ImageImageImage

Let's start the rebuild!

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Re: Let's start the rebuild! 

Post#261 » by BJK1 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:26 pm

Thoughts on Nerlens Noel? I didn’t realize he was a FA this offseason. Played for OKC these past two seasons, kind of rehabbing his reputation after his time in Dallas. Even assuming the Pistons resign Wood, they need another big. Still decidedly a defensive guy, but at just 26 yrs old, he remains very athletic with a 7’4”ish wing span. Strikes me as the kind of undervalued guy with something to prove that Joe D targeted in building the 00’s team.

Rod Beard makes a very brief mention of Noel in the latter part of this article:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2020/06/19/beard-new-pistons-gm-troy-weaver-lets-get-down-brass-tacks/3223235001/
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#262 » by Manocad » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:44 pm

BJK1 wrote:Thoughts on Nerlens Noel? I didn’t realize he was a FA this offseason. Played for OKC these past two seasons, kind of rehabbing his reputation after his time in Dallas. Even assuming the Pistons resign Wood, they need another big. Still decidedly a defensive guy, but at just 26 yrs old, he remains very athletic with a 7’4”ish wing span. Strikes me as the kind of undervalued guy with something to prove that Joe D targeted in building the 00’s team.

Rod Beard makes a very brief mention of Noel in the latter part of this article:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2020/06/19/beard-new-pistons-gm-troy-weaver-lets-get-down-brass-tacks/3223235001/

Never been a fan. I always thought he was over hyped.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#263 » by MotownMadness » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:44 pm

BJK1 wrote:Thoughts on Nerlens Noel? I didn’t realize he was a FA this offseason. Played for OKC these past two seasons, kind of rehabbing his reputation after his time in Dallas. Even assuming the Pistons resign Wood, they need another big. Still decidedly a defensive guy, but at just 26 yrs old, he remains very athletic with a 7’4”ish wing span. Strikes me as the kind of undervalued guy with something to prove that Joe D targeted in building the 00’s team.

Nerlens Noels advanced stats are pretty nice especially defensively. Hopefully we go after a young center project like him or Giles in FA. They should come at a fair price too.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#264 » by Invictus88 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:25 pm

MotownMadness wrote:

Nerlens Noels advanced stats are pretty nice especially defensively. Hopefully we go after a young center project like him or Giles in FA. They should come at a fair price too.

For the next few years we should be getting contracts that are:
1. Cheap roster fillers that are preferably young on 1-2 year deals.
2. Lotto ticket FA's that haven't panned out elsewhere due to extenuating circumstances on short deals.
3. Lotto ticket FA's from developmental leagues, etc.
4. Salary dumps attached with draft picks from win now teams looking to sign vets.

We should be avoiding:
1. Veterans signing for anything above the minimum.
2. Veterans requiring a dedicated amount of minutes that would be taken away from developing prospects.
3. Transactions that are only geared towards winning within the next few years; without much likelihood of ending up positive asset-wise afterwards.

So I guess I'm okay with Noel provided he's cheap. But given the fact that he's already 26 I wouldn't expect much more than he's already shown already.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#265 » by DetroitDon15 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:52 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
DetroitDon15 wrote:
I don’t see the offensive upside of Aomori. My concern is that he is Stanley Johnson 2.0. He’s not a good distance shooter. I’m going for highest upside overall. I’m taking Edwards, Ball, Wiseman, Hayes, and Toppin (I’m taking Toppin over him cause I know what he does) all over him.
The last DX Mock I saw they had Okoro at #3...they're usually a pretty good judge.

The comparisons I've read are Jaylen Brown. He's not quite yet a offensive juggernaut but he's definitely improved since being drafted.

That's the key - we need to get someone who not only is driven to improve but who can actually translate it to games.

I think Stanley Johnson did work hard, he just could never put that on the floor during a game.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app

Best comparison i can think of when watching him is a guy like Winslow. He could be a two way star if he gets better offensively but right now he doesn't really look for his own buckets as much as he does just playing glue guy doing some defending and playmaking. He's actually a pretty good passer.

That's why where he's at right now with his defense and playmaking i like the Winslow comp. With Okoro its more about hoping he changes his mentality from role player to alpha like a Edwards mentality to take him top 3

I agree with you. I like Ball more because his upside is higher and I feel PG is a bigger need than wing player at this time.
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,943

Post#266 » by ducler » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:15 am

Let's start the restore lol
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,374

Post#267 » by Billl » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:16 pm

MotownMadness wrote:

meh. Wouldn't be too upset, but I just don't see the upside. Decent defender and shotblocker and I'd definitely take him over Maker, but that isn't saying much. I'd honestly lean towards just bringing in more gleague type guys or unloved second rounders.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#268 » by Pharaoh » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:32 am

DetroitDon15 wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:The last DX Mock I saw they had Okoro at #3...they're usually a pretty good judge.

The comparisons I've read are Jaylen Brown. He's not quite yet a offensive juggernaut but he's definitely improved since being drafted.

That's the key - we need to get someone who not only is driven to improve but who can actually translate it to games.

I think Stanley Johnson did work hard, he just could never put that on the floor during a game.

Best comparison i can think of when watching him is a guy like Winslow. He could be a two way star if he gets better offensively but right now he doesn't really look for his own buckets as much as he does just playing glue guy doing some defending and playmaking. He's actually a pretty good passer.

That's why where he's at right now with his defense and playmaking i like the Winslow comp. With Okoro its more about hoping he changes his mentality from role player to alpha like a Edwards mentality to take him top 3

I agree with you. I like Ball more because his upside is higher and I feel PG is a bigger need than wing player at this time.
Not a fan of Ball because he's suspect on both ends of the floor.

Poor D, poor shooting. Might have a higher upside than Okongwu or Okoro but still a seriously flawed prospect

Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#269 » by Manocad » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:18 am

Invictus88 wrote:So I guess I'm okay with Noel provided he's cheap. But given the fact that he's already 26 I wouldn't expect much more than he's already shown already.

That's where I'm at with him. At this point I don't think he's going to be anything more than he already is, thus there's no point in adding him to the team now. I'd rather see young, don't know what they're going to be yet players see time before someone like Noel. He'd be a decent bench big that you'd add once you've filled out your team and need a decent bench big man as the final (or near final) piece.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#270 » by DetroitDon15 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:41 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
DetroitDon15 wrote:
MotownMadness wrote: Best comparison i can think of when watching him is a guy like Winslow. He could be a two way star if he gets better offensively but right now he doesn't really look for his own buckets as much as he does just playing glue guy doing some defending and playmaking. He's actually a pretty good passer.

Not a fan of Ball because he's suspect on both ends of the floor.

Poor D, poor shooting. Might have a higher upside than Okongwu or Okoro but still a seriously flawed prospect

I might potentially agree with you on the defensive side of Ball's game. I think that is more coachable with a guy like Casey. I disagree with poor shooting. I think that shot selection might be more of the key. I think with proper coaching that it would be better. I absolutely disagree that he is seriously flawed. He has one of the highest upside in this draft.
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#271 » by rmfc » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:44 pm

BJK1 wrote:Thoughts on Nerlens Noel? I didn’t realize he was a FA this offseason.

I'd like to see him signed by the Pistons but only if it's a short contract.
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 564

Post#272 » by LaSheed » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:00 pm

Just did lottery simulator.

#1. GS. #2. DET #3. CLE #4. NY

Say GS takes Edward's/Wiseman.

I know Ball has the most upside but I wouldn't see him being happy here and his work ethic has been questioned something Weaver is definitely looking for. NY new regime is gonn be looking for their star player. What would be enough to swap from #2 to #4 with NY? #4, Frank Ntilinka, #27 fair or would you want more? Maybe its too much?

Also I've always seen Dallas as a good trade partner for their picks and contract dump with our space.

An idea I seen in the trade forum with Houston and Portland.

We get Eric Gordon, #14, Houston 2022 1st (only way I take that deal is unprotected picks)

I think Houston got Simon's, Hood, Ariza

Portland got Snell and Covington.

Gordon's deal is BAD though.
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#273 » by BJK1 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:50 pm

How bad is Gordon’s deal? The Pistons have the cap space to take on a “bad” contract or two, but it all depends on the duration of those contracts and what assets they get with them.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,521

Post#274 » by snowman » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:29 pm

Celtics fan coming in peace.

Would you guys be interested in the following trade with Boston ?

Derrick Rose
for
Vincent Poirier, Semi Ojeleye, Carson Edwards, Javonte Green, 3 mill cash and the 26th pick in this draft

Poirier is a 7 foot project on an ending contract
Semi is a sf/pf who is 3 and D on an ending contract
Green is and athletic sg on an ending contract
Edwards is a 6'1 pg who can get hot from 3, like he did in a preseason game against you guys last year
3 mill cash to buy out Green and Semi if you want
26th pick is what it is.
Detroit also saves 1.8 mill off their cap. Edwards is the only one on a deal that is not ending, but on min amount per.

Boston needs consistent bench scoring and more vet presence to go along with Marcus Smart and the ret of the rookies off the bench.

Thanks in advance for your time to read, and a reply would be appreciated.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,374

Post#275 » by Billl » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:13 pm

snowman wrote:Celtics fan coming in peace.

Derrick Rose
for
Vincent Poirier, Semi Ojeleye, Carson Edwards, Javonte Green, 3 mill cash and the 26th pick in this draft

Edwards is a 6'1 pg who can get hot from 3, like he did in a preseason game against you guys last year
26th pick is what it is.
Detroit also saves 1.8 mill off their cap. Edwards is the only one on a deal that is not ending, but on min amount per.

Boston needs consistent bench scoring and more vet presence to go along with Marcus Smart and the ret of the rookies off the bench.

I would. No sure management would go for that low of a pick though.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#276 » by vege » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:56 pm

Derrick Rose
for

26th pick is what it is.

Too many wasted roster spots for bad players and a bad pick. I would rather let Rose expire to be honest.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#277 » by Pharaoh » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:30 pm

vege wrote:

Derrick Rose
for

26th pick is what it is.

Too many wasted roster spots for bad players and a bad pick. I would rather let Rose expire to be honest.
The roster spots are only wasted if our organization doesn't believe these guys are worth having, in which case we'd waive them anyway.

Personally I think we can get more for Rose than a bunch of question marks and the 26th pick.

MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#278 » by MotownMadness » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:00 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
vege wrote:

Derrick Rose
for

26th pick is what it is.

The roster spots are only wasted if our organization doesn't believe these guys are worth having, in which case we'd waive them anyway.

Personally I think we can get more for Rose than a bunch of question marks and the 26th pick.

I was a Romeo Langford fan last draft so I'll take him and late pick. Honestly I'd probably take either one just cause Rose is a waste of time here and can create too much of his own offense when we really need to lose our asses off again for that 21 draft.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#279 » by chrbal » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:25 pm

BJK1 wrote:How bad is Gordon’s deal? The Pistons have the cap space to take on a “bad” contract or two, but it all depends on the duration of those contracts and what assets they get with them.

Expires in 23/24. High teens low 20s per year
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#280 » by chrbal » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:48 pm

Derrick Rose
for
Vincent Poirier, Semi Ojeleye, Carson Edwards, Javonte Green, 3 mill cash and the 26th pick

Personally I can’t see Boston trading for rose, I also feel like we can get a better return for rose.

Vincent and javonte will both be 27, so I can’t see Detroit keeping either. I don’t get what Bošton saw in the other two but who knows. Semi had one good year at a small college and Edwards is a 6 foot shooting guard who I don’t think really shot that well in college.

I could see us absorbing 3 of them (Semi, Edwards and one other)and a pick if we can’t reasonably buy a late 1st. Assuming we, hopefully, do a tanking type season.

Return to Detroit Pistons