Woj: Some Players getting cold feet about playing in Orlando

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,579

Re: Woj: Some Players getting cold feet about playing in Orlando 

Post#821 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:25 pm

EAS Law wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
EAS Law wrote:But what basis do you have to support the idea that “Florida’s horrible governor” and “many other conservative governors” are horrible when the WORST states for this are NY, NJ, Illinois, California, and Massachusetts—ALL Democrat “blue” states. Those guys just got “blindsided” but Florida and “other conservative” states are the bad guys? Please. Please. So tired of the partisan BS.

It’s not partisan BS.

Like I said, they were blindsided because their outbreaks were well underway in March before there was adequate testing or a clear understanding of the virus, particularly in NYC, Boston and Jersey. These outbreaks largely stemmed from the international airports in those cities and an inability to test and trace cases.

The conservative states watched what happened in New York, saw the consequences and willingly made the same mistakes because of pressure from the trump administration. New York, Boston and NJ are now very much under control because they learned from their own mistakes.

Yeah, oopsie. I guess the 30k deaths in NY, 13k deaths in NJ, and 8k deaths in MA were just little mistakes.

Florida is just an abject failure despite having slightly over 3k deaths with triple the population of NJ, quadruple of MA, and about 3M more than NY as well as harboring those that fled the above states. It’s all that big bad Trump and his goons.

I’m not disputing that there was a spike, but number of cases doesn’t mean anything if the hospital system is doing fine. Number of cases also doesn’t mean anything if it is essentially being fought off by the infected person without major incident in the vast majority of those cases. It’s still important to protect people as much as possible, but you’d swear that there was some fool-proof plan to defeat this virus that conservatives just refuse to adopt. The truth is that partisan politics isn’t an immunization and the actual facts don’t support the position many here are taking for political reasons.

Nobody is saying that NY, NJ and MA handled it well from the beginning. In fact they objectively failed to control the early stages of the outbreak. However, they were blindsided because their outbreaks happened in March when there was no testing or guidance from the federal government.

We know for a fact that 2 things prevent the spread of this virus, social distancing and mask use.

Conservative states like Florida watched NY, NJ and MA screw up and decided that they’re going to screw up too. They opened businesses in a way that compromised social distancing and have no mask mandates and now cases are increasing. Meanwhile NY, NJ and MA did the exact opposite and have seen their cases decrease for weeks.

Hospitalizations and deaths lag behind cases. Hospitalizations in Florida have been increasing and will continue to increase as cases increase, which has happened everywhere else in the world.

Florida is clearly one of the least safe places in the world right now when it comes to catching the virus and NBA players and staff should absolutely be concerned about playing there, bubble or no bubble.
EAS Law
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Post#822 » by EAS Law » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:25 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
EAS Law wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
Yes, most cases on the East coast came from New York. However, New York was more or less blindsided by this as the 1st area impacted. Florida’s horrible governor (and many other conservative governors) watched what happened in New York and are repeating those same mistakes despite clear consequences.

Hospitalizations and Deaths always lag behind spikes in cases. We can hope and pray that Florida will be miraculously spared from this trend we’ve seen around the world but unfortunately miracles are inherently unlikely.

Personally if I played or coached for any team other than the top 4 in each conference And I was financially stable, I would stay home instead of exposing myself and my family to the professional negligence of Florida’s leadership.

But what basis do you have to support the idea that “Florida’s horrible governor” and “many other conservative governors” are horrible when the WORST states for this are NY, NJ, Illinois, California, and Massachusetts—ALL Democrat “blue” states. Those guys just got “blindsided” but Florida and “other conservative” states are the bad guys? Please. Please. So tired of the partisan BS.

For starters... Do I need to post the date and hilariously bad interview where the Georgia governor figured out asymptomatic people could be a problem?

If you're tired of the partisan BS, why you being so obviously partisan lol.

Im sorry, I’m not seeing how a bad interview with GA’s governor changes the data or somehow has something to do with Florida’s response to COVID. Go ahead and post your video though if that’s what you’d like to do.

And maybe I’ll rephrase—I’m tired of the lies and misinformation that gets thrown around and echoed due to an unyielding and frenzied hatred of a political party and how literally every negative thing conceivable is attributed to a particular political party while the other is excused from the impact of facts and evidence when convenient.
EAS Law
Analyst

Post#823 » by EAS Law » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:28 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
EAS Law wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
It’s not partisan BS.

Like I said, they were blindsided because their outbreaks were well underway in March before there was adequate testing or a clear understanding of the virus, particularly in NYC, Boston and Jersey. These outbreaks largely stemmed from the international airports in those cities and an inability to test and trace cases.

The conservative states watched what happened in New York, saw the consequences and willingly made the same mistakes because of pressure from the trump administration. New York, Boston and NJ are now very much under control because they learned from their own mistakes.

Yeah, oopsie. I guess the 30k deaths in NY, 13k deaths in NJ, and 8k deaths in MA were just little mistakes.

Florida is just an abject failure despite having slightly over 3k deaths with triple the population of NJ, quadruple of MA, and about 3M more than NY as well as harboring those that fled the above states. It’s all that big bad Trump and his goons.

I’m not disputing that there was a spike, but number of cases doesn’t mean anything if the hospital system is doing fine. Number of cases also doesn’t mean anything if it is essentially being fought off by the infected person without major incident in the vast majority of those cases. It’s still important to protect people as much as possible, but you’d swear that there was some fool-proof plan to defeat this virus that conservatives just refuse to adopt. The truth is that partisan politics isn’t an immunization and the actual facts don’t support the position many here are taking for political reasons.

Nobody is saying that NY, NJ and MA handled it well from the beginning. In fact they objectively failed to control the early stages of the outbreak. However, they were blindsided because their outbreaks happened in March when there was no testing or guidance from the federal government.

We know for a fact that 2 things prevent the spread of this virus, social distancing and mask use.

Conservative states like Florida watched NY, NJ and MA screw up and decided that they’re going to screw up too. They opened businesses in a way that compromised social distancing and have no mask mandates and now cases are increasing. Meanwhile NY, NJ and MA did the exact opposite and have seen their cases decrease for weeks.

Hospitalizations and deaths lag behind cases. Hospitalizations in Florida have been increasing and will continue to increase as cases increase, which has happened everywhere else in the world.

Florida is clearly one of the least safe places in the world right now when it comes to catching the virus and NBA players and staff should absolutely be concerned about playing there, bubble or no bubble.

Every business that has reopened in FL has done so under state social distancing requirements and the use of masks is mandatory in most major counties in FL. The lies or misinformation continues.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#824 » by MTJazzv3 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:30 pm

Welp. No bubble in Houston, that's for sure. ICU available beds down to 3%. https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/texas/2020/06/23/376754/texas-heading-down-a-dangerous-path-local-leaders-warn-as-coronavirus-cases-and-hospitalizations-surge/ Some people on this board are acting like this no big thing, but I imagine the ROX are sweating bullets at the moment trying to bubble their training facility.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,579

Post#825 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:47 pm

EAS Law wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
EAS Law wrote:Yeah, oopsie. I guess the 30k deaths in NY, 13k deaths in NJ, and 8k deaths in MA were just little mistakes.

Every business that has reopened in FL has done so under state social distancing requirements and the use of masks is mandatory in most major counties in FL. The lies or misinformation continues.

Then clearly they reopened too haphazardly and therefore they need to shut down businesses again because their social distancing requirements have either been ineffective or not adhered to. Sadly we don’t see that happening yet, all we’ve seen is a pause in proceeding to the next phase in some counties, which means that cases and hospitalizations will continue to increase.

We’ll see if Florida eventually takes the necessary action to curb this outbreak but right now it seems that the conservative mantra of business>people is winning out.

It’s very clear that during this reopening period, some states have seen cases decrease while others have seen them spike. It just so happens that it roughly correlates with the political party of the state’s governor.
LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Post#826 » by LKN » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:59 am

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
EAS Law wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:

Then clearly they reopened too haphazardly and therefore they need to shut down businesses again because their social distancing requirements have either been ineffective or not adhered to. Sadly we don’t see that happening yet, all we’ve seen is a pause in proceeding to the next phase in some counties, which means that cases and hospitalizations will continue to increase.

We’ll see if Florida eventually takes the necessary action to curb this outbreak but right now it seems that the conservative mantra of business>people is winning out.

It’s very clear that during this reopening period, some states have seen cases decrease while others have seen them spike. It just so happens that it roughly correlates with the political party of the state’s governor.

To be fair... there are some good R governors (Mike DeWine in Ohio for one).... but your overall point is well stated
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,274

Post#827 » by Clyde Frazier » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:11 am

Read on Twitter

Welp.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#828 » by GTR11 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:43 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:
Read on Twitter

Welp.

Duh :falloff:
Also why they won't report how many beds available and what is going on with their ICU. Doubt they just scared of numbers.
Plutonashfan
Analyst
And1: 3,124

Post#829 » by Plutonashfan » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:19 am

Johnny Bball wrote:
EAS Law wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
Yes, most cases on the East coast came from New York. However, New York was more or less blindsided by this as the 1st area impacted. Florida’s horrible governor (and many other conservative governors) watched what happened in New York and are repeating those same mistakes despite clear consequences.

Hospitalizations and Deaths always lag behind spikes in cases. We can hope and pray that Florida will be miraculously spared from this trend we’ve seen around the world but unfortunately miracles are inherently unlikely.

Personally if I played or coached for any team other than the top 4 in each conference And I was financially stable, I would stay home instead of exposing myself and my family to the professional negligence of Florida’s leadership.

But what basis do you have to support the idea that “Florida’s horrible governor” and “many other conservative governors” are horrible when the WORST states for this are NY, NJ, Illinois, California, and Massachusetts—ALL Democrat “blue” states. Those guys just got “blindsided” but Florida and “other conservative” states are the bad guys? Please. Please. So tired of the partisan BS.

For starters... Do I need to post the date and hilariously bad interview where the Georgia governor figured out asymptomatic people could be a problem?

He either is extremely bias or lives in an alternative reality. Florida's governor is a complete imbecile and Trump lackey that has proven time and time again to put money over lives. With that said our governor in OH who's a Republican has done an outstanding job and actually seems to understand science and cares about the well being of the state's citizen, even if a chunk of population doesn't care about the direct health of others (no masks). I applauded him and Amy Action for closing the state ASAP and implementing rules that have saved thousands of lives. You know what the thanks she got, armed racists nutjobs, at her house threatening to kill her and her family if they didn't open up. She eventually resigned. My girlfriend who is a nurse is disgusted by this and often suggests this idiots shouldn't be given medical attention as they willfully spread this thing and entice panic.
The Champ is HERE!!!
Plutonashfan
Analyst
And1: 3,124

Post#830 » by Plutonashfan » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:24 am

EAS Law wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
EAS Law wrote:But what basis do you have to support the idea that “Florida’s horrible governor” and “many other conservative governors” are horrible when the WORST states for this are NY, NJ, Illinois, California, and Massachusetts—ALL Democrat “blue” states. Those guys just got “blindsided” but Florida and “other conservative” states are the bad guys? Please. Please. So tired of the partisan BS.

Im sorry, I’m not seeing how a bad interview with GA’s governor changes the data or somehow has something to do with Florida’s response to COVID. Go ahead and post your video though if that’s what you’d like to do.

And maybe I’ll rephrase—I’m tired of the lies and misinformation that gets thrown around and echoed due to an unyielding and frenzied hatred of a political party and how literally every negative thing conceivable is attributed to a particular political party while the other is excused from the impact of facts and evidence when convenient.

Wow you really didn't type this. God lord..... your such a hypocrite it's astounding you would put this in a post, this is going to "b" online forever. This is some Steven Colbert material that's for sure. I have no words, literally, as I'm sure you'll get taken to shed for that statement :crazy:
The Champ is HERE!!!
rockmanslim
General Manager
And1: 5,169

Post#831 » by rockmanslim » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:35 am

They should consider moving it to New York.

They had it bad, but look at how they've done since:

Read on Twitter

Whatever they did worked.
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,233

Post#832 » by azcatz11 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:39 am

rockmanslim wrote:They should consider moving it to New York.

Read on Twitter

I don't live in NYC but my cousin does. As far as I understand, dinner / lunch is still only avail outdoors. Here in Arizona, clubs / bars have been opened for almost a month now. There is a rave bar I used to frequent, Bar Smith, that has been fully operational.

I think the bubble should re-evaluated
MrGrim
Junior
And1: 293

Post#833 » by MrGrim » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:42 am

I'm not ready to declare victory for any US state. It's not like there is some force-field that separates states with "good" governments from states with bad governments. People travel. Further, just a month ago, states with surging cases now had relatively low daily case levels compared to states such as New York that were hard-hit in Feb/March/April. Those formerly hard-hit states are now reopening after successfully bringing their case levels down, but we'll see how they do keeping containment going forward. Right now it is an open question. Really, I hold the entire US political system responsible for this. Most other countries in Europe and Asia seem to have been able to get outbreaks under control much better than the US, so their re-openings seem to be going much smoother.
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#834 » by SF_Warriors » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:55 am

ATRAIN53 wrote:OK there's a threshold - and @ what I was expecting when testing happened--

200 NHL players tested and 11 have it-

That's @ 10% rate.

I totally expect that when NBA testing, I say closer to 15%

That's not very daunting, only a 10% to catch something.

That's doesn't mean you have a 90% chance of not catching it, does it?
(Do people think like this....)

11 out of 200 is 5.5%
vancity604
Junior
And1: 412

Post#835 » by vancity604 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:56 am

MrGrim wrote:I'm not ready to declare victory for any US state. It's not like there is some force-field that separates states with "good" governments from states with bad governments. People travel. Further, just a month ago, states with surging cases now had relatively low daily case levels compared to states such as New York that were hard-hit in Feb/March/April. Those formerly hard-hit states are now reopening after successfully bringing their case levels down, but we'll see how they do keeping containment going forward. Right now it is an open question. Really, I hold the entire US political system responsible for this. Most other countries in Europe and Asia seem to have been able to get outbreaks under control much better than the US, so their re-openings seem to be going much smoother.

Donald **** Trump
Mamba81p
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,186

Post#836 » by Mamba81p » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:02 am

I think Rhode Island did the best job.
Tri State Area and Mass have low numbers too, but they are still in early phases of opening. Rhode Island has been open for some time and the numbers did not grow. Maybe all the states should follow their example
rockmanslim
General Manager
And1: 5,169

Post#837 » by rockmanslim » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:03 am

Excellent interactive visual aid showing daily new cases state-by-state, with graphs arranged relative to their geographical location on the US map. Cool and intuitive.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases-50-states
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#838 » by PistolPeteJR » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:12 am

Johnny Bball wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Prince Edward Island. No cases since April 28th. 10,000 tests total, 27 total cases since the start. Couldn't be an easier choice. U of PEI courts. EST time zone. The island is a bubble. Stage everyone in NB then bring them all over. They can eat Lobster every day.
How's that?

Maybe the NHL will get wise.

I’ve never been to PEI, but no offense, I doubt they have the facilities necessary to accommodate something of this caliber?

U PEI obviously has a court. There are colleges as well. There are no fans so capacity doesn't matter. Charlottetown obviously has hotels and facilities and so does Summerside. It has a population of 160k which is more than Disney supports and the island is a tourist haven. You could walk around the cities and entire Island which is not at all small, once there since there is no virus and it actually IS a bubble with the bridge closed/monitored. I would say you doubt wrong and would have to be more safe by a long-shot.

There's also other places out east doing incredibly well but not the same kind of isolation, and Vancouver island but I'm not sure if that has no risk and haven't kept up on it.

“Would have to be more safe by a long-shot”? What’s that mean?

And I guess Canada would have to approve something like this, let alone the league approaching the Canadian government.
EAS Law
Analyst

Post#839 » by EAS Law » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:40 pm

Plutonashfan wrote:
EAS Law wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

Wow you really didn't type this. God lord..... your such a hypocrite it's astounding you would put this in a post, this is going to "b" online forever. This is some Steven Colbert material that's for sure. I have no words, literally, as I'm sure you'll get taken to shed for that statement :crazy:

You have no words? Some factual support for your position would be better to “enlighten” those of us that allegedly are missing the boat here. Long diatribes citing the intellectual genius that is Stephen Colbert (who holds no biases at all, of course) doesn’t really move the conversation along.

I have no clue what the basis of your quotes post is considering that I took very easily obtainable data and posted it. That was met with a bunch of personal feelings about how FL’s governor is an idiot and the speculation that more deaths would occur because of a lag in death to case reporting. I’m really unbothered by “being taken to the shed” whatever TF that means when nobody so far has explained how FL is such a terrible place except for the fact that the governor is a Republican and they just KNOW he’s responsible for COVID spread despite the rules in place across the state intended to prevent the spread.

And btw, your girlfriend took an oath when she became a nurse. It would be really unfortunate if someone died as a result of her personal biases and somehow traced sentiments that she didn’t believe certain people deserved care. Just letting you know that she and you should keep your thoughts that others are subhuman to yourselves. For legal reasons.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,659

Post#840 » by orlando_joe » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:01 pm

rockmanslim wrote:They should consider moving it to New York.

Read on Twitter

right they allready burned thru 31,000 dead.is that what worked?....its run its course might be the reason? ... the states being hit with big city it have not yet..its just now getting hit.....florida has 3100 dead....pretty simple..lets see when it goes thru all the states

Return to The General Board