ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: New Argument: Who is the greatest men's college basketball player evah?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,439

OT: New Argument: Who is the greatest men's college basketball player evah? 

Post#1 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:34 am

For me it's a close three:

Maravich, Alcindor, and Walton. I don't know how to separate them.
Free Palestine
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,898

Re: OT: New Argument: Who is the greatest men's college basketball player evah? 

Post#2 » by GONYK » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:42 am

Tyler Hansbrough is somewhere in this conversation
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,838

Post#3 » by SelbyCobra » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:50 am

It's Alcindor, and not particularly close. This anecdote is incredible:

https://grantland.com/features/the-50-greatest-college-basketball-players-all-time/

But to me, the thing that will always be most unfathomable about Alcindor was his very first game, played when he was an ineligible freshman: UCLA was coming off back-to-back national championships. As an exhibition, the Bruin varsity — ranked no. 1 in the nation — opened the season by scrimmaging the freshmen team. Alcindor had 31 points, 21 boards, and eight blocks. The freshmen hammered the varsity by 15 points; the no. 1 team in the country could not beat a player who could not yet play. As an ineligible 18-year-old, Alcindor was (at worst) the fourth or fifth-best basketball player in the world. So I guess talent does matter, sometimes.
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,838

Post#4 » by SelbyCobra » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:54 am

In more modern times, Laettner and Manning are both up there, and the most forgotten modern GOAT candidate of recent memory to me is Big Dog Robinson. Because man, I remember tuning into his Saturday games on CBS and it was like a must see event the way he put up insane numbers every single game. It was similar to watching Zion at Duke or Carter at UNC. Just a monster scorer.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#5 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:13 am

SelbyCobra wrote:It's Alcindor, and not particularly close. This anecdote is incredible:

https://grantland.com/features/the-50-greatest-college-basketball-players-all-time/

But to me, the thing that will always be most unfathomable about Alcindor was his very first game, played when he was an ineligible freshman: UCLA was coming off back-to-back national championships. As an exhibition, the Bruin varsity — ranked no. 1 in the nation — opened the season by scrimmaging the freshmen team. Alcindor had 31 points, 21 boards, and eight blocks. The freshmen hammered the varsity by 15 points; the no. 1 team in the country could not beat a player who could not yet play. As an ineligible 18-year-old, Alcindor was (at worst) the fourth or fifth-best basketball player in the world. So I guess talent does matter, sometimes.

I recall hearing that one. He was unstoppable.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#6 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:16 am

Corlis Williamson and Stacey King were excellent college players.

Back when Pistol Pete played, Notre Dame had Austin Carr who was putting up 36 ppg.
Free Palestine
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,083

Post#7 » by moocow007 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:26 am

Yeah I would go with the artist formerly known as Lew Alcindor.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,083

Post#8 » by moocow007 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:28 am

David Thompson was another great college player.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#9 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:14 pm

A lot of people laugh at me for bringing him up because they think of his nba career but few had the college career of Christian Lattner. The man is in the convo at least.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#10 » by br7knicks » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:37 pm

All great players.

To me, if it's not pistol Pete, I don't know who.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,134

Post#11 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:41 pm

So, UCLA basically filled Kareem's spot with Bill Walton? God damn. Ah, 3 year separation.

Still.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#12 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:28 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:So, UCLA basically filled Kareem's spot with Bill Walton? God damn. Ah, 3 year separation.

Still.

Walton could really pass the ball which gave a dimension that Lew didn’t have. And that NCAA tournament Finals game against Memphis State was probably the greatest single game a college player has ever played.
Free Palestine
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,544

Post#13 » by Capn'O » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:04 pm

SelbyCobra wrote:In more modern times, Laettner and Manning are both up there, and the most forgotten modern GOAT candidate of recent memory to me is Big Dog Robinson. Because man, I remember tuning into his Saturday games on CBS and it was like a must see event the way he put up insane numbers every single game. It was similar to watching Zion at Duke or Carter at UNC. Just a monster scorer.

I remember doing the same. Big Dog was unbelievable.

On that note - Zion is in the conversation though quickly dismissed due to no title. His numbers were completely off the scale.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Strick
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,396

Post#14 » by Strick » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:16 pm

This will show my age a little bit I remember growing up being absolutely wowed by Michael Beasley at K State. He was a man amongst boys and seemed like he would get 20 and 20 every night. Not saying he’s the best of all-time but I think he is on a very short list in the more recent history
RGM Knicks BAF- Minnesota Timberwolves

PG: Coby|Ivey|Bones
SG: Monk|Dinwiddie|Smith Jr
SF: B Miller|Jalen J|Cissoko
PF: Paolo|Obi|Walker
C: SenGOON|Koloko|____
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#15 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:18 pm

Strick wrote:This will show my age a little bit I remember growing up being absolutely wowed by Michael Beasley at K State. He was a man amongst boys and seemed like he would get 20 and 20 every night. Not saying he’s the best of all-time but I think he is on a very short list in the more recent history

Damn you're old. But not nearly as old as shammgod.
Free Palestine
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,934

Post#16 » by Fury » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:40 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:For me it's a close three:

I think these 3 are good picks
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#17 » by Nazrmohamed » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:48 pm

Christian Laetner in my lifetime
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#18 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:37 pm

Chris Jackson at LSU
Free Palestine
MadGrinch
Veteran
And1: 412

Post#19 » by MadGrinch » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:00 pm

I gotta go with Lew Alcindor , they literally took the dunk away because of him ...and it only made him better.
Its because I'm green isn't it?
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,815

Post#20 » by 8516knicks » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:59 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:For me it's a close three:

For me (college) Kareem, Wilt, Maravich (one man team) and David Robinson's senior season.

Most interesting one game duels - in Philly Kobe's father had 72 and Rich Laurel (Overbrook) 65 in same game
in college - Maravich had 72 (I think) and Issell 65 for Kentucky.

Return to New York Knicks