyrie’s coalition against resuming to now this. Highly doubt the season resumes.

It doesn’t just affect Silver and the owners, it affects the players too.

The owners likely have a crap ton of money saved up so they can survive a year or whatever without revenue. It will be harder for the players to survive without getting any pay check. CJ McCollum recently said that he estimates half the nba players to be living on pay check to pay check because of their lavish lifestyle and having big groups of entourage on their payroll. Imagine that while on $0 income.

Not to mention that future salary caps are going to be lowered by an insane rate which is even worse than not getting paid at all for this season.

It’s going to be worse on the players than it is the owners or Silver if the season gets cancelled.
Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 366

Post#6 » by Elnegron » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:05 pm

Revived wrote:
FreeBoosie wrote:Lol Silver probably pissed af right now. Odds keep stacking against him and the owners because of all the obstacles that come up everyday that could keep them from lining up their pockets. From Dr Fauci indirectly saying it’s a bad idea, BLM/Kyrie’s coalition against resuming to now this. Highly doubt the season resumes.

The owners likely have a crap ton of money saved up so they can survive a year or whatever without revenue. It will be harder for the players to survive without getting any pay check. CJ McCollum recently said that he estimates half the nba players to be living on pay check to pay check because of their lavish lifestyle and having big groups of entourage on their payroll. Imagine that while on $0 income.

Not to mention that future salary caps are going to be lowered by an insane rate which is even worse than not getting paid at all for this season.

It’s going to be worse on the players than it is the owners or Silver if the season gets cancelled.

U freaking worry about how a millionaire that already got 75% of their salary can be affect if there is no season? Lmao gtfoh dude
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,037

Post#7 » by Revived » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:25 pm

Elnegron wrote:
Revived wrote:

U freaking worry about how a millionaire that already got 75% of their salary can be affect if there is no season? Lmao gtfoh dude

What? Which part of my post did you think indicates that I “worry“ about NBA players salaries, “dude”?
aguifs
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,430

Post#8 » by aguifs » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:57 pm

Increased number of cases means increased number of deaths?

This whole panic is crazy. I work for an airline. We have 6k crew personnel flying since day one from the Covid crisis. Number of deaths = 0

Simple as that. If you want to play good. If not, stay home
#FIREAKME #BOYCOTTABULL #REINSDORKSELLTHEFRANCHISE
Elnegron
Rookie

Post#9 » by Elnegron » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:29 pm

Revived wrote:
Elnegron wrote:
Revived wrote:It doesn’t just affect Silver and the owners, it affects the players too.

What? Which part of my post did you think indicates that I “worry“ about NBA players salaries, “dude”?

It would be harder for players to survive without a paycheck really?. If that's harder for them imagine a $12 hr job paying rent of $1k plus. Millionaires can adjust how much they willing to spend on bills, average Americans can't
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#10 » by Cookin Baskets » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:55 pm

If players can get tested then so should staffers who are around those players but also for their safety as well.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
castor777
Senior
And1: 110

Post#11 » by castor777 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:38 pm

Lalouie wrote:wait a minute. i thought EVERYONE was tested. to not test the disney staffers is insane, ridiculous, and absent minded all at once

With the Disney staffers, testing isn't the only obstacle. Getting the staff to be tested regularly, but also work in their own bubble environment would have to be negotiated with the staffs union. The workers themselves would probably welcome this as it'd mean renegotiating their salaries and probably work out better health insurance to be asked to do this. Disney is on the other hand... well, just Google how Disney treats their hotel and theme park staff, they're cheap as hell.
Chi Dynasty12
Analyst
And1: 140

Post#12 » by Chi Dynasty12 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:42 pm

Shocking that cases are going up; it's almost like it's a contagious pandemic that we've known about for months now :crazy:
Chicago Bears 2025 Super Bowl Champions
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,471

Post#13 » by GoSixersBro » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:25 pm

Elnegron wrote:
Revived wrote:
Elnegron wrote:U freaking worry about how a millionaire that already got 75% of their salary can be affect if there is no season? Lmao gtfoh dude

It would be harder for players to survive without a paycheck really?. If that's harder for them imagine a $12 hr job paying rent of $1k plus. Millionaires can adjust how much they willing to spend on bills, average Americans can't

You are missing his point entirely. He was comparing the saving/spending habits of NBA (billionaire) owners and some NBA players per McCollum. Just because you make millions of dollars per year does not mean each player has a bank account with millions saved. Mansions, luxury cars, vacations, clubbing, gambling, alcohol, jewelry, supporting friends/family can deplete that money fast and there are countless examples of pro athletes from every sport going broke.

Obviously Americans earning minimum wage have it harder, nobody is disagreeing with that. But not all pro basketball players are smart with their personal finances and are sitting on millions or hundreds of thousands of cushion money.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
Elnegron
Rookie

Post#14 » by Elnegron » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:36 pm

Like I said nba players have options and can adjust to the way they can live and spend their money . If they not smart enough to know what to do instead of buying 5 cars and 7 diamond chains or spending $1m in a night on stripping ho's so they can brag about that's on them. Am not gonna sit here and feel bad for a millionaire player that will lose his money for being dumb. I get the average fan wants to see game for pure entertainment but if the season is canceled so be it. I will not be here worrying about McCollum losing $600K when he average ready got $14m for the first 65 games. Owners and players will lose money this year, the rest of the population have been losing all their life
Desiderium
Veteran
And1: 644

Post#15 » by Desiderium » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:55 pm

while number of cases are increasing, that's not a good indicator as the nation as a whole is doing much more testing. Look at hospitalization, percent positive, and deaths. much better indicators.

the entire country is returning to work, I myself went from working 100% from home to 50% at home and 50% in the office. Why should NBA players be excluded? They have more precautions placed in regards to keeping them isolated and testing than any other business. Life goes on, if you're gonna cancel this season you might as well cancel the next season too since we likely won't see a vaccine until early 2021.
Knick4Real
General Manager
And1: 7,152

Post#16 » by Knick4Real » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:23 pm

It's no surprise cases have increased rapidly in Florida. They reopened earlier than any other state and have been extremely lax with such precautions as face masks and social distancing. They merely shut down for a few months, then immediately went back to business as usual as if nothing ever happened. Naturally, the players have every reason to be concerned.

If Disney workers are allowed to come and go inside the bubble without the same testing as everyone else, then there's no need for a bubble. That bubble is useless the first day a non-tested outsider walks in. I know the NBA and the fans want to get back to normal, but this plan obviously needs A LOT of work!
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,852

Post#17 » by Jabroni Lames » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:44 pm

Why are the Raptors practicing in a Covid hotspot.... outside of the bubble?
castor777
Senior
And1: 110

Post#18 » by castor777 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:13 pm

Elnegron wrote:Like I said nba players have options and can adjust to the way they can live and spend their money . If they not smart enough to know what to do instead of buying 5 cars and 7 diamond chains or spending $1m in a night on stripping ho's so they can brag about that's on them. Am not gonna sit here and feel bad for a millionaire player that will lose his money for being dumb. I get the average fan wants to see game for pure entertainment but if the season is canceled so be it. I will not be here worrying about McCollum losing $600K when he average ready got $14m for the first 65 games. Owners and players will lose money this year, the rest of the population have been losing all their life

You're arguing with no one but yourself. You're standing on a soap box acting like you're lecturing millionaire athletes on how to handle their finances when nobody cares, they were only stating players probably want to still get paid opposed to not getting paid. I appreciate the humor in you clowning yourself, but let it go already.
aguifs
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,430

Post#19 » by aguifs » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:39 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:Why are the Raptors practicing in a Covid hotspot.... outside of the bubble?

Trudeau, Canada
#FIREAKME #BOYCOTTABULL #REINSDORKSELLTHEFRANCHISE
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#20 » by Vegeta10176 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:32 am

castor777 wrote:
Elnegron wrote:Like I said nba players have options and can adjust to the way they can live and spend their money . If they not smart enough to know what to do instead of buying 5 cars and 7 diamond chains or spending $1m in a night on stripping ho's so they can brag about that's on them. Am not gonna sit here and feel bad for a millionaire player that will lose his money for being dumb. I get the average fan wants to see game for pure entertainment but if the season is canceled so be it. I will not be here worrying about McCollum losing $600K when he average ready got $14m for the first 65 games. Owners and players will lose money this year, the rest of the population have been losing all their life

You're arguing with no one but yourself. You're standing on a soap box acting like you're lecturing millionaire athletes on how to handle their finances when nobody cares, they were only stating players probably want to still get paid opposed to not getting paid. I appreciate the humor in you clowning yourself, but let it go already.

There are actually people that care about the ridicolous wealth inequality which is creating a third world country inside of the US it already has become a dystopia the Billionaires wealth and numbers are increasing while unemployment is rapidly rising..

Return to Wiretap Discussion