Why is Obi Toppin Not An Automatic Top 2?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Re: Why is Obi Toppin Not An Automatic Top 2? 

Post#41 » by MotownMadness » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:26 pm

His style of play reminds me of Christian Wood. Just dunk everything and shoot the 3 efficiently. Wood might be a better defender though and a bit more intense trying to destroy people at the rim.

Wood doesnt really create his own offense though and not sure how Obi projects in that regard.
HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#42 » by HeatIn5 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:36 pm

He screams Parker/Beasley, not Siakam
Read on Twitter
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#43 » by Stillwater » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:45 am

JustiseForMiami wrote:He screams Parker/Beasley, not Siakam

are you saying he will be a bust then? I agree he doesn't project to be a Siakim level impact player as is, but I dont think Toppin is even on the same level of offense as Jabari who is not who he could have become before the injuries and Beasley was a head case.
I think Toppin could prove to be another T-Robb though so anywhere in a stronger draft above 15 would be a reach.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,553

Post#44 » by MemphisX » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:25 am

He is one of a few guys in this draft that I would not draft anywhere in the lottery. Just no way he can survive any playoff basketball. Would be targeted and isolated every possession. Not nearly good enough offensively to be worth the trouble.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
OGLife
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,892

Post#45 » by OGLife » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:42 am

Beasley had a terrible shot.

If he projects as a pre-injury Parker with playmaking then he should definitely go second overall.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#46 » by kg01 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:08 am

King Ken wrote:You obviously have to take into account one player is adjusting to the NBA, NBA lifestyle, speed of the game which is the easiest transition for upperclassmen, 82 games which is the hardest for all but extremely hard for upperclassmen, as well as role changes. John like most 4th year NBA players are adjusting to his improvement areas and adding more to his bag if possible going for his major 2nd contract...

I respect the work you do, but you're glossing over a lot here to suggest toppin is better.
king01 :king:
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,126

Post#47 » by clyde21 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:18 am

OGLife wrote:

If he projects as a pre-injury Parker with playmaking then he should definitely go second overall.

pre-injury Parker + playmaking is like a top 5 prospect the last decade lol
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Post#48 » by atlantabbq99 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:00 pm

Super athletic, high basketball IQ, amazing off the ball scorer.

His age will make people think he has a low ceiling. He played in a weak conference which will make his critics think that is why his numbers are inflated. His defense seems to be on par with Blake Griffin, which is not good. He is a below average rebounder. For being in a weak conference, you wish he can average 10-11 rebounds per game (Jalen Smith in the ACC was able to grab 11.0rpg). He had a below average game against Kansas and Colorado, the only quality teams he faced last year. He has zero PG skills unlike elite PFs like Giannis, AD, KG, Webber, Barkley, or Draymond. His lack of ball handling skills and height will give people the impression he has zero versatility and make him a PF, with no hopes of being a SF or Center.

He is a great prospect. I have him in my top 10, but he has the same strengths and weaknesses as Blake Griffin and Griffin's career arch has not been in a good light as of late.
HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#49 » by HeatIn5 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:53 pm

clyde21 wrote:
OGLife wrote:

pre-injury Parker + playmaking is like a top 5 prospect the last decade lol

Stillwater wrote:

are you saying he will be a bust then? I agree he doesn't project to be a Siakim level impact player as is, but I dont think Toppin is even on the same level of offense as Jabari who is not who he could have become before the injuries and Beasley was a head case.
I think Toppin could prove to be another T-Robb though so anywhere in a stronger draft above 15 would be a reach.

Yea I definitely didn't mean that comparison in a bad way (my bad for not expanding more). I like both Parker and Beasley. If Parker didn't get injured, and Beasley stayed off the weeeeeeeeeeeeeed (at least a little bit) then they both would have been good offensive players. A big thing that crushed Beasley's development was getting traded to a team that really didn't care for him in order for the Heat to get LeBron and Bosh. I think that killed his psyche.

Toppin is more like the 2 of them and not Siakam because most of his value to me comes as a mismatch at the 4 and not for what he is going to do on the defensive end. I watched him a lot this year as I have a friend on that coaching staff and a couple more in the conference, and I think he has the ability to be a special offensive player - like Parker and Beasley. I just don't see the defensive versatility of Siakam.

Read on Twitter
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#50 » by MotownMadness » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:58 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:Super athletic, high basketball IQ, amazing off the ball scorer.

His age will make people think he has a low ceiling. He played in a weak conference which will make his critics think that is why his numbers are inflated. His defense seems to be on par with Blake Griffin, which is not good. He is a below average rebounder. For being in a weak conference, you wish he can average 10-11 rebounds per game (Jalen Smith in the ACC was able to grab 11.0rpg). He had a below average game against Kansas and Colorado, the only quality teams he faced last year. He has zero PG skills unlike elite PFs like Giannis, AD, KG, Webber, Barkley, or Draymond. His lack of ball handling skills and height will give people the impression he has zero versatility and make him a PF, with no hopes of being a SF or Center.

He is a great prospect. I have him in my top 10, but he has the same strengths and weaknesses as Blake Griffin and Griffin's career arch has not been in a good light as of late.

IDK about a Blake comp, Blake is still really high USG and can create alot of his own offense for himself and others. Obi probably aint capable of that at that kind of level but will be more like off ball Blake.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#51 » by getrichordie » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:10 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:Super athletic, high basketball IQ, amazing off the ball scorer.

IDK about a Blake comp, Blake is still really high USG and can create alot of his own offense for himself and others. Obi probably aint capable of that at that kind of level but will be more like off ball Blake.

Nailed it.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
KobesScarf
Veteran
And1: 602

Post#52 » by KobesScarf » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:35 am

These Kuzma comparisons are a joke.

Toppin is much stronger much tougher much faster and much more aggressive than Kuzma every dreamed of being.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,726

Post#53 » by HotelVitale » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:23 pm

OGLife wrote:

Beasley had a terrible shot. .

Beasley was always a shooting forward, that was a big reason why he was a hyped pick. His whole NBA game was take two dribbles to the left and fire a midranger, and he was actually pretty darn good at that. Just also wasn't good at anything else, his slashing, finishing, and second-chance game didn't translate.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,806

Post#54 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:24 pm

Is Vin Baker a decent comparison? A 21st century Baker, so better at shooting overall and not quite the rebounder / passer?
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,244

Post#55 » by UcanUwill » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:00 pm

when you guys mentioned he is much faster, stronger Kuzma, I had to see him, his highlights are very impressive, I think he looked better than Parker did, but thats just my opinion checking his highlights on youtube. He does remind me of Derrick Williams, but he is good 2 inches taller, so I dont mean that as a bad thing, taller Williams could have been great.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#56 » by MotownMadness » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:21 pm

Is there a official wingspan measurement for him anywhere?
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,806

Post#57 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:39 pm

I don't see the Derrick Williams comparisons, Obi wants to play down low much more and has far more fire to his game IMO. He is also quicker off the ground by quite a bit. I still think you need him to play PF and sandwich him between two good defenders if you plan on starting him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a Randle like career path if he doesn't land in a good situation.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#58 » by Coeur » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:19 pm

Great thread. Answer a lot of questions I had too as far as perception of his game and potential.

For the Nugs with the Houston pick I really want Denver drafting Cassius Stanley. But If obi makes a big slide down I could see him a great fit on the Nugs.

Return to NBA Draft