Too early to start Jazz playoff banter?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,461

Re: Too early to start Jazz playoff banter? 

Post#21 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:27 pm

Rauxcee wrote:This has truly been one of my least favorite seasons. Our players becoming so unlikable only makes it worse.

Call me a bad fan, but I have zero interest in this season continuing.

I think I'm in an even more serious condition--I don't care either way. Not excited about the future of this team either.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#22 » by vryadli » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:38 am

MTJazzv3 wrote:Gobert gets the whiny prima donna label its going to hurt his career. (I'd willfully forgotten him mailing it in a few games there). And if Mitchell wants to lead a locker room one day, he has to be more diplomatic?

that is funniest cut I ever seen on that board. Combining Rudy and primadonna in one sentence is nice on touch and next go suggest t DM who is already arguably most diplomatic player in the league may become even more diplomatic - ...!
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#23 » by stitches » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:26 pm

Mitchell, Royce and Oni :

Also Mitchell posted this pic with caption "What we finna look like in Orlando :D :D "

Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,242

Post#24 » by Catchall » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:37 am

I don't have expectations. I'm just looking forward to seeing some of this circus. If the Jazz can drop to the 5 or 6 seed, that will help our draft position.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#25 » by KqWIN » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:17 pm

When you see how "fans" react to players as human beings, It can really show you why players aren't interested in playing at all.
KDBG
Starter
And1: 1,368

Post#26 » by KDBG » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:22 pm

I wanna see Rayjon Tucker get playing time. Same with Brantley. But Tucker straight has a high ceiling. Athletic ability and work ethic are a deadly combo. May have gotten a steal. I know he's looked bad when he's played, as far as shooting goes. But he looks over excited like Donovan did the first few games of his career.
KDBG
Starter
And1: 1,368

Post#27 » by KDBG » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:23 pm

stitches
RealGM

Post#28 » by stitches » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:47 pm

Read on Twitter
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,461

Post#29 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:24 pm

KDBG wrote:

You mentioned DM possibly leaving to New York in the other thread and now I just can't ignore that NYC shirt...
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#30 » by Crunch 99 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:07 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:
KDBG wrote:

You mentioned DM possibly leaving to New York in the other thread and now I just can't ignore that NYC shirt...

Given his connection to NYC, his charisma and PR talent, can't say I would blame him for wanting to see if he can greatly increase the value of his brand playing in the big media hub. We just have to make sure we get something good in return for the eventual exit.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#31 » by KqWIN » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:01 am

Mitchell is going to want to move on from Utah. Playing for one franchise or playing for a smaller franchise isn't some noble act. Fact is, Mitchell likes the spotlight and he's going to pursue it. It sucks that the Jazz are on the wrong end of this, but it's just reality. Donovan Mitchell is not a player who will stay in Utah forever. You're kidding yourself if you think he's a lifer.
stitches
RealGM

Post#32 » by stitches » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:49 pm

KqWIN wrote:Mitchell is going to want to move on from Utah. Playing for one franchise or playing for a smaller franchise isn't some noble act. Fact is, Mitchell likes the spotlight and he's going to pursue it. It sucks that the Jazz are on the wrong end of this, but it's just reality. Donovan Mitchell is not a player who will stay in Utah forever. You're kidding yourself if you think he's a lifer.

After we lost Hayward(which I will admit hurt a ton) I've decided to never have any illusions and expectations about any player staying with my teams after his contract is over. I will enjoy them while they are here, and just move on to the next iteration of Jazz basketball once they are gone. Make them feel loved and welcomed with the team, try to make the team competitive so they can fulfill their pure basketball pursuits and if that's not enough... oh well... Nothing we can do.

With that said. Mitchell has a playoff run and somewhere between 4 and 5 more years of team control. I will worry about it when the time comes. Now it's time to try to salvage this disaster of a season and then figure out what to do in the 'off-season' and whether we want to tie ourselves to Mitchell in the first place or is it better to try to sell high.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#33 » by KqWIN » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:22 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Mitchell is going to want to move on from Utah. Playing for one franchise or playing for a smaller franchise isn't some noble act. Fact is, Mitchell likes the spotlight and he's going to pursue it. It sucks that the Jazz are on the wrong end of this, but it's just reality. Donovan Mitchell is not a player who will stay in Utah forever. You're kidding yourself if you think he's a lifer.

After we lost Hayward(which I will admit hurt a ton) I've decided to never have any illusions and expectations about any player staying with my teams after his contract is over. I will enjoy them while they are here, and just move on to the next iteration of Jazz basketball once they are gone. Make them feel loved and welcomed with the team, try to make the team competitive so they can fulfill their pure basketball pursuits and if that's not enough... oh well... Nothing we can do.

With that said. Mitchell has a playoff run and somewhere between 4 and 5 more years of team control. I will worry about it when the time comes. Now it's time to try to salvage this disaster of a season and then figure out what to do in the 'off-season' and whether we want to tie ourselves to Mitchell in the first place or is it better to try to sell high.

I guess it's all about getting the best timing/value out of Mitchell. The most likely scenario IMO is that he signs the max, we have 2-3 years of more of the same, and then we flip him and rebuild.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#34 » by Catchall » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:23 pm

KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:

I guess it's all about getting the best timing/value out of Mitchell. The most likely scenario IMO is that he signs the max, we have 2-3 years of more of the same, and then we flip him and rebuild.

Players will always try to negotiate a situation where:
a) They get paid the most amount of money possible, or close to it.
b) They get as much positive publicity and recognition as possible for their personal brand as an athlete.
c) They can win, potentially win a championship, and solidify their legacy.

The disadvantage that Utah and a bunch of smaller markets have is that we don't get the media attention that the teams in the big media markets like LA and New York do. So our guys fly a little under the radar and sometimes feel they don't get the recognition they deserve. This has changed a bit in recent years, and guys in smaller markets, like Damian Lillard and Russell Westbrook, have been able to get superstar recognition. I don't think Rudy Gobert can complain too much. He's been recognized as All NBA, DPOY and an All Star, which is about as much as he deserves, tbh. Mitchell is emerging as a young star in large part because the Jazz have built a team around him. So for now, he's doing about as well as he can expect. At some point, Adidas might want him to be in an east coast media market though.

The other disadvantage is that the superstar players tend to want to play in LA or NY for the same reason. So when one superstar signs with the Lakers in free agency, and another forces a trade there, it creates a competitive disadvantage and makes it harder to win a championship in the smaller market.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
stitches
RealGM

Post#35 » by stitches » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:47 pm

Read on Twitter
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#36 » by MTJazzv3 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:06 am

stitches wrote:
Read on Twitter

It wouldn't surprise me if Ingles is like, "Seriously mate, we're all going to the hottest corona spot in the US (and world) and hang out for a couple months?" I think it remains an open question whether the Orlando bubble is actually going to be a bubble at all, with Disney staff and others coming and going every day, and the yet fully understood modes of transmission with test negative/non-symptomatic actual contagious people. I admit, at this point everything is so much unknown I would have been good with the season cancelled. OTH, the NBA is going to resume the season with due diligence in these unprecedented and uncertain times, and the Jazz have to field a team.

On the latter note, the Jazz FO blackout on just about everything related to the re-start, (witness all the media having not even a kernel of things on Jazz players, fitness, motivation, players using the practice facility), this sure doesn't feel like the playoffs are a month away with a currently 4th seeded team in the WC. When will we see some distanced media interviews with players building a little psyche about even the players fired up to play and leave it on the floor. This whole season-resume roll-out is odd beyond belief.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,407

Post#37 » by MalonesElbows » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:30 am

It is what it is. He's not a superstar so once he's on max money people will be more critical of his off shooting nights. The thing that sucks in NY can't do anything right including draft. There is no one on that team I'd even want, that includes Barret.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#38 » by Catchall » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:50 am

MalonesElbows wrote:

It is what it is. He's not a superstar so once he's on max money people will be more critical of his off shooting nights. The thing that sucks in NY can't do anything right including draft. There is no one on that team I'd even want, that includes Barret.

He's still going to be under team control for 4 more years at least after this. He's going to need to play with a quality big and quality wings if he wants to win. Lead guards like Dame, Kyrie, Westbrook, Kemba, Beal, Booker, etc. haven't shown they can lead a team singlehandedly. Jazz need to get him the money and keep him in a winning situation.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,263

Post#39 » by babyjax13 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:38 am

MalonesElbows wrote:

Barrett is incredible, tbh, I'd definitely think about trading Mitchell for him.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl

Return to Utah Jazz