2020 free agent targets and draft picks

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Re: 2020 free agent targets and draft picks 

Post#221 » by d-train » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:09 pm

PDX MM wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:Does anyone else like the idea of the bench having Hood, Ariza, Melo, and Whiteside, along with a veteran PG? I'd be happy with that lineup next year coming off the bench. That means your starters are Lillard, CJ, Collins, Nurkic, and a SF (what could a combination of Simon, Trent Jr., and Little get em???). That's a really nice team... assuming Nurk and Collins are healthy and back in form. That could be a big ask at this point.

The potential problem is two of those guys have been known as malcontents whose ego's wouldn't allow them to come off the bench in the past. Has that really changed I wonder.

I assume you are talking about Melo and Whiteside since Ariza and Hood have history as being backups. First, whoever says they are malcontents doesn't know anything. In Portland there are only 2 guys (Stotts and Olshey) that can tell you who is a malcontent and neither of those guys would ever say anything to an outsider. Second, every 15-man roster is going to have 12 guys that are less than happy with their role. If anyone other than Lillard, CJ, and Nurk are happy with their role, they are probably incompetent at filling the role they are asked to play.

It is known that Whiteside wasn't happy in Miami. It doesn't surprise me that Whiteside was unhappy there. His best teammate was the often injured and past his prime Wade, who Whiteside probably loved playing with. Most of his time in Miami his best teammate was Josh Richardson. Richardson is a very good player, but your team is terrible if he is leading your offense. Whiteside shouldered unreasonable expectations because of his pay and lack of competent team support in Miami. As to Whiteside's willingness to come off the bench, we will soon find out. He isn't going to sign a contract to play in Portland if he isn't willing to come off the bench.

No player would be happy sitting on the bench while lesser players play. This is the dumb question that Melo gets asked all the time. Melo has never been less than one of his teams best players (usually the best). Even now on a loaded Blazers roster at the age of 36, Melo is one of our 5 best players. So, the question is, will Melo take a role backing up Ariza if Stotts decides he wants Ariza's defense for the betterment of the team. Here again, Melo knows basketball and he knows his teammates. He knows this is an issue because Lillard and CJ are offensive players. We will soon have the answer to the question because Melo isn't going to sign to play in Portland if he isn't willing to do the job he is signing on to do.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#222 » by Goldbum » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:55 pm

If the Rockets sign Tyler Johnson, than Thabo Sefolosha could very well be available. That's a solid addition if the chips fall correctly.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
d-train
RealGM

Post#223 » by d-train » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:59 pm

Goldbum wrote:If the Rockets sign Tyler Johnson, than Thabo Sefolosha could very well be available. That's a solid addition if the chips fall correctly.

This puts it in perspective. If the chips fall correctly, we could get a player to sit on the bench that isn't good enough to get a minute of PT.
d-train
RealGM

Post#224 » by d-train » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:03 pm

By the way, Ariza has played his last minutes as a Blazer. I don't know who screwed Blazers worse, Ariza or the NBA.
d-train
RealGM

Post#225 » by d-train » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:09 pm

Blazers should have the option of voiding Ariza's contract. How does the NBA have a right to insert itself in a contract between Blazers and Ariza, and make playing games optional? Blazers should formally void Ariza's contract and fight the NBA in court.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Post#226 » by Norm2953 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:48 pm

I don't think Portland is going to do anything to void the contract with Ariza for most people understand
he has family visitation issues with his son which normally would not be an issue any other year. It's best
to make do with what you have for they have more options with Nurk and Zach
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#227 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:52 pm

Yes, lets void Ariza's contract and sue him since he chose the one month a year he gets full custody of his son over playing a game. Because, you know, all things happen in a vacuum and there is no way that decision would have a meaningful impact on not only our ability to sign future free agents, but also resign our own guys. PR doesn't exist in this universe.

I like to believe that the goodwill a supportive franchise shows in this situation may be payed back in the future. Possibly with Ariza retaining a good relationship with Portland to the extent that should we cut him he is amiable to resigning a smaller, longer deal moving forward.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 309

Post#228 » by HoopsFanAZ » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:37 am

Deleted.
d-train
RealGM

Post#229 » by d-train » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:50 pm

HoopsFanAZ wrote:And the opportunities for other players open up. Ariza follows his priorities. Good.
If a replacement player is found, no impact on the tax and a tryout is just fine.

It’s not a positive, but it’s not bad either.

It's not a bad thing because this is how you separate the trash from the treasure. Everyone says they want to win, but not everyone really prioritizes it the same.
d-train
RealGM

Post#230 » by d-train » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:55 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Yes, lets void Ariza's contract and sue him since he chose the one month a year he gets full custody of his son over playing a game. Because, you know, all things happen in a vacuum and there is no way that decision would have a meaningful impact on not only our ability to sign future free agents, but also resign our own guys. PR doesn't exist in this universe.

I like to believe that the goodwill a supportive franchise shows in this situation may be payed back in the future. Possibly with Ariza retaining a good relationship with Portland to the extent that should we cut him he is amiable to resigning a smaller, longer deal moving forward.

Who says sue Ariza? Technically, he is doing nothing wrong. He is exercising an option given him by the NBA. Problem I have is it wasn't an option in the CBA when Blazers assumed Ariza's contract and it wasn't an option negotiated into Ariza's contract by Ariza and the Blazers.

IOW, my problem is with the NBA, not Ariza. Although, I will say good riddance to bad rubbish to Ariza. I liked him until he revealed himself.
d-train
RealGM

Post#231 » by d-train » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:57 pm

Norm2953 wrote:I don't think Portland is going to do anything to void the contract with Ariza for most people understand
he has family visitation issues with his son which normally would not be an issue any other year. It's best
to make do with what you have for they have more options with Nurk and Zach

Blazers should fight for their rights, but they probably won't. Not because of Ariza's personal issues, that would we stupid. They will let it go because they have to survive in an environment controlled by the NBA.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#232 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:17 pm

IOW, my problem is with the NBA, not Ariza. Although, I will say good riddance to bad rubbish to Ariza. I liked him until he revealed himself

Revealed himself to prioritize family over work, as everyone should do?

By all accounts he gets one month of sole custody with his son per year. Its absurd to fault him for taking that month.

Its also going to help him in future custody battles with his ex to show he chose the child over the game. It will help him long term in gaining more time with his son. I guarantee this played a role in his decision. A competent attorney would suggest he make the move he made as a bridge to building a case for more custody.

It sucks for our playoff hopes, but building a case to get more time with a child is much more important. IDK how you cant see that.
d-train
RealGM

Post#233 » by d-train » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:32 pm

I come from a family that never sets up a false choice to justify ducking responsibility.

Edit: When we duck responsibility, we admit it.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,832

Post#234 » by The Sebastian Express » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:21 pm

d-train wrote:Blazers should have the option of voiding Ariza's contract. How does the NBA have a right to insert itself in a contract between Blazers and Ariza, and make playing games optional? Blazers should formally void Ariza's contract and fight the NBA in court.

I know you like trolling other subforums, but the act has gotten old and stale so kindly knock it off.

Some of you need perspective who may think this way.

We are in an unprecedented time. There is a pandemic happening. People are dying, people are sick and others think taking safety measures and respecting people and trying to keep people from getting a disease is somehow a political statement or ideology, a conspiracy to take away freedoms and rights.

The idea that Trevor Ariza or any individual, whether on the team itself, within the organization, within the association or hell even out in the world at large should somehow prioritize not their family, not their safety, but rather some stranger's entertainment is absurd.

It is an absurd idea. It is a selfish idea.

Our entertainment is not even secondary, tertiary at this time. It certainly isn't the priority. People's lives, their families, those are priority.

Get over yourselves if you think differently and that your need to be entertained and watch sports somehow holds value over all else.
d-train
RealGM

Post#235 » by d-train » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:21 am

The Sebastian Express wrote:
d-train wrote:Blazers should have the option of voiding Ariza's contract. How does the NBA have a right to insert itself in a contract between Blazers and Ariza, and make playing games optional? Blazers should formally void Ariza's contract and fight the NBA in court.

I know you like trolling other subforums, but the act has gotten old and stale so kindly knock it off.

Some of you need perspective who may think this way.

We are in an unprecedented time. There is a pandemic happening. People are dying, people are sick and others think taking safety measures and respecting people and trying to keep people from getting a disease is somehow a political statement or ideology, a conspiracy to take away freedoms and rights.

The idea that Trevor Ariza or any individual, whether on the team itself, within the organization, within the association or hell even out in the world at large should somehow prioritize not their family, not their safety, but rather some stranger's entertainment is absurd.

It is an absurd idea. It is a selfish idea.

Our entertainment is not even secondary, tertiary at this time. It certainly isn't the priority. People's lives, their families, those are priority.

Get over yourselves if you think differently and that your need to be entertained and watch sports somehow holds value over all else.

We are indeed in unprecedented times. The nuts are in control of our big cities and they are taking control of our ballot box. They are trying to take away our vote so we will no longer be a country managed by consent of the governed.

Oh yes, the selfish, racist, science denying, deplorables that cling to their god and guns. Well, I'm an atheist deplorable that doesn't care about anyone's race. I also don't care about anyone's entertainment. I support the players in every collective bargaining they have had with owners because I believe the CBA screws players out of money do to them and not owners. And, rather than name calling, I prefer debate and reasoned thoughtful ideas. The nuts seem to have a problem with debate and the exchange of ideas.

BTW, I did not raise any political issues in this discussion, you did. If you believe I am a troll, then do your job a ban me. You know I am not a troll. I support everything I say with well reasoned and thoughtful argument. You can disagree with me and ban me but it doesn't help make your bankrupt accusations true or reasonable.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#236 » by Goldbum » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:53 am

Nobody knows what Ariza's "true" motives are. Taken at face value his reasoning is not only moral but commendable. The issue I have is so many individuals use false pretenses to justify selfish behaviors. For instance all the upper middle classed and entitled youth that could honestly give two shakes about BLM but use George Floyd's name as justification to "purge" their pent up Covid19 frustrations and commit criminal acts that they suppose they can now justify. Truthfully I want to believe Ariza because I want to think the best of people. His decision could very well cost him that team option and somewhere in the neighborhood of 9-11 million dollars. If he values that relationship that much then good on him. Just like good on those who genuinely are seeking reform and social justice.
Now I see the differences here and am not making any political statement just using an illustration that everyone is talking about to prove a point. We can't know the hearts of anyone else, we can only guess. So be it Covid19 or justice reform I personally find it easier to look for commonality and empathy rather than devision and judgements. As a father I respect his choice.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
d-train
RealGM

Post#237 » by d-train » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:51 pm

Goldbum wrote:Nobody knows what Ariza's "true" motives are. Taken at face value his reasoning is not only moral but commendable. The issue I have is so many individuals use false pretenses to justify selfish behaviors. For instance all the upper middle classed and entitled youth that could honestly give two shakes about BLM but use George Floyd's name as justification to "purge" their pent up Covid19 frustrations and commit criminal acts that they suppose they can now justify. Truthfully I want to believe Ariza because I want to think the best of people. His decision could very well cost him that team option and somewhere in the neighborhood of 9-11 million dollars. If he values that relationship that much then good on him. Just like good on those who genuinely are seeking reform and social justice.
Now I see the differences here and am not making any political statement just using an illustration that everyone is talking about to prove a point. We can't know the hearts of anyone else, we can only guess. So be it Covid19 or justice reform I personally find it easier to look for commonality and empathy rather than devision and judgements. As a father I respect his choice.

I take Ariza at face value. I believe the reasons Ariza gave for dodging his responsibility to honor his contract. Apparently, he has no motive to lie. It could be even more cynical, but I'll talk about that later. The NBA is willing to allow Ariza to skip his obligation regardless of his reason. Here's a question for you: Should the NBA make their rule change permanent? Think of how many times a father had to play an NBA game when he could have been home with his children. If it's a good idea for 1 month, it should be permanent, right?

I have another question for you. Is the father that works 40 hours a week and takes care of his children less moral and commendable than Ariza? Should the father that works 40 hours a week quit his job and stay home with his children in order to be more moral and commendable? What about fathers with limited visitation with their children? There are many fathers that work full-time jobs in order to pay child support and then double up on expenses when they have custody of their children. Should these fathers quit their job if their employer doesn't give them long-term time off while they have their children, provided they have someway to continue to pay child support and pay their bills while not working? Is the father that works 40 hours a week to pay child support, and continues to work when he has custody, less moral and commendable than Ariza? Maybe, I would have loved my dad no matter what he did, but the memory I can't forget is when he stayed awake all night, he got no sleep, so I wasn't alone as I fell in-and-out of sleep all night with an earache. He was there sitting by me every time I woke. The next morning when my mom woke up, my dad took a shower and worked 14 hours. I knew I was special to my parents because of the sacrifices they made.

Another problem I have with the NBA's rule change is it hurts teams. It hurts some teams more than others and makes no attempt to mitigate the damage the rule change causes. Here's my cynical point I mentioned earlier: Suppose Ariza used this rule change as an attempt to renegotiate his contract. Ariza's agent could have called Olshey and said, guarantee my clients $11M for 20-21, or he has other plans this August.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#238 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:20 pm

It's pretty messed up the mom wont let him change the visitation month, but with Trevor put in that tough situation I respect a man who chooses his family and kids first.

Think of it this way, you had a time off request on the work calendar for a long time. Something happens and suddenly work needs you during your scheduled time off. I don't support you getting fired for going ahead and taking that time off, but maybe the belief that employees deserve scheduled time off is not shared by everyone.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#239 » by GEE » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:30 pm

I'm gonna chose to stay off the moral high ground for now and just say, This is Business and a multi-million dollar one at that. Morals and ethics are nice, but they mix with business about as well as oil and water.

As for the FRP and FAs... I hope we use the FRP with Little to bring us a legit player with 2-5 years of experience. Top move of my dreams right now...

Blazers trade: FRP / Little / (overpay/whatever it takes)
Blazers get: KYLE KUZMA

Blazers championship window roster for next 2-3 years:

Dame / Simons
CJ / Trent
Hood / Kuzma
Collins / Melo
Nurkic / Whiteside
d-train
RealGM

Post#240 » by d-train » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:46 pm

I'm ok with trading our pick and Little. I would want a player that improves us in some way. A dynamic player like Lonzo Ball as an example. He's probably not realistic because he coming off a good year, but prior to last year he seemed like an out of favor talent.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers