ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

jeffya2
Veteran
And1: 2,982

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#3401 » by jeffya2 » Wed May 27, 2020 2:12 am

Trump will all but guarantee a 2nd Corona wave in his re election bid
Olympics will be cancelled until 2021

WE be good
frumble
Bench Warmer
And1: 710

Post#3402 » by frumble » Sun May 31, 2020 2:10 am

Nembhard withdrawing from the draft and transferring from Florida.

https://sports.yahoo.com/florida-g-nembhard-withdraws-nba-draft-transfers-183158101--ncaab.html

Anyone have any insight as to where he might end up?
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,484

Post#3403 » by Hair Canada » Sun May 31, 2020 1:24 pm

frumble wrote:Nembhard withdrawing from the draft and transferring from Florida.

https://sports.yahoo.com/florida-g-nembhard-withdraws-nba-draft-transfers-183158101--ncaab.html

Rumors connect him with Gonzaga. Not sure it would happen, but it could be a nice fit for him. Few is one of the best coaches in college basketball and the Bulldogs have arguably the best development programs in the country, with an impressive track record with Canadians (Olynyk, Clarke, Pangos, and Wiltjer).
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
Kenter16
Junior
And1: 91

Post#3404 » by Kenter16 » Sun May 31, 2020 10:59 pm

Hair Canada wrote:
frumble wrote:Nembhard withdrawing from the draft and transferring from Florida.

Rumors connect him with Gonzaga. Not sure it would happen, but it could be a nice fit for him. Few is one of the best coaches in college basketball and the Bulldogs have arguably the best development programs in the country, with an impressive track record with Canadians (Olynyk, Clarke, Pangos, and Wiltjer).
Will he need to sit out a season?

Sent from my SM-G973W using RealGM mobile app
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#3405 » by Hair Canada » Mon Jun 1, 2020 12:00 am

Kenter16 wrote:
Hair Canada wrote:

I think that depends. If the current rules persist, it seems like he will. He doesn't seem to be in any special category, he's not a senior, and his coach at Florida didn't change. That said, before the corona business broke out, I read that the NCAA was considering a rule change that would allow one-time transfers for all athletes without sitting out a season.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaa-takes-step-toward-allowing-one-time-transfers-for-athletes-without-sitting-out/

It seems though like the virus has changes things and this might not happen before the start of next year.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/05/01/ncaa-transfer-rules-waiver-eligibility
— Steve Nash
Kenter16
Junior

Post#3406 » by Kenter16 » Mon Jun 1, 2020 5:10 am

Hair Canada wrote:
Kenter16 wrote:
Hair Canada wrote:

I think that depends. If the current rules persist, it seems like he will. He doesn't seem to be in any special category, he's not a senior, and his coach at Florida didn't change. That said, before the corona business broke out, I read that the NCAA was considering a rule change that would allow one-time transfers for all athletes without sitting out a season.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaa-takes-step-toward-allowing-one-time-transfers-for-athletes-without-sitting-out/

It seems though like the virus has changes things and this might not happen before the start of next year.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/05/01/ncaa-transfer-rules-waiver-eligibility
Hopefully he gets an exemption. Seems silly to transfer and sit. Then he doesn't come out til the 2022 draft.

mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,882

Post#3407 » by mojo13 » Fri Jun 5, 2020 7:05 am

little more clarity coming out with the 20/21 NBA schedule. Nothing certain yet but it looks like the NBA is targeting a full 82 games season that starts December 1st. And that should take the regular season into June - but probably not through all of June. NBA Finals finishing in August sometime. Hopefully that frees up NBA players who miss the playoffs to play in the Olympic Qualifiers and maybe even guys who get knocked out in the first round. Could end up a little like the World Championships in Hockey.

You probably don't get all the players that missed the playoffs and will lose guys to a long season with nagging injuries and needed rest, but it is hopeful that more than a few will suit up.

If going by this years standings available guys would be Barrett, TT, CoJo, NAW, Lyles, Wiggins, Mulder. So enough of a talent boost to the Euro players to win the qualifier if they played.

CoJo, Pangos, NAW, Barrett, Wiggins, Mulder, Stauskas (Ennis, Scrubb)
TT, Lyles, Nicholson, Wiltjer, Ejim

That could do it - and would be a better team than Manila 2016. But maybe a best case scenario. And no Nurse.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#3408 » by mojo13 » Sun Jun 7, 2020 5:25 pm

Some euro news out there

Conor Morgan resigns with Jovantut
Wiltjer resigned with Turk Telecom

Doornekamp looks to be out of Valencia and going back to Tenirife.

Dyshawn Pierre likely moving on up in the world after his great season at Sassari. Maybe to the EuroLeague. Maccabi supposedly interestedly along with UNICS and others. I think Bayern Munich too. Pierre is likely the biggest “vertical” mover of all the non NBA Canadians this summer.

Pangos still rumored closest to Valencia. But maccabi and PAO also rumored. Looks like both Maccabi and PAO are also chasing Lorenzo Brown with Pangos as more of a fall back. Valencia seems much higher on Pangos.

Tyler Ennis also associated with Maccabi (again) and Olympiacos. But word is he might once again try for the NBA.

Nothing on Stauskas out there. Not sure if he is even healthy.

I think Dylan Ennis Ennis is staying put with Zaragoza and Phil Scrubb with Movistar. Kassius Robertson, Olivier Harlan, Kaza Keane and thomas Scrubb seem like they may be on the move to new clubs. Many likely on to better contracts after good seasons. Not sure about Kenny Cherry yet.

Naz Long again gets rumored to the top Greek clubs, Oly and PAO like every summer. This is a bad summer for NBA to Europe transfers or vice versa. Lots of borderline NBA guys are going to miss out on European contracts this summer.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#3409 » by Hair Canada » Sun Jun 7, 2020 11:31 pm

Thanks for the great summary, mojo. Good to have you keeping track of our guys out there. Keep them coming.
— Steve Nash
mojo13
Veteran

Post#3410 » by mojo13 » Mon Jun 8, 2020 5:52 pm

And just like that Kaza Kajami-Keane joins Le Mans of the French Pro-A and BCL.
Year by year he keeps performing and moving up. He is limited in size but he is a tenacious and ever improving player and his journey up the leagues has been cool to watch.
BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect
And1: 656

Post#3411 » by BilboBanginz » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:11 pm

Read on Twitter
mojo13
Veteran

Post#3412 » by mojo13 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:06 pm

ACB back in action. Barca just played Joventut and Kevin Pangos played for the first time this season (Toe injury).
Conor Morgan lead the way for Joventut with 21. He’s another young guy who keeps improving.

Melvin Ejim seems a (healthy?) scratch with Unicaja. I’m hearing he won’t be brought back on the teams option.
Unicaja has been a rough spot for Canadians.
Kenter16
Junior

Post#3413 » by Kenter16 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:37 pm

Sounds like Nembard will have to sit out a year after he transfers. That means he won't enter the draft again until 2022 or 2023.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/basketball/florida-gators-andrew-nembhard-top-schools-decision-date-set

OntZags
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#3414 » by OntZags » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:57 am

Kenter16 wrote:Sounds like Nembard will have to sit out a year after he transfers. That means he won't enter the draft again until 2022 or 2023.

Gonzaga insiders feel pretty confident his landing spot is at GU so that might be a blessing in disguise. GU has a tremendous track record with developing players on a redshirt. He'll get a chance to really work on his shot, go harder in the weight room because he doesn't have to worry about game day soreness and play with/against the probable AP#1 in practice.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him having a Nigel Williams-Goss-esque campaign in 2021/22. His shot/athletic limitations may still keep him out of the league but he'll still be making lots of money somewhere and be a real nice candidate for a Team Canada roster spot moving forward.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#3415 » by Hair Canada » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:01 pm

Since there's hardly any basketball going on now, I caught a game of Lindell Wigginton in the Israeli league, which resumed this weekend. Lindell is still adjusting to the league and didn't have a good game, with 13 points, but also 1 assist and 4 TOs, while mostly playing PG. Was also bad on defense. The Israeli guy he played against (usually quite a marginal player) had a career night with 13 points, 13 assists, and 7 rebounds, with Wigginton really struggling to contain him.

The defense I think will get better. He has the tools for at least playing decent one on one and it's a matter of focus and commitment. But the decision making has always been his Achilles' heel. and I don't see it really improving over the years. If I try to break it down, it's not really that he is a selfish player (he's not). Some of it is that he oftentimes forces the passes when he should take the shot, while other times missing the easy read and chucking it or going into the forest. But the passes themselves are also often inaccurate, so instead of giving the other player that extra half-second to aim, they instead need to take a so-so shot or pass the ball on. That's why he doesn't have high assist numbers and the inaccuracy also frequently leads to TOs.

In short, I don't see a future for him in the NBA. There are plenty of players with his size, athleticism (which is great), and scoring skills. The few who make it to the league are exceptional decision-makers and have a much better feeling for the game on both ends of the floor. I think he can still carve a nice niche for himself in Europe, perhaps as a SG instead of a PG (he's athletic enough to compensate for his lack of size), unless he's really able to improve his decision making and passing skills with the years.
— Steve Nash
BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect

Post#3416 » by BilboBanginz » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:14 pm

Former Team Canada youth team big man Grant Sheppard headed to Carleton.

Read on Twitter
mojo13
Veteran

Post#3417 » by mojo13 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:44 pm

Andrew Nembhard announced today that he is heading to Gonzaga.

Honestly, I thought he should just have headed to the G for a better development opportunity - but I take this. My ZagUp was fully depleted this year without a Canadian there. And they were darn good this year too.

The Zags development program, especially with red-shirts/transfers might be the best in the NCAA.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#3418 » by Hair Canada » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:08 pm

mojo13 wrote:Andrew Nembhard announced today that he is heading to Gonzaga.

Honestly, I thought he should just have headed to the G for a better development opportunity - but I take this. My ZagUp was fully depleted this year without a Canadian there. And they were darn good this year too.

The Zags development program, especially with red-shirts/transfers might be the best in the NCAA.

I'm pretty glad about this decision. I think there's a good chance that he would have gotten lost in the G among better athletes and me-first players. It would be nice to see him play for Few, with a great development program and a fast-paced team-oriented style of play. I doubt it would help him get to the NBA but he'll have a chance for a deep run with an elite program and then become a pro somewhere. Too bad he'll have to sit out a year though. Good chance that next year they'll cancel this rule, but it probably wouldn't be early enough for him.
— Steve Nash
TrueNorth31
Senior
And1: 356

Post#3419 » by TrueNorth31 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:23 pm

Thanks guys for all the updates - sadly we should all be in Victoria right now watching the National Team.

Blake Murphy has a story on potential 2020 Canadian draft choices/2 way players up at the Athletic. Unfortunately our draft streak appears to be coming to an end.

https://theathletic.com/1880766/2020/06/24/draft-profiles-6-canadians-the-raptors-could-consider-at-no-58-or-undrafted/

Hopefully we get it going again, any thoughts by others as to potential Canadian NBA prospects in the next few years?
BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect

Post#3420 » by BilboBanginz » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:50 pm

Seen this one coming! :clap:

Read on Twitter

Return to Toronto Raptors