Is Brandon Ingram a max player and the MIP

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,156

Re: Is Brandon Ingram a max player and the MIP 

Post#121 » by Mr Puddles » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:59 pm

lamscott wrote:I'm so glad, Ingram and Lonzo are showing their stuff on the Pelicans. The GB in shambles again for killing Laker fans who supported both and kept saying that both were going to very good.

Have always been a big Lonzo supporter and have wanted him on the Suns since day 1 (he's the perfect compliment to Booker IMO).

Glad to see he's really coming into his own, especially with his three pointer falling now.

If Zion can stay healthy, the pelicans are going to be the most exciting team in the league for years to come.

Win-win trade for both the Lakers and Pelicans it seems.
Spoiler:
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,463

Post#122 » by Stone » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:28 pm

Kind of random but......It would be nice to see more centers win MIP
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
Infinitimind
Senior
And1: 398

Post#123 » by Infinitimind » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:31 pm

God Squad wrote:I wouldn't pay him the max, but someone will. But kudos to his improvement . I'd give MIP to Bam Adebayo also.

Why wouldn’t you pay him the max? Ben Simmons got it and Ingram is turning out to be the better player. To me he is just as good as Tatum.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,480

Post#124 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:27 pm

Sabas11 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:24/6/4 on 59 TS%, All Star in the west, significant improvement every year and still only 22 years old. Ya he's getting a max deal.

That's the thing though. His improvement from his first 3 years to his year 4 has been mind-boggling. I cannot remember anything like that.

Went from a poor FT shooter (sub 70%) to elite (86%) in one season
Went from bad 3PT shooter (about 33%) to very good (39%) on 3 times the volume in one season
All other stats categories went up significantly

Is this real? I want to say yes and I'd give him the MIP in heartbeat as well as a max contract. But man, again I cannot remember such an exponential improvement in just a single season (especially the FT and 3PT shooting numbers) so I can understand the pause for reflection.

I get the question on whether this is a fluke season or not. Obviously take whatever I say with Ingram with a grain of salt because Im a massive Ingram fan. With that said, its not like the shooting has come out of nowhere. He was actually a good FT shooter in high school, he shot 80% from the line as a senior. And at Duke he shot 41% from 3 on over 5 attempts, he also shot 39% from 3 on 2 attempts a game in his 2nd year in the NBA as well.

So he has shown flashes of this ability before. Honestly I think a lot of it was just him getting strong enough and used to the NBA. His form from 3 used to be really inconsistent, there would be times in LA you could really see him pushing the ball more than shooting the ball from 3. I think he has just gotten stronger legs and stronger overall where you dont really see this anymore. And I think the FT line thing is finally him getting confidence back.
Trey24
Sixth Man
And1: 2,001

Post#125 » by Trey24 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:40 pm

Regarding Ingrams jump in NOLA, I think one needs to look at the situation he was in with the Lakers. He was constantly in trade rumors from day one and can imagine he would have wanted to separate himself from that environment. It is no secret that the Magic Johnson Lakers were a **** show. That mixed with obvious hard work and dedication to the game and you see what he is capable of as a top 2 scoring option.

I am hoping that the Hornets tnder him a max offer. One this is for certain, SOMEBODY is going to tender him the max offer sheet. The big question is: Will the Pels match?
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#126 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:47 pm

Trey24 wrote:Regarding Ingrams jump in NOLA, I think one needs to look at the situation he was in with the Lakers. He was constantly in trade rumors from day one and can imagine he would have wanted to separate himself from that environment. It is no secret that the Magic Johnson Lakers were a **** show. That mixed with obvious hard work and dedication to the game and you see what he is capable of as a top 2 scoring option.

I am hoping that the Hornets tnder him a max offer. One this is for certain, SOMEBODY is going to tender him the max offer sheet. The big question is: Will the Pels match?

I think the bigger question is, do the Pels offer him the 5 year deal or just match someone else offering him the 4 year max. I dont see any scenario where the Pels let him walk. If I was Ingram, I would be expecting a 5 year offer from the Pels since Murray got a 5 year deal from the Nuggets.
Trey24
Sixth Man

Post#127 » by Trey24 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:56 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Trey24 wrote:Regarding Ingrams jump in NOLA, I think one needs to look at the situation he was in with the Lakers. He was constantly in trade rumors from day one and can imagine he would have wanted to separate himself from that environment. It is no secret that the Magic Johnson Lakers were a **** show. That mixed with obvious hard work and dedication to the game and you see what he is capable of as a top 2 scoring option.

I think the bigger question is, do the Pels offer him the 5 year deal or just match someone else offering him the 4 year max. I dont see any scenario where the Pels let him walk. If I was Ingram, I would be expecting a 5 year offer from the Pels since Murray got a 5 year deal from the Nuggets.

I can't imagine the pelicans offering him more than what other teams can offer considering the construction of their roster and the money they will have to commit in the future. I think I would be more comfortable to give him a 4 year match because the final year of that deal woulf presumably be Zions first year of his big deal. With Ingram on a 5 year deal, they would overlap at least 2 years of that deal.

Just overthinking way too much about it!
Smirk
Starter
And1: 1,594

Post#128 » by Smirk » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:14 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:

We are going to offer him the max.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#129 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:20 pm

Smirk wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

I agree. I think the second free agency starts, he should have a 5 year max deal in front of him waiting to be signed.
Trey24
Sixth Man

Post#130 » by Trey24 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:25 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
Smirk wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

I agree. I think the second free agency starts, he should have a 5 year max deal in front of him waiting to be signed.

I fully agree. That is their #1 priority right now other than pushing for playoffs.
nurseryc
Analyst
And1: 1,236

Post#131 » by nurseryc » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:09 am

Infinitimind wrote:
God Squad wrote:I wouldn't pay him the max, but someone will. But kudos to his improvement . I'd give MIP to Bam Adebayo also.

Why wouldn’t you pay him the max? Ben Simmons got it and Ingram is turning out to be the better player. To me he is just as good as Tatum.

Simmons is and will continue be better than both
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach
And1: 5,726

Post#132 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:25 pm

He made a major leap every year he was in LA. He had a little set back trying to figure out how to play with LeBron but then make another jump the 25 games or so before the blood clot issue. This year was just another step forward that BI had made and was a natural progression for him.

The issue in LA was simply he was caught in either Anti-Laker bias or unrealistic expectations...or sometimes both. He had lots of supporters in the local and even some in the national media but was a victim too of the Lakers hype machine backlash. Especially on Real GM. Ive never seen so many people change their opinions so fast on a dude as many did on this platform when he moved to New Orleans. The fact of the matter is though that he is a 6’9 player with a 7’3 wingspan who has the handles to run pg, and can create his own shot and can finish. He just needed some body development and shot development and you had the base of a player that was basically can’t miss in the modern nba. It still to this day astounds me how so many on here, that claim to be basketball experts, couldn’t see that in him, even early on.
Infinitimind
Senior

Post#133 » by Infinitimind » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:52 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:

You don’t think they have concerns about the blood clot issues at all?
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#134 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:07 pm

Infinitimind wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

You don’t think they have concerns about the blood clot issues at all?

Every report I've read has said that was completely from a structural aspect of his body. Now that is fixed, his chances of getting more blood clots is practically the same as any other player
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,812

Post#135 » by nikster » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:22 pm

nurseryc wrote:
Infinitimind wrote:

Simmons is the same player he was as a rookie. Ingram has had significant growth every year. Scoring from the perimeter is incredibly important, Ingram is a better offensive player already. Simmons dominates the ball without scoring and collapses spacing for his team when he doesnt have it.
lamscott
Analyst
And1: 3,034

Post#136 » by lamscott » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:14 pm

Mr Puddles wrote:
lamscott wrote:I'm so glad, Ingram and Lonzo are showing their stuff on the Pelicans. The GB in shambles again for killing Laker fans who supported both and kept saying that both were going to very good.

Have always been a big Lonzo supporter and have wanted him on the Suns since day 1 (he's the perfect compliment to Booker IMO).

Glad to see he's really coming into his own, especially with his three pointer falling now.

If Zion can stay healthy, the pelicans are going to be the most exciting team in the league for years to come.

Win-win trade for both the Lakers and Pelicans it seems.

Yah. Idiot GBers calling the trade AD for trash. Laker idiot homers saying we gave up too much. All dumb.
Infinitimind
Senior

Post#137 » by Infinitimind » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:10 am

nurseryc wrote:
Infinitimind wrote:

Maybe when he gets a jumpshot . Right now Tatum and Ingram are better
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Post#138 » by Floody100 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:33 am

nurseryc wrote:
Infinitimind wrote:

Simmons is the same player he was 3 years ago.
Filthadelphia
Senior
And1: 751

Post#139 » by Filthadelphia » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:44 am

nikster wrote:
nurseryc wrote:
Infinitimind wrote:

Simmons is the same player he was as a rookie. Ingram has had significant growth every year. Scoring from the perimeter is incredibly important, Ingram is a better offensive player already. Simmons dominates the ball without scoring and collapses spacing for his team when he doesnt have it.

Based on? Simmons hasnt made the major strides as a scorer but his defense and playmaking have improved every year.

He generates the most open 3's in the league in the most complex system in the nba.
He's the best perimeter defender in the NBA at 23. Is on the short list for DPOTY.

As for the offense he's averaging 17 a game on 11 shots. Dominates the ball? Sixers fans WISH he would!
He's got a role player's usage and only takes 11 attempts per game. He needs to be more involved.
AVATAR BET W RAPS FANS: Sixers beat Raps in 2018 playoffs
-binjumper
-And1+2
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,812

Post#140 » by nikster » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:34 pm

Filthadelphia wrote:
nikster wrote:
nurseryc wrote:

Based on? Simmons hasnt made the major strides as a scorer but his defense and playmaking have improved every year.

He generates the most open 3's in the league in the most complex system in the nba.
He's the best perimeter defender in the NBA at 23. Is on the short list for DPOTY.

As for the offense he's averaging 17 a game on 11 shots. Dominates the ball? Sixers fans WISH he would!
He's got a role player's usage and only takes 11 attempts per game. He needs to be more involved.

Yes he dominates the ball. Usage is a terrible stat for capturing that, especially for a player that refuses to shoot like Simmons. His average time of possession is top 7 in the league, almost double Ingram (Ingram is 3.8 seconds, Simmons 7.2, Lebron 7.5).

Simmons generated 22.2 points off assists per 36 minutes as a rookie, this year is 21.5....some improvement. Lot of Good that complex system does, He generates the 17th Ranked offense in the NBA.

If you add up points scored and points generated by assists its about 38 to 35 in Simmons favour....which isn't big considering the time it takes for him to generate the offense.

Return to The General Board