ImageImageImageImageImage

The New York Knicks are hiring CAA’s William Wesley as Executive Vice President/Senior Advisor

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,551

Re: The New York Knicks are hiring CAA’s William Wesley as Executive Vice President/Senior Advisor 

Post#201 » by Capn'O » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:32 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
jvsimonetti0514 wrote:

The Mavs- Hawks trade the other year cost the Mavs a top 10 protected pick. So I figured at least that and maybe our late round picks. Im sure the cost will vary depending where we end up in the lottery.

Trading ANY picks WHAT!

LaMelo is not Ja Morant.

I'm usually not a fan of trading picks. At all.

But, the Knicks have 7 #1 picks in the next 4 years, plus however many #2 picks. I mean, even assuming, after all the dust from trades settles, they are back to having 4, that's 11 players within 4 years. Sure, in that period of time, they'll have decisions based on cost, talent and fit, on Frank, DSJr, Knox and immediately with Trier and Dotson. Heck, even RJ, Mitch and Iggy, if we go full 4 years.

That's still quite a few potential young players to fit on the team.

At some point, the team may trade a pick or two.

Of course, it completely worth speculating and stating it's better to hold them in trade for a bonafide star, and I hope that they do. But if the cost is right and if Perrin and Co think LaMelo is worth it, yeah, I'd burn a pick for that.

Yup. Getting a high level young talent is WHY you amass the war chest. If we think LaMelo is that dude and need to trade up to get him you throw in late firsts without even thinking about it.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Re: The New York Knicks are hiring CAA’s William Wesley as Executive Vice President/Senior Advisor 

Post#202 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:43 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:i guess this is the knicks new all in strategy

were getting players based on relationships not quality of play or ownership

were trying to convince people though association not success

Why can't it be both?

well because we dont have a winning organization or a culture of success or quality ownership

for starters
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,706

Post#203 » by F N 11 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:52 pm

Well damn! Stephen A believe in it. This is exciting..

CEO of the not trading RJ club.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,137

Post#204 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:19 am

NoLayupRule wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:i guess this is the knicks new all in strategy

were getting players based on relationships not quality of play or ownership

were trying to convince people though association not success

Why can't it be both?

well because we dont have a winning organization or a culture of success or quality ownership

for starters

It's possible to build one and get players via relationships at the same time.

I'm not specifically criticizing you, but SO much of sports analysis is retroactive story telling.

I mean, and granted it took a few minutes, but does anyone talk about the Clippers as a horrific joke franchise anymore? Even for a moment? I mean, even for a "remember when?" remark? Nope. It's like that period of history doesn't even exist anymore. Just a model franchise. Well, as I'm sure you remember, they were the GOLD STANDARD for joke franchises in professional sports. For years. Longer than even the Knicks current run. Of course, it took their wacky old racist owner having a relationship with his gold digging tart GF to set it all "right", while the Knicks are stuck with Dolan for the foreseeable future. But it could still happen here.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,374

Post#205 » by god shammgod » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:40 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,374

Post#206 » by god shammgod » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:42 am

Read on Twitter
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,636

Post#207 » by DaGawd » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:19 am

We'll see
BaF
Washington Wizards
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,551

Post#208 » by Capn'O » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:24 am

Blah blah blah. Just continue the rebuild until you have the kind of pieces to make those moves.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Orange Mamba
Analyst
And1: 3,224

Post#209 » by Orange Mamba » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:46 am

2010 wrote:Man, fk-a-Randle! Y’all killin’ the good vibes of this thread talking about that oversized Reggie Jackson looking muhfuggah.

:lol:

:lol: :lol:
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,285

Post#210 » by Zenzibar » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:48 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
I don't necassary disagree with the "overall" take. That Randle is a complete net negative. However as Leon Rose put it RJ and Mitch are the core pieces of this team. We should hopefully be adding a 3rd core piece to this team via the draft. Randle simply does not compliment there games. So that is why if I can simply just get rid of him for nothing (remove his $4 MM of left of money for the 2022 season now). I would do it with essentially no return. The reason I say that is even for a much cheaper price option I can find a 4 man that simply open up more of the floor for the guys we really care about and want to see develop. With Mitch, Randle, and RJ on the floor we simply just don't have enough shooting and the odd man out of that group is Randle without question because the others are on rookie contracts.

True.

Randle has to produce another 20/10 season at his salary level and he can be moved for another #1 during the season.
So we should be encouraging him to grow as a player. Look, Randle may be a top 10 forward in the East, yeah I said it and don't laugh.

Also to your and others point, there is no way we don't package a 2022 or beyond 1st in some trade soon, but beware some 2022 high schoolers are already getting big headlines.
In any event we have the cap space to outright sign an all-star and trade for another.
Rise if the Rose.

The last thing. Yo MPHarris, have you advised Melo that Leon is keeping Mitch as a core and therefore his dream of drafting Wiseman just vanished? lol.. :)

I already said multiple times that Wiseman is a slim chance to the Knicks (doesn't mean im gonna stop pushing him in the draft threads) :D

So with that being said, I am glad to hear that Leon Rose still believes in DSJ and confirmed that Randle will be back here. Hopefully we can provide more help around Randle so to take off some pressure off him. It's obvious he's not a #1 option but can be a good 3rd-4th option.

Do your thing Bro :D

As far as Randle, I agree. This guy has a Zack Randolph type game but Zack came in on a loaded Portland team and eased his way in. Not like Fizdale did to him in front of the hungry wolves of Knicksdom.

Randle will be fun to watch with a slick guard putting him into better isolations, without the added responsibilities to run the offense. :nonono:
Julius is on a nice, short contract and since we're looking at guards this year, there really no rush to move him this off-season.
RealGM
And1: 39,138

Post#211 » by 2010 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:18 am

Orange Mamba wrote:
2010 wrote:Man, fk-a-Randle! Y’all killin’ the good vibes of this thread talking about that oversized Reggie Jackson looking muhfuggah.

:lol: :lol:

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
DaGawd
RealGM

Post#212 » by DaGawd » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:07 am

Zenzibar wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
True.

Randle has to produce another 20/10 season at his salary level and he can be moved for another #1 during the season.
So we should be encouraging him to grow as a player. Look, Randle may be a top 10 forward in the East, yeah I said it and don't laugh.

Also to your and others point, there is no way we don't package a 2022 or beyond 1st in some trade soon, but beware some 2022 high schoolers are already getting big headlines.
In any event we have the cap space to outright sign an all-star and trade for another.
Rise if the Rose.

The last thing. Yo MPHarris, have you advised Melo that Leon is keeping Mitch as a core and therefore his dream of drafting Wiseman just vanished? lol.. :)

I already said multiple times that Wiseman is a slim chance to the Knicks (doesn't mean im gonna stop pushing him in the draft threads) :D

So with that being said, I am glad to hear that Leon Rose still believes in DSJ and confirmed that Randle will be back here. Hopefully we can provide more help around Randle so to take off some pressure off him. It's obvious he's not a #1 option but can be a good 3rd-4th option.

As far as Randle, I agree. This guy has a Zack Randolph type game but Zack came in on a loaded Portland team and eased his way in. Not like Fizdale did to him in front of the hungry wolves of Knicksdom.

Randle will be fun to watch with a slick guard putting him into better isolations, without the added responsibilities to run the offense. :nonono:
Julius is on a nice, short contract and since we're looking at guards this year, there really no rush to move him this off-season.

Randles problem is he himself thinks he's a point forward when he's really not...needs to just focus on finishing only.. his handles are ass
BaF
Washington Wizards
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#213 » by Nazrmohamed » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:29 pm

Infinitimind wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
Understand that 2021 picks are absolutely untradedable and LaMelo is neither Trae Young nor Luka Doncic. To me, while LaMelo is going to be an elite passer, Killian Hayes will win more games for his team.

If we pick around 4 get Killian and draft BPA at 27 and 36.

I feel you on pick 6 but I wouldn't mind trading up from pick 27. So if I could maybe trade DSJ and pick 27 to get somewhere in the late teens Im down for it. I mean, if you could end up with Hayes and then be in the running for a guy like Nesmith id do it.

Dsj has no value right now. We have destroyed his and Knox value so bad, you are lucky if you get second round picks for them.You want to move up this year, trade 27 and 3 million dollar. Owners will be looking for cash

And we have it. I just dont really understand how the whole cash thing works but sure if you could do that and save DSJ for a early se one rounder then Im probably down for that
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#214 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:14 pm

god shammgod wrote:
Read on Twitter

Should I be happy or sad here?

Larry is a slippery guy. He might like it because it will completely torpedo the Knicks. :D
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#215 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:18 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Why can't it be both?

for starters

It's possible to build one and get players via relationships at the same time.

I'm not specifically criticizing you, but SO much of sports analysis is retroactive story telling.

I mean, and granted it took a few minutes, but does anyone talk about the Clippers as a horrific joke franchise anymore? Even for a moment? I mean, even for a "remember when?" remark? Nope. It's like that period of history doesn't even exist anymore. Just a model franchise. Well, as I'm sure you remember, they were the GOLD STANDARD for joke franchises in professional sports. For years. Longer than even the Knicks current run. Of course, it took their wacky old racist owner having a relationship with his gold digging tart GF to set it all "right", while the Knicks are stuck with Dolan for the foreseeable future. But it could still happen here.

Quote myself (Hey! James Brown voice)

Just so you see what I should have added.

I think the team COULD build while building relationships, but it's VERY on point to be concerned, because it's Dolan and it's the Knicks.

I mean, he hired LEON ROSE. It's another example of chasing a star name exec, and obviously his biggest selling point is that he's connected around the league, which is safe to assume he's here to lure and close the deal around "stars", which for the Knicks, has never really worked out well.

So, we are back to a variation on the Phil hire. We hope that Rose has enough juice and cred for Dolan to leave him MOSTLY alone, and that his bball acumen, or those of people he hires, works out for the positive.

It's also realistic to imagine it all goes horribly south.
Zenzibar
General Manager

Post#216 » by Zenzibar » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:44 pm

DaGawd wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:I already said multiple times that Wiseman is a slim chance to the Knicks (doesn't mean im gonna stop pushing him in the draft threads) :D

Randles problem is he himself thinks he's a point forward when he's really not...needs to just focus on finishing only.. his handles are ass

While I agree, I would put that initial failed introduction of Randle in NY solely on the shoulders of Fizdale.
DaGawd
RealGM

Post#217 » by DaGawd » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:56 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
DaGawd wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:

While I agree, I would put that initial failed introduction of Randle in NY solely on the shoulders of Fizdale.

I can't do that since he's played like this his whole career. Was never a fan of his game always saw him as out of control since his Laker days.. I tried to rationalize it after basically trading KP to create cap space to sign him but I can't.. dude sucks...
BaF
Washington Wizards
Zenzibar
General Manager

Post#218 » by Zenzibar » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:11 pm

DaGawd wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
DaGawd wrote:Randles problem is he himself thinks he's a point forward when he's really not...needs to just focus on finishing only.. his handles are ass

I can't do that since he's played like this his whole career. Was never a fan of his game always saw him as out of control since his Laker days.. I tried to rationalize it after basically trading KP to create cap space to sign him but I can't.. dude sucks...

You know who he reminds me of Zack Randolph. Terrible defender, no handle, but can beast with the best of them down low. Actually Julius has better %, in many areas.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#219 » by Nazrmohamed » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:20 pm

[quote="Mecca"]I have an article coming in later today, but we absolutely can't go another season with 8 new contracts on the team in a year. It's a revolving door. After time, we have to commit to building a core and committing to a few players for multiple seasons.[/quote]

Id dissagree with you in that the guys we bring in aren't part of our core. I said it before that the Knicks are horrible at controlling the narrative. You could do the same thing and have two different narratives about the same action. IMO the Knicks have been doing things the right way when put through the lense of building through the draft. We haven't traded draft picks really since Phil got here, most of our higher draft picks are still here and we've drafted well in the second round. The guys we bring in via FA are still on the young side but they are exactly what I've asked for which is guys coming off rookie contacts who were once drafted in the lottery but need a change of scenery and can provide some level of leadership while the young guys develop.

Where have we not done that? Outside of Taj Gibson and Morris who we later traded for yet another draft pick? Where have we not executed on our process? Well I'll tell you how, its what we say as an organization.

- Mills actually gave himself his own pink slip. Rather than promote everything I just said he kept saying over and over that these moves were to make us attractive in FA, and that the assets would help us upgrade the roster. Why? Why even say that? Because theres still that need to sell your team as one that won't tank. Sam Hinkie was smart, he doubled down on his "process" and while it was controversial at least it showed direction. Mills and Perry actually hurt themselves with this "balanced approach" of talking about development and then in the next second talking about FA and upgrades. Its double speak and IMO what got him fired.

- they just weren't the best drafters of lottery talent. I think the knicks don't get enough credit for moves they've made in the second round. But thier lottery picks have been trash. Knox sucks, Ntilikina sucks, DSJ was traded for but he sucks. And sure, they are young and I'm not saying can't still be developed but you pick in that range and you expect more than we've seen and you expect to see year over yr growth and I don't think the strongest supporter can say we've managed this process the best we can or even drafted the BPA in those instances.

Its too late to change history but this new FO needs to hire a staff that can teach skills and accountability. And I mean with the guys we have, not simply importing everything. And maybe refrain from the whole conversation of making NY a place FA wanna play in until WITH PLAYERS WE DRAFTED we can win games. We need to develop stars out of RJ and Mitch and THEN get role players in FA that fit THEM. Not the other way around.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#220 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:11 pm

god shammgod wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Have to admit, the Macri article made me wary about Zanin #2 (the scout)

On the one hand, it pointed out Scout Zanin is connected.
On the other hand, he seemed to push drafting Syracuse guys that weren't that good, or possibly pushed for Monk, based on connectivity.

Obviously, I have no idea, and hope he's good.

At the least, again, Rose seems to be building up a cadre connected to each other, but not to prior regimes at Knicks/MSG. And that's a good thing.

Return to New York Knicks