clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Re: 2020 Draft Thread 

Post#1501 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:28 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
Are you under the impression that a front office trading away their vets and sitting their young players for "injury" isn't a method of tanking?

The Cavs tanked hard the whole year as the plan to get LeBron.

MOST tanking is a response to issues during the season tipping them over from trying to play to trying to lose, but the full season tank absolutely happens.

name a full season tank other than Philly...as in teams literally went into the season trading away or not playing their best players

also no, trading players you don't need any more for draft picks is not tanking, it's the right move.

I already mentioned the Cavs tank for LeBron.

If the front office trades away players for lesser players who are younger knowing the result will be a good shot at a top pick that is tanking.

I know there are people out there who don't think tanking is real and it's not really possible to convince them otherwise so let's end it here with me being right and you thinking you are right :)

i never said tanking isn't real, I said they don't START the season tanking, there is a huge difference there. 99% of the time teams are actually trying to start the year and don't decide to tank until it's the obvious choice.

and considering you had to go back all the way to 2002 to come up with an example, sounds like u agree with this
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#1502 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:14 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
name a full season tank other than Philly...as in teams literally went into the season trading away or not playing their best players

also no, trading players you don't need any more for draft picks is not tanking, it's the right move.

If the front office trades away players for lesser players who are younger knowing the result will be a good shot at a top pick that is tanking.

I know there are people out there who don't think tanking is real and it's not really possible to convince them otherwise so let's end it here with me being right and you thinking you are right :)

i never said tanking isn't real, I said they don't START the season tanking, there is a huge difference there. 99% of the time teams are actually trying to start the year and don't decide to tank until it's the obvious choice.

and considering you had to go back all the way to 2002 to come up with an example, sounds like u agree with this

So no teams ever start the season tanking ... then maybe the Sixers did, now also the Cavs. Sure sounds like it does happen.

It is rare, but it does happen, and it probably happens more often than we realize.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#1503 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:48 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

So no teams ever start the season tanking ... then maybe the Sixers did, now also the Cavs. Sure sounds like it does happen.

It is rare, but it does happen, and it probably happens more often than we realize.

Sixers didn't sit their starters to start the year so they could tank, they just sold all their players for draft packs over a multitude of seasons, and even then that's an extremely rare situation

and no, it doesn't happen...teams don't usually realize they're bad enough that they should tank until like 20 games into the season, but to start it's always to try and at least be respectable and in the PO hunt
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#1504 » by KevinMcreynolds » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:27 pm

The Cavs, Knicks, Bulls, and Hornets all started the year tanking. We started tanking 4 games into the season (when Steph broke his hand).
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1505 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:14 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:The Cavs, Knicks, Bulls, and Hornets all started the year tanking. We started tanking 4 games into the season (when Steph broke his hand).

Some men, you just can't reach.

So you get what we had here last post -- which is the way he wants it.

Well, he gets it.

And I don't like it anymore than you men.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#1506 » by ChuckDurn » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:16 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:The Cavs, Knicks, Bulls, and Hornets all started the year tanking. We started tanking 4 games into the season (when Steph broke his hand).

Some men, you just can't reach.

So you get what we had here last post -- which is the way he wants it.

Well, he gets it.

And I don't like it anymore than you men.

I think the argument that since the 76ers did it for multiple years, they didn’t do it any particular year was the one that got me.....
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#1507 » by Mylie10 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:27 am

If we keep our late second round pick, I think I've settled on Luka Garza. He's the type we could sign to Santa Cruz, but he's also a guy who could surprise and make the team.

He's an accomplished player, and even though he doesnt SEEM to fit today's NBA, he is a great rebounder and scorer. He'd be a great bench role player.

I could see him in a Mo Speights, Spellman type of role, albeit a slightly different player. Can always use a 6'10" Banger who can really shoot it from his spots.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 259

Post#1508 » by ShayDee » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:33 am

I still think it would be ideal if we end up with 2 rookies from this draft. One being the lottery pick and the other hopefully middle of first round. And I'm starting to lean heavily towards Wiseman.

I think he has the highest ceiling of this draft and I'm willing to live with his defensive deficiencies early in his carrier. We just need to play him and groom him like the clippers play Zubac and also team him how to not be stingy and pass without turning the ball over. The The pick could also be Edwards.

Then the mid first we could also snag someone like Bey/Neismith/Patrick Williams or I would even reach and take Bane. Then all these guys would have to fight for roster spots during training camp with Mulder,Bowman, and JTA (Lee,Smailagic,Chriss not getting cut)
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,892

Post#1509 » by whatisacenter » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:44 am

ShayDee wrote:I still think it would be ideal if we end up with 2 rookies from this draft. One being the lottery pick and the other hopefully middle of first round. And I'm starting to lean heavily towards Wiseman.

I think he has the highest ceiling of this draft and I'm willing to live with his defensive deficiencies early in his carrier. We just need to play him and groom him like the clippers play Zubac and also team him how to not be stingy and pass without turning the ball over. The The pick could also be Edwards.

Then the mid first we could also snag someone like Bey/Neismith/Patrick Williams or I would even reach and take Bane. Then all these guys would have to fight for roster spots during training camp with Mulder,Bowman, and JTA (Lee,Smailagic,Chriss not getting cut)

How are we getting a lottery pick and a mid 1st?

I like the guys you mentioned but I don’t see how we get two firsts
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#1510 » by wco81 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:58 am

Knicks have something like the #3 and the #16.

Wolves also have a couple of picks too.

But there probably isn't a player that other teams would trade up and give up another 1st round pick for.

That is the rub.

Maybe we should tamp down expectations. Just hope they can get a good rotation player who can play 20-25 minutes, since they're limited in being able to acquire good vets.
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#1511 » by ShayDee » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:09 am

whatisacenter wrote:
ShayDee wrote:I still think it would be ideal if we end up with 2 rookies from this draft. One being the lottery pick and the other hopefully middle of first round. And I'm starting to lean heavily towards Wiseman.

How are we getting a lottery pick and a mid 1st?

I like the guys you mentioned but I don’t see how we get two firsts

Aren't there teams willing to unload salary? Like the magic/Nets? We could take Aminu/Taurean Price for their 1st this year. Or I'm not sure what celtics would give for 26. Take Iggy from the heat for their 1st and trade them our 2 2nds.

Trade down with the knicks/Wolves and take their 2 1st rounds this year. See if the bucks dump Bledsoe for their 1st to prepare for Giannis extension and give them our 2 2nds. Those are some ideas I think could work. Or see if we can get Marcus Smart+17 and 26 for our lottery pick, Although I would hate the idea
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#1512 » by wco81 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:36 am

Kevin O'Connor said the draft pick only needs to be a "good" player whom the Warriors could put into the regular rotation.
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#1513 » by ShayDee » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:36 pm

Read on Twitter
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1514 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:55 pm

Shhh, Deni keep it quiet.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,892

Post#1515 » by whatisacenter » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:36 pm

wooo! only 3 1/2 months to go until the draft! Wooo!

I'll probably change my mind on the prospects 2-3 times before then...
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#1516 » by EvanZ » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:39 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#1517 » by KevinMcreynolds » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:28 pm

Pokusevski looks like a big time scrub, he doesn't even look quick enough for my rec league.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#1518 » by GQ Hot Dog » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:14 am

I see you Patrick Williams.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 363

Post#1519 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:26 am

thinkingwarriors wrote:I see you Patrick Williams.

I'm not exactly sure what everyone sees in Patrick Williams? Am I missing something? To me, he will be a role player who brings the energy, hustle, and defense. Someone we can grab in the mid-to-late 1st Round. I don't think he's worth trading down for.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#1520 » by GQ Hot Dog » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:46 am

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:I see you Patrick Williams.

I'm not exactly sure what everyone sees in Patrick Williams? Am I missing something? To me, he will be a role player who brings the energy, hustle, and defense. Someone we can grab in the mid-to-late 1st Round. I don't think he's worth trading down for.

Ball handler, passer, 3pt shot, mid-range game, 84% free throw shooter, finisher, shot blocker, perimeter defense, help defender, gets in passing lanes, NBA body at 19. He moves with strength, decisiveness and instincts. He dominates the action whenever he's on the court. He's the most obvious superstar at this age since KD. Kawhi Leonard is a poor man's Patrick Williams.

Why isn't he the consensus #1? You have to look at his college team. The coach played 11 guys 9+ mpg and each of those 11 guys played in at least 27 of the team's 31 games. Of those 11 guys only two were freshman, Patrick Williams and Balsa Koprivica who played only 10 mpg. That means 9 guys were ahead of Williams in the pecking order to start the season yet he still managed 22 mpg, 4th most on the team, and didn't start a single game. The coach had way too many players that deserved minutes, someone had to get less than he deserved and it was the freshman Williams.

If he had gone to Arizona, Louisville or Virginia, all of which recruited him, he would have averaged 30+ mpg and gotten way more buzz. He chose Florida State because, according to him, that was the only school that preached defense to him first and foremost and that's the sort of program he was looking for. Sold.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.

Return to Golden State Warriors