ImageImageImageImageImage

49ers to give Kyle Shanahan new 6-year contract

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

49ers to give Kyle Shanahan new 6-year contract 

Post#1 » by GS Warriors 1 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:57 pm

Schefter: 49ers to rip up current deal and give Shanahan new 6-year contract through 2025.

Various reports out there that it'll be in the top 5 salary for Head Coaches.

Read on Twitter
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Re: 49ers to give Kyle Shanahan new 6-year contract 

Post#2 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:26 pm

I wonder what Lynch is thinking.
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#3 » by I_am_1z » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:59 am

Best playbook in the league secured. Now, I hope can swallow his pride and take a backseat when it comes to 4th quarter playcalling duties.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#4 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:47 pm

Yeah, my only concern with Shanahan is his game management. The playcalling late in the SB actually wasn't bad. He was getting guys open, but there was kind of a perfect storm of Garoppolo not seeing them, Chris Jones batting balls at the line (three!!!), Person getting dominated, and Garoppolo missing open players.

The bigger issue in that game was Shanahan's overall approach. Not taking a serious shot at scoring at the end of the second was criminal. Our offense was moving the ball almost at will, but we let so much time run off the clock that when Kittle was called for PI, we had no chance to do anything. We needed points. And going into a shell at the end of the half - precisely the time you should be trying to drive down and add points - was a common thread in our losses this year.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:08 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Yeah, my only concern with Shanahan is his game management. The playcalling late in the SB actually wasn't bad. He was getting guys open, but there was kind of a perfect storm of Garoppolo not seeing them, Chris Jones batting balls at the line (three!!!), Person getting dominated, and Garoppolo missing open players.

The bigger issue in that game was Shanahan's overall approach. Not taking a serious shot at scoring at the end of the second was criminal. Our offense was moving the ball almost at will, but we let so much time run off the clock that when Kittle was called for PI, we had no chance to do anything. We needed points. And going into a shell at the end of the half - precisely the time you should be trying to drive down and add points - was a common thread in our losses this year.

I think Shanahan gets burned when he's aggressive so he gets a little more conservative, then when he gets a little more conservative he gets called out on it too. There really is no winning for him at this point. The real issue was the injuries and the defense not being able to get a number of critical stops.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#6 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:51 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Yeah, my only concern with Shanahan is his game management. The playcalling late in the SB actually wasn't bad. He was getting guys open, but there was kind of a perfect storm of Garoppolo not seeing them, Chris Jones batting balls at the line (three!!!), Person getting dominated, and Garoppolo missing open players.

I think Shanahan gets burned when he's aggressive so he gets a little more conservative, then when he gets a little more conservative he gets called out on it too. There really is no winning for him at this point. The real issue was the injuries and the defense not being able to get a number of critical stops.

Injuries happen every year, and this team was relatively healthy come the playoffs. Saying that was the issue is a major cop out IMO.

The offense needed to put up more than 20 points against the Chiefs. Defense bears their share of the blame for the late collapse, but they were sensational for three-and-a-half quarters. If the offense had executed the same way, the Niners win that one going away.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,247

Post#7 » by wco81 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:18 am

He has one good season out of 3 and they extend his contract?

Besides play calling I would say personnel management has been hit and miss.

They're in the window now though, unless they drop way off from last year, when a lot of things went right -- and two seasons ago, a lot went wrong.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#8 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:56 pm

wco81 wrote:He has one good season out of 3 and they extend his contract?

Besides play calling I would say personnel management has been hit and miss.

They're in the window now though, unless they drop way off from last year, when a lot of things went right -- and two seasons ago, a lot went wrong.

The first two years were fairly exceptional circumstances, and the first year things kind of went his way his team had a dominant season and came close to hoisting the Lombardi. Shanahan is an incredible playcaller, and he has the locker room in a stellar place. He has some warts, including overestimating his eye for talent and then overpaying (contracts and draft capital) to get a specific player - but hopefully those are things he can improve. I am completely on board with this extension.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:21 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Injuries happen every year, and this team was relatively healthy come the playoffs. Saying that was the issue is a major cop out IMO.

The offense needed to put up more than 20 points against the Chiefs. Defense bears their share of the blame for the late collapse, but they were sensational for three-and-a-half quarters. If the offense had executed the same way, the Niners win that one going away.

The 49ers were the 4th most injured team in the NFL and made it to the SB despite it. The beginning of the season was domination, then injuries hit and they had to keep changing the way they played because of them. The fact that despite having so many critical injuries they won so many games and they kept making adjustments that worked at all was, to me, a sign of good coaching.

I'm not saying Shanahan is perfect, but neither was Walsh or any other coach. Shanahan's scheme is at Walsh' level for innovation, but I agree his play calling does get strange at times.
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#10 » by I_am_1z » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:45 pm

You keep saying this contrary to what the leaders on the Chiefs defense thought.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#11 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:19 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:

As if on cue, Samuel breaks his foot. Injuries are an issue every year. You've got to be able to absorb them and keep moving forward.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:36 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:As if on cue, Samuel breaks his foot. Injuries are an issue every year. You've got to be able to absorb them and keep moving forward.

Sure, but there are limits. The 49ers were the 4th most injured team in the NFL. Making the Super Bowl after having that many injuries is extremely rare.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#13 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:25 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

The 49ers were the 4th most injured team in the NFL and made it to the SB despite it. The beginning of the season was domination, then injuries hit and they had to keep changing the way they played because of them. The fact that despite having so many critical injuries they won so many games and they kept making adjustments that worked at all was, to me, a sign of good coaching.

I'm not saying Shanahan is perfect, but neither was Walsh or any other coach. Shanahan's scheme is at Walsh' level for innovation, but I agree his play calling does get strange at times.

There are a lot of different ways to measure injury impact. I haven't seen one that has the Niners as the fourth-most injured team, but certainly they had a lot and some fairly significant ones. That said, I disagree with your review of the season. The Niners were dominant early in part because they were playing bad teams. Tampa Bay, Cincy, Cleveland. They should have dominated those (and they did not dominate Tampa Bay, for the record). They hit a rough patch in the middle of the season, losing three or four OTs, Kittle, Jusczcyk, Ford, Alexander, Richburg, where they were in a bad place. But they got most of those guys back for the playoffs and were once again dominant as they showed in absolutely steam-rolling both NCF teams en route to the Super Bowl.

And I agree that Shanahan was fairly masterful in winning big games despite, for instance, starting his fourth and fifth OTs. I just think it's an oversimplification and an excuse to blame the Super Bowl loss on injuries. We were relatively healthy by that game.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#14 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:29 pm

I_am_1z wrote:

You keep saying this contrary to what the leaders on the Chiefs defense thought.

I keep saying it because I've watched the film repeatedly. And it's self-serving for the Chiefs' players to blame Shanahan. They don't want the general public to realize that Kittle was running wide open across the field and Garoppolo just didn't see him, or Chris Jones batted the ball. They want people to forget that Sanders was wide open for a ball that could have won the game (I think it's a stretch to say "would have" given how our D looked at that point), and that Bourne was even more open on that same play. We had open guys running all over the field in the fourth quarter, so Shanahan was doing his job in my view.

No, he was not perfect. Our OL, especially Person, were getting pretty badly schooled, and he arguably should have protected his QB more, but conversely, you can absolutely criticize him for crucial plays where he kept Kittle in to block. There's plenty there to nit-pick, but at the end of the day, Shanahan wasn't the reason they lost IMO. At least not in the fourth quarter. I think the end of the second quarter was more telling in that loss.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Post#15 » by Pattersonca65 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:32 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

There are a lot of different ways to measure injury impact. I haven't seen one that has the Niners as the fourth-most injured team, but certainly they had a lot and some fairly significant ones. That said, I disagree with your review of the season. The Niners were dominant early in part because they were playing bad teams. Tampa Bay, Cincy, Cleveland. They should have dominated those (and they did not dominate Tampa Bay, for the record). They hit a rough patch in the middle of the season, losing three or four OTs, Kittle, Jusczcyk, Ford, Alexander, Richburg, where they were in a bad place. But they got most of those guys back for the playoffs and were once again dominant as they showed in absolutely steam-rolling both NCF teams en route to the Super Bowl.

And I agree that Shanahan was fairly masterful in winning big games despite, for instance, starting his fourth and fifth OTs. I just think it's an oversimplification and an excuse to blame the Super Bowl loss on injuries. We were relatively healthy by that game.

I believe it was Football Outsiders that listed them as the 4th most injured team
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Post#16 » by Pattersonca65 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:35 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/4/17/21224196/49ers-were-the-fourth-most-injury-struck-team-in-2019-according-to-football-outsiders
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#17 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:23 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/4/17/21224196/49ers-were-the-fourth-most-injury-struck-team-in-2019-according-to-football-outsiders

That's what the headline says. Oddly, the spreadsheet has them sixth. Look, either way, it's a lot of injuries, and I'm not denying that. But they had a rash of injuries early on and were pretty healthy - and clicking on both sides of the ball - going into the SB.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#18 » by Jikkle » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:46 am

Extension is a no brainer as I'd consider him a top 5 coach in the league right now.

Obviously the concern is he going to be an Andy Reid and be a top flight coach that will take 20 years before he wins one if he ever does.

It is finally nice to have a healthy stable franchise after all these years of dysfunction under the Yorks. Seems like Jed finally learned to keep quite and stay out of the way.
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#19 » by I_am_1z » Wed Sep 9, 2020 5:31 pm

Don't think there's been mention of this anywhere, but shouldn't there be a reasonable amount of speculation Kyle and Mike Shanahan may have taken part in the "bombshell" story out of Washington?
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,247

Post#20 » by wco81 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:28 pm

Talk about way premature.

Return to San Francisco 49ers