CoVid Check in / update..... or 'Where is Paul Panks?'

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Re: CoVid Check in / update..... or 'Where is Paul Panks?' 

Post#101 » by MathiasPW » Tue May 26, 2020 7:37 pm

Hi all,

just passing by to mention I´m okay and well, although I´ve not logged on for the longest time since I joined this forum.

Just too much stuff going on, and it´s hard to think of sports atm.

Hope everyone (and your loved ones) is safe out there.
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#102 » by nevetsov » Sun May 31, 2020 11:23 am

Frank Lee wrote:Well, the flood gates will reopen in AZ soon, so the general public of Lake Havasu is in full force of not practicing any of the recommended guidelines. Its weird...

Hey Frank! Long time no speak my friend.

In Australia, most states and territories have closed their interstate borders for anything other than essential travellers. The exceptions are NSW and VIC, which are the two most populated states and coincidentally the 2 states where COVID remains an issue.

My state of QLD is the third most populated and we are seeing increasing pressure from adjacent NSW to open our borders to them. Our premier remains reluctant given we have only 5 active cases in the entire state on the back of some stringent social distancing regulations in place - more so than NSW and VIC. Currently, anyone entering QLD is met at either the border or the airport by police and made to quarantine for 14 days (full home isolation). Not adhering results in a $1300 fine, and they do spot checks.

Within my state, the current restrictions allow for up to 5 visitors to a residence, and up to 10 people allowed to meet in outdoor or commercial venue (park, restaurant, bistro). No bars are allowed to open yet, and given restaurants are only allowed to sit a maximum of 10 at a time, a lot of the bigger ones choose to remain closed because it's not worth the overheads for that amount of revenue. Also, you can only travel within 150km of your residence unless essential.

Fortunately, the government is providing businesses with stimulus per employer ("job keeper") of $1500/ fortnight to keep people attached to jobs until at least September. But we will be paying for it for generations to come.

From tomorrow, the state restrictions relax, to travel anywhere within the state including overnight stays, up to 20 people in a residence and 20 in a business (seated restaurants and bistros, still no bars or gaming). This was pulled forward 2 weeks due to such a positive response and reaction to the aggressive measures already in place.

On a personal level, I lost my job in the airline industry in April. At this stage I'm not too concerned and was using the time to get back into a normal routine, eat better and get fit. Bought a road bike and have been cycling a couple of times a week.

On Friday, while on a ride, my front wheel locked up. I went over the handlebars and woke up in hospital hours later. Lost a lot of skin and suffered some head trauma. Something called retrograde amnesia. It's getting better by the day, I've been discharged but there are still some things that are spotty. I was looking back over my USA trip photos and amazing how much I've done that's still coming back to me.

Apparently my helmet saved my life - I'd be a corpse now without it. So please, anyone still reading, please make sure that whenever you or your family are out there on the road, protect yourself. I always thought I was invincible and that it'd never happen to me, but you never know what's around the corner.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,145

Post#103 » by Frank Lee » Mon Jun 1, 2020 4:38 pm

Damn Nevets.... sorry to hear about that TKO. That must have been quite a tumble. Glad you are recovering. A little brush with mortality is needed for us all, and I guess in a sense we are all getting it.... just not over the Hbars. Isure hope you get back all those mental souvenirs. If I could, I'd photo remind you of a particularly good night in Coyote Ugly's ... **** Im going to miss 'the old' vegas. Sorry about the job crap too.

Keep rolling bro...
What ? Me Worry ?
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,204

Post#104 » by King4Day » Tue Jun 2, 2020 1:02 pm

nevetsov wrote:
Frank Lee wrote:Well, the flood gates will reopen in AZ soon, so the general public of Lake Havasu is in full force of not practicing any of the recommended guidelines. Its weird...

Hey Frank! Long time no speak my friend.

In Australia, most states and territories have closed their interstate borders for anything other than essential travellers. The exceptions are NSW and VIC, which are the two most populated states and coincidentally the 2 states where COVID remains an issue.

My state of QLD is the third most populated and we are seeing increasing pressure from adjacent NSW to open our borders to them. Our premier remains reluctant given we have only 5 active cases in the entire state on the back of some stringent social distancing regulations in place - more so than NSW and VIC. Currently, anyone entering QLD is met at either the border or the airport by police and made to quarantine for 14 days (full home isolation). Not adhering results in a $1300 fine, and they do spot checks.

Within my state, the current restrictions allow for up to 5 visitors to a residence, and up to 10 people allowed to meet in outdoor or commercial venue (park, restaurant, bistro). No bars are allowed to open yet, and given restaurants are only allowed to sit a maximum of 10 at a time, a lot of the bigger ones choose to remain closed because it's not worth the overheads for that amount of revenue. Also, you can only travel within 150km of your residence unless essential.

Fortunately, the government is providing businesses with stimulus per employer ("job keeper") of $1500/ fortnight to keep people attached to jobs until at least September. But we will be paying for it for generations to come.

From tomorrow, the state restrictions relax, to travel anywhere within the state including overnight stays, up to 20 people in a residence and 20 in a business (seated restaurants and bistros, still no bars or gaming). This was pulled forward 2 weeks due to such a positive response and reaction to the aggressive measures already in place.

On a personal level, I lost my job in the airline industry in April. At this stage I'm not too concerned and was using the time to get back into a normal routine, eat better and get fit. Bought a road bike and have been cycling a couple of times a week.

On Friday, while on a ride, my front wheel locked up. I went over the handlebars and woke up in hospital hours later. Lost a lot of skin and suffered some head trauma. Something called retrograde amnesia. It's getting better by the day, I've been discharged but there are still some things that are spotty. I was looking back over my USA trip photos and amazing how much I've done that's still coming back to me.

Apparently my helmet saved my life - I'd be a corpse now without it. So please, anyone still reading, please make sure that whenever you or your family are out there on the road, protect yourself. I always thought I was invincible and that it'd never happen to me, but you never know what's around the corner.

Glad to hear you're recovering. That's really scary. Keep us posted as you improve.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,368

Post#105 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jun 6, 2020 10:39 pm

I see AZ is only behind Texas and California in new cases yesterday. So much for the heat helping much. It's near 100 in Austin today.
Of course AZ and Texas have opened quite a bit, which is the main cause there.

Be careful and stay safe everyone.

Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#106 » by Mattya » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:16 pm

I was supposed to fly down soon but 2400 new cases reported yesterday is making me rethink being down in AZ.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#107 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:26 pm

Anyone been flying? I'm considering flying with my wife and 2 kids to Wisconsin to visit my family in July but with the recent spike in cases is troubling. One idea was to fly allegiant out of Mesa to a small airport in WI to try to minimize exposure to people at the big airports. Figure it would be much easier to social distance at that airport and flights probably won't be very full.

Tough decision because we don't want to be reckless but my parents haven't seen my kids in over a year (they were supposed to come in March but it got cancelled) and timing might never be perfect as well probably see flair ups in various places for the next year.

Edit: with the recent explosion of cases not going to be flying out of here.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
hollywood6964
Analyst
And1: 1,397

Post#108 » by hollywood6964 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:39 pm

bwgood77 wrote:I see AZ is only behind Texas and California in new cases yesterday. So much for the heat helping much. It's near 100 in Austin today.
Of course AZ and Texas have opened quite a bit, which is the main cause there.

Be careful and stay safe everyone.

Spike in cases lines up with the protests and riots timeline. Of course there were going to be more cases when states opened up, but the big, drastic spike is because of the protests and riots, and then all the regular daily things those people do to spread it from there.

Here in AZ we really haven't opened up much to be honest. I've been to a restaurant only a few times, and it's every other table opened, employees wearing masks, etc. Controlled environment. I'm sure there's some night clubs serving one dish that have loopholed the game, but it hasn't been that bad. Now that we have the mask policy, I'm hoping everyone just wears the **** thing, and just gets this over with. For now. But the tough part that's uncontrolled is the protests and looting, like clockwork, 2 weeks after they started, the numbers starting climbing- and for that age demographic too- young people.

I'm not a trump supporter, I'm pretty neutral as far as politics, but I'm really not a fan of the extreme left, saying the millions of protesters and thousands of rioters/looters are not spreading at any significant rate, but the restaurants are, is egregious. All of this nonsense needs to stop, just get on the same page. But that, will never happen.

On a side note, I did clean up on the stock market, like I said in march, because I knew this would happen, but now I guess I'm repositioning again....talk about a setback economically, not to mention I'm still reticent seeing my elder relatives due to the in-compliance of some.
Frank Lee
RealGM

Post#109 » by Frank Lee » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:51 pm

Here in Lake Havasu, the Bars and Restaurants are jammed. County Sheriff decided Ducey restrictions were unconstitutional and wont enforce any social distancing. Mayor defers to optional wearing to not ruffle any feathers. Californians over here in droves partying their socks off. Its quickly turning into an old persons disease. Local t-Rumpers scoff at mask wearing. (yes, its completely political here) Truly, people 'accuse you' of being a democrat if you wear a mask.

This blatant disregard for others sometimes turn me into a Covid fan. May be we should test less... heck why even test at all? Nobody gives a s**t in this town.
What ? Me Worry ?
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#110 » by cberry78 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:49 am

Frank Lee wrote:Here in Lake Havasu, the Bars and Restaurants are jammed. County Sheriff decided Ducey restrictions were unconstitutional and wont enforce any social distancing. Mayor defers to optional wearing to not ruffle any feathers. Californians over here in droves partying their socks off. Its quickly turning into an old persons disease. Local t-Rumpers scoff at mask wearing. (yes, its completely political here) Truly, people 'accuse you' of being a democrat if you wear a mask.

This blatant disregard for others sometimes turn me into a Covid fan. May be we should test less... heck why even test at all? Nobody gives a s**t in this town.

I'm sorry Frank, I hate living in a Red state too. :beer: Stay safe.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
Frank Lee
RealGM

Post#111 » by Frank Lee » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:18 am

Just an observation.... no rain on my parade
What ? Me Worry ?
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,562

Post#112 » by Calvin Klein » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:47 pm

Frank Lee wrote:Here in Lake Havasu, the Bars and Restaurants are jammed. County Sheriff decided Ducey restrictions were unconstitutional and wont enforce any social distancing. Mayor defers to optional wearing to not ruffle any feathers. Californians over here in droves partying their socks off. Its quickly turning into an old persons disease. Local t-Rumpers scoff at mask wearing. (yes, its completely political here) Truly, people 'accuse you' of being a democrat if you wear a mask.

This is insane.

I've stayed away from the forum for obvious reasons I guess.

I'm 37 yo, from Buenos Aires. We have been on a strict lockdown for more than 90 days now. We can only go out for essentials and always wearing a mask. I still can't get used to going out and seeing everybody with masks. If you need to move outside of your neighborhood "area" you have to ask for a permit which lasts 48 hours. We've "only" had about 1000+ deaths so far as a struggling country of 44 million people, but it's only now starting to peak.
Anti-lockdown people are starting to protest, of course, but it's nowhere near the craziness of the US.
Mental health is starting to become and issue for me. Anxiety attacks and the sort. Stuff that never happened to me before. It scares the **** out of me sometimes.

Hope everybody is fine here.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,577

Post#113 » by Fairview4Life » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:02 pm

hollywood6964 wrote:Spike in cases lines up with the protests and riots timeline. Of course there were going to be more cases when states opened up, but the big, drastic spike is because of the protests and riots...

People have actually studied where the protests were and where the outbreaks currently are, and it's not the protests.

Read on Twitter
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
hollywood6964
Analyst
And1: 1,397

Post#114 » by hollywood6964 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:33 am

Fairview4Life wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:Spike in cases lines up with the protests and riots timeline. Of course there were going to be more cases when states opened up, but the big, drastic spike is because of the protests and riots...

People have actually studied where the protests were and where the outbreaks currently are, and it's not the protests.

Read on Twitter

Ahahaha
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#115 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:12 pm

hollywood6964 wrote:Ahahaha

I mean, you can believe the data, or just trust your gut that the numbers have to be wrong. The numbers say that protests aren't the reason cases have exploded again.

Read on Twitter
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,368

Post#116 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:25 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:

I mean, you can believe the data, or just trust your gut that the numbers have to be wrong. The numbers say that protests aren't the reason cases have exploded again.

Read on Twitter

Well it spreads much more easily indoors than out, and it's mainly hit cities that opened things up early, or never really closed much (Florida, AZ, TX, etc), so it makes sense.

Those protests certainly didn't help, and probably got quite a few infected, but businesses open EVERYWHERE all day every day, where people are indoors next to each other, and A LOT of people in those states are anti mask...it's just going to spread. Even at the protests, in addition to being outdoors, a lot of people, it looked like most in pictures I saw, had masks. And it is also younger people, so even if it did spread quite a bit, it may have been a lot of asymptomatic people that never got tested.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#117 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:28 pm

bwgood77 wrote:Those protests certainly didn't help, and probably got quite a few infected, but businesses open EVERYWHERE all day every day, where people are indoors next to each other, and A LOT of people in those states are anti mask...it's just going to spread. Even at the protests, in addition to being outdoors, a lot of people, it looked like most in pictures I saw, had masks. And it is also younger people, so even if it did spread quite a bit, it may have been a lot of asymptomatic people that never got tested.

The first study I posted looked at the change in behaviour by non protestors. A lot more people stayed in, and there were a lot more people off the streets at night due to curfews that also kept the numbers down. The protests didn't hurt on aggregate.
Frank Lee
RealGM

Post#118 » by Frank Lee » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:36 pm

My bet is Rallies will outpace protests.

Im wondering, when confirmed you only get this once, how soon till we have Covid resorts?

A place where you go, catch it, get professionally treated, then quarantine on a nice beach or mountain top. Whos with me ???
What ? Me Worry ?
Mattya
RealGM

Post#119 » by Mattya » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:43 pm

hollywood6964 wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

Read on Twitter

Ahahaha

Facts not feelings.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#120 » by Mattya » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:47 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:

Read on Twitter

Meanwhile here in AZ positivity rate is insanely high in comparison to cities that had much larger protests. It’s almost like the protesters wore masks and the people going to clubs and rallies didn’t.

Return to Phoenix Suns