ImageImageImage

Tremont Waters is Your 2020 G-League Rookie of the Year

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Re: Tremont Waters is Your 2020 G-League Rookie of the Year 

Post#21 » by Taget » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:26 pm

I guess after Abdel Nasser fizzled after lighting up the d/g league and Carsen Edwards looking all-star level against g-league/summer league talent and lost against NBA talent I am gun shy about making any predictions. But Waters is definitely going to be in contention for the third string spot. And if he doesn't make our roster he probably makes someone elses.

List of Red Claw Rookies of the Years in the last 10 years:

DeShawn Sims 2010-2011 (I assume still playing in Europe)
Tim Frazier 2014-2015 (also won MVP that year, now a journeyman who played 13.1 minutes a game for the Detroit Pistons this season)
Abdel Nader 2016-2017 (fringe player for the Oklahoma City Thunder)
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,604

Post#22 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:06 pm

Waters is more skilled and more entertaining than Wanamaker but I'm not sure he's better when it comes to winning and losing. Wanamaker is a grown man: strong, and a tough defender. Wanamaker is also 6 inches taller.

If Waters had Wanamaker's body, Waters would be an all star caliber point guard.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,509

Post#23 » by snowman » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:10 am

Waters reminds me of IT4, but also reminds me of Dee Brown. He don't have the hops that Brown had, but as far as the shooting and play making, I see a lot of similarities.
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#24 » by Curmudgeon » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:42 am

Dee Brown had limited point guard skills. Waters is light years ahead as a passer. Best comp for me is Shane Larkin. There is also Phil Pressey, but Waters is better now than Pressey every was.

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,345

Post#25 » by Captain_Caveman » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:27 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:Congrats to him!

Is there a list of previous winners?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/awards/roy.html

Red Claws players have won 3 of the last 6 ROYs. Ainge has drafted 2 of the last 4 ROYs. Abdel Nader was the last one.

So of the 18 winners of this award, 1 has so far had a significant NBA career? (Robert Covington)

I've read/heard a few scout types who like him more than Edwards, but yeah.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,509

Post#26 » by snowman » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:41 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Dee Brown had limited point guard skills. Waters is light years ahead as a passer. Best comp for me is Shane Larkin. There is also Phil Pressey, but Waters is better now than Pressey every was.

I agree completely. I also think Waters is a better passer than Larkin. I really want him to take over the 3rd PG spot from Wannamaker next season.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#27 » by return2glory » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:56 pm

Congrats to Tremont! Well deserved. He is an exciting player on both ends of the floor.

Caren had a really good year too in the time he spent in the G-League. Tremont is more NBA ready. But Carsen will figure out how to be effective in the league.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,257

Post#28 » by hugepatsfan » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:22 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:Congrats to him!

Is there a list of previous winners?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/awards/roy.html

Red Claws players have won 3 of the last 6 ROYs. Ainge has drafted 2 of the last 4 ROYs. Abdel Nader was the last one.

So of the 18 winners of this award, 1 has so far had a significant NBA career? (Robert Covington)

Yeah but remember where Waters was drafted. Covington is the only one that had a "significant" impact off that list but Abdel Nader, Quinn Cook, Tim Frazier, Alonzo Gee, Louis Amundson and Will Bynum have all been rotation players. If Waters is even a 3rd point guard he's a really good pick for where he was drafted and this is at least an encouraging sign towards that.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,531

Post#29 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:31 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/awards/roy.html

Yeah but remember where Waters was drafted. Covington is the only one that had a "significant" impact off that list but Abdel Nader, Quinn Cook, Tim Frazier, Alonzo Gee, Louis Amundson and Will Bynum have all been rotation players. If Waters is even a 3rd point guard he's a really good pick for where he was drafted and this is at least an encouraging sign towards that.

Agreed. Good for him. The odds are still against him becoming more than a replacement-level player. I hope he beats those odds.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#30 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:19 am

hugepatsfan wrote:

Agreed. Good for him. The odds are still against him becoming more than a replacement-level player. I hope he beats those odds.

Oh, I think he will beat those odds easily. But will he ever rise much above replacement level? That's a much harder question. He still has issues on defense, e.g. it's way too easy to rub him off on a pick. He'll never get taller, but he has to get stronger.

He's fortunate that the game has changed since the 1990's. In the hand check era, he would have no chance.

31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,795

Post#31 » by 31to6 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:46 am

Curmudgeon wrote:Waters is more skilled and more entertaining than Wanamaker but I'm not sure he's better when it comes to winning and losing. Wanamaker is a grown man: strong, and a tough defender. Wanamaker is also 6 inches taller.

If Waters had Wanamaker's body, Waters would be an all star caliber point guard.

I love Tremont but Wanamaker gets mad disrespect. We switch everything, and he was banging with guys like Milsap last year. Also led the league in FT% and near the top in catch and shoot 3%.

But mostly the size and strength on defense are easy to take for granted, until you have a Tremont Waters/Donovan Mitchell backcourt:)
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,014

Post#32 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:41 pm

Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,531

Post#33 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:30 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/awards/roy.html

Being seen as better than Edwards is a very low bar these days. Edwards is seen as nothing but a scorer ... who doesn't score. He doesn't even have cool hair any more.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,333

Post#34 » by Triple7 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:57 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:

Being seen as better than Edwards is a very low bar these days. Edwards is seen as nothing but a scorer ... who doesn't score. He doesn't even have cool hair any more.

I agree with this. I have seen enough of Carsen to know he’s useless. He was given enough exposure to show case his skill and worth, instead he showed he was a bust. He can’t shoot, he can’t pass. We were much better off giving Waters his minutes last year.
Ill News
General Manager
And1: 16,306

Post#35 » by Ill News » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:53 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Dee Brown had limited point guard skills. Waters is light years ahead as a passer. Best comp for me is Shane Larkin. There is also Phil Pressey, but Waters is better now than Pressey every was.

Great comparisons, I thought of those players as well. Though based on what he's shown, I think Waters has a higher IQ and better PG skills than either of those two, which gives me hope that he'll be an impactful 6th man in the future.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,014

Post#36 » by ConstableGeneva » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:19 pm

Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#37 » by Ernest » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:06 am

How does it work now, can we see Waters or Tacko in a game this year?
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,276

Post#38 » by Parliament10 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:42 pm

Ernest wrote:How does it work now, can we see Waters or Tacko in a game this year?

If the Two-Way contract rules stand, then just in the 8 Regular Season games. But, Not in the Playoffs.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#39 » by ParticleMan » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:11 pm

it'd be such a huge bonus if tre could become a solid backup to kemba next year. i have a feeling wanamaker will get an offer he can't refuse, and he's earned it.

Return to Boston Celtics